Benz Or Audi?

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

I don't think the A4 is that bad, it's just their entry-level car (along with the A3) and probably their best selling sedan so a lot more people have it and the chance of having problems are higher. They are certainly of much better quality in comparison to 5-10 years ago.

I`m still kinda confused on the maintenance part. I understand when its time for maintenance such as oil changes and etc etc it cost more, but folks make it sound like these cars are junk and along with the high cost of normal maintenance they constantly break down. That A4 is sexy as hell, and I understand it needs premium care, but so does a Lexus, but Lexus are built like tanks so the only money you drop on it is for normal maintenance. 

Audi is VW and VW has always had electrical problem, actually most German cars do. They just can't do it like the Japanese can. Plus for the most part, Japanese parts are cheaper. Like Lexus, you can take an IS to a Toyota dealership for an oil change. I don't think you can do that with Audi even though it is practically VW. It still has German parts that tends to be more expensive. Not to mention BMW & Benz isn't a subsidiary of a bigger company to borrow parts from like Lexus/Toyota, Acura/Honda and Infiniti/Nissan.
When it comes to reliability, Japanese is just better. So if you want to own a German car, be prepared and ready to pay a few more $$$. 

Imagine taking a Lamborghini Aventador to a VW shop, after all it is one...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

yea man Them German Cars look GOOD. The Lexus are clean, but don't pop. What gets me is people say German cars are built so strong, then why do they have the most issues? Like I said I understand regular maintenance being more, but from what I see online dudes talk like them cars stay having issues and really after 30k miles its time to get another whip. I was originally looking at 08-09 Lexus ES, Then I started to look at the current gen Nissan Maximas, but I hear there isn't much diff for the money you pay than the body diff between that and the Altima. I've been looking at American Cars such as Challengers and Camaro, and they seem pretty good but historically US cars were cheaply made.

As with everything, the negatives will always outweigh the positive. The problems tends to get blown out of proportions and yeah, German cars just happen to have it more often. With proper care, I am sure a car will go past 30k miles easy. Some people just tend to be cheap and lazy when it comes to maintaining their cars, maybe most got used to the Japanese cars that needs less maintenance. Like take BMW for example, they have free maintenance for the first 4 years but it is the absolute minimum upkeep. Oil changes every 15k miles? They also used to change the oils after break in at 1200 miles, they don't do that anymore ever since they started the free maintenance service. So if you want to keep the car for a long time, do a more timely service intervals, every 7500 for oil changes instead of the 15k and so forth.

yea man Them German Cars look GOOD. The Lexus are clean, but don't pop. What gets me is people say German cars are built so strong, then why do they have the most issues? Like I said I understand regular maintenance being more, but from what I see online dudes talk like them cars stay having issues and really after 30k miles its time to get another whip. I was originally looking at 08-09 Lexus ES, Then I started to look at the current gen Nissan Maximas, but I hear there isn't much diff for the money you pay than the body diff between that and the Altima. I've been looking at American Cars such as Challengers and Camaro, and they seem pretty good but historically US cars were cheaply made.

As with everything, the negatives will always outweigh the positive. The problems tends to get blown out of proportions and yeah, German cars just happen to have it more often. With proper care, I am sure a car will go past 30k miles easy. Some people just tend to be cheap and lazy when it comes to maintaining their cars, maybe most got used to the Japanese cars that needs less maintenance. Like take BMW for example, they have free maintenance for the first 4 years but it is the absolute minimum upkeep. Oil changes every 15k miles? They also used to change the oils after break in at 1200 miles, they don't do that anymore ever since they started the free maintenance service. So if you want to keep the car for a long time, do a more timely service intervals, every 7500 for oil changes instead of the 15k and so forth.

