AT&T Reverses Course and Spins Off WarnerMedia for $43B Merger with Discovery

This has been ongoing for a while now.

Increasing consolidation in these 2 industries (telecom and media) is a very real thing. Not sure how it'll play out for the consumers.

I'd rather let ATT buy them than let Comcast purchase anything

Comcast prices are OD high. Finally switched to direct TV after 20 something years with Comcast company.

Idk unless you're filthy rich you can enjoy paying $300 a month for cable and internet :smh:

Our xfinity (Comcast) cable and internet is much better than our former u-verse (AT&T) for $9.00 per month less. We pay $157 for cable and internet with the sports package and Stars and Showtime. No HBO though so that sucks right now. 

Yea if you're a new customer, 23 had same package but they gave us stars and hbo for free for a long time now and we also had phone. We were at around $245 and another bump was coming in January like it annually does

That's insane

Expect Dish and T-Mobile to get bought up in the next couple years. Willing to bet money Comcast scoops up T-Mobile.

anybody trying to go in with me on verizon? all we need is a few billion, and we can own it...keep it out of these fatcat media conglomerates...

Can you guys elaborate on CNN, HBO, etc?
Are those owned by Time Warner?
Yes.

Time Warner is a media conglomerate. That focused on news media first and expanded. So HBO, CNN, etc. are all subsidiaries of the company.

They just recently fought off a hostile takeover from 21st Century FOX (formerly the "old" NewsCorp) and iirc AT&T had their merger with Direct TV.
Will AT&T stock do better if this deal goes through?
The rumor alone had AT&T stock drop a few points while Time Warner stock raised a few more points :lol:

After the deal is done it's hard to say but it should raise.

Last edited:
Idk exactly how much TW encompasses but wouldn't this give AT&T a huge monopoly?

Expect Dish and T-Mobile to get bought up in the next couple years. Willing to bet money Comcast scoops up T-Mobile.

Actually, I don't see T-mobile being bought anymore unless somebody makes a stupid crazy offer that the DT heads would have to be even crazier to turn down. The T-Mobile that was in the midst of being acquiring by AT&T is no the same T-Mobile. I believe DT actually sold some of their stake in Europe to put more money behind $TMUS w/ the ongoing spectrum auctions. Not to mention the Uncarrier movement changed the game in the wireless industry.

Now Dish is another story, especially w/ that spectrum that they have :lol:
Can you guys elaborate on CNN, HBO, etc?
Are those owned by Time Warner?
Yes.

Time Warner is a media conglomerate. That focused on news media first and expanded. So HBO, CNN, etc. are all subsidiaries of the company.

They just recently fought off a hostile takeover from 21st Century FOX (formerly the "old" NewsCorp) and iirc AT&T had their merger with Direct TV.
Will AT&T stock do better if this deal goes through?
The rumor alone had AT&T stock drop a few points while Time Warner stock raised a few more points :lol:

After the deal is done it's hard to say but it should raise.

Yea, TW stock will rise because that means more money/value for shareholders, especially if the current buyout stock price is at a certain amount. Why have you stock acquired for $50 when you can have it acquired for $51. AT&T will drop until it becomes final and rise once it does. I could be mixing things up johnnyredstorm johnnyredstorm is the stock guy on NT amongst a few others so they'd definitely know.

Idk exactly how much TW encompasses but wouldn't this give AT&T a huge monopoly?

No, even w/ the deal going through, you still have Viacom, Comcast, and Disney who own a decent amount of media.

i think tmobile merging or being sold off ruins the momentum this company has right now with competitive pricing, and customer incentives. their stock has gone with rapidly growing customer base and expanding LTE network (and they are field testing next gen LTE to be released in a few years)

i kind of want tmobile to be off the market. im rockin out with that unlimited data plan they got. plus tmobile tuesdays...

comcast can go to hell with their bs internet plan pricing. so outrageous...

Last edited:
Yall do know Time Warner or any of their subsidiaries ain't out here setting up data plans for your pho re right?

It'd be a reach for the government to block this.

Lol do you all know what monopoly means?
:lol: I'm sayin'.

Monoplolies got to do with controlling the majority of certain industries of business and mostly on a macro level.

If I own say Home Depot. and then I want to acquire T-Mobile and Miramax studios exactly what industry am I monoplozing?

Keep in mind the law against that **** was to keep dudes like Rockefeller and Carneige from owning all the trains and newspapers.

Last edited:
ATT at its roots was a monopoly.

Texted my old coworker who's still there and he says he thinks it's going to get blocked.

ATT will argue it's a different vertical and they're just trying to diversify

In regards to mobile, The DOJ has specifically said they would block any M&A activity between the top four carriers.

Back
Top Bottom