BUILD YOUR OWN PC thread: w/ Video Tutorials (Vol. Post Your Setups)

After 9-10 years of upgrades my PC finally died (motherboard is fried). I've been in the market to build my own PC for a few monthsnow so I figure now is the time to get started.

This is the processor I will purchase (newegg.com)

[h1]Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor[/h1]
19-115-202-04.jpg

Now, I would obviously have to find a compatible motherboard (i7), the one I really like is

intel-money.jpg

block.jpg

SIX.....PCIe x 1 slots.......SIX!
eek.gif

This board would probably be very expensive but I don't see one with these exacts specs anywhere available for sale. I only see some Intels or Asus boardswith just ONE PCIe x 16 slots.....I would like more in case I'd like to add some chips or upgrades (ie eSata card , etc).

I pretty much want a powerful machine to handle anything (media work, music production, gaming, etc).

Any advice isappreciated, I want to get everything purchased asap.
pimp.gif

PS: I plan on getting a tower similar to this but not as pricey.

11-112-159-09.jpg

From all I've read those new intel chips are amazing. If I didn't just buy a computer 1 year ago, this would pry be what I would do.

That motherboard is something SERIOUS.
eek.gif

Pricey though.
laugh.gif

I know if I got this route I'm going to need a good power supply.

For starters you can buy EXACTLY what you want/need, as opposed to being forced to having all of these unnecessary add-ons when buying from a store.

Buying what I need piece by piece and doing it myself will cost me a few hundred bucks cheaper, and the specs are FARRRRR better.

On a side note, what should I look for when buying RAM? Most i7 boards are compatible only with DDR3 sticks.

One piece of advice I would give is to buy a case that many customers (edit: on newegg.com) say keep their systemscool, regardless of the price.
It's a good thing to have a case that is "future proof", I am currently suffering from buying my case first, DO NOT BUY A CASE UNTIL YOU HAVEBOUGHT ALL INTERNAL COMPONENTS. Right now I have a decent setup but I cannot unleash it to its full potential because of the case.

My setup: q6600 quad core intel core2 @stock 2.4GHz (went to 3 but the case couldn't cool it for longer than two hours.)
680i motherboard EVGA
4 Gigs DDR2 RAM ADATA brand
GTX 260 EVGA GPU (I have a second identical card in my closet but because I bought my case first and the second card wont fit, so no SLI forme
frown.gif
frown.gif
)
Thermaltake Power supply 850 watts
250 gig hard drive split to so many pieces for diff reasons.

What you want to fill your pc with is what will dictate the type of case you buy, in my eyes a case and motherboard are the too things you shouldn't becheap with so choose the best rated items you can afford, it will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

(EDIT:smile:The customers on newegg don't pull any punches, they'll let you know if something is crap
laugh.gif
read their reviews and make your own judgments,and above all take your timechoosing your parts.

Originally Posted by SuprDuperFly

One piece of advice I would give is to buy a case that many customers (edit: on newegg.com) say keep their systems cool, regardless of the price.
It's a good thing to have a case that is "future proof", I am currently suffering from buying my case first, DO NOT BUY A CASE UNTIL YOU HAVE BOUGHT ALL INTERNAL COMPONENTS. Right now I have a decent setup but I cannot unleash it to its full potential because of the case.

My setup: q6600 quad core intel core2 @stock 2.4GHz (went to 3 but the case couldn't cool it for longer than two hours.)
680i motherboard EVGA
4 Gigs DDR2 RAM ADATA brand
GTX 260 EVGA GPU (I have a second identical card in my closet but because I bought my case first and the second card wont fit, so no SLI for me
frown.gif
frown.gif
)
Thermaltake Power supply 850 watts
250 gig hard drive split to so many pieces for diff reasons.

What you want to fill your pc with is what will dictate the type of case you buy, in my eyes a case and motherboard are the too things you shouldn't be cheap with so choose the best rated items you can afford, it will save you a lot of headaches down the road.

(EDIT:smile:The customers on newegg don't pull any punches, they'll let you know if something is crap
laugh.gif
read their reviews and make your own judgments,and above all take your time choosing your parts.
Good to know. If this case from this old cpu don't work (it was free so I gutted it out) then I'm def coppin a nice tower that keep my cpucool.

The case I'm getting is rather large (with fans everywhere) and pricey so I doubt I'll have any issues in terms of space.
laugh.gif

Two things:

1) What are your thoughts on that motherboard stylez23 posted? I found one similar that's about 80$ cheaper with just a few less slots.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

2) What is a solid, reliable PC power source for a PC I'm in the market for?

As for the tower I was looking for this (or something similar).....its $349 though.

11-112-159-08.jpg

11-112-159-03.jpg

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

The case I'm getting is rather large (with fans everywhere) and pricey so I doubt I'll have any issues in terms of space.
laugh.gif

Two things:

1) What are your thoughts on that motherboard stylez23 posted? I found one similar that's about 80$ cheaper with just a few less slots.
Supr:If you can afford it, by all means buy it, that board plus good maintenance =a long time.

2) What is a solid, reliable PC power source for a PC I'm in the market for?

Supr: That board is a beast and so are the video cards you would plug into it, with no hesitation I recommend at least a one kilowatt PSU, sounds extreme now, but you'll be singing a diff tune if you plan on having a lot of hard drives spinning.

As for the tower I was looking for this (or something similar).....its $349 though.
NO
Another NTer opened my eyes in the pc gamers thread with this baby: http://www.newegg.com/Pro...spx?Item=N82E16811163154

Half the price and triple the value, it blows heat up instead of out the back side of the case, (cuz heat rises).
11-163-154-03.jpg

11-163-154-07.jpg

Thanks.
pimp.gif

I'm going to post a list of everything I plan on getting in a bit.

mez, may i suggest your from NY to check out microcenter for your parts if you don't want to go to newegg, they have most of the part available that neweggdoes and sometimes may match newegg's prices

your best friend also in looking for computer parts is at slickdeals.net they'll find good deals even on the expensive stuff, this is a good thread thatgets updated frequently, plus you get the reviews of fellow slickdealers http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=113277&t=553826

Originally Posted by Moneyright

why do people do this? its cheaper?

much cheaper my friend + customization. built mine in 05 and still works like a gem despite the fact its outdated as hell. plus, wouldnt you wanna say you canbuild your own pc? lol

anyway, to the thread starter, to help choose my parts, i'd just go on newegg and id buy all the products based on how many reviews/ratings it has (ofcourse mobo+cpu have to be compatible)

if you're a gamer wait until this month is over to see if ATI 5000 series cards are going to be mind blowing

you can build laptops but the price of building your own vs pre built is $$$, your still better off buying a a prebuilt laptop (or one that has upgradableoptions)

Originally Posted by stylez23

you can build laptops but the price of building your own vs pre built is $$$, your still better off buying a a prebuilt laptop (or one that has upgradable options)

yea its north it imo unless you have the hookups on parts. . .

I recently built a new comp over the summer with the i7 920 and Gigabyte x58UD4P mobo.
Don't waste your money ordering the i7 on newegg. I got mine from Microcenter for $200+tax. Just locate your nearest one and pick it up since its in storepickup only.

I also recall a deal for the Asus P6T mobo for about $200. (I was conflicted in purchasing the UD4P or P6T, you can't go wrong with Asus or Gigabyte.

Thanks, I wouldn't mind building my next laptop.
Does it come preinstalled with the OS you chose or do you have to install that yourself?

Back
Top Bottom