See I was looking used because the price of a used 09 A4 with 35-60k on the dash is pretty good, With Luxury I hear never buy new unless your  rich, because a year later the depreciation is so big you can get a good deal, BUT my boy is like don't touch a German car with 30k or more on it. While Lexus he's like a lexus with 40-60 on the dash is still brand new and not even close to being broken in. He drives an 06 ES, I drive a Camry right now and Toyota is a beast, but Lawd them Audis are so Sexy. I`m not conceded about 100 dollar oil changes compared to a 60 dollar one from Lexus, Im more so worried about every month something new needing to be repaired. Before Audi stepped their game up I read that the A4 was one of the best "My First Car" rides due to the price and reliability but this was for the early 00 models. 

The key to a used car is knowing it's history. Past damage, the owners care, maintenance records/intervals and maybe even check for over-revs. If the car is well maintained chances are it'll run good. You won't encounter a problem every month but it isn't far-fetch either. If buying from a dealer, make sure to buy certified, which should cover most problems for the first couple of years.

As for the buying new, on NT, I am one of the few who prefers it. I don't mind the depreciation because I keep the car for long periods of time and I just prefer being the one and only owner of the car. It's just better knowing that I am in control or knows what the car has been through, which you can never be too sure with buying used. Plus I am well aware that I can't expect the car to sell for the same price so I am happy buying new. So far, my cars has kept value well. I had my 5year old IS250 appraised at Carmax a month ago and still got offered $20k, they are selling the same car in their website w/ the same mileage for $28k and mine is better maintained inside and out, I got the car for $32k. I can probably sell it for $25k today and that $7k loss in the span of 5 years isn't bad to me at all since I've enjoyed the car and has given me no problems at all. There were a few recalls here and there but that just gave me a chance to test out newer Lexus' as a loaner so again win-win in my book.

The key to a used car is knowing it's history. Past damage, the owners care, maintenance records/intervals and maybe even check for over-revs. If the car is well maintained chances are it'll run good. You won't encounter a problem every month but it isn't far-fetch either. If buying from a dealer, make sure to buy certified, which should cover most problems for the first couple of years.

As for the buying new, on NT, I am one of the few who prefers it. I don't mind the depreciation because I keep the car for long periods of time and I just prefer being the one and only owner of the car. It's just better knowing that I am in control or knows what the car has been through, which you can never be too sure with buying used. Plus I am well aware that I can't expect the car to sell for the same price so I am happy buying new. So far, my cars has kept value well. I had my 5year old IS250 appraised at Carmax a month ago and still got offered $20k, they are selling the same car in their website w/ the same mileage for $28k and mine is better maintained inside and out, I got the car for $32k. I can probably sell it for $25k today and that $7k loss in the span of 5 years isn't bad to me at all since I've enjoyed the car and has given me no problems at all. There were a few recalls here and there but that just gave me a chance to test out newer Lexus' as a loaner so again win-win in my book.

Lexus has good value. lol I mean I make enough money and don't have kids or anything like that, so paying for stuff isn't the issue, but it can be an annoyance too if the product simply isn't good. I think Lexus will probably be my safest bet, because I haven't really heard Acura being as good as Lexus, and Nissan I don't have any experience with so I don't know what to expect to them. Thing is The Lexus ES looks GOOD, but damn That audi is just so sexy man. 

Originally Posted by OneManDeep

benzs are more common, why get what so many have

Where do you live?... I see new Audi's on the streets more than new Benz's...

S-Class>________

The S-Class sets the bar for every luxury sedan on the market... So I'll always choose Mercedes over Audi...

But....BMW>_________

smokin.gif
happy.gif

Lexus has good value. lol I mean I make enough money and don't have kids or anything like that, so paying for stuff isn't the issue, but it can be an annoyance too if the product simply isn't good. I think Lexus will probably be my safest bet, because I haven't really heard Acura being as good as Lexus, and Nissan I don't have any experience with so I don't know what to expect to them. Thing is The Lexus ES looks GOOD, but damn That audi is just so sexy man. 
ES is nice but to be honest, reminds me too much of the Avalon. Lexus doesn't really excite me right now outside of the IS-F and LFA. I don't like their new design concept either with the pinched front fascia. That's why my new car is a BMW. 
As much as I love the Lexus, I'd probably go with the TL or a G sedan over the ES. They are both plenty reliable that you won't have much problems with it. 

At the end of the day, you just have to get what makes you happy. If you buy the ES but every time you step out and see it on the driveway and your mind goes "what if I got the Audi instead?" then you'd just regret it and hate yourself for it. Since you plan on buying used, just do your research and be patient and you'd be good. 

ES is nice but to be honest, reminds me too much of the Avalon. Lexus doesn't really excite me right now outside of the IS-F and LFA. I don't like their new design concept either with the pinched front fascia. That's why my new car is a BMW. 
As much as I love the Lexus, I'd probably go with the TL or a G sedan over the ES. They are both plenty reliable that you won't have much problems with it. 

At the end of the day, you just have to get what makes you happy. If you buy the ES but every time you step out and see it on the driveway and your mind goes "what if I got the Audi instead?" then you'd just regret it and hate yourself for it. Since you plan on buying used, just do your research and be patient and you'd be good. 

lol I catch Flack on NT cause of my research. In reality I don't do anything but Drive to work and home, every so often I have to drive a long distance for a workshop or conference. My job is like 5 miles away from the crib, in a year I prob put like 10k on my car. Thats why I`m thinking the Audi wouldn't be too bad since I`m not a heavy driver. 

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

S-Class>________

The S-Class sets the bar for every luxury sedan on the market... So I'll always choose Mercedes over Audi...

But....BMW>_________

smokin.gif
happy.gif
I am waiting to see the design of the new S class more then the Ferrari F70. Although I'm afraid they will ruin it, because the design of the current model is amazing.

I don't think the A4 is that bad, it's just their entry-level car (along with the A3) and probably their best selling sedan so a lot more people have it and the chance of having problems are higher. They are certainly of much better quality in comparison to 5-10 years ago.

I`m still kinda confused on the maintenance part. I understand when its time for maintenance such as oil changes and etc etc it cost more, but folks make it sound like these cars are junk and along with the high cost of normal maintenance they constantly break down. That A4 is sexy as hell, and I understand it needs premium care, but so does a Lexus, but Lexus are built like tanks so the only money you drop on it is for normal maintenance. 

Audi is VW and VW has always had electrical problem, actually most German cars do. They just can't do it like the Japanese can. Plus for the most part, Japanese parts are cheaper. Like Lexus, you can take an IS to a Toyota dealership for an oil change. I don't think you can do that with Audi even though it is practically VW. It still has German parts that tends to be more expensive. Not to mention BMW & Benz isn't a subsidiary of a bigger company to borrow parts from like Lexus/Toyota, Acura/Honda and Infiniti/Nissan.
When it comes to reliability, Japanese is just better. So if you want to own a German car, be prepared and ready to pay a few more $$$. 
German cars tend to have more electrical problems because there generally have more sensors than their Japanese counterparts. Between the two I believe German vehicles tend to have a higher build quality versus the Japanese ones, but the trade off there is higher maintenance costs. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. The difference in price between maintenance costs is about 20% I've noticed when comparing the A4 to the ES by the way.

Originally Posted by nocomment6

S-Class>________

But....BMW>_________

smokin.gif
happy.gif
I am waiting to see the design of the new S class more then the Ferrari F70. Although I'm afraid they will ruin it, because the design of the current model is amazing.
2012_mercedes_benz_s_class_spy_photos_15_3-0222-mc:1000x470.jpg

2012_mercedes_benz_s_class_spy_photos_18_1-0222-460x272.jpg

2012_mercedes_benz_s_class_spy_photos_17_1-0222-460x272.jpg

Spy shots...

Looks like they're getting rid of the aggressive wheel fenders
frown.gif

I heard they're basing the new S-class off the F700 concept...

EDIT: I just read that they're getting rid of the knob for the COMAND system and Putting cameras inside the car so you can run the system with hand gestures
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I am a bit torn on Benz's new SL63, I want to like it but I just can't quite seem to. Hopefully this isn't where the S is headed.

10748d1329839026-official-2012-mercedes-sl-r231-sl6.jpg

10745d1329838765-official-2012-mercedes-sl-r231-sl3.jpg

10744d1329838757-official-2012-mercedes-sl-r231-sl4.jpg

10746d1329838778-official-2012-mercedes-sl-r231-sl2.jpg

I Love the new SL's... I can't wait to see the new S-Class.... And I REALLY can't wait to see how BMW is going to follow with the next generation 7-series.

You guys need to go to Germany. I'm not even kidding, the autobahn is LINED with new Benz's, new Audi's, Bmw's (mostly 1998-2004 models), Peugot's, the occasional Opel, and Porsche's. The car'heads over there know their stuff when it comes to their bavarian autos, as most of them have never gotten the chance to ease around in a Japanese car that doesn't need any real care until the 175k mile mark. In truth, I've seen more Benz's there than Audi's (Atleast in Frankfurt) because the Germans I've met found them to be "classier". To each his own, I guess.

And I REALLY can't wait to see how BMW is going to follow with the next generation 7-series.
Something interesting and likely very expensive when it comes to repairs.

Next 7 Series to be First Mainstream BMW Model with Carbon Fiber as a Key Material 

Gas prices are up, emission requirements have become more stringent, and vehicle weights have increased in the past years; which is not a good combination. Increased efficiency without sacrificing performance is the name of the automotive game going forward in the 21st century. A big step towards this goal is reducing the weight of vehicles. 

BMW says the answer is carbon fiber technology, which it believes will fundamentally change the car industry, becoming increasingly important in the quest for lighter-weight materials to reduce fuel consumption and lower CO2 emissions. For that reason, the company started the joint venture with SGL Group to take the carbon fiber production process mass scale.

Although we've seen carbon fiber roofs on some BMW M models, the upcoming BMW i3 and i8 electric and hybrid electric cars will be the first BMW cars featuring carbon fiber as a key construction material. The use of carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) will then flow down to future mainstream models,beginning with the next generation 7 series. 

According to BMW R&D chief Klaus Draeger, the next gen 7 series (due in 2015-2016) will be the first mainstream BMW model to utilize CFRP as a key construction material. The next 7 series' structure will probably be a mix of traditional materials (aluminum/steel) and CFRP, with the roof, hood, and trunk lid also possibly made from CFRP. 

http://e89.zpost.com/foru...hread.php?t=652528 

Originally Posted by tooWise

German cars tend to have more electrical problems because there generally have more sensors than their Japanese counterparts. Between the two I believe German vehicles tend to have a higher build quality versus the Japanese ones, but the trade off there is higher maintenance costs. Either way I don't think you can go wrong. The difference in price between maintenance costs is about 20% I've noticed when comparing the A4 to the ES by the way.
What it comes down to, is a German Car as your daily driver not the move?

Trust me, plenty of people use German cars as their daily driver. Keep in mind, I believe VW is the second highest selling car company today (which include Audi, Porsche, Lambo, etc....). So they are out there and are being driven daily. If it's a German you want, a German you should get.

Trust me, plenty of people use German cars as their daily driver. Keep in mind, I believe VW is the second highest selling car company today (which include Audi, Porsche, Lambo, etc....). So they are out there and are being driven daily. If it's a German you want, a German you should get.

just making sure I don't put myself in a headache, sorry for all the questions but the car forums are always biased, I just want a car that looks good and will get me from point A to B, i don't do any racing or anything like that.

Just do your research, keep it well maintained, buy CPO'd and you'll be fine.

I don't usually like VWs, but the Scirocco is a beautiful car. Too bad they didn't bring it here 
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom