Can Michael Jordan help stop the violence caused by fighting over his shoes?

Well someone who lives close by in Oak Park got shot over Yeezys yesterday so I don't think it's strictly a Jordan problem.

Would be interesting if nike executed pre-order opportunities for sneakers. For example lets say the black red VI's are due to come out in august. Nike would take preorders a year in advance or something and then based on the number of orders order the appropriate amount of materials to fulfill the number of shoes. Pre-orders can be open for a whole week so everyone who wants the shoe has a chance to get the shoe.

Last edited:
Selling jb online only may means only a certain peeps will get them. Bots will buy up all the inventory...

As much as I love shoes.... I'm giving up on them.

As a consumer, it's your choice.

Don't get me wrong, *IF I can grab something I want, awesome. BUT, I def won't go out there and A. Risk my life & B. Fight to GIVE THEM MY $$.

These releases are getting so hard to come by and by that, it's kinda forcing me into retirement.

I'll still grab my roshes and others classics like shell toes or what not. That's the other thing for me, I don't care if I dirty or mess up those shoes, they're cheap and I can easily grab another pair. When my 2 yo baby spilled black beans on my Concords, how sad was it that I was pissed at him at first. I had to take a step back and remind myself that.... I love my son with my whole heart and they're just shoes!! SMH at myself.

Would be interesting if nike executed pre-order opportunities for sneakers. For example lets say the black red VI's are due to come out in august. Nike would take preorders a year in advance or something and then based on the number of orders order the appropriate amount of materials to fulfill the number of shoes. Pre-orders can be open for a whole week so everyone who wants the shoe has a chance to get the shoe.
That would be amazing

Another excellent idea

STOP RELEASING SO MANY AIR JORDAN RETRO MODELS EACH YEAR.

Simple as that. Choose one model, bastardized it by giving it 15-18 new CW's and give it 2-3 OG CW's a year. Sneaker bubble burst, those who still love air Jordan can cop all the tacky color ways they want. OG heads are happy. Nike still makes money. Simple. As. That.

STOP RELEASING SO MANY AIR JORDAN RETRO MODELS EACH YEAR.

Simple as that. Choose one model, bastardized it by giving it 15-18 new CW's and give it 2-3 OG CW's a year. Sneaker bubble burst, those who still love air Jordan can cop all the tacky color ways they want. OG heads are happy. Nike still makes money. Simple. As. That.

Na, Nike enjoys the allure of makin limited quantities. Then everyone wants them.

I read something (I think) about Louis Vuitton sends back and destroys unsold bags because they would never sell at a discount. Would rather have their client base be exclusive. They'd prefer to sell 100 bags at $1500 then 1000 bags at $150.

Last edited:
Another thing I was thinkin about. When I was younger, nikes were expensive. So not as many people bought them. You'd see a lot of people wearing Converse, Reebok, Fila.... So on and so forth. Jordan's were a driving force and was a big reason why we'd see them sit and sometime (a lot of the time) go on sale. Now that Nikes are affordable, they can now choose to make jordan brand be their exclusive brand.

Another prime example of what I'm referring to is VW & Audi... Toyota & Lexus.

They should have "the answers".
Email sent...

Recommended that both Mr. Parker and Mr. Miller keep a track on this thread and any threads regarding customer complaints...

I'm sure they'll never even look at said email but hey if you don't try then nothing will ever change...
Real talk though. I think that might be the single most important piece of information given on this board recently. If enough of us do something, we might be able to make some change.

The real question is why would he care? Idiots stab/shoot/kill each other over shoes. How is that his problem? Seriously you should bring your own knife to a campout.

Don't blame the player blame the game! People will fight over free ANYTHING,Let alone $180 :lol:  
TICKLE ME ELMO had GROWN MEN AND WOMEN fighting AND crying like children!

You guys should compare this to the medical marijuana subject..

Do you make it widely available and force the demand to drop? Keep it limited, prices skyrocket, violence ensues?

Sure if they are available everyone wouldnt be fighting but prices would drop & your grails wouldnt be worth nothing

Nike considering cuttin profit? YEA OK! :rofl: Its bouta be 2014...when Ol Man Jordan's liver gives out....300+ For Retro's in OG COLORWAYS

[COLOR=FF0000[B]]I say no more raffles...Let us duke it out, keep Retro prices right[/B]

Its easier to get a rent-a-car then a pair of shoes [/COLOR]|I  Gotta bring Birth certificate, SS card, Green card, just to get a TICKET?? PHHHSSSHHH....

this does not make one bit of sense, not only the bold part but the entire post. What does JB selling retros online have anything to do with medical grass, MJs liver giving out or renting a car. :x

Last edited:
The answer is pre orders. allow pre orders 6 months in advance of release. Only make how many were pre ordered. Instantly kills the resell game

If anything, blame the retail stores that allow this nonsense to continue to happen and outside their stores. Obviously you can't control what goes on outside the proximity of the stores, but they can control what goes on within. I can't see why they can't dish out a few thousands to ensure the safety of not only their customers, but also their employees as well. There should be no reason why there are police at these big releases shooing people away, the same people come back plus more, and then nothing is done until a riot occurs.

I remember back in 2012 for the Bred 11s, I really liked how they handled that particular release. I'm assuming that's how they handled the Gamma 11s as well. Fortunately, I didn't have to wait online because I knew the manager, but I noticed how they kept the door locked, had a big security guard right in front of the door, and next to him was an employee checking off names that won the winner circle raffle. They let two or three a time inside, locked the door, once the shoes were purchased the people had to leave the area and that was that. Whatever happened to the people afterwards was on them and not the store. Obviously no one's life should be threatened over basketball shoes and in many cases some are just innocent bystanders, but then you got the few that want to stay around showing off what they got looking for trouble.

With all of that said, I will never buy a pair of Jordans in store again. Unless of course, it's not the release day and the pair isn't still "hot." I've been successful all year online with either NDC or FNL, and I just find it an easier and safer alternative for me personally.

Still, it's really unfortunate that this is what buying sneakers has come down to.

The answer is pre orders. allow pre orders 6 months in advance of release. Only make how many were pre ordered. Instantly kills the resell game
Then resellers will be the ones pre ordering at 40 stores different stores. Resellers grabbing the preorders, raffles for preorders, etc. It really just pushes the whole process back 6 months.

^but the resellers would have less of a market if they produce to the number of pre-orders.

^Ohh i see. I didnt catch that part. No way in hell is Nike giving up their quickstrike marketing scheme. Even on these GRs that many people end up missing out on.

I find it really interesting that back in my day (80s/90s) people were killed over Jordan shoes because they were largely unaffordable for most people, so people would get mugged for them. Today people are getting killed for Jordans because they are so hard to get and people are buying multiples or paying rape prices. Its absolutely ******g amazing circumstances really. We've become a very wealthy and spoilt society.

Nike can fix this problem but the bad publicity is actually good for their hype. They could easily produce enough to satisfy the thirst, look at the absolutely **** retro+ colourways they release that sit and sit and sit then sit again in bargain bins. Producing the numbers isn't the problem, never has been. Its Nike's lack of morals that cause them to feed the hype. They aren't responsible for people's ghetto behaviour but they are responsible for not taking action, which they can easily do, just for their marketing image.

To say none of the problem out there is Nike's fault is like saying people who sit back and watch a child drown in a pool isn't their fault. Sure they didn't push the child in the pool but it is easily within their power to resolve the problem. Its a choice Nike have deliberately made to let that child drown. They deserve some of the blame.

The shoes are still unaffordable to the majority of people. But I agree that Nike encourages the so-called bad publicity. Companies have to spend millions of dollars for advertising and with the news reports about people getting killed over sneakers they are getting a very effective form of advertising for free.

Then resellers will be the ones pre ordering at 40 stores different stores. Resellers grabbing the preorders, raffles for preorders, etc. It really just pushes the whole process back 6 months.
^but the resellers would have less of a market if they produce to the number of pre-orders.
^Ohh i see. I didnt catch that part. No way in hell is Nike giving up their quickstrike marketing scheme. Even on these GRs that many people end up missing out on.
Do one per customer, and make sure that the size the preorder is the size they wear, make em take off their shoes they have on, 

Do one per customer, and make sure that the size the preorder is the size they wear, make em take off their shoes they have on, 

What if parent is buyin shoes for kids? this doesn't make sense.

I really like the idea of preorders in advance (and maybe still make more for people who missed it), can anyone think of any cons to this theory?

hell, the pre-orders can be done directly with nike/jb. cutting out the retailer for half the release would make them a butttload more profit.

Pre-Orders are the only idea I've ever heard proposed that would make any sense...

As far as the topic at hand is concerned...Old video but very much in relation to the thread...

Whether Tinker is speaking on behalf of Nike or just himself I don't know but I do think this can kind of reflects Nikes position on the problem...It's the peoples fault for acting in that manner...This to me clearly shows what I outlined earlier that Nike hasn't, and presumably won't, ever do anything proactive to curb this problem since they very clearly don't perceive it as being their problem...As I wrote out before their response to this has been one of reaction rather than one of preventive action...

Does the pre-order idea sound like a solid solution? Sure does...Nike won't use it though...Like I said in my first post, they fell into this business model back around the turn of the century and it's done nothing but increase profits over the past decade+...No reason for any of us to believe that they will willing change their operations at this point...

Again Nike acts in a reactive manner and not a preventive one...It took a few users on a message board a grand total 75 posts to come up with a legitimate solution (Pre-Orders) but Nike couldn't have figured something like this out over the course of several years?...

To go back to the original topic of the thread...Nobody, Michael Jordan, or anybody else for that matter, could make Nike change their approach to the problem since they obviously don't perceive it to be their problem at all...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom