AUNT VIV IS MAD VOL......oscars

I've seen all the films as well. But to answer your question , none. The Best Picture category was expanded to 10 films in 2009. This year only 8 films were nominated. So what happened to the last 2 spots??

Skipped over

indifferent.gif
You think the RT ratings matter to the Academy? You must be new homie.

Last edited:
She has a point about Will's acting.

If we're being honest, he isn't that good of an actor.  We all love him because of nostalgia.  

He has his moments, but he's mediocre at best.  

if they wanted to nominated those 2 films they wouldn't have to replace anything, the Academy reserves the ability to expand the Best Pic category to 10 films

if they want to
Then it should be Beasts of No Nation and Sicario IMO.

Am I the only one who peeped how this raised the buzz for the Oscars to the urban audience (who likely didn't know it was even happening soon) + made people want to see how Chris Rock is gonna address it/if blacks are gonna show up or not?

Stay woke?

thinking-face.png

She has a point about Will's acting.

If we're being honest, he isn't that good of an actor.  We all love him because of nostalgia.  

He has his moments, but he's mediocre at best.  

For Will it depends on the role. He did great in Ali and the pursuit of happiness ( he was nominated for both roles as well). And while his performance in Concussion was really good ( he basically carried the movie by himself) it definitely wasn't his best role.

Creed isn't a best picture caliber film. Very good movie, but not in the same discussion as Spotlight or The Revenant.

Straight Out of Compton best picture?
roll.gif

Most will agree.
Since movies are subjective , I'm going to use to criteria of critics scores as means to prove my argument.

The Reverent which sits at an aggregate score of 82% approval with critics , it was nominated for best picture, best lead actor , best supporting actor , best cinematography , best director , etc.........

As you can see Straight Outta Compton has an aggregate score of 88% approval with critics. The only nomination is got was for best original screen play.......WTF!!!!!

And lastly Creed sits at a whopping 94% approval with critics. And only got a best supporting actor nod for Sly. Despite the massive critical acclaim it received.

So I ask you , why was neither movie nominated again??
the RT score just shows what % of the critics gave it a positive rating

like how many kids in a class passed

if 90% of the kids passed but everyone got a C- it would still show that 90% of the kids passed as the rating

the revenant has a higher average rating than the two movies, which is more telling of how good critics thought the movie was.

straight out of compton does not belong anywhere near best picture

the only real (racial) snub was sam jackson for hateful eight

although you do have an argument for including creed

fwiw, I thought the revenant was extremely overrated but i see why its nominated. 

Yes. Just like they are aware of the Grammys. It's one of the top award shows and happens every year. This isn't some obscure crap like Raspberry Award.

Yes. Just like they are aware of the Grammys. It's one of the top award shows and happens every year. This isn't some obscure crap like Raspberry Award.
again...no one is in the barbershop like "y'all gonna catch the grammys this weekend, adele about to kill it"

nobody really cares about the grammys either unless a big star is confirmed to appear/perform 

like they advertised kanye's "return after x amount of years" last year to get ratings

which was the basis of his argument about them using urban artists for ratings but not actually recognizing them with awards

kinda like how they got chris rock hosting because he's entertaining but he probably will never get an award 

thinking-face.png

go get michael fassbender or sylvester stallone or one of them other corny *** ****** to host that **** if we can't get no awards

Light skinned Viv is trash. She always seemed like she was space out on Quaaludes or something.

And :smh: at dark skin Viv being bitter 23 years later

Creed isn't a best picture caliber film. Very good movie, but not in the same discussion as Spotlight or The Revenant.

Straight Out of Compton best picture? :rofl:

Most will agree.

Gotta disagree about Creed. Actually it's the best Rocky i've seen since the first one and has more depth than any of the sequels. Thought it was going to be trash but it surprised me.

Leo had to smang one ot the voter's wife, daughter, or something to keep getting snubbed :lol:

The Grammys have been recycling their hosts for years. Has nothing to do with getting an urban audiences attention. If that was the case they'd get Kevin Hart not Chris Rock.

And urban audience isn't confined to barbershop talk. You're better off tapping into Black Twitter. And trust me, they are talking about the Oscars.

Coogler should have been nominated for Creed. No question.

I don't think SOC deserves best film, but if critical acclaim doesn't get you a nomination, what does?

Coogler should have been nominated for Creed. No question.

I don't think SOC deserves best film, but if critical acclaim doesn't get you a nomination, what does?
there are A LOT of other movies with critical acclaim that also didnt get nominated 

agree with coogler though 

You'd be surprised how much of a difference winning a Grammy or an Oscar can make in an artists career. It's a bargaining chip and I'm sure it has a big impact on your earning power.
Absolutely
So what happened to Cuba Gooding Jr and Monique?
Well, it isn't the end all be all obviously. We're not speaking in absolutes. You don't think adding an Oscar or a Grammy to your resume boosts earning power?

Back
Top Bottom