Best 3 Album Run In Rap History???

I don't know, Gold, Plat, and Plat respectively, the numbers were there, the acclaim critically was there for Tribes first three, so again, what is going on? They dropped three consecutive classics, confused I am over here.

I don't know, Gold, Plat, and Plat respectively, the numbers were there

go to da RIAA site and see da discrepancy between da actual release dates and da certifications on da tribe albums.

da biggest Superstar status Tribe got was Q Tip's vibrant thing single...that was EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to get into any dumbas argument, but at least where I sit, ATCQ are legends, dropped three straight classics, those three went gold, platinum, and platinum, and were widely accepted as superstars. Again, what is the argument?

Anyone who claims to be raised on 90's Hip Hop yet uses the word "commercial" describing the relevance and importance of an an artist/group is a poser. Ftw, Tribe was given their props during their run, by all of their contemporaries. They have (2) 5 mic album reviews and a 4.5 mics. Many people at the Source felt Midnight Marauders deserved 5 mics. There was controversy because that would of gave them three 5 mic albums in a row, clearly anyone who knows anything about this culture knows MM deserved it.

This topic was asking what are the best 3 album run in Rap history. Tribe received the highest honor for their first three albums when 5 mics actually meant something. No other artist can make that claim except Outkast & Kendrick Lamar.

Now I know you're going to attempt to refute the facts I just provided, but you've already lost. I used to be under the impression that you knew your stuff about Hip Hop; I now stand corrected.

Furthermore, regardless of hit their albums went gold or plat out of the shoot, did they or did they not drop three consecutive jewlels? Sales are sales, who in the absolute **** care about when they were certified, they got them right, I know I bought them.

I don't know, Gold, Plat, and Plat respectively, the numbers were there, the acclaim critically was there for Tribes first three, so again, what is going on? They dropped three consecutive classics, confused I am over here.

Plus before soundscan, labels didn't always accurately report numbers, as another way to exploit artist. Mom and pops weren't accurately reflected. And I'd say they existed for a minute until the mid 90's, and they didn't use soundscan. You can't base popularity accurately on sales. Because a lot of black consumers weren't included.

Soundscan was made for your Sam Goody's, Virgins, and Towers. Most of us weren't shopping at those places where they charged $17 and $19 for a CD :smh:

I was happy as hell when Best Buy and Target put them out of business, since they did it to mom and pops. The prices they charged were often crazy unless it was on sale.

Last edited:
Correct.

Their accomplishments speak for themselves. That's what makes the statement "false".

Bro you obviously dont know what overrated mean or the concept of the word. It really aint go nothing to do with record sales or chartings and **** (assuming thats what youre talking about, if your talking about acclaim, then his statement is anything but false). Kendrick is held at a VERY high regard as far as the critics/fans go. Thats what makes him overrated. His RATINGS.

Anyone who claims to be raised on 90's Hip Hop yet uses the word "commercial" describing the relevance and importance of an an artist/group is a poser. Ftw, Tribe was given their props during their run, by all of their contemporaries. They have (2) 5 mic album reviews and a 4.5 mics. Many people at the Source felt Midnight Marauders deserved 5 mics. There was controversy because that would of gave them three 5 mic albums in a row, clearly anyone who knows anything about this culture knows MM deserved it.

This topic was asking what are the best 3 album run in Rap history. Tribe received the highest honor for their first three albums when 5 mics actually meant something. No other artist can make that claim except Outkast & Kendrick Lamar.

Now I know you're going to attempt to refute the facts I just provided, but you've already lost. I used to be under the impression that you knew your stuff about Hip Hop; I now stand corrected.

Plus before soundscan, labels didn't always accurately report numbers, as another way to exploit artist. Mom and pops weren't accurately reflected. And I'd say they existed for a minute until the mid 90's, and they didn't use soundscan. You can't base popularity accurately on sales. Because a lot of black consumers weren't included.

Soundscan was made for your Sam Goody's, Virgins, and Towers. Most of us weren't shopping at those places where they charged $17 and $19 for a CD :smh:

Thank you! Where I'm from, I know my purchases didn't count because I lived in a medium sized city in Texas and brought all my music from the local music store.

Correct.

Their accomplishments speak for themselves. That's what makes the statement "false".

Bro you obviously dont know what overrated mean or the concept of the word. It really aint go nothing to do with record sales or chartings and **** (assuming thats what youre talking about, if your talking about acclaim, then his statement is anything but false). Kendrick is held at a VERY high regard as far as the critics/fans go. Thats what makes him overrated. His RATINGS.

But I don't know what "overrated" means?

If he is held in very high regard by all of these people, then he isn't really "overrated" because a couple of dudes don't **** with him.

I'm an adult. Just because I don't like something doesn't make it actually "overrated".

You weren't even the dude I replied to so go sit down somewhere.

Last edited:

I was happy as hell when Best Buy and Target put them out of business, since they did it to mom and pops. The prices they charged were often crazy unless it was on sale.

sales back then were tracked on units shipped based on preorders of retailers before soundscan.

that lil mom & pop's orders were calculated at da time of distribution, not at da point of sale back then.

hence some people "shipped gold, shipped Platinum, etc."

Last edited:
But I don't know what "overrated" means?

You weren't even the dude I replied to so go sit down somewhere.

It doesn't matter if I weren't the dude you replied to. You pulled the whole "just because YOU think" card and I shut it down, down, down.

And the part of my post you bolded breaks down the word overrated (not a detailed breakdown, bit nonetheless). Kendricl is rated too high, thus making him overrated. Whats so hard to understand?

:lol: at "weren't".

Nothing is hard for me to understand. You seem to be having trouble though.

Posting Drake songs isn't going to help your cause much. It's type lame to be honest.

o·ver·rate
ˌōvərˈrāt/Submit
verb
past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated
have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.

If all of those people enjoy his work, and you don't, that doesn't actually make him "overrated".

It just makes you someone who doesn't agree.

Dude has put out 3, maybe 4 very well received projects. People genuinely enjoy his music. There is no "overrated" in that.

Last edited:
I dont like kendrick but i admit he is a talented lyricist with a genuine classic (GKMC) but his fans are disillusioned. Kendrick fans are weirdos.

illphillip illphillip I've always respected your knowledge of this culture my man. I know we aren't always in agreement, but you do hold it down.

Appreciate it sir. Music is obviously a passion of mine. Rap and Hip Hop at the top of that list.

Doesn't mean I'm always right but if I'm not you're going to have to work hard to prove me wrong :lol:

I dont like kendrick but i admit he is a talented lyricist with a genuine classic (GKMC) but his fans are disillusioned. Kendrick fans are weirdos.

It's going to happen with any successful artist.

Kendrick
Drake
Beyonce
Kanye

Etc. etc.

I'm listening to all these albums over ... as i get older ... it's great to see which albums have held up and which haven't ... 

Late Registration moving up the list ... 

College Drop Out slipping ... but still enjoyable 

SSLP ... still made me chuckle but i'm definitely skipping a couple more tracks now than i used to ...

it's not cut and dried for anyone ... but to this Nas debate ... Illmatic > IWW but for the record ... you couldn't go anywhere in NY summer of '96 without hearing If i ruled the world ... 

Kendrick is needed right now.My opinion on people saying hes overrated.It comes from the technical side of rap.Just like other professions.Rappers have strength and weaknesses.Top ever technical rappers =Eminem,Bone Thugs,Wayne,Busta Rymes,Kendrick,Kevin Gates.There strengths are manipulating there voice change ups.When rapping,your voice is used almost as a instrument while riding the beat.People look at them sometimes as being overrated.Because they can make simple lyrics sound out of this world.Because they can make certain types of sounds while changing there voice up.Top ever Charisma rappers =2pac,E-40,Pimp C,Too Short,Snoop,Ice Cube,Game,50 cents,Drake (half singer to me),Rick Ross (he gets lyrical as well).These rappers make reality rap.Not super lyical.But they make the fans love there personality/character.They have the it factor that most rappers cant buy.Top lyrical Rappers=Jay-Z,B.i.G,Nas,Big Pun,Fabolous,Rakim,Big L,Scarface,Jadakiss.There strengths are story telling,punchlines.Theyll make you rewind to put the puzzle of the story together.This is why i dont like comparing most rappers.Because it really depends on what there strengths are.Depending on if im going to compare them.Thats what most fans dont understand about Rap/Hip Hop.There all different.

sales back then were tracked on units shipped based on preorders of retailers before soundscan.

that lil mom & pop's orders were calculated at da time of distribution, not at da point of sale back then.

hence some people "shipped gold, shipped Platinum, etc."

Tracked by who?

and who were these artist shipping gold and platinum back then?

Back
Top Bottom