BOOKS to read BEFORE watching the movie thread - need suggestions

Just read FIGHT CLUB in 1 sitting.
loved the movie and it was true to the book, but I'm kind of upset I didn't consume them in the opposite order :smh:

I've read the Great Gatsby, but I might reread it before the movie drops

any other suggestions?

American Psycho adapted in (American Psycho 2000)

Autobiography of Malcolm X by Alex Haley 1965 adapted in (Malcolm X 1992)

If I can help it, I wouldn't read any book before the movie. The book is usually superior so I feel I can't enjoy the movie as much.

The hunger games
Cloud atlas
gatsby

Just a sidebar about gatsby. The book came out in 1925. 1925! Thats a lifetime ago. But why does it feel so contemporary to me? Perhaps the themes? I dont look at it like a old book. Where as Ill see a another title or movie published lets say 1931 and ill be like goddamn this book outdated. Just amazing how its stood the test of time. The movie should be brilliant as well. I think baz' crew can capture the essence of the times, but with
no doubt some artistic embellishment

Books appear to be better because our imagination is flawless to us. Thats not saying that books are not "better" than movies in some cases though.

Like the aforementioned, The Hunger Games. Haven't seen the movie yet but I'm afraid Hollywood will kill it for me. ^ is absolutely right, our imagination paints the fantasy world to our exact preferences and sometimes, movies usually tend to spoil them rather than reinforce the greatness of the book.

A Clockwork Orange and the Harry Potter series are the other two that come to mind. Kubrick did a good job of creating a trippy, out-of-world movie for Clockwork. I can't even watch the Harry Potter movies. They ****** up Voldemort for me so badly :smh: Just not the badass villain that I imagined when reading them books back in the day! Shiiiiii......

Doing the opposite of watching The Green Mile and just bought the book. Not sure how it'll compare but hopefully, it won't stray too far. The movie was pretty :smokin

One thing that bugs me a little is when I go watch a movie only to find out it was based off a book AFTERWARDS.

Like the aforementioned, The Hunger Games. Haven't seen the movie yet but I'm afraid Hollywood will kill it for me. ^ is absolutely right, our imagination paints the fantasy world to our exact preferences and sometimes, movies usually tend to spoil them rather than reinforce the greatness of the book.

A Clockwork Orange and the Harry Potter series are the other two that come to mind. Kubrick did a good job of creating a trippy, out-of-world movie for Clockwork. I can't even watch the Harry Potter movies. They ****** up Voldemort for me so badly :smh: Just not the badass villain that I imagined when reading them books back in the day! Shiiiiii......

Doing the opposite of watching The Green Mile and just bought the book. Not sure how it'll compare but hopefully, it won't stray too far. The movie was pretty :smokin

I always felt A Clockwork Orange was that rare case where the movie was better than the book. Loved it.

The only reason I wished I read fight club before watching the movie is because the movie was better. I was let down by the boook

i loved savages (book) but i absolutely despised the movie..

oliver stone needs to lay off the green a little.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom