Bring out the Salami and Cheese One Last Time

Just read it in the star...

The voice of the Raptors is going silent in Toronto.

Chuck Swirsky, whose energetic broadcasting style won him legions of fans over a decade here, is leaving to become the radio play-by-play voice of the Chicago Bulls.

"It's in the best interests of my family at this point," Swirsky said this afternoon.

A tireless promoter of the sport and the team, the veteran broadcaster will continue as an afternoon host on the The FAN590 radio station "for the foreseeable future" but will be in Chicago at the start of the next NBA season.

Swirsky came to Toronto a decade ago to take over the play-by-play job with a young franchise trying to establish itself in a hockey-dominated market. He became an immediate hit with his enthusiasm and willingness to interact with fans.

He's written a blog on the team's website, makes public appearances whenever he's asked and has become as synonymous with team as just about any player.

Swirsky, who lives with his wife and three children in Burlington, became a Canadian citizen earlier this season and was touted as Chuck The Canuck by the team.

Going back to Chicago is returning Swirsky to his broadcasting roots. He worked in that market for 15 years, serving as a host on the networks of the NFL Bears and MLB Cubs. He also did play-by-play at DePaul University for a decade.

"Chuck Swirsky has been a terrific play-by-play broadcaster for the Raptors, but it was his tireless dedication to the community and his direct relationship with our fans that left an indelible mark on southern Ontario and with Raptors fans across Canada," Tom Anselmi, the chief operating officer of Maple Leaf Sports said in a release.

"There are lots of good play-by-play guys out there, but only one Chuck Swirsky. He is a big loss to our organization. His passion for basketball and passion for our fans, makes him one of the game's great ambassadors. He's leaving for the right reasons, and that's to place the needs of his family at the top of his priority list. He leaves with our support, our deepest appreciation and best wishes for the future.

Saw this in the Raptors thread in S&T.

A sad day in Raptors Television.

Goodbye Salami & Cheese.

Chuck will be missed. (even though dude was the definition of 'homer')

oh wow, I didn't see that coming. And he just became a Canadian Citizen.
I guess the Salami and Cheese is in the deep freezer from now on.

damn chuck and i heard some news bout jack leavin can anyone explain the jack situation or am i just wrong

cant stand chuck, the homer $#% is just too much for me. good riddance if you ask me. i just hope they get someone decent to replace him.

I can see how some wouldn't like dude
laugh.gif

I was able to tolerate him and think he was funny
ohwell.gif
.......hope things work out for himand his family though. (Which was the reason why he had to leave here they say)

something seems fishy to me, like we're not getting the complete story.
He becomes a Canadian citizen, praises Canada and Toronto and then next thing you know - he leaves.
ohwell.gif

hmm..

Back
Top Bottom