Business Management Graduates (Management Degree) Post your starting salaries and what you do

Basically, I'm graduating this summer and I don't know what I want to do with my degree. It's Business Administration: Management. ObviouslyI'm not going to go manage something right out of college. I want to know what you guys did, where, and how much the starting salary was when you took thejob. I've heard people say anywhere from 30k-65k. I'm trying to see if there's a possibility of making 50k starting out and what kind of work Iwould be doing. Thanks in advance for your help.

mo, unless you're trying to actually manage, your degree is extremely broad. you could end up in project management making 50-60 right out of school

Originally Posted by pootaing

mo, unless you're trying to actually manage, your degree is extremely broad. you could end up in project management making 50-60 right out of school

Really? My man pootaing.
pimp.gif
Project Management is actually pretty interesting. What does one do at the entry level of project management though?

i wish you the best. my degree in behavioral science (psych) is damn near useless.

You would probably just start as a supervised team member. You would have pretty simple responsibilities, its just like planning an event except this would befor certain projects that your company is testing or trying to incoporate

EDIT: ripped this from a entry level application posting in my area, take it for what its worth

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Position Description:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Responsible for the coordination and completion of projects across various functional areas. Provides subject matter expertise in areas including project management, project scope definition, risk identification, project methodology, resource allocation, facilitation, and other areas of expertise based on professional knowledge and background. Makes presentations to management on project updates, project cycle, and expected results. Ensures projects are completed on time and in scope.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Prescription Solutions is an empowering place for people with the flexibility to help create change. Innovation is part of the job description. New ideas are welcome. And passion for improving the lives of our customers is a motivating factor in everything that happens.[/font]

I have alot of retail management experience..cellphone kiosk, clothing store, and a couple of carwashes..
Would a business management degree be good for me?
Basically what degree would go well with some of the experience i already have?

I'm a Buis Mangment Major too...I'd like to own my own louge or restaurant someday but who knows what I'll end up doing

Graduating in May, will be working for the federal government as a budget analyst. I'll be a GS 7 which is like 45-52k a year.

Originally Posted by Gmills23

Graduating in May, will be working for the federal government as a budget analyst. I'll be a GS 7 which is like 45-52k a year.

How'd you get that?

[qupte]Really? My man pootaing[/quote]

Yeah or you could end up as a salesmen on commission making $30K. Bus. MGMT. Degrees are way too broad these days. Time to specialize in something.

i started with a salary of 40-45k i cant remember exactly. but i was only in my field for about 7 months. then i changed and got a salary increase. Mgmt is toobroad.

started at 57k when I graduated. Im Regional market manager for Hotel management company

if you don't have any mgmt experience then you will not be making anything close to 50k (this is where i'm at
smh.gif
)

i make something slight but its something in this economy when it could be nothing. i'd suggest getting your masters in something specialized. i plan ondoing that, i just don't know what yet

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

if you don't have any mgmt experience then you will not be making anything close to 50k (this is where i'm at
smh.gif
)

i make something slight but its something in this economy when it could be nothing. i'd suggest getting your masters in something specialized. i plan on doing that, i just don't know what yet
You probably want to get a few years or real world work experience before pursuing that masters. Not to say that an MBA on its own doesn'thave value, but its not like companys are going to be falling over each other trying to hire a fresh MBA grad with no work experience on their resume.

I graduated with a degree in BA - emphasis in MIS and IS or IT was the last thing I wanted to do. Having a degree in business administration, regardless ofyour emphasis is a very broad degree that can be applied to many different fields. In fact, my first gig out of college was a management program for anelectrical distribution company. The pay was REAL crappy ($28K + bonuses, for a net $32-35K/yr) and the program I was in was balls. I ended up getting about9-10 months into it before I got fed up and decided to look for something else. I ended up looking through Craigslist for some entry level business relatedpositions and ended up in Finance. 5+ years later and I am now a credit manager at a niche specialty finance company and I LOVE what I do. The pay isnt greatbut I love everything about the field I work in (I make somewhere between $60-100K but havent had a raise in over 2 years... working for a small business inthe finance sector in this economy FTL).

