Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread - Series Finale - Eldorado

Originally Posted by had pants View Post

Van Alden: "I for one refuse to be ruled by fear"
Wife: "Husband!"
Van Alden: "Coming dear."

Bruh I literally laughed out loud at that part

Conors: Will I have the privilege of thanking your husband personally?

Margaret: He does nothing from the goodness of his heart, sir.
               You should know that from the outset.

Conors: Well, what does he have in mind? It's not always easy to tell.

Margeret: But you can begin by setting up an account for him.
              Under an assumed name.

Conors:  For what purpose, exactly?

Margaret: To set about shorting the stock of the Mayflower Grain Corporation.
All you're doing now is imagining things and making up things that I've never said 
laugh.gif
mean.gif

can you spot all of the inconsistencies?
 She wasn't flirting with Kennedy.
 Her company doesn't suspect her at all for what her dead boss did.
 None of what she did can even be traced back to her.  The illegal account her boss was still using after AR's death has nothing  to do with her.
 If anything you could point to her boss who committed suicide as one of those guys that led to the crash cuz that's exactly what dudes like him were doing when it was going down. 
 I'm not sure why you're stuck on somebody being sued when that's not even the threat she made.
 The only actual threat is her going to the papers and making this public
 Yeah man at this point you just making **** up.
 The whole I talked to my lawyer and it's all open and shut is a lie. How can she get money from the investment firm that's bankrupt if she talked to her lawyer?
 Then she should sue the firm not Margaret.  
 Her boss kept the account open to do w/e he did. Margaret had no control over that.
 No she can't. She has no proof.
Which wouldn't mean anything in a court of law because Margaret was working for the company under her boss's orders doing all of those things.  
  The news story would be Nucky Thompson's wife is being sued by AR's widow.
 She never said she was going to sue Nucky
  All she did was sign the papers along with her boss for him to keep using money from that account.
 Her boss wasn't withdrawing cash and  making moves with it.
 she wasn't profiting from it so it wouldn't go back to her when her boss eventually closed the account or got caught.
 The only evidence that exists is her signatures for when her boss was still using the money from AR's account after he died.
 All she ever did was  threaten to sue.
 You think AR came up there with over a 100k to invest and it was Margaret who signed off on it?

Last edited:
Shrug. Let's agree to disagree. I believe I was in the thread saying the same things I'm saying now but maybe I'm mistaken and just misremembering water cooler talks for online posts.

I wasn't alone though. This isn't hindsight. MANY a TV writer/critic hated the finale back then too:
Originally Written by Andy Greenwald of Grantland

Pitt’s Jimmy Darmody came the closest to resonating, a tarnished golden boy and WWI veteran who had no trouble breaking bad because he was already so deeply broken. Through Jimmy, Boardwalk indulged its basest — and thus most successful — instincts. In the run-up to the second season finale, Winter practically gave himself the vapors pushing Jimmy to the edge: discovering the murdered corpse of his wife before flashing back to his incestuous history with his showgirl mother; having him betray Nucky, his surrogate father, while stabbing his real one (the great Dabney Coleman) through the heart. Like frozen custard on a hot day in Seaside Heights, the texture may have seemed artificial, but at least it tasted good. Yet at season’s end, Boardwalk Empire’s most compelling character was sacrificed not as inevitable karmic retribution or to tie a ribbon on a finished story line, but to accomplish the sort of hard work that should have been done in the writers’ room months before: making Nucky Thompson, the putative protagonist, worthy of our attention. It was shocking, but felt cheap; a flawed series trying to save face by putting a bullet in Jimmy’s.
And that sums it up for me.

And in regards to me thinking Nucky is boring (because he is):
The deeper problem remains miscasting. Steve Buscemi is and always has been a fine actor, but his strength comes from an overabundance of abrasive, off-kilter energy; binding him up in the stiff formalwear of a leading man robs him of it. It’s like asking a spry point guard to play left tackle. This season, when Nucky is meant to seem put-upon, Buscemi merely appears put out: With his lips pursed tighter than his immaculate cravat, Nucky’s expression suggests someone has swapped his Canadian Club for castor oil.
In the interest of fairness, Alan Sepinwall agress with you. Including about the opening montage/credits.

Last edited:

Shrug. Let's agree to disagree. I believe I was in the thread saying the same things I'm saying now but maybe I'm mistaken and just misremembering water cooler talks for online posts.
I probably did the same the last time I argued something similar. I'm just not seeing it.

I don't doubt you said similar at the time but I don't recall a whole lot of complaints that it was rushed. Lot of ppl were upset about it but I know several ppl were basically laying it out that Jimmy's story was told.

Like, for the sake of argument, if this series started with Nuck against Gyp with Jimmy playing the background and S2 was basically Chalky vs. Narcisse. I highly doubt ppl would be saying the show was intended for Chalky to be the main (fictional) character

I wasn't alone though. This isn't hindsight. MANY a TV writer/critic hated the finale back then too:

[QUOTE url="[MEDIA=flickr]4759259870[/MEDIA]"]
Originally Written by Andy Greenwald of Grantland

Pitt’s Jimmy Darmody came the closest to resonating, a tarnished golden boy and WWI veteran who had no trouble breaking bad because he was already so deeply broken. Through Jimmy, Boardwalk indulged its basest — and thus most successful — instincts. In the run-up to the second season finale, Winter practically gave himself the vapors pushing Jimmy to the edge: discovering the murdered corpse of his wife before flashing back to his incestuous history with his showgirl mother; having him betray Nucky, his surrogate father, while stabbing his real one (the great Dabney Coleman) through the heart. Like frozen custard on a hot day in Seaside Heights, the texture may have seemed artificial, but at least it tasted good. Yet at season’s end, Boardwalk Empire’s most compelling character was sacrificed not as inevitable karmic retribution or to tie a ribbon on a finished story line, but to accomplish the sort of hard work that should have been done in the writers’ room months before: making Nucky Thompson, the putative protagonist, worthy of our attention. It was shocking, but felt cheap; a flawed series trying to save face by putting a bullet in Jimmy’s.

And that sums it up for me.[/quote]
I know ppl didn't like it. I can't argue with ppl's opinion.

I'd say I can't say what was so shocking about Jimmy's end unless you disagreed with Jimmy realizing he was wrong and making it right with Nuck before he died. That was probably the one thing I respected about Jimmy int he end cuz he at least showed he could admit he was wrong. Son did nothing but flail around as a leader, being 2nd guessed by underlings and manipulated by his mother. That stuff was hard to watch. Then come to see he didn't even want to be the boss. He just wanted a level of respect and when he got what Nuck had realized he didn't want it. I only understand ppl's complaints about Jimmy's end had the story was seriously rewritten where he simply never betrays Nucky so thoroughly.
And in regards to me thinking Nucky is boring (because he is):

[QUOTE url="[MEDIA=youtube]HqIGiVLOY4E[/MEDIA]"]
The deeper problem remains miscasting. Steve Buscemi is and always has been a fine actor, but his strength comes from an overabundance of abrasive, off-kilter energy; binding him up in the stiff formalwear of a leading man robs him of it. It’s like asking a spry point guard to play left tackle. This season, when Nucky is meant to seem put-upon, Buscemi merely appears put out: With his lips pursed tighter than his immaculate cravat, Nucky’s expression suggests someone has swapped his Canadian Club for castor oil.

In the interest of fairness, Alan Sepinwall agress with you. Including about the opening montage/credits.[/QUOTE]
Well this just reminds me of my back and forth convos with Mr. ONeg about him just not believing in Buscemi as the threatening boss character. My whole stance and still is, he's not suppose to be that. He's not the Godfather or Tony Soprano. He was more corrupt politician than gangster. That was Nucky's story, trying to attain something while dealing with this darker part of his world that he didn't revel in. We see it even more int his final season. With Jimmy's betrayal he gave in and was more ruthless and thought that would be the end of it since he wasn't and up and comer but had already conquered AC and simply wanted to bootleg his liquor in peace. Then he just encounters problem after the problem in this way like with Gyp and so on.

