Article on being black and not fitting the "company culture" at a tech startup

You’ve never been the only or one of very few black people in a white setting?
1583518694558.gif

This article is too relatable. TOO RELATABLE.

I worked for a tech company that merged with an ad company and then became a digital ad company. I was one of like 12 Black employees, that number fell drastically after my departure (not because of me, I wasn't the Malcolm X of the office). The C-Level staff (Chief staff: CEO, CFO ETC.) was all White. Due to the merger we had offices in different markets (states) and there were some markets where the office was 100% White. Mind you these are markets are considered metropoles (Chicago, Boston, Dallas etc.). I was IT in the New York market.

There are the micro-aggressions that you experience: your work is openly second guessed, condescending attitudes, aggressive attitudes, coddling of White women, White men who think they can interrupt any discussion or thought. What would bug me out is when I would experience similar attitudes from my Latinx colleagues.

I remember on many occasions I witnessed my White male co-workers loudly cursing, blowing up on employees of color and not face any sort of punishment above a "talking to." The behavior would then be excused with "It's deadlines you know? Everyone is on edge." If me in all my Blackness exhibited 5% of that behavior, I'd lose my job: "We really do love you here and you've contributed a lot, but your behavior was very threatening and it made a lot of us feel uncomfortable. This is a safe space and we feel you destroyed that."

One time at the old job in the office, it was May 4th, Star Wars day. I wore my t-shirt that says in Star Wars style, "May The Blackness Be With You." A lot of people liked it. This one White woman says to a group of people, which was overheard by my manager, "Did anyone see Leon's shirt? Then he wonders why he gets profiled." My Manager told HR and all she got was a "talking to." I know that for a fact because we have glass walled conference rooms, and when I walked by the meeting with her an HR, she had this look on her face of "really? this is why we're here." Immediately after the meeting she comes up to and said "Oh my god Leon, when's your next show? I wanna come see." I'm just like wow. Fast forward to me leaving the company last year, before my exit interview I had to fill out a survey and I mentioned that experience. The HR manager who conducted my interview, she tells me how she wanted to go over my survey because what I mentioned was "concerning." Which is code for "do we have to worry about a possible lawsuit." When I elaborated on it, her demeanor changed from "caring" to passive because I guess she didn't see any reason to fear a lawsuit.

**Side note: HR is not your friend. HR will never be your friend. HR only has the company's best interest in mind.**

The tech world loves to promote this idea that it's so progressive, when in reality it's a White boys town. Often times they'll proudly tout their coveted "Diversity and Inclusion" committee, however, said committee lacks diversity.

This article is too relatable. TOO RELATABLE.

I worked for a tech company that merged with an ad company and then became a digital ad company. I was one of like 12 Black employees, that number fell drastically after my departure (not because of me, I wasn't the Malcolm X of the office). The C-Level staff (Chief staff: CEO, CFO ETC.) was all White. Due to the merger we had offices in different markets (states) and there were some markets where the office was 100% White. Mind you these are markets are considered metropoles (Chicago, Boston, Dallas etc.). I was IT in the New York market.

There are the micro-aggressions that you experience: your work is openly second guessed, condescending attitudes, aggressive attitudes, coddling of White women, White men who think they can interrupt any discussion or thought. What would bug me out is when I would experience similar attitudes from my Latinx colleagues.

I remember on many occasions I witnessed my White male co-workers loudly cursing, blowing up on employees of color and not face any sort of punishment above a "talking to." The behavior would then be excused with "It's deadlines you know? Everyone is on edge." If me in all my Blackness exhibited 5% of that behavior, I'd lose my job: "We really do love you here and you've contributed a lot, but your behavior was very threatening and it made a lot of us feel uncomfortable. This is a safe space and we feel you destroyed that."

One time at the old job in the office, it was May 4th, Star Wars day. I wore my t-shirt that says in Star Wars style, "May The Blackness Be With You." A lot of people liked it. This one White woman says to a group of people, which was overheard by my manager, "Did anyone see Leon's shirt? Then he wonders why he gets profiled." My Manager told HR and all she got was a "talking to." I know that for a fact because we have glass walled conference rooms, and when I walked by the meeting with her an HR, she had this look on her face of "really? this is why we're here." Immediately after the meeting she comes up to and said "Oh my god Leon, when's your next show? I wanna come see." I'm just like wow. Fast forward to me leaving the company last year, before my exit interview I had to fill out a survey and I mentioned that experience. The HR manager who conducted my interview, she tells me how she wanted to go over my survey because what I mentioned was "concerning." Which is code for "do we have to worry about a possible lawsuit." When I elaborated on it, her demeanor changed from "caring" to passive because I guess she didn't see any reason to fear a lawsuit.

**Side note: HR is not your friend. HR will never be your friend. HR only has the company's best interest in mind.**

The tech world loves to promote this idea that it's so progressive, when in reality it's a White boys town. Often times they'll proudly tout their coveted "Diversity and Inclusion" committee, however, said committee lacks diversity.
Yo it's crazy how common this type of stuff, it's like we live the same life in different scenarios. You try to your best to prevent from saying "its b/c i'm black," but that is literally the reason for the treatment being received, and they try to act like being racist is only saying the n-word or separate water fountains. Racism is thriving til this day.

Yo it's crazy how common this type of stuff, it's like we live the same life in different scenarios. You try to your best to prevent from saying "its b/c i'm black," but that is literally the reason for the treatment being received, and they try to act like being racist is only saying the n-word or separate water fountains. Racism is thriving til this day.

I'll go ahead and quote the old Kanye: "Racism still alive they just be concealing it."

Nah, once they box you into a certain type in their head, they stop hiding it.

You’ve never been the only or one of very few black people in a white setting?

this article completely Misses da bleeding obvious, if you don't develop chemistry between your colleagues it's going to affect your work doesn't matter what race you are or gender or age.

why you think broads have a hard time when it comes to climbing up upper management, unless she's a one of da guys type it's going to be hard for a woman to get into those social settings where people let their hair down and talk their ish that develops camaraderie outside da workplace.

alot of da REAL work happens in da bar or on da golf course when it comes to rubbing elbows wit da big wigs & movers/shakers.

instead of that author of da article complaining about not being judged solely by their work, how about he supplements his skill-set with stepping up his office politics game because that's as important as your individual talent in corporate America or in any career in general.

relationships and interpersonal communication matters.

this article completely Misses da bleeding obvious, if you don't develop chemistry between your colleagues it's going to affect your work doesn't matter what race you are or gender or age.

why you think broads have a hard time when it comes to climbing up upper management, unless she's a one of da guys type it's going to be hard for a woman to get into those social settings where people let their hair down and talk their ish that develops camaraderie outside da workplace.

alot of da REAL work happens in da bar or on da golf course when it comes to rubbing elbows wit da big wigs & movers/shakers.

instead of that author of da article complaining about not being judged solely by their work, how about he supplements his skill-set with stepping up his office politics game because that's as important as your individual talent in corporate America or in any career in general.

YEAH! YOU TELL'EM! SWALLOW THAT BLACK PRIDE, THEN TELL'EM YOU'S DOMINICAN BUB!

Fam, going golfing when you don't like golfing just to get a promotion is kissing as.s.

Can't be outchea tap dancing for crumbs like a house negro. F that

I would say this is true of corporate America. But a lot of people for whatever reason don't want to play the games. For myself, I would say I don't like to mix work and pleasure. We are co-workers first and foremost. We don't have to be friends. We just need to get the work done in a relatively cordial work environment. A lot of people like to extend work into social life and I'm not one to pretend my life revolves around my work.

I just think it's a cultural thing really. Having worked in majority black and majority non-black environments, I've noticed black people, that's West Indians, African Americans, Africans, want to do their work and go the F home. If a genuine friendship develops, great. If not, let's get busy and return to our families and friends.

In other settings, people want me to see them 9-5 and then 5-8 at the bar or some other company function. Bruh...where is my life, my friends, my family, my church, my girl supposed to fit into this schedule?

In other settings, people want me to see them 9-5 and then 5-8 at the bar or some other company function. Bruh...where is my life, my friends, my family, my church, my girl supposed to fit into this schedule?

to quote HHH's WWF theme song....

"its all about da game, and how you play it, its all about control and how you can take it, its all about your chance, if your gonna take it, its all about pain and who's gonna make it"

Fam, going golfing when you don't like golfing just to get a promotion is kissing as.s.

so you're gonna tell me you rather have someone with less talent than you leap frog you in a company because they're willing to be chummy with management off hours and potentially be your boss? :lol: some of ya don't move strategic at ALL. :lol:

da only reason I don't work in a office because I don't like wearing suits but best believe in any company or job i got I understand its relationships first >>> talent/skill set second.

you can be obstinate and stay stuck on a treadmill for 20 years at a job wondering why you're getting overlooked where you can meet these crackers where they're comfortable at and get what you want.

not a sports guy? learn to be one... don't play golf? learn to hit at a driving course.... yeah you learn how to do corny stuff like make resumes and pick up random accreditations and certificates and sharpen up with your credentials right? having interpersonal connections with your management is just another notch on your resume.

my first cousin is a director at a investment bank and he's da only Dominican period, he knows his stuff but most important? he knows what crowd to be in as far as pecking order.

he told me himself da higher up you go da less work you actually have to do because at thoss levels everybody to your left and right of you's resume is stacked. it's all about communication chemistry and vibes.

it's like being an NBA player in da league at that point. it's not about your skill-set because to make it in da league means you can play basketball it's all about fit and knowing your role and can you thrive in a roll your expected to thrive in.

meritocracy is very important and we'll get you to a certain point in life, but it takes a little bit more guile and cunning and being tactful that get you across da rest of da way.

Whole article was so relatable. I'm the only black designer at my job, room full of whites. I don't want to be friends, gossip buddies, nor do I care about your family or dogs. I do my job, clock out, and live my life. I show up once a year, MAYBE twice, to an after work happy hour. I'm with you 40+ hours a week. No, I don't want to hang out. When you're just there, literally doing your job and not getting involved with the extra bs, they can't read you, so they deem you a villian :smh:
This how it is for me with lunch in my office...They all like to go out to lunch together at the same time like we still in school or something and 90% of the time I say no...Then they say I’m “anti social” or feel some type of way about it... But I’m like we all work in the same office all day, I want that time to myself where I don’t gotta small talk and keep discussing work **** like they still do at lunch

This how it is for me with lunch in my office...They all like to go out to lunch together at the same time like we still in school or something and 90% of the time I say no...Then they say I’m “anti social” or feel some type of way about it...

that hurts you. when you "out" da clique it effects you especially when people in position of power participate in those settings.

you gotta be aware of things like that.

so you're gonna tell me you rather have someone with less talent than you leap frog you in a company because they're willing to be chummy with management off hours and potentially be your boss? :lol: some of ya don't move strategic at ALL. :lol:

It's called looking elsewhere for employment.
If you have an in demand skill set, you don't have to do all that

My white co-workers roll over to each other's desk whispering all day. The second the 3 black folks are having a conversation about anything they gotta pull a chair up and try to umpire the whole conversation.

"Sounds like you guys are having a fun convo over here"

One older black lady quit over this.(she had another gig lined up) but she said " we don't bother y'all when y'all whispering in the corner all day".

The black folks are quiet and doing their work in my department. Even when the manager rolls out of his office and tried to bs around with everyone because he's taking a break. The black folks steady working without engaging while the whites all turned around eat s*** sandwiches from the boss and fake laughing.

I take my full hour for lunch and this obviously bothered one of the white managers from another department. Im at the receptionist desk getting my mail and these two white guys walk in straight out the elevator pointing at me saying "he's the guy that walks 11 flights of steps daily". The other white manager says " is that where you're gone for an hour everyday?".

I just laugh it off but on the inside I'm
tenor (2).gif

Facts.... This stuff happens in the military as well... You gotta get down with the crew if you wanna move up the ladder ..

It's not really racial but more so culturally prejudice . If you don't get down with their program you'll automatically be in the chopping block...

That's pretty much anywhere in life ....

If you find yourself in a workplace where you feel like you need to fit in, that’s not the move. Look for a place where you’re seen as a culture add rather than a culture fit. Workplaces that have a culture fit mindset tend to just be white dominant places and want their employees to conform to the system in place.

I’ve learned to just do my work and set my own schedule and eventually people accept me for who I am. I rarely dress button up with slacks, I’m always known and seen as the guy with oversized shirts with different sneakers everyday because I just am who I am, and if your work won’t allow you to be then it’s not a place to flourish nor will they get my best work.

I’m lucky to have a VP who’s a female and not white, and she set up a team to be super diverse with all the managers having the same mentality of hiring someone different. Lol we have so many different personalities roaming around in our core team, but you learn to respect everyone because everyone is so different how the perceive things and how they communicate, but in the end of the day everyone still has a job to do and no one has to worry about being comfortable around each other.

My job ain’t perfect, their are other sectors in the company that are “old-fashioned”, and like to work systematically and it’s very discouraging since there’s no telling them else-wise from their very tunneled perspective. These are the type of peeps who aren’t necessarily introverts, but who just don’t engage based on a culture fit mentality. You don’t work like us, you can’t talk to us head *** people.

Agree with all the people here who've had the experience. Honestly though sometimes I realize when i'm being unreasonable and simply just need to contribute to team chemistry. That comes from a place of terrible experiences though, but have to remember not all places are the places you've been.

Back
Top Bottom