My advice is to just try and get your feet wet somewhere. You'll never know what you like and don't like until you try it and you may be surprised. Honestly, if you end up in some different business related field whether it be Finance, HR, Accounting, whatever, you may still have use for those managementskills in the future as you move up that corporate ladder. Good luck.

Originally Posted by jgalan713

I have alot of retail management experience..cellphone kiosk, clothing store, and a couple of carwashes..
Would a business management degree be good for me?
Basically what degree would go well with some of the experience i already have?
the types of management experiences you listed are only task management level which requires no degree. A business degree would open up the doorsto middle management in a air cooled office.

Mo, you're most likely gonna end up at a desk job doing your bosses work. Then you work your way up the corporate ladder. you might have to loosen the jawand get on your knees. i keed

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by PUSHA C

smh.gif
)

i make something slight but its something in this economy when it could be nothing. i'd suggest getting your masters in something specialized. i plan on doing that, i just don't know what yet
You probably want to get a few years or real world work experience before pursuing that masters. Not to say that an MBA on its own doesn't have value, but its not like companys are going to be falling over each other trying to hire a fresh MBA grad with no work experience on their resume.

I graduated with a degree in BA - emphasis in MIS and IS or IT was the last thing I wanted to do. Having a degree in business administration, regardless of your emphasis is a very broad degree that can be applied to many different fields. In fact, my first gig out of college was a management program for an electrical distribution company. The pay was REAL crappy ($28K + bonuses, for a net $32-35K/yr) and the program I was in was balls. I ended up getting about 9-10 months into it before I got fed up and decided to look for something else. I ended up looking through Craigslist for some entry level business related positions and ended up in Finance. 5+ years later and I am now a credit manager at a niche specialty finance company and I LOVE what I do. The pay isnt great but I love everything about the field I work in (I make somewhere between $60-100K but havent had a raise in over 2 years... working for a small business in the finance sector in this economy FTL).

My advice is to just try and get your feet wet somewhere. You'll never know what you like and don't like until you try it and you may be surprised. Honestly, if you end up in some different business related field whether it be Finance, HR, Accounting, whatever, you may still have use for those management skills in the future as you move up that corporate ladder. Good luck.

X2

i'm in the acct department of a medical staffing company doing payroll. pay is sub-par but i'm getting some quality experience with payroll programs,getting certified, and just seeing how business works from the inside out. i definitely feel blessed cause it wasn't lookin good AT ALL when i firstgraduated in june

Do yourself a favor mo, get an internship! I had one at Cisco, i have more than a few jobs lined up now

waddupper... this is what i'm gunnin for... well... what i'm gonna graduate w/...

bachelors in biz management
" " " " marketing
minor in general biology...

i'm tryin to make some moves w/ this... i wanna pursue my MBA... but i keep hearing that its worthless unless you got some XP (word to modern warfare 2)

so chunk me a lil advice too, niketalk fam...

i love these threads cuz there are jobs all over that folks dont know about...

plus... i think my nba draft stock is declining...

and my rhymes aint tight enough...

lol...

i graduated with a business administration degree to, wit a focus in mgmt. it really is too broad.

i work as a technical recruiter for a staffing company. i make around $45k. graduated 3 years ago.

i plan on studying for a PMP cert so i can become a project manager one day soon. otherwise, imma go back to school for an MBA.

good luck to you man. it's tough right now.

Did any of you guys even apply to management strategy consulting firms (NO IT )?

Booz?
Deloitte?
Bain?
Boston Consulting Group?
McKinsey?

I mean if you want to make above 60K, consulting is the way to go.
Bain, Deloitte, and McKinsey recruit pretty hard at my school. If I was a business undergrad, consulting with be my top choice.

I heard McKinsey interviews are brutal though
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom