Asian Culture Discussion Thread

Fly to Tokyo via Asiana Airlines; I did this earlier this year and had a one night layover in Seoul while paying for flying to just one country. Landed at 6 PM, headed to the bars in Hongdae district at 11 PM, went to bed at 5 AM with a half finished box of Korean fried chicken, and got to the airport to fly to Tokyo at 9 AM :lol: :x

But yeah, if you have more time, plan a few days in Korea as well. Flights between Korea and Japan are pretty cheap. IMO Tokyo is a cooler city overall but Seoul is much more fun
Sounds like a plan bruh

Peach airlines is another cheap airlines too, thats why flew from Seoul to Osaka and back.

RIP if you fly into Seoul the same time as one of those Chinese tour groups tho.

Hot Pot recently just took my number one spot from Pho as my favorite Asian food

I've only recently developed a liking for hot pot. I've had Vietnamese hot pot my whole life, but man the others are bomb after discovering them. Taiwanese hot pot (tasty pot, boiling point), shabu shabu (all over Sj), Korean hot pot are all sooo good, but mostly pricey as hell.

Last edited:
Peach airlines is another cheap airlines too, thats why flew from Seoul to Osaka and back.

RIP if you fly into Seoul the same time as one of those Chinese tour groups tho.

Yeah, took me over an hour to get through Seoul customs in February because of at least a 200 deep Chinese tour group that went there for Lunar New Year :lol: Usually I can get through in 10-20 minutes because it's not a major tourist destination and lines are empty

Last edited:
@Lil Cao, you don't go to the all you can eat hot pots? Those are all over the East Bay. Pretty good deal for $25; I just usually starve myself all day before heading to them at night. Actually hit up Little Dipper in Fremont last night. Their house special sauce :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Last edited:
this spot out here has this laotion fried chicken :smokin

Korean fried chicken will always be king tho
How do they make their Laotion fried chicken? Im guessing its a very thin layer of batter if any? Tell me they got a chilli pepper fish sauce dip on the side tho lol.

Ive been sleeping on Korean fried chicken. I dont think theres a spot where Im at that serves it, gotta try it one day!

yeah it's lightly battered, hella crunchy. It's tossed in the sauce tho, has a slight vinegar taste with a chili kick.

@Lil Cao, you don't go to the all you can eat hot pots? Those are all over the East Bay. Pretty good deal for $25; I just usually starve myself all day before heading to them at night. Actually hit up Little Dipper in Fremont last night. Their house special sauce :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Never been to one in the bay, but we got a pretty dope one here in Irvine.

$20, plus they got a bunch of sides - sushi rolls, chicken wings, etc ... No tip either :pimp:

+ ice cream at the end

I wanna pick up a hot pot set up for the house tho.

Last edited:

@HNL HI
-- very nice. Where the bean sprouts though?
I told them no need, don't like bean sprouts in my pho.
Understandable, I'm the same way. You gotta try out this overlooked Vietnamese dish (Bo Tai Chanh) -- basically the same raw beef in your pic + lots of lime + onions + peanuts + mint + basil + Sriracha. It's considered "bar food" in Vietnam and it's great --

Last edited:
^ love that dish.

Ya also gotta try Be Thui. My all time favorite Viet dish. Just had some today. It is young roasted veal. Squeeze some lime, eat it with some of that bang trang and Doritos!!!!. Yes, Doritos is a must with this. Sorry for the bad pic. I didn't have time to make my plate all pretty #^@! lol. You gotta find the right person to make this. The skin on the veal is :smokin
View media item 2162211

Where is the love for Burmese food? :pimp:

It has been BLOWING up in san francisco in the past couple of years too. :lol:

@HNL HI

-- very nice. Where the bean sprouts though?

I told them no need, don't like bean sprouts in my pho.

Understandable, I'm the same way. You gotta try out this overlooked Vietnamese dish (Bo Tai Chanh) -- basically the same raw beef in your pic + lots of lime + onions + peanuts + mint + basil + Sriracha. It's considered "bar food" in Vietnam and it's great --

View media item 2162179

word, my girls mom makes that :smokin

Where is the love for Burmese food? :pimp:

It has been BLOWING up in san francisco in the past couple of years too. :lol:
Burmese food is damn good, and yes, all the tech bros at my job get it catered to the office at least twice a week now :lol:

Last edited:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/irvine-729359-asian-city.html

New census estimates show that, for the first time, Irvine has more Asian than white residents. It’s a thin lead, well within the report’s margin of error, but the strongest evidence yet of what many residents, scholars and real estate professionals see as an accelerating trend.

Using the new census figures, a Register analysis indicates Irvine now is – or soon will be – the largest city in the continental United States with an Asian plurality. Among larger municipalities, only Honolulu has more Asians than any other race.

More than 45 percent of Irvine’s roughly 257,000 residents are Asian, according to American Community Survey estimates released Thursday.

^ I see quite a few prominent dancers/choreographers are from Irvine.

Talking about Kinjaz dudes, the massive Cali dance scene in general, etc.

Last edited:
Any idea on what happened to ESPN's Fresh off the Bench podcast?

They only did like two episodes ...

Back
Top Bottom