Brandon Jennings is a top 3 point guard

36% shooting, 1 assist, 3 turnovers tonight.
laugh.gif
Drew Gooden had more assists than Top 3.

Originally Posted by Jay02

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Rondo isnt a complete point guard. Dudes biggest flaw in his game is the most important part of the game...putting the ball through the hoop.  He's not even anywhere close to being decent at shooting the ball. We're not going to even mention the three ball,  people fall back 3 feet daring him to attempt mid range jumpers. Jason Kidd is one of the most complete point guards of all time. Kidd could shoot, he actually had enough skill to shoot if you left him open unlike Rondo. Kidd was just too busy averaging triple doubles.

i don't understand knocking rondo's shooting and then calling jason kidd a shooter in the same paragraph. Rondo is a career 49% shooter, Kidd a career 40% shooter. dudes nickname was Ason for a while.

does Rondo have 3 pt range? NO, but he plays to his strengths which are getting to the basket and distributing. pshhh having 3pt range is overrated IMO. look at the success tony parker has had throughout his career.

i'd rather have the PG w/ great shot selection than the PG that could shoot you out of the game.

I never said Jason Kidd was a shooter but he had enough skill to be effective. Rondos 49% career shooting percentage is from layups. He simply doesnt shoot the ball because he cant. Kidds career shooting percentage is lower because he actually has enough skill to shoot from anywhere on the court. Again, although Kidds biggest strength may not have been shooting the ball he had enough skill in the area and even more skill in other areas to become one of the most complete well rounded point gaurds to ever play the game. When it comes to Rondo, I would expect someone to be around 50% shooting if all they're doing is throwing up floaters in the paint or making layups. Whether or not Rondo plays to his strengths or not he's a very limited point guard.

maybe its me but this isn't making much sense.

kidd was so skilled but has been a horrible shooter for the majority of his career? he has the skill to shoot from anywhere on the court, just not effectively?
Rondo isn't a complete player but averages 15, 9, 5 and dang near 2 steals per game? i'm not trying to flame, just trying to figure what you are typing.

Rondo is as complete of a PG as their is in the league. other than Nash and Paul, you can't really name another PG who can have the impact on the game w/o scoring like Rondo can.

case in point. jennings went 2-14 tonight after the 1st quarter and finished with 1 assist. tell me who is the complete player

I'm a BJ fan and there's no way he's a top 3 PG. Hell, I'd take Kyrie Irving over Jennings and Wall right now. (I'll admit I thought Irving was going to be a bust... Slap myself I know)

And to the people dissing J-Kidd's shooting you guys do know that's he's only behind Ray Allen and Reggie Miller in three pointers made all time?

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Because that stat means that Jason Kidd is a shooter....

True but he wouldn't be top three of all time for nothing. He's not that bad of a shooter.

Originally Posted by bleach

[h1]
[h1]Jennings should be an All-Star[/h1][h3]Milwaukee Bucks guard is playing like an All-Star and deserves to be recognized as one[/h3]
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine

Jennings has his swagger back and the numbers to back it up.

I remember the first time I met Brandon Jennings. It was in a tiny ski town in northern Italy called Folgaria. Just 19 years old, he had been practicing twice a day for several days with the grown men of Virtus Roma, the European team he had famously joined out of high school. The going was tough, and the swagger that made Jennings a favorite son at Rucker Park was gone.

But as we all know, he regained it. Boy, did he regain it.

Did you see him talking smack to Carmelo Anthony while leading Milwaukee to an embarassment of the Knicks a few weeks ago? Or strutting and glaring before the legendary members of the Miami Heat in two recent upsets of the Eastern Conference heavyweights?

Except for a few brief moments in Italy, Jennings has always been a believer in his talents. And now everyone else should believe, too, especially the Eastern Conference coaches, who should name him an All-Star next week.

The starters of the league's mid-year showcase were named yesterday, but the real drama is always in the reserves. The coaches pick the reserves so it's no popularity contest. It's much more legit than the process for picking starters; it's about ballin' and winning. And Jennings has done both this season.

Of the many surprises of this strange season -- New York's futility, Philadelphia's excellence, Ricky Rubio's stellar play -- none is bigger than what Jennings is doing in Milwaukee.

With Andrew Bogut missing nine of 21 games, with Stephen Jackson squawking about a contract extension, with a roster that (with all due respect) wouldn't strike fear in the hearts of the Syracuse Orangemen, Jennings is treating kingpins like bowling pins, taking on the league's bigwigs and often leading the Bucks to victory.

After a slow start, Milwaukee has won three straight games to surge to 10-11. If the playoffs began today, they'd be in. Melo and the Knicks, and Deron Williams and the Nets wouldn't.

Most impressively, Jennings has led the Bucks to wins in six of their last eight games, including those last three wins without the injured Bogut. And check out some of the victims -- the Heat (twice!), the Lakers, a Rockets team that had won seven straight games, and the Spurs.

And when I say Jennings is leading the Bucks, I mean leading. He is one of just two players in the entire league to lead his team in scoring, assists and steals. LeBron's not doing it. CP3's not doing it. D-Rose isn't doing it.

Just Jennings and Kobe Bryant. Pretty good company.

Jennings is averaging 20.5 points, 5.6 assists and 1.7 steals. Sure, the assist figure is a bit low, but it's virtually the same as that of sure-fire All-Star Russell Westbrook (5.7) and Westbrook's playing with Kevin Durant and James Harden. On top of that, Jennings protects the ball like a Secret Service agent, turning it over just 2.3 times a game. Of the point guards averaging as many minutes as Jennings (36.3), only Chris Paul turns it over less.

Jennings' strong play is a credit to his work ethic. Having entered the league with a suspect jumper that led to unsightly shooting his first two years (37 percent and 39 percent), Jennings is hitting 44 percent of his shots this season, including 38 percent of his 3s. Plus, he's in a system where head coach Scott Skiles demands hustle on defense.

And he's been at his best in the big moments:

• Hosting the Heat after beating them at their place a week and a half earlier? No problem. He gave them 31 points, 8 assists, 4 steals and zero turnovers to outshine LeBron and his 40. Midway through the fourth quarter, Jennings drilled three 3-pointers in a two-minute stretch to break the game open.• Going to Madison Square Garden, where Jennings hoped the Knicks would make him a permanent resident back in 2009? No problem. He gave New York 36 points, 5 dimes, 2 steals and an L.

He wouldn't be denied. And he shouldn't be denied an All-Star berth.

The starters are Derrick RoseDwyane WadeLeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard. Two guards, two forwards, a center and two wildcards will be named as the reserves.

There's only one other guard in the East who should get the nod over Jennings -- Atlanta's Joe Johnson.

Rajon Rondo has missed eight of Boston's 21 games with injury, and D-Will is shooting just 41 percent for the woeful Nets (8-15). I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with both of them being on the team but, if anything, it should be with Jennings not instead of him.

Those who know Jennings best will tell you he's always had the swag of an All-Star. Those who've watched him closest will tell you that this year he's had the game of one.
[/h1]

QFT

Is he top 3 no, i think even OP knew that but he is damn close. Rose CP3 Westbrook Rondo are the only thing standing in his way and depending on how the season goes he can overtake Westbrook. Rondo been hot here and there but its suspect. Other than those names lets not jump out there and act like he not on the rise. D will has always been decent just decent but I think that system and team of Utah made him better than what he is, and we all know steve nash is a legend time is up same to tony parker. Kyrie irving its way too early to throw him in this, and the one that angers me the most is the john wall thing, im from the area i see him play often he is not as good as some of you make it seem and he actually down in every category except turnovers which he is avg 4. BJ is a top 5 and could rise

Originally Posted by Addict4Sneakers

Rondo isnt a complete point guard. Dudes biggest flaw in his game is the most important part of the game...putting the ball through the hoop.  He's not even anywhere close to being decent at shooting the ball. We're not going to even mention the three ball,  people fall back 3 feet daring him to attempt mid range jumpers. Jason Kidd is one of the most complete point guards of all time. Kidd could shoot, he actually had enough skill to shoot if you left him open unlike Rondo. Kidd was just too busy averaging triple doubles.

i don't understand knocking rondo's shooting and then calling jason kidd a shooter in the same paragraph. Rondo is a career 49% shooter, Kidd a career 40% shooter. dudes nickname was Ason for a while.

does Rondo have 3 pt range? NO, but he plays to his strengths which are getting to the basket and distributing. pshhh having 3pt range is overrated IMO. look at the success tony parker has had throughout his career.

i'd rather have the PG w/ great shot selection than the PG that could shoot you out of the game.

I never said Jason Kidd was a shooter but he had enough skill to be effective. Rondos 49% career shooting percentage is from layups. He simply doesnt shoot the ball because he cant. Kidds career shooting percentage is lower because he actually has enough skill to shoot from anywhere on the court. Again, although Kidds biggest strength may not have been shooting the ball he had enough skill in the area and even more skill in other areas to become one of the most complete well rounded point gaurds to ever play the game. When it comes to Rondo, I would expect someone to be around 50% shooting if all they're doing is throwing up floaters in the paint or making layups. Whether or not Rondo plays to his strengths or not he's a very limited point guard. No where near complete. And whats his face talking about John Wall is putting him and Kidd in the same sentence as point guards which is just absurd. 
so you just started watchin basketball in 2010 right? because it is WELL known that Kidd has never been a shooter until the last few years.  As his body broke down, Kidd reinvented his game to develop a consistent 3pt shot...but it was not always so....

Jennings definitely isn't there yet, but it will be interesting to see his progression. Not much help on the roster yet either from a talent stand point, but benefits from good coaching and effort guys. 

hes like a top 10 pg maybe #10 ill take tony parker over him as well hes not consistant enough for my top 8

If we're talking about an actual PG, like what you really need from a point guard, not scoring wise, not the freakish dunks and athleticism, but actual facilitating and controlling the game, then I'd go with
Paul
Nash
Rondo

just cuz they play the position doesn't mean they're a "true" pg IMO. But that's my opinion, and that's why we have NT right? haha

Originally Posted by MrSwagtastic

If we're talking about an actual PG, like what you really need from a point guard, not scoring wise, not the freakish dunks and athleticism, but actual facilitating and controlling the game, then I'd go with
Paul
Nash
Rondo

just cuz they play the position doesn't mean they're a "true" pg IMO. But that's my opinion, and that's why we have NT right? haha

Rondo is inconsistent with his jump shot that it knocks him down a couple notches... Rose gets to the line and can make jumpers at the end of the game while facilitating... No way he isn't top 3.

if you don't think rose can facilitate and control the game, you need to watch some more rose games, my friend.

I love B. Jen but not top 3.
Rose

D. Will

CP

I think it depends on the teams build really.  I think in the playoffs Rondo's inability to shoot is a determent at times despite all he gives to a team.  But given any team dynamic im taking those 3 over Jennings.  I feel like a fair argument could be made for Jennings vs Westbrook vs Rondo vs Tony Parker vs Nash if you argue age/building for the future over Nash and TP.  And maybe he can be more versatile as a passer and facilitator then Westbrook and his scoring threat puts him above rondo.

But its all subjective.  Id personally take westbrook over him but i can understand the argument.  

laugh.gif
@ this thread.

(random order)

Paul
D-Will
Rondo
Rose
Nash

Dude's not even top 5,

I would probably go as far as taking Westbrook before Jennings.

^ Westbrook was better than Jennings to begin with.

He's been playing awful. The cast around him is horrid, but that has nothing to do with him putting the ball through the hoop when he's open. He simply doesnt make enough shots that he should be making.

Back
Top Bottom