Black Wealth in PG County (MD) Dashed by the Housing Crisis...

I think the housing issue with PG has to do with the Black Culture discussion as well, the biggest issue being why do blacks have to always end up migrating with other blacks every time they just want to make a decent living

Plenty folks survive on $50K or so, but Comfortable living around DC starts around $85K or so, $100K is solid for someone single without debt, but even there you're not going to be ready to buy a nice place until 30 or so, so $120-$150K by 30 should be about right.

Comfortable is subjectice though, I thnk living in a nice neighborhood and driving a nice car and still slide 40% net or so to savings or brokerage acct is part of the eqn
Exactly at a young age 21-26 you don't need all of that extra stuff , so it is very subjective. I just can't wrap my head around 100K not being enough for a young professional (21-26) to be considered caking.

Most people graduate and don't even see 40K, so 85K-100K not caking , I just don't get it. Also adding in the fact that most young people have a gf, roommates, or family to live with.

I think the housing issue with PG has to do with the Black Culture discussion as well, the biggest issue being why do blacks have to always end up migrating with other blacks every time they just want to make a decent living
Generally speaking because we don't want to isolate ourselves.  Once you isolate yourself you are vulnerable, and can be taken advantage of.  

Also, as stated in here earlier some white folks simply don't want to live in the same neighborhood or next to black people, even well to do black people and families for various reasons.  This is exactly what happened in my parents neighborhood in Glenn Dale.  A white man with a family was real close with my parents neighbor who is black.  The white man came up to the black neighbor one day and straight up said he was moving because there were "too many blacks moving into the neighborhood."  Keep in mind at the time this was a new single family home development in Glenn Dale, MD.  No crime, no rowdy neighbors, nothing of the sort.  The white family simply felt uncomfortable.  It was good to see him and his family pack up and leave.

Generally speaking because we don't want to isolate ourselves.  Once you isolate yourself you are vulnerable, and can be taken advantage of.  

Also, as stated in here earlier some white folks simply don't want to live in the same neighborhood or next to black people, even well to do black people and families for various reasons.  This is exactly what happened in my parents neighborhood in Glenn Dale.  A white man with a family was real close with my parents neighbor who is black.  The white man came up to the black neighbor one day and straight up said he was moving because there were "too many blacks moving into the neighborhood."  Keep in mind at the time this was a new single family home development in Glenn Dale, MD.  No crime, no rowdy neighbors, nothing of the sort.  The white family simply felt uncomfortable.  It was good to see him and his family pack up and leave.
I've seen it with churches too. Older, predominately white, catholic churches having more African immigrants in their congregation, so the white people move to areas where they aren't heavily populated. Like damn, ya'll even leaving your church because you don't want to be around others.

Last edited:
Another contributing factor was a lot of blacks work for the federal gov so they were getting easily approved. The problem was yes they work for the gov and it appears to be a good job but they're either entry or middle of the pack. So on the outside it looks good but in reality they were pulling down barely 50k. I work for the gov so I see it all the time.

When you got ppl buying cars at Eastern Motors you can't expect them to responsibly buy a house.

Yup gov't salary aint what its all hyped up to be. You can miss me with that low *** entry level salary you can't survive off that.

Another contributing factor was a lot of blacks work for the federal gov so they were getting easily approved. The problem was yes they work for the gov and it appears to be a good job but they're either entry or middle of the pack. So on the outside it looks good but in reality they were pulling down barely 50k. I work for the gov so I see it all the time.

When you got ppl buying cars at Eastern Motors you can't expect them to responsibly buy a house.

Yep. I seen it too

People that had no business applying for mortgages were getting approved

Bank of America should've adopted the "You're job is your credit" motto too. It was disgusting :smh:

Last edited:

Yup gov't salary aint what its all hyped up to be. You can miss me with that low *** entry level salary you can't survive off that.
I think the job security is what most people clamor for.

Once you're in, you're in. You have to damn near commit murder to get fired from a gov't job.

Bingo. People to scared to step out on they own and flourish. Unless you're hight level GS9 (I think) or above, you need to get yours in the private sector.

I can't speak for dude but I'm kinda a homer too for the area. The two biggest negatives are housing cost, taxes and traffic

Other than that the area is so :smokin

Great job market, beautiful area, night life, and oh lawwwwwwwwd the yamb selection :smh: :smokin

Sold.

Dude talking about people being in their feelings, meanwhile he sounding like a UMD chick burned him or never called him back 
indifferent.gif
 talking about 'stop talking to me' when you addressed that man's college first

Everybody knows that Eastern motors song tho ...a classic :pimp:

What's so bad about Eastern Motors? :lol:

They're a car dealership that will approve anyone for a car loan as long as they have a job, the catch is that the loans have insanely high interest rates

35, working retail, and got horrible credit?......Approved!!!

Their motto is literally "Your job is your credit" :smh: :lol:

But they did drop this hood classic of theme song :smokin

Last edited:
I have not read the article yet but to my knowledge, some of the wealthiest black folks live in this county in md or somewhere close to it then followed by Baldwin hills, view park areas in LA...

I think the job security is what most people clamor for.

Once you're in, you're in. You have to damn near commit murder to get fired from a gov't job.
Yup pretty much impossible to get fired, but it still isn't worth it starting out IMO.

Computer Science Degree/Software Dev is plenty of job security for me. The salaries are just disrespectful for engineers not even close to competitive with the private sector and any govt employee will agree. You also don't do any technical work , unless you get lucky  enough to land a technical job.

I worked with 3 people that were awarded the AF SMART scholarship ( govt pays for entire education up to Master's + 30K stipend every year , for every year paid for you have to work a year for the govt) and they all wish they would have never done it , because they are all struggling. One of the dudes was praying to get riffed during the furlough, so he could start making some real money 
laugh.gif
. He's literally counting down his days, he owes 5 years 
mean.gif

Bingo. People to scared to step out on they own and flourish. Unless you're hight level GS9 (I think) or above, you need to get yours in the private sector.
Yup glad I decided to go contractor route, because it is paying off in all aspects.

Last edited:
What's so bad about Eastern Motors? :lol:

They're a car dealership that will approve anyone for a car loan as long as they have a job, the catch is that the loans have insanely high interest rates

35, working retail, and got horrible credit?......Approved!!!

Their motto is literally "Your job is your credit" :smh: :lol:

But they did drop this hood classic of theme song :smokin

:lol:

They also had the "lean back" spots w/ fat joe. :lol:

LOL caking. Solidly middle class, sure.

Making $100k in DC is like making $65k in most other places in America.

Lol cats aren't pullin in 100k out of college here in DC trust me I know. I don't think yal understand how competitive/cutthroat it is here..hell some cats with PhDs aren't either & 100k will have u living good u know just gotta know where to live DC is expensive but it's not bad like y'all make it out to be

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom