Can Michael Jordan help stop the violence caused by fighting over his shoes?

Is it Steve Jobs/Tim Cook fault that people are/were getting robbed for iPhone's?

Why isn't that reported...because it's not a "good" news story.

If Apple was deliberately limiting releases of their products and not to release them for another 3 plus years then yes. They don't do that so no.

If Apple was deliberately limiting releases of their products and not to release them for another 3 plus years then yes. They don't do that so no.

Apple does deliberately limit the release of their products, so they can have long lines on release day and have the news talk of shortages. Those are essentially free advertising and commercials.

You think after all these years Apple isn't prepared for release days yet?

Last edited:
Apple does deliberately limit the release of their products, so they can have long lines on release day and have the news talk of shortages. Those are essentially free advertising and commercials.

At least with Apple you know more products are coming. Eventually the shelves will be full of the latest iphone, macbook, or whatever; so camping out day one is strictly your own choice. With Nike you might get a restock or 2 if you're lucky.  After that it's a wrap.

Not really. Initially maybe but not for very long. And that part I get. Create initial hype, wait for a sell out then produce more to meet the demand.

Good post, agree with most of it. 

Just curious what solutions do you have for the lowlives that are adamant about turning it up, and starting problems? We saw the FCFS fiascos, but what else can be done to stop the violence? 

Also, what else could be done to stop these computer geeks from ruining RSVPs? Or, shady employees (who certainly have a hand in this) that piss off honest consumers by sending mixed messages, lying, cheating systems. Those folks waiting in the cold have a right to be PISSED when they know they got screwed over. Lot's of blame to go around.

For the first part, throw them in a jail. A security guard gets no respect because he has no authority. The presence of a few cops makes a difference because they can actually do something to those causing problems. There's a level of accountability there.

Regarding the geeks and bots. I stopped partaking in this sneaker nonsense by the time they came into the picture so like sway I don't have the answers to that.

Regarding shady employees. If the shadiness is outright blatant and obvious. Call corporate. Contact their district manager. These are at will employees remember that, meaning they can be terminated for just about anything. I do feel employees should have some type of first dibs on releases though. You work that crappy job all year long for low pay, you should at least be able to get your release held down as long as a sufficient amount are left over for regular customers. But employees doing shady stuff should be reported to corporate. If its legit shady stuff going on in a store and enough people complain and the complaints have legitimacy to them then changes are made with the staff in store. Its not uncommon for some stores to totally clean house employee wise because the entire store was doing shady stuff from the manager down to the regular employees.

Ideally. I would love to see people wisen up and stop putting these damn shoes on a pedestal though. Like I said earlier, your not always going to get what you want in life but life goes on.

At least with Apple you know more products are coming. Eventually the shelves will be full of the latest iphone, macbook, or whatever; so camping out day one is strictly your own choice. With Nike you might get a restock or 2 if you're lucky.  After that it's a wrap.

Does that stop people from robbing people for iPhones?

Why does Apple keep their products at a certain price point?

Why does Apple keep their products at a certain price point?
To maintain the perceived value of their brand and take advantage of its product's popularity.
Does that stop people from robbing people for iPhones?

Nope. Making more of something won't deter violence, but it's not Apple's fault that someone is to lazy to go get a job to buy his own phone. Apple isn't making people rob other people. That's the decision they made. Just like people make the decision to act like animals over sneakers.

Last edited:
Fail to see how this is Jordan/Nike fault. People get killed for less things on a daily basis.

I think there is a difference between people getting mugged for products because they are expensive or those people are just ****** low life scum vs causing chaos because a product has deliberately been made super limited by its manufacturer.

One situation can simply be avoided by the brand  the other is unfortunately a more difficult one to approach but is nothing to do with the brand.

Nope. Making more of something won't deter violence, but it's not Apple's fault that someone is to lazy to go get a job to buy his own phone. Apple isn't making people rob other people. That's the decision they made. Just like people make the decision to act like animals over sneakers.

So why is it Nike's?

JB needs another CDP esque period in order to restart the brand.

They need to limit retro releases to online for that brief year or two to let the hype die down a bit and make it safer for everyday consumers to purchase.

Granted this is very wishful thinking and will never happen. There is way too much money to be made right now.

Take the supply shortage away. If enough get released then all the problems won't be needed because everyone will be easily able to get theirs. Resellers wouldn't exist, bots won't be needed, shady employees won't need to be shady. I for one would love to see resellers business get shot down by adequate supplies.

I went into a local FL on Friday just gone and asked about Bred 1 release. You could see the frustration in his face as he was describing to me the amount of people asking and the fact he had such a tiny limited supply right at xmas time when they were flat out anyway. Its simply driving everyone nuts.

They could even have a backorder system. Release an amount at once then take backorders (paid up front). Might take a while for them to produce but I'd be happy with that kind of system.
That won't happen due to the fact LE is what sells so if nike jordan decides to make a certain amount of jays then that's it if what you said happened then i wouldn't have to sell shoes in order to buy shoes for resell price which is what i have to do to get shoes i like nowadays. For example i like kobe 2 preludes but now i'm selling some of my shoes in ebay in order to pay for the kobes, you don't understand some people have to resell other shoes to get the ones they want for resell price, it is fair and just evens the field. I wish your theory would happen but nope it won't.

I also wonder people are getting killed over necessary things in other places like lack of food or water. Let's put that in the news and see if we can do anything about that, oh wait shoes are a better news story than this.

So why is it Nike's?

Nike can't control how people behave when they put a product on the market. People have to realize that it's just a pair of shoes. Nike can't control if people act like savage animals on release day. It's not their fault that sneakerhead x wants 1 pair to rock, 1 pair to stock, 1 pair to trade, and 1 pair to wipe his behind with. It's not their fault that people pay an arm and a leg to resellers. At the end of the day those people made the decision to behave like they do.

Individual behavior can't be controlled. I'll admit that it's wishful thinking on my part that more pairs produced would help calm things down.

Sorry, it's not MJs job to baby sit these children. Maybe if there was any type of parenting going on at home, would help more. But it's not Jordan's responsibility to police these nut jobs. I mean, why stop there? Can we get somebody to stop all the violence that goes on during Black Friday sales? People need to be responsible for themselves.

We all play a role.

It's incorrect...and more importantly, irresponsible, to put blame solely on Nike or Michael Jordan. We are all a part of this machine that has been created.

One need not search further than Niketalk for proof.

We all play a role.

It's incorrect...and more importantly, irresponsible, to put blame solely on Nike or Michael Jordan. We are all a part of this machine that has been created.

One need not search further than Niketalk for proof.

Its been going on for years though. I know older heads remember the cool grey release in 2001.

People have been getting robbed for their Jordan's since the 80's and for other material items for ages. That falls on people and society needing to learn how to act.

Its ways to contain and control the behavior of people on release dates in store. That's a fixable problem to me.

People rob banks who want, people rob people for iPods, Jordan's, jewlery, drugs, etc. that's a problem with society and humanity. That's in no way nike or Michael Jordan's fault and its nothing they can do to fix it outside of not making retros anymore (cutting into their incoming money big time)

Nike should target areas where violence occurs.

Have an online raffle and the winners go to the store and pay for their shoes and the store ships them their shoes to their desire location.

:nerd:

I find it really interesting that back in my day (80s/90s) people were killed over Jordan shoes because they were largely unaffordable for most people, so people would get mugged for them. Today people are getting killed for Jordans because they are so hard to get and people are buying multiples or paying rape prices. Its absolutely ******g amazing circumstances really. We've become a very wealthy and spoilt society.

Nike can fix this problem but the bad publicity is actually good for their hype. They could easily produce enough to satisfy the thirst, look at the absolutely **** retro+ colourways they release that sit and sit and sit then sit again in bargain bins. Producing the numbers isn't the problem, never has been. Its Nike's lack of morals that cause them to feed the hype. They aren't responsible for people's ghetto behaviour but they are responsible for not taking action, which they can easily do, just for their marketing image.

To say none of the problem out there is Nike's fault is like saying people who sit back and watch a child drown in a pool isn't their fault. Sure they didn't push the child in the pool but it is easily within their power to resolve the problem. Its a choice Nike have deliberately made to let that child drown. They deserve some of the blame.

a well balance and philosophical argument. i agree.

Jordan is not to blame. If they sell em online they will still be violence when someone is spotted alone.

I find it really interesting that back in my day (80s/90s) people were killed over Jordan shoes because they were largely unaffordable for most people, so people would get mugged for them. Today people are getting killed for Jordans because they are so hard to get and people are buying multiples or paying rape prices. Its absolutely ******g amazing circumstances really. We've become a very wealthy and spoilt society.

Nike can fix this problem but the bad publicity is actually good for their hype. They could easily produce enough to satisfy the thirst, look at the absolutely **** retro+ colourways they release that sit and sit and sit then sit again in bargain bins. Producing the numbers isn't the problem, never has been. Its Nike's lack of morals that cause them to feed the hype. They aren't responsible for people's ghetto behaviour but they are responsible for not taking action, which they can easily do, just for their marketing image.

To say none of the problem out there is Nike's fault is like saying people who sit back and watch a child drown in a pool isn't their fault. Sure they didn't push the child in the pool but it is easily within their power to resolve the problem. Its a choice Nike have deliberately made to let that child drown. They deserve some of the blame.

a well balance and philosophical argument. i agree.

I agree. Well stated. Produce more pairs and the problems would start to go down. Comparing this to apple is not the same. If you miss the initial drop of a new apple product, more will be coming and you can then walk in easily and get one. While it's not Nike/Jordan's fault people act like animals, they can do something on their end to help the situation. Do they HAVE to do something about it? Not at all, but it would look good on their part to do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom