Bulls offseason Thread

I like the pick but Shabazz is close to stretching/ready to go

.I don't know what doggie.can do at nba pace he can barely move..but Shabazz instead of dj would be right for us
We traded away two players for 1 because we are putting the money toward getting Carmelo who you love so much and some vets.

[h1]Doug McDermott is out to prove he’s more complete than you think[/h1]
Scott Dargis

Jun 26, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

NEW YORK – When you’re given the nickname Dougie McBuckets, it’s no secret that your specialty is putting the basketball where its intended destination is, even if your NBA team changes within a 10 minute time span.

Doug McDermott wound up in potentially the best possible spot for him thanks to the Chicago Bulls, who gave up their two first round picks (16 and 19) to Denver for McDermott after selecting him with the 11th overall pick. The Bulls needed to find someone who could come in and score right away to take some of the burden off of a returning Derrick Rose.

During his senior year campaign at Creighton, McDermott led the nation in scoring (26.7 ppg) and did it in a variety of ways. He made 57 percent of his two point shots, 45 percent of his three point shots (while taking six per game) and made 86 percent of his free throws. This wasn’t just a one year explosion; McDermott’s scoring average went up during each of his four years in college. Wait college basketball players are actually allowed to go to school for four years and graduate with a degree!?

It was apparent during his final two seasons that he had a skill that could transfer over to the NBA, but the biggest question mark around McDermott is his ability to improve the rest of his game, especially his defense, into an acceptable level in the NBA. McBuckets knows what has to be done.

“Defensively I have to get a lot better and be able to prove that I can guard some of those positions that’s the main thing,” he said on Wednesday during the pre-draft media availability. “I know I can score, I know I can shoot, I know I can move without the ball, but you know the main thing is on the defensive end.”

He’s worked on more than just his defense and it sounds as though McDermott has been working on improving every aspect of his offensive game since his college career wrapped up, but perhaps nothing more so than his ability to control his own offense.

“Ball handling a lot just because there is a lot of space in the NBA and the more you can create for yourself, the more successful you’re going to be.

McDermott also understands that the transition into the NBA isn’t just going to be about evolving his physical abilities, changing his mental approach to life as a member of the NBA is just as important.

“You know it’s different, I’ve been in college for four years, so all of a sudden I’m going to have all of this free time, so I’m going to be in the gym a lot more than I was. Obviously I’m going to be getting paid money to do it now, so it’s a job,” McDermott said. “You gotta take it real serious because there are a lot of good players in this world that can come up at the next level and take your job at some point.”

But what job would a player be taking? McDermott’s skill set lends itself perfectly to that of a small-ball four, which would likely be his calling card if he were two inches taller (he’s currently listed at 6’8”). If he plays the three, he’s going to have to guard the likes of LeBron JamesKevin DurantPaul George  and Carmelo Anthony.

So what position does McDermott think he’ll be at the next level?

“A three, I think I’ll play the three at the next level. In college I played the four for the most part just because we were pretty small, but we switched one through four sometimes one through five, so I’ve guarded a lot of wings during my four years,” he said.

Could he be a small-ball four?

“I think so. I think you’ve seen more stretch fours who aren’t quite as tall, so you know I think I could help there. Certainly once I am established in the league and maybe put on some more weight and bulk I could potentially guard fours too.”

The toughest transition for Dougie McBuckets is going to be bursting through the sticker that says “Hello, I’m a shooter and I can’t do anything else”. It’s a label that has doomed many before McDermott (HI JIMMER!), but it’s also one that he recognizes. It’s something that has driven him during the time between the end of his college career and the draft.

“A lot of people label me as just a spot up shooter, but I think that I’m a lot more than that. I feel like I can put the ball on the floor and come off of screens really well, so I’ve been working on that a lot.”

Welcome to the windy city Mr. McBuckets.

Went back and read all these post's :smh:

Some of y'all act Like AA was the second coming. It's been said over and over and over......we're shaving salaries to make room for Melo...period, point, blank.

In all realness Booz, MDJ, Randolph, brewer, Greg smith, mike James, Lou Amundson all these cats are just chips to sweeten the pot.
I still expect the FO to cook, but we gotta ease up. Let's see how this all unfolds.

I like the Dougie pick as our sixth man.

Last edited:
Went back and read all these post's :smh:

Some of y'all act Like AA was the second coming. It's been said over and over and over......we're shaving salaries to make room for Melo...period, point, blank.

In all realness Booz, MDJ, Randolph, brewer, Greg smith, mike James, Lou Amundson all these cats are just chips to sweeten the pot.
I still expect the FO to cook, but we gotta ease up. Let's see how this all unfolds.

I like the Dougie pick as our sixth man.
We are shaving Salaries, but at the end of the day we still gotta bolster our Squad. If we get Melo without having toto do a sign and trade we will be in a good space.

I don't hate the pick Really he just might pan out..I'm just saying I don't see him adjusting...we should of grabbed Napier and done something with the other pick...

what's going on with Dj Augustin???
We going to be able to keep him??

If you're trading 2 picks you need a top 10 talent not a 8th or 9th man.  They are betting everything on Rose being healthy AND signing a top free agent.  Realistic fans know that tonight was a failure, while fair weather fans seem to like it.

If you're trading 2 picks you need a top 10 talent not a 8th or 9th man.  They are betting everything on Rose being healthy AND signing a top free agent.  Realistic fans know that tonight was a failure, while fair weather fans seem to like it.

Man we know we can't put all our eggs in the rose basket...that's just unfair to derrick and puts a dumb amount of pressure on a superstar truing to get Bak to form...that's why.I'm glad joakim stepped up..

Last edited:

I admittedly know nothing about Douglas McDermott, so I youtubed him.

Based off of the highlight reel, I was impressed. I was expecting a video full of spot up j's but he can create his points. That's a big plus. The biggest issue is his lack of athleticism and speed. We'll just have to wait and see if he can adjust to the bigger and quicker players in the nba.

]

Last edited:
It was obvious we weren't going to keep both picks, I actually thought we were going to get Stauskis from the Kings.

With that said ..

You guys don't like the Doug McDermott pick? :smh: .. We draft instant offense, somebody who can come in play right away, and you guys are upset? Some of ya must really love our 5-7 min scoring droughts during crunch time. Add in the fact we picked up Randolph and his expiring deal, which will be an asset, we had a very soild draft. I give the FO A LOT of grief but they made the right move last night.

By the way, I'm not sure this was stated but Anthony Randolph can be traded separately after 60 days...BUT the team has to be under the cap and I believe with his contract they're slightly over. He can't be included in any S&T scenarios though. I don't expect him to be on the roster on opening night.

I think MDJ may be moved next to continue clearing cap room for Melo.

Edit:

This crossed my mind too; if McBuckets is a PF then we may have a logjam at the position , assuming if Mirotic is brought over and Taj remains with the team.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm not sure this was stated but Anthony Randolph can be traded separately after 60 days...BUT the team has to be under the cap and I believe with his contract they're slightly over. He can't be included in any S&T scenarios though. I don't expect him to be on the roster on opening night.

I think MDJ may be moved next to continue clearing cap room for Melo.

Edit:

This crossed my mind too; if McBuckets is a PF then we may have a logjam at the position , assuming if Mirotic is brought over and Taj remains with the team.

"The Bulls will likely look to use his salary in a trade, though they can’t package him in a deal for 60 days, according to league rules. They can trade him straight-up immediately."

:pimp:
dougie mcbuckets will prbly get more burn than tony did this yr & if im not mistaken the 2nd round pick played with tony in college need to yt him cuz i have no idea how he looks

The last Aussie on the team, who was also a New Mexico Lobo..

Dougie McBuckets reminds me of Wally World. He was a scoring machine in college and injuries affected his NBA career but the man could score.

Back
Top Bottom