Bulls offseason Thread

here's my problem with the minutes theory...they offered him an extension after two years of the thibs minute plan. If there was a problem and they couldn't compromise, why offer him an extension?

Dudes name is Gar... I'll never like him or trust em.

So...clips got their 2 guard... Wolves as well.... What does N.O do with EG? Where does OJ wind up?

Last edited:
I don't understand what NO is doing. I don't want any parts of Eric Gordon though.

I read we were one of five teams interested in Monta Ellis? He just left 11 million on the table, we can't afford them.

am I the only one the doesn't think Jimmy will be good at the 2? The kid will be a solid 3, if not as good as Lu. I say this only because I don't seem him guarding two guards that can dribble. He does great against 3's and jump shooters. Hence why he gives Carmelo such fits.

am I the only one the doesn't think Jimmy will be good at the 2? The kid will be a solid 3, if not as good as Lu. I say this only because I don't seem him guarding two guards that can dribble. He does great against 3's and jump shooters. Hence why he gives Carmelo such fits.

I don't see a problem definsively I see it more on the offense side though.

I think Jimmy will put the work in to be better off the dribble. If hes going to play the 2 he can post up smaller guys too. When Kirk comes in he can chase the 2's around also.

I want to see Derrick work off the ball when he and Kirk play together, i think it would help get him easier shots

Bernstein: Behind The Bulls Conflict

By Dan Bernstein-
CBSChicago.com Senior Columnist

(CBS) Tension upstairs at the Berto Center brings back the good old days of Bulls basketball.

Not a day went by on the 1990s beat without the awareness of palpable antipathy simmering between general manager Jerry Krause and head coach Phil Jackson: no outcome or bit of news too small to be evaluated along the lines of their competing agendas and regular, spiteful skirmishing.

It was just the Bulls, then, operating at a high-functioning level of dysfunction.

So forgive some former reporters a bit of warm nostalgia over the past few days, as the frayed relationship between GM Gar Forman and head coach Tom Thibodeau has come to light after the team abruptly severed ties with veteran assistant coach Ron Adams. There is a similar dynamic recurring, now, that echoes the old discomfort.

Sources speaking to WSCR on the condition of anonymity provided a glimpse inside the hallways, painting a picture of two strong-willed men whose friendly cooperation has deteriorated due to both strategic disagreements and personality quirks that have caused familiarity to breed contempt.

Some important points, first. There is no question anywhere about Thibodeau’s prodigious tactical skill, or his dedication to his work. All understand that he is a defensive savant, and is able to create gameplans and execute them as well or better than his opposing counterpart on any given night.

Also, Forman is indeed a GM in full, with VP John Paxson now elevated above day-to-day operations, while remaining involved in larger-scale franchise decisions. This has been an ongoing process from the day Forman was promoted, but he is in charge of the roster, and not operating as a mere proxy for Paxson.

That noted, there are reasons the general manager and head coach have grown apart.

Minute-loads on key players in the regular season remain one sticking point. Forman believes he has continually assembled viable bench options, but then waits to see them forced into action by necessity after starters begin to crumble from overuse. He would prefer a deeper rotation employed earlier in the season, serving the dual purpose of familiarizing new players with their rigid, successful defensive concepts and holding off inevitable wear and tear on Luol Deng, Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and others.

Joking about the frustration, one source said “Ideally, they could let somebody else coach them in the regular season, then let Tom have them once the playoffs start.” Forman is frustrated by what now is a pattern – piling up victories to grab a high Eastern Conference seed, only to send a tired, depleted team out to fight for what really matters.

This concern underscores the team’s disappointment in Derrick Rose’s choice to stop his prescribed rehabilitation at the most critical juncture. They were hoping to have 30 games to start to work through the inevitable quarreling over his usage, but that is still to come.

Another lingering issue is that Thibodeau is, to put it simply, odd. He maintains no real life outside the walls of the practice facility, essentially living there. He is a constant presence, and his grim, obsessive demeanor weighs on the workplace. His casual interactions with others can be brusque, and he has been described as mostly unconcerned with anything not directly involved with coaching basketball.

Advised at one time to take a vacation, Thibodeau planned a week off. He was back at the Berto after one day.

Players began to feel so suffocated last year that they were choosing to work out by themselves at a gym less than a mile down the road. Even professional athletes who want and appreciate good coaching need room to breathe, time to let their guard down and not feel watched. Some Bulls had to sneak out to do it.

