ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

Whats up NT, I figure this would fit in since this is a sneaker forum:

artnsole.jpg

I'm curating an art show in downtown LA taking place next January 19th.

40% of the proceeds will be going toward the Red Cross Japan Tsunami Relief fund and the remaining will be to the artist.

There will be music, giveaways and booze at the bar.

If you are interested in participating, have any questions, or would just like to go feel free to hit me up and I'll shoot you back details.

Additional information can be found on this thread:

http://niketalk.com/topic/323129/Yojie-x-RIF-LA-x-Attic-Artshow-1-17-2012-Proceeds----Red-Cro

Thanks NT!

I had to take an art class this past semester and it really got me interested. I wrote my final essay on Mark Bradford. I really like his work...
bradford-012.jpg

Can anybody recommend any galleries in Chicago? I just moved here a few months ago but would love to check out galleries not off Michigan Ave.
Thanks in advance all. 

Oh, and my favorite painting of all time can be seen below. I was spoiled living in London for two years and having the chance to see the art that I did, both there and on mainland Europe: 

delacroix10.JPG

Delacroix is an amazing artist, one of the best. If you guys can try getting your hands on a copy of his Journal, excellent book.

WILLd540 wrote:

p0tat0 5alad- does that 3d actually work? I like the idea, probably even better if it was never intended to work.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

My bad for not responding, the semester is over so I'm back home for break where my parents don't have internet
ohwell.gif
.  Yes the 3d print works with red/green glasses. I ended up making a 2nd 3d print but it was an image instead of text and I don't think it would translate as well on here versus seeing it in person. I'll try to make sure to check in once I get back to school because I haven't been keeping up with what you guys are doing.

Went to the LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) two days ago and they have a pretty impressive collection. The first thing I noticed before seeing any of the art was how much SPACE they have for a contemporary art museum. I think size wise, it's bigger than the MoMA and the Whitney, definitely bigger than SFMOMA.

The largest contemporary art space housed the works of Andy Warhol, Jeff Koons, and John Baldessari (SDSU alumni!) The Warhol stuff was actually pretty cool. Didn't care for the soup can stuff but I thought two particular works were great. The huge screen print titled Black and White Disaster was the most impressive thing there. There was also this blue painting of his that was really cool but I didn't get the name.

m65_13-warhol.jpg

Can anyone explain the appeal of Jeff Koons? I'm impressed by the scale of his work and the fact that his paintings are actually oil paintings (though I don't think he actually paints his own paintings) is interesting... I don't really get what his work is really about. Consumerism? Manufactured everyday items? Just doesn't impress me I guess.

The Richard Serra sculpture Band was AWESOME. Everyone needs to experience a Serra sculpture up close.

saltz6-19-07-5.jpg

They have Ai Weiwei's twelve zodiac bronzes on display until February of 2012 so go see them if you get the chance.

The Rothko they have at the LACMA is not as great as the one at the SFMOMA
laugh.gif
Just sayin'

They have a really impressive collection of Picasso's, they have some great paintings by David Park, Clyfford Still, Rene Magritte, and Joan Miro.

I hear you on Jeff Koons, seen some of his work, but hmmm. Kind of like most of Damien Hirst's work. COntroversy is good, as long as it's good art, but I'm sceptic on some of their works. Same goes for Andy, I think his early PAINTINGS are wicked, but his late works, were mostly business oriented and something was lost from them. Although I do have to admit, that Damien's latest paintings are nice.

Serra's wicked.

I'll be updating some more when I get back from my trip but, for those that don't know, the Khan Academy have a ton of videos in the subject of Art History. The Khan Academy is a free online website with video lectures/discussions on subjects ranging from Mathematics to English to the Humanities. I've already watched a couple so I can vouch for them. I think this is an invaluable resource for those interested in learning more about Art but aren't enrolled in an Art History course, those who don't know where to start, or those who just want to further their understanding.

Check out the Francis Bacon Triptych painting.
eek.gif
pimp.gif

Khan Academy Art History videos

I did that myself, its 24x30 on WaterColor Paper and I used a ballpoint pent and Permanent marker (color)

Just got back from the opening of the Jill Greenburg show.
It was ridiculous...in a good way.

Unfortunately, I can't post my favorites up without the possibility of be getting banned.

Sounds great.

BUMP.

How much does music affect your work? Inspiration? Favorites? Classical music?

Funny y'all are discussing the subject of music, because I was about to bump this thread for exactly that.
Specifically, what do you guys listen to when you are creating work. If you could list some names, I'd really appreciate it.

My art-music playlist is pretty frail and I want add to it.

This has been all over the internet as of last week. These are wooden sculptures done by japanese artists Haroshi, which are constructed by old skateboards that were skate by pros from DLXSF and HUF. Each piece has been created to reflect the very company that donated the boards for the art exhibit that happened this past Saturday.

01-arm.jpg

This was modeled after skater Peter Ramondetta's arm and actually has his tattoos lasered into the piece as well.

02-gary.jpg

Gary which was modeled after pro skater Dennis Busenitz's dog.

03-wheel.jpg

Skateboard wheel and bearing which was modeled after the Spitfire Classic.

05-zinger.jpg

Skateboard Cruiser

06-hydrant.png

Hydrant which was modeled after an LA fire hydrant.

Me personally, with this Frida Kahlo piece I've ben working on I've been listening to Blu "Her Favorite Colour" and Sades catalogue.......

Sidenote: Anyone know any good museums I can possibly submit my work to?

Those Haroshi sculptures are fascinating. Times like these that I truly understand why art is so "fine".

As of the music, mostly whatever I like. Lately I've been listening to a lot of:
- Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX
- The XX
- SBTRKT
- Skrillex
- Kid Cudi
- Amy Winehouse
- Björk
- Cobblestone Jazz
- Daft Punk
- Faithless
- Jimi Hendrix
- The Irrepressibles
- James Blake
- The Roots
- Lupe Fiasco
- LCD soundsystems
- Radiohead
- Empire of the sun
- MGMT

Mainly these, wow long list. Oh and of course classical music occasionally i.e. Mozart, Brahms, Chopin, John Adams

Back
Top Bottom