Black Culture Discussion Thread

Civj_AZXAAAy32W.jpg

Music, the glorification of destructive behavior and "lack of leadership" are entirely worthless topics of discussions.

"Culture" is overrated, over discussed and over analyzed.

Talk about Poverty/Education/Housing Discrimination/Voter rights.

but miss me with this culture stuff.
Gotta agree with this brotha, lets keep it 100, NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY, gives a damn about culture when the society when live in as a whole lack cultivation. people are not interested in the roots of tradition let a lone the importance of historical facts. 

Acting like you care about these topics just make you look and sound smart, but you have to ask yourself are you living what you say you believe in, the answer is likely no. 

People only care about problems when they effect their way of living. to keep it simplistic, the judgment on what is right and wrong is all relative to what the majority feels is most pleasing to the most people. a term coined utilitarianism. 

because of the Democratic country we live in, there is no such thing as right or wrong. only what is most pleasurable to the greater population of "voters" 

nothing is objectively wrong within itself. for example. 

Since January of this year this year there have been over 100 murders in Detroit. 90% of them Black on Black, innocent women, children, and men died. there were no protests, no riots, no public unrest, no presidential statement, no news coverage, and no justice.

last month a black boy was shot by a white cop, the story made CNN, the city was in rage and demanded change, the nation responded

and because a black boy was killed by a white man....Black Lives Mattered

see where im coming from?

Peace Gods and Earths. Happy Bday to brotha Malcom  

Not gonna watch the video but black lives matter is trash. I've read their site and mission statement and I can't get down w/ that group.

the saying is great but the actual group is terrible.

Y'all watching Roots? I just can't sit through anymore slave movies/shows. Us being servants, getting toutured. All these slave movies are getting old. African people were the first people on earth, our history is way more than slavery. It's like they refuse to show anything else when it comes to black history. I'll watch the Nat Turner movie when it comes out but other than that I'm good. Hidden Colors series is way better than these same ol stories.

Y'all watching Roots? I just can't sit through anymore slave movies/shows. Us being servants, getting toutured. All these slave movies are getting old. African people were the first people on earth, our history is way more than slavery. It's like they refuse to show anything else when it comes to black history. I'll watch the Nat Turner movie when it comes out but other than that I'm good. Hidden Colors series is way better than these same ol stories.

wouldn't watch it if i could...i'm not really sure why someone felt roots need to be remade, the og mini-series, while not perfect was cool; not sure it needed to be re-interpreted for today? i don't get it...

on i'm on the fence with the upcoming nat turner joint because it is actually is apart of history many are unfamiliar with (myself included!) and the initial talk about it seem positive but...honestly i'm cool on all these biopics & historical films...it's almost as if the folk in hollywood have no imagination/perspective of narratives that feature people of color unless it is happened in real life

and while i know this is an unpopular opinion to have here, the the hidden color series of films are just the opposite side of the same coin as the historic biopic hollywood films, both show how starved people of color are for content that tell our stories, both are engaged in the building of myths that flirt & play around with truths, and in my opinion both are fairly cynical in their appeals to their respective audiences...

wouldn't watch it if i could...i'm not really sure why someone felt roots need to be remade, the og mini-series, while not perfect was cool; not sure it needed to be re-interpreted for today? i don't get it...

on i'm on the fence with the upcoming nat turner joint because it is actually is apart of history many are unfamiliar with (myself included!) and the initial talk about it seem positive but...honestly i'm cool on all these biopics & historical films...it's almost as if the folk in hollywood have no imagination/perspective of narratives that feature people of color unless it is happened in real life

and while i know this is an unpopular opinion to have here, the the hidden color series of films are just the opposite side of the same coin as the historic biopic hollywood films, both show how starved people of color are for content that tell our stories, both are engaged in the building of myths that flirt & play around with truths, and in my opinion both are fairly cynical in their appeals to their respective audiences...

I think the Nat Turner movie is going to be different for the simple fact that Nate Parker himself handled almost everything with it from directing, screenplay, and financing.

I personally want to see successful historical black people, Madam CJ Walker, GW Carver, WEB DuBois, etc. Though it ended bad, what about the Black Wall Street in Oklahoma, etc.

Hidden Colors is something I appreciate but am careful not to get too engulfed in it. It's dropping knowledge on things you may not have known, but as w/ other documentaries, the people who made it have an agenda and I don't want to get caught up in it. I take the info and do more research and things of that nature.

I appreciate Hidden Colors cuz it shows more than one period of time. Every time the mainstream puts out something about black history it's slavery or its the civil rights movement. It's always black people getting beaten and hoping and praying things get better. If our history was a football field those are inches. The mainstream doesn't want to show black people in power positions. If they can make all these gladiator type movies they can definitely make a movie about the Moors but that's not the image they want to put out. Black people as rulers.

"I personally want to see successful historical black people, Madam CJ Walker, GW Carver, WEB DuBois, etc. Though it ended bad, what about the Black Wall Street in Oklahoma, etc"

I agree 100%. Throw Marcus Garvey in there too. I love would to see how those brothas and sistahs came together in Oklahoma and North Carolina and built their own businesses. Had their own fire departments and everything.

I got a ticket to catch it here in DC it was pretty good nothing mind blowing IMO alot of stuff they touched on I've read or heard before
Yeah, if you read up on African history quite a bit, much of what they're saying you'll already know. I've always watched the series more for the solutions and dialogue part than the history side of it.

I'm might be in the minority on this, but I don't mind slave movies. I just think that people are tired of them because we don't have anything else to balance them out and counteract the narratives that these slave movies enforce. Not to mention, there are alot of compelling slave stories of slaves rising to prominent positions of power but those stories are never covered for obvious reasons.

Hollywood is never going to give Blacks a platform to showcase our greatness. It's something that were gonna have to do for ourselves. I can think of a bunch of potentially great films that would more than likely never see the light of day because black folk aren't in subservient positions stepping and fetching it. And make no mistake about it, society is highly entertained by Black dysfunction and suffering. If it wasn't slave movies wouldn't be so popular

Last edited:
I think the Nat Turner movie is going to be different for the simple fact that Nate Parker himself handled almost everything with it from directing, screenplay, and financing.

I personally want to see successful historical black people, Madam CJ Walker, GW Carver, WEB DuBois, etc. Though it ended bad, what about the Black Wall Street in Oklahoma, etc.

Hidden Colors is something I appreciate but am careful not to get too engulfed in it. It's dropping knowledge on things you may not have known, but as w/ other documentaries, the people who made it have an agenda and I don't want to get caught up in it. I take the info and do more research and things of that nature.

the thing is none of these are altogether or straight up bad, they all to some extent sow seeds of interest for people...it's just that since there aren't many (if any at all) different perspectives being shown; and the even with today's democratization of the tools to make things like movies, hollywood appears to me to be a kind of a zero sum game (for every biopic that gets made there is another movie that probably won't get made). for me i'd just rather see new stories, preferably where the 'struggle of blackness' isn't the co-star - and not that i can't appreciate the kind of film that confronts that issue but at least package it in something other than using the crutch of the biopic/historical narrative?

i feel like if you are a curious person generally, you would have come across the bulk of the useful information in any of the films thus far (i don't think i have seen 3 or the new one, i'm good on those too!) and because there is so much information being pushed at you that it almost requires a study guide, you almost have to do research after watching them...i also think because these movies have been positioned as 'documentaries' they are given a pass for how roughly (un)edited & unpolished they are (at least the ones i saw that might have changed with the newer ones)

The mainstream doesn't want to show black people in power positions. If they can make all these gladiator type movies they can definitely make a movie about the Moors but that's not the image they want to put out. Black people as rulers.

on some level this seems basically true, but i think it should be put in context, this may be our country but it ain't OUR country, meaning by the most generous of metric black folk make up somewhere under 20% (i think officially it is 13%) of the country, so the economics probably don't necessarily seem favorable up front...especially given most flicks these days are comic book joints, prestige films, or low budget and it isn't as though there are many people of color controlling the levers to get movies made (i do respect that about the hidden colors movies), which is also probably why there aren't too many movies with hispanic leads...#sidebar how different would the matrix be had it starred will smith instead of keanu??? #sidebartothesidebar who would have ever thought that kevin hart, ice cube, & the rock (maybe borderline, obviously he is black but i wonder if the public at large thinks of him as black?) would be the most bankable/consistent black actors??

I feel uneasy about all of this white-washing done to Ali this week.

It's been done ever since he got sick and couldn't speak

At least there are numerous interviews/clips from back then and all the documentaries about him.

When he was in front of the camera he did and said a lot, so they can't re-write history as much as they've done with other people.

Back
Top Bottom