C Students are the winners in life

No, not everything I disagree with is worthless, what YOU said is worthless. You brought up a half baked statment that looks at one extreme side of the coin and completely left off the other side. You didn't speak of any balance just one extreme. Your statment pretty much embodies the worthless article in the op

But go ahead, keep doing this..

^Depends. In the accounting program I was in they would not let you graduate with less than a 3.0 and it was a top 20 school when it came to accounting. Top 100 in most other business related degrees.

Im positive other schools are like that. Besides the school of business, art, and nursing, my school was trash. CompSci in my school was probably in the bottom 10 schools in the nation.
Actually, no school that I've heard of is like that....maybe in your major, but overall GPA no...

word. This only works for sociology degree or art degree students that can BS their way through papers and exams. No possible way to coast through an anatomy&physiology course or biochem or organic chemistry or any of the sciences. Plus going for a program where 1000+ students apply and they only accept 100 students..........you BEST believe 900 3.9gpa and below students are getting the boot.
I understand this viewpoint, and you're right in this regard....But we aren't talking about getting into colleges within colleges we are talking about success....these are obviously measured by more hard skills than soft, but you would be surprised by how many c-students get into these schools.....quite a few actually.

Last edited:
I actually heard someone tell me something similar last night.
I met this woman randomly at a kimchi spot and she said to me, be a B+ student.

I get to have fun while retaining a relatively high GPA.

Something to think about I guess.

The one thing that bothers me about this mentality is that they forget to mention this usually applies to already smart people who are just bored with school.

Like you can't be average at life and get Cs or drop out. I knew a kid who dropped out junior year and by the next was making $100k in coding contracts.
He already had something to him that he could do.  If you're just average with nothing exceptional to contribute its not likely this strategy will work.

Truth. It's usually the dumb people using this line tho. It gets so annoying. And then u always get that person that tries to say that u got grades just be u can memorize stuff and it doesn't prove anything. If u think it's so easy why didn't u do it. I agree that good grades don't guarantee success but it makes it a whole lot easier to get there. And there's a correlation with good grades and starting salaries. Why start off behind. There's a bunch a high gpa people that wouldn't do well in the real world but I sure as hell would rather take my chance on them by statistically speaking they have a history of success. Plus I'm in a profession where grades are everything.

I understand this viewpoint, and you're right in this regard....But we aren't talking about getting into colleges within colleges we are talking about success....these are obviously measured by more hard skills than soft, but you would be surprised by how many c-students get into these schools.....quite a few actually.

ONe question. Would u hire the 2.0 student or the 3.7 student all else things being equal? I understand that the 2.0 student can come to the company and be the best investment ever but from a statistical standpoint, I'm choosing the 3.7. That's a track record of success and I'm more willing to gamble with that

Truth. It's usually the dumb people using this line tho. It gets so annoying. And then u always get that person that tries to say that u got grades just be u can memorize stuff and it doesn't prove anything. If u think it's so easy why didn't u do it. I agree that good grades don't guarantee success but it makes it a whole lot easier to get there. And there's a correlation with good grades and starting salaries. Why start off behind. There's a bunch a high gpa people that wouldn't do well in the real world but I sure as hell would rather take my chance on them by statistically speaking they have a history of success. Plus I'm in a profession where grades are everything.
Ehh...Lazy maybe but dumb? Nah. And this is coming from someone who got good grades in College. I work in a competitive field and nobody has ever asked me what my GPA is.....Grading shows the ability to do a skill really well but that actually translate into the business world as entry level worker. If you do a job really well you'll never get promoted because why would anyone promote someone who can perform their current roll really efficiently? I made a suggestion at my current employer and was promoted like that despite being under qualified because I showed an ability to think outside the box and save my company half a million annually.

Last edited:
ONe question. Would u hire the 2.0 student or the 3.7 student all else things being equal? I understand that the 2.0 student can come to the company and be the best investment ever but from a statistical standpoint, I'm choosing the 3.7. That's a track record of success and I'm more willing to gamble with that
Honestly would not factor into my decision, and I'm being honest because I hire people.....

Last edited:
Ehh...Lazy maybe buy dumb? Nah. And this is coming from someone who got good grades in College. I work in a competitive field and nobody has ever asked me what my GPA is.....Grading shows the ability to do a skill really well but that actually translate into the business world as entry level worker. If you do a job really well you'll never get promoted because why would anyone promote someone who can do a job really efficiently? I made a suggestion at my current employer and was promoted like that despite being under qualified because I showed an ability to think outside the box and save my company half a million annually.

A good gpa gets you in the door. Being able to do your job efficiently keeps u there. Being smart (not in terms of academic success) gets you moved up. I know that gpa is irrelevant once your in, but the key thing is getting in and that's why a good gpa is needed. Now the people that I think are smart are the ones that know how to work the system which is how I approached school and got grades. I knew to take the easiest classes amd keep that gpa up and although I'm not successful yet I am def on the path I planned on and set myself up for with my gpa

A good gpa gets you in the door. Being able to do your job efficiently keeps u there. Being smart (not in terms of academic success) gets you moved up. I know that gpa is irrelevant once your in, but the key thing is getting in and that's why a good gpa is needed. Now the people that I think are smart are the ones that know how to work the system which is how I approached school and got grades. I knew to take the easiest classes amd keep that gpa up and although I'm not successful yet I am def on the path I planned on and set myself up for with my gpa
Agree and disagree, to me GPA is beneficial for your first job but after that? Hardly. It's kind of like once you go to grad school you still going to put your undergrad GPA on your resume? After you have your first real career related job are you really going to put your GPA on your resume? Nah....

GPA in highschool is far more important imo, it gets you into a good college which is far more important than your gpa.

Agree and disagree, to me GPA is beneficial for your first job but after that? Hardly. It's kind of like once you go to grad school you still going to put your undergrad GPA on your resume? After you have your first real career related job are you really going to put your GPA on your resume? Nah....

GPA in highschool is far more important imo, it gets you into a good college which is far more important than your gpa.

Yea I agree with you that gpa is irrelevant once u get your first job. But most of the people I know we're shooting for Wall Street jobs or Fortune 500 companies or professional schools. This stuff is really competitive, your competing for a 6 fig salary out of undergrad or a position in a medical school, I truly do not believe they would have gotten where they were without the college they attended or their high gpas. I feel like ur pretty smart and succesful and I'm not trying to undermine you but I'm not talking about being average or having average goals... The high gpa was kinda do or die for a lot of us

Yea I agree with you that gpa is irrelevant once u get your first job. But most of the people I know we're shooting for Wall Street jobs or Fortune 500 companies or professional schools. This stuff is really competitive, your competing for a 6 fig salary out of undergrad or a position in a medical school, I truly do not believe they would have gotten where they were without the college they attended or their high gpas. I feel like ur pretty smart and succesful and I'm not trying to undermine you but I'm not talking about being average or having average goals... The high gpa was kinda do or die for a lot of us
Agree on all those points sir, especially the right school being a prerequisite. I would also like to say I agree that it tends to be poor students making these claims...

Last edited:
Grades mean nothing
It's all about connections, your network, and how you can make yourself look more important than you really are

Man for all u students out there please dont listen to this thread

Study hard and get As

I followed this C lifestyle and it effed me over now im in a rut

^^it depends on what you are doing though :lol:

But yeah overall it is a combo of a few things but for CERTAIN things that people want to do there is a minimum.

Man for all u students out there please dont listen to this thread

Study hard and get As

I followed this C lifestyle and it effed me over now im in a rut

Agreed 100%. Spent my first few years of college with that mentality and it really ****** me over. Still trying to atone for it today

The only time I can see grades mattering is for lawyers. Its one of those fields where if you want to become a lawyer in this day an age there is no point going anywhere but one of the top 10-15 schools. Otherwise you will have been in school for 7 years, gotten near doctorate level student loans, for a $15 an hour job.

Congratulations, you now make the seattle min wage.

People tend to worry too much about grades and let education get in the way of how much they learn in college

Back
Top Bottom