BMW a good move?

Nab b.

Id rather have a 96 with 10K miles, than a 2014 with 100k.

Or are you being facetious?

BMW's maintenance fees are high though, and break down often....not a good look if you're barely scrapping by
Cop a Lexus mane

Last edited:
Reactions: Ox.
Nice sneakers and nice cars are only for men who want to impress other men.
Gotta love #NT Logic
laugh.gif

OP, don't do it!  How bad can maintenance cost be? Let me give you some insight. I own a 5 series and in 2014 I put in almost $5k in maintenance. I am about to part with it as soon as I can make up my mind on what I want next. I purchased my 5 brand new and since I take care of it and don't put a lot of mileage on it; I've been lucky. I have been out of warranty for years now and have had a few pricey repairs here and there. This last year wasn't a good look for cost in repairs though. Never and I repeat never own these cars out of warranty.

Last edited:
I'd wait till you can get a new/ certified pre-owned one.

I bought a 2004 Audi A4 2 years ago and have ran into my fair share of mechanical problems.

Also made the mistake of using a really ****** shop, which I ended up paying an additional 3K for another place to fix their mistakes.

Just get something from a reliable brand, clean with lower miles

Stay in your lane young man. I wanted a g37 Infiniti but after doing research I went with accord. More reliable. Cheap parts and low maintenance. Better on gas.

Don't do it. Get yourself something more reliable to begin with. What are you in right now? Are you able to do minor services on your own like oil changes, tire rotation flushing the fluids and such? If so that'll save you some money. Plus working on your car :smokin

No, not worth it...live at home and stack, also 
pimp.gif

i plan on getting on this over the summer to cut down costs on my current 5 mile commute

Last edited:
Im 25 years old senior in college in the market for a new car. I currently have a car im going to sell for 2k. Then I have income taxes and some other side money coming in January. I was thinking of buying a 2006 BMW 3 or 5 series for around 5-7k. 

How are these cars? Do they last long?

I know people say the maintenance is high on them but what is the worst that could go wrong?

I also have two jobs and very low monthly rent. 

(sorry for any typos) on my phone.
I stopped at $2k. Services will kill you (even at independent dealerships). Tires will also kill you. I swapped tires at least 3 or 4 times during the 3.5 or so years I had it. (Granted I had aftermarket wheels and coilovers and slightly camber in the rear). You can't rotate the tires like you would with a FWD car. Oil changes are also expensive. I used to do my own oil changes (every 5k since dealerships don't do them for free unless the car tells it). The oil and filter I bought at cost was around $100. Did the oil changes myself since my friend was a BMW tech, just went to the shop around lunch time to use his lift. Dealership was charging $250. That's 10 times what you would pay for a regular Honda car.

I bought a 335i in 2007 when it first came out. Car was around $45-50k new. Loved it, and wanted to keep it. Problems started creeping up at 70k miles. Cost me $2-3k a month for 2 months. Sold it months later for $15k since I had a lot of miles on it.

Get a dependable car now at your age. Stay out of debt. Enjoy yourself when you are established in your career.

People tend to let BMW and other non-Japanese foreign dealers intimidate them into thinking that their cars must be repaired by a professional mechanic. Looking at a BMW, I don't see anything that makes them any different from any other car. In the end it's all nuts and bolts holding a bunch of metal and plastic together. Yes, if you take your car to the dealer, you will be raped. Yes, some of the parts will be more expensive, but if you are mechanically inclined or are willing to learn, you can perform the needed maintenance and regular repairs yourself for much less.

Having said that, if you just want something really cheap to maintain, go Japan, 2000 or older. Maintenance is almost optional, LOL.

I stopped at $2k. Services will kill you (even at independent dealerships). Tires will also kill you. I swapped tires at least 3 or 4 times during the 3.5 or so years I had it. (Granted I had aftermarket wheels and coilovers and slightly camber in the rear). You can't rotate the tires like you would with a FWD car. Oil changes are also expensive. I used to do my own oil changes (every 5k since dealerships don't do them for free unless the car tells it). The oil and filter I bought at cost was around $100. Did the oil changes myself since my friend was a BMW tech, just went to the shop around lunch time to use his lift. Dealership was charging $250. That's 10 times what you would pay for a regular Honda car.

I bought a 335i in 2007 when it first came out. Car was around $45-50k new. Loved it, and wanted to keep it. Problems started creeping up at 70k miles. Cost me $2-3k a month for 2 months. Sold it months later for $15k since I had a lot of miles on it.

Get a dependable car now at your age. Stay out of debt. Enjoy yourself when you are established in your career.
Facts.

Do yourself a favor and pay cash for a reliable, used car (Toyota or Honda) with decent mileage for $5 or less.

I've owned 5 luxury cars over the past few years and I'd never consider owning one again. Even when they are paid off they are still money pits.

You can get yambs in an old impala or accord, famb...

Impala + crisp $60 new balance + fresh line up = yambs on deck

Facts.

Do yourself a favor and pay cash for a reliable, used car (Toyota or Honda) with decent mileage for $5 or less.

I've owned 5 luxury cars over the past few years and I'd never consider owning one again. Even when they are paid off they are still money pits.

Yes. Your train of thought changes as you get older. I should be in an M3 right now, the only logical choice after the 335i. Instead, I downgraded into a new TSX (this was back in 2010). I used the $15k I got for a down, qualified for .9% APR, paid $500/month for 3 years. Car is running smooth still, getting 26 MPG. Nothing major done yet at 80k miles. Just oil changes. Still on the original tires :lol:

I don't see myself owning another luxury car until I join the 1% club. Next car will probably be a 4 banger TL in AWD. The most important lesson I learned is that I will never buy another luxury car, will always lease.

Several years ago, my friend's little brother (who was 22 years old) decided to buy an '03 7 Series since it was really cheap. I told him not to do it since those 7's are very problematic. He just wanted to stunt in a big body so he didn't listen to me. Transmission went out soon after.

Buying a 2011 550i gran turismo next month and screw it nothing is holding me back. I do know that keeping my TL is a more logical choice but whatever

Last edited:
If you're going to do it OP try to find one with an extended warranty. I picked up an M5 used and the doc who had it signed his warranty over to me. It has been nothing short of amazing.

Facts.

Yes. Your train of thought changes as you get older. I should be in an M3 right now, the only logical choice after the 335i. Instead, I downgraded into a new TSX (this was back in 2010). I used the $15k I got for a down, qualified for .9% APR, paid $500/month for 3 years. Car is running smooth still, getting 26 MPG. Nothing major done yet at 80k miles. Just oil changes. Still on the original tires :lol:

I don't see myself owning another luxury car until I join the 1% club. Next car will probably be a 4 banger TL in AWD. The most important lesson I learned is that I will never buy another luxury car, will always lease.

Several years ago, my friend's little brother (who was 22 years old) decided to buy an '03 7 Series since it was really cheap. I told him not to do it since those 7's are very problematic. He just wanted to stunt in a big body so he didn't listen to me. Transmission went out soon after.

My brother drives a V6 TL with a manual transmission, dope car. He used to drive a 335i just like you and got rid of it due to the ridiculous repair costs. Personally BMWs are heavily overrated.

I'm a few years younger than you, and I wouldn't do it.

Cop a 2012-2013 Camry, I see them with low mileage for ~$16K. Payment should be pretty small and it'll last.

TSX, Accord, maybe an Altima.

Are Nissans still reliable? :lol:

Not another one of these.  LOL.  No, it's not  a good move.

cars.com

edmunds.com

If you looking for something stylish just go with the Lexus or Acura. And I would also like to know if Nissan can be trusted.

Back
Top Bottom