That's why I kinda go back to the whole Nucky Johnson thing, the real life dude wasn't some don in NJ. I'm sure if Winter wanted to this story could've been about Lucky and co. The way I see it this show and the protagonist is if this was a story about A.R. cuz the way Nucky Thompson is portrayed in this most similar and comparable to what AR had in nyc.

Looks like we'll finally be getting the long awaited Narcisse x Chalky showdown this week :smokin. It also looks like Van Alden and Eli are gonna be found out by Al.

Dammit man.
mad.gif

Chalky new what the deal was from jump; sacrificed himself for Daughter and his daughter.
tired.gif

Well damn at young Gillian. Thought it was Jimmy at first then realized that made no sense.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Crazy ending damn Chalky all that for nothing. Next week's episode is gonna be crazy I guess the kid will finally reveal himself on the finale.

Don't think the kid is Tommy anymore. I think he might just be a kid who (now that we've seen an interaction between Nucky and him) Nucky can relate to from working since his youth. Could be wrong though, because why else focus on him as much as they have?

Pour one out for Chalky and George Nelson :frown: .

Whoa..
Man, Van Alden and Chalky.. :frown:

Chalky smiling to Daughter's singing and Van Alden reciting his real name and occupation one final time and his disdain for Capone.
The blank record silence from the record off the needle during credits symbolizing the end, bravo.
And Gillian...:smh:

To the lost...

6.gif

Last edited:
My dude Van Alden tried going out in a blaze of glory :wow: :lol: :smokin |I.

R.I.P. Chalky though,I had a feeling that he wouldn't come back from his showdown with Narcisse :smh: :frown:. I wonder what Eli's gonna do now,I doubt that he'd wanna join back up with Nucky and he;s still stuck in rock bottom.

Everything's set up for an action packed last few episodes with Micky assembling the troops :pimp:

My man Omar always got to die some f***** up & stupid way
mean.gif
 (stupid as in not liked by the viewers).

Don't get what Chalky was agreeing to with Narcisse though? Had guests over so it was hard to hear the dialogue.

So those skanks just basically robbed Nucky right?

Narcisse is going to try to go at it with Luciano & The Mafia... GOOD LUCK with that 
laugh.gif

Had a feeling the thief was going to be Gillian due to the hinting (again) of the commodore's affection for young girls (when Nucky was watching him on the boardwalk & the little girl goes into the hotel with him while her mother waits 
mean.gif
sick.gif
).

RIP Van Alden you big weird SOB.

Last edited:
Don't get what Chalky was agreeing to with Narcisse though? Had guests over so it was hard to hear the dialogue.
Chalky agreed to help Narcisse deal with Luciano and Lanksy strong arming him in exchange for letting Daughter Maitland sing in clubs again instead of being a maid/servant.

Both of them knew that arrangement was ******** though.

Chalky knew Narcisse would have him killed, but he was willing to that so that Daughter and her daughter (probably his as well) would be better off.

Man I'm frustrated with this season ending the way it is... It feels so rushed, there is no reason why Van Alden and Chalkey would've gone out like this had it been a full season instead of this rushed crap.... :smh:

Them feels tho.... |I

Damn! After Harrow, Chalky was my favorite character on the show. Hate it had to be him.

A lot going down in the next two episodes.

Never cared much for Chalky, but Van Alden will surely be missed.

Joe Harper is a very intriguing character. I'm excited to see what happens to him in these last two episodes. Maybe Nucky survives the war and the series ends with Nuck in power and mentor to Joe since they have similar back stories. Notice they both refused $50. I'm sure that was not done randomly.

Back
Top Bottom