Forman is not exactly a politician, either, and his consolidation of power has brought with it an increasingly Krause-like insularity. Thibodeau – to his credit — has presented a consistent public message about everybody working together to win, and has been disappointed by what he feels have been Forman’s recent, unsolicited admissions of disagreements with coaching decisions. Thibodeau knows that his boss is entitled to opinions, but believes his outward commitment to a united front deserves to be reciprocated.

The unexpected ouster of the respected and well-liked Adams was a shot by Forman off Thibodeau’s bow, causing some insiders to believe it is highly unlikely that the coach will see the end of his four-year contract extension.

Trying times again in Deerfield, and all-too-familiar feelings for a Chicago franchise. Jerry Reinsdorf must be used to this, by now, with a source explaining that the Forman/Thibodeau situation is less like Krause and Jackson, and “more like Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen, but without Twitter.”

Those other cases of famous discord correlated with championships, however. This one may not.

The minutes thing is a legitimate gripe to me.

Given that our core of players have had injury problems, I'd wish Thibs would lay off the minutes. I'd much rather sacrifice regular season success if that meant a deep playoff run.

The minutes thing is a legitimate gripe to me.

Given that our core of players have had injury problems, I'd wish Thibs would lay off the minutes. I'd much rather sacrifice regular season success if that meant a deep playoff run.

For derrick's MVP season I didn't really mind it much, but the season after they could've eased off the throttle a bit.

It definitely needs to be addressed, or at least really discussed since health is only second to the Heat as a barrier for the championship...especially in 2012.

I will gripe about minutes when we have a bench capable of sustaining play period, thats Gar job. What we normally have is 1 or 2 decent bench players which means someone will always be odd man out and over played. ppl never look at the overall picture, we are offensively challenged even when rose is playing then we go to the bench and its gets ugly

Do I want our stars to play heavy all season no, but I also see the forced hand on thibs side, Gar mad about a situation he created

Last edited:
I will gripe about minutes when we have a bench capable of sustaining play period, thats Gar job. What we normally have is 1 or 2 decent bench players which means someone will always be odd man out and over played. ppl never look at the overall picture, we are offensively challenged even when rose is playing then we go to the bench and its gets ugly

Do I want our stars to play heavy all season no, but I also see the forced hand on thibs side, Gar mad about a situation he created

This.

Thibs is forced to play starters heavy minutes cause the bench was full of incapable players

Dude had to look down and see Radmonivich and Dequan *** every time

I dont blame em get him a real bench capable of playing more than three minutes of effective basketball in a quarter and im sure hed ease up

This.

Thibs is forced to play starters heavy minutes cause the bench was full of incapable players

Dude had to look down and see Radmonivich and Dequan *** every time

I dont blame em get him a real bench capable of playing more than three minutes of effective basketball in a quarter and im sure hed ease up

How about you come into the Lakers thread and explain how this works :lol:

Thibodeau is not the problem, it's the crappy GM that goes and resigns Nazr and let's Asik, Marco, and Nate walk.

Get a new GM not coach

Thibodeau is not the problem, it's the crappy GM that goes and resigns Nazr and let's Asik, Marco, and Nate walk.

Get a new GM not coach

nazr resigning wasnt a bad thing at all

asik didnt walk at all his stupid contract offer wasnt matched & that was by far the 100000% correct thing to do

marco was replaced by dunleavy ...most consider it an upgrade

nate is walking but i think he will realize anyone who can give you a multi yr deal & pay what you want also will be in the depth of the league....take the yr play alongside d rose & overall playing for a title contender

coming off the bench for the bulls > starting for the kings or bobcats & seeing 15-25 W's a season

What are y'all on? You wanna talk about how the bench has been weak and that Gar isn't capable of putting out quality players yet in reality the bench has always been the strongest links during Thibodeau's tenure, then ask for Marco and Nate back? The only reason VladRad and Cook were getting burn was because the whole team was riddled with injuries. I'm confused.

What money are we going to use? Like it or not the FO is gearing towards 2014. You wanna move Deng to re-sign Marco and Nate? Nah b. There's a reason why Nate hasn't been offered any huge contracts yet. Teams know his value - he's still inefficient and terrible on D. He has more value to us than to any other team because Thibs can get the best out of him, which is why I haven't lost hope on us re-signing him.

The Asik thing was definitely 100% on Gar for not moving him for assets, but signing him to the contract the Rockets did would have been stupid knowing he'd only be getting spot minutes behind Noah and nothing more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom