Calvin Johnson: Greatest WR of All Time Discussion

Calvin Johnson was a great player.

I have Rice, Terrell, Moss, Marvin, Hutson, CC, Alworth, Largent ahead of him.

You trying to tell me Calvin Johnson would be a greater player if he hung around and was average for the next 4 years to pad his stats?

If he was just average the next 3 years he would be top 10-15 in all receiving categories while still playing less seasons than anyone above him.

Basing greatness on cumulative stats is why Chris Paul just got named the 29th player in NBA history.

Good points. This man has nothing left to prove, I don't see how playing an extra few years to satisfy these stat happy people would help him anymore.

And where does one have to rank on NFL all-time lists to be qualified for the Hall? To base it off that alone is pretty unfair, to me.

Last edited:
You letting the fact he scorched Va Tech with Reggie Ball as QB cloud your judgement

In Hall of Fame voting, though, it's not only how you start but also how you finish -- in seasons and in careers. Johnson's work could be considered unfinished for some. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Johnson has the most receiving yards (11,619) and the most touchdown receptions (83) for any player in NFL history not to win a playoff game. Hall of Fame voters also have struggled for years with wide receivers. The game in the 1970s was geared toward running, not passing. As a result, receivers didn't put up the huge numbers and it took decades to get the best receivers of the 1970s enshrined.

Calvin Johnson has exceptional numbers but could get caught in line behind other modern-era wide receivers. The passing numbers seen in the current era are staggering. Seven receivers caught more than 100 passes this year. It took Michael Irvin 12 years to catch 750 passes. Charlie Joiner caught 750 in 17 seasons. Johnson needed nine to get to 731, but some of the new, younger receivers such as Odell Beckham Jr., Antonio Brown and Julio Jones might be able to top 700-750 yards in eight. That's how the game is evolving.

Those numbers work against Johnson. Marvin Harrison has passed through a couple of years of votes without success, and he has 1,102 catches for 14,580 yards. Henry Ellard (13,777 yards) and Holt (13,382) top Johnson, and they didn't make the list of 15 finalists for this year's Hall. Terrell Owens has the second-most yards in NFL history, yet there is no guarantee he will get accepted on the first ballot.

It won't help Johnson if Harrison, Ellard and Holt don't get in over the next five years. Johnson needs more time on the field to think Hall of Fame. A playoff win also would help.

Johnson made some spectacular plays in his career, and was one of the few bright spots in Detroit every time he put on his cleats. But as for a slam-dunk, first-ballot Hall-of-Fame career, he falls short.

Don't let that elite athleticism fool you. He'll struggle to get in.

Megatron will be byke. Just give him time to heal and iron out a deal to get him out of Detroit.

Last edited:
Megatron is gone 
frown.gif

Why doesn't Jordy ever get discussed in GOAT convos? He's been top 3 for almost a decade, can't say the same for any other WR in history.

Chester serious question, how is comparing stats fair when TO played TWICE the seasons Calvin did?

TO had 15k yards in 14 seasons, Calvin had 11k in 8. At that rate if Calvin played the same amount of seasons as TO did then Calvin would almost be at 20k yards.

I just don't get stat comparisons when one player is ending his career having played half the years as most of those other receivers above him in those all time stats.

11k in 8 seasons > 15k in 14 seasons (per year average)

Calvin's the most dominant WR of his era.

#firstBallot

SALUTE Megatron. Great career[emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji][emoji]128293[/emoji]

Calvin Johnson could very well have had the most "underwhelming" career. I know this may have been said copiously throughout the thread, but it's amazing to think just how far short he fell from expectations. He had the chance to be a once in a generation type talent, but again we witnessed the Detroit Lions scour away another player who may have left football a bit prematurely.

If TO isn't 1st ballot, I'm not sure how Calvin is.

He was a great talent, but underwhelming is a great word to describe his career.

That's only cause he played for the Lions :lol: :smh:

of all-time? this past generation was marvin harrison.

That's before CJ's era,he retired before his 2nd year iirc.

For the whole first ballot issue,I don't see why we always need to look at precedent and it can't be on a case by case basis. It depends on the specific class,TO would've been first ballot any other year where there wasn't someone else like Marrison imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom