*......Canada prepares to cull 275,000 baby seals.....* (good read)

[h1]Stop the seal culling..[/h1]

As Canada prepares to cull 275,000 of the baby seals living off its shores by clubbing them to death or shooting them for their fur, we look into why this barbaric practice must end.

[table][tr][td]
34FDAD3C9F241D5EBFF092BED1FDF3.jpg

[/td] [/tr][/table]

Hundreds of thousands of baby seals will be clubbed to death over the coming days by fishermen as part of Canada's controversial annual seal hunt.

The seals are born in March and for the first few weeks of their lives they are nurtured by their mothers. But at just 12 days old, when their white coats change colour, it is no longer against the law to hunt them. Only in Russia can 'whitecoat' seals still be culled.

Last year, 98.5 per cent of the 224,000 pups killed off of Canada's shores were under three months old. "They are very much like human babies - they cry and call for their mum the same way," said one anti-culling protestor.

Yet as soon as the winter ice floes have broken up sufficiently to allow fishing boats to reach the seals, the hunting begins. And this year, the culling limit has been set to 275,000. The Canadian Government says it will not threaten the population of up to six million seals, arguing that sealing is an important part of the local economy.

Few Canadians make a living from hunting seals, however. Sealers are fishermen by trade who make a small amount of additional income for a few weeks a year from the slaughter. In fact, the majority of Canadians themselves are against the hunt, with 72 per cent supporting regulations to ban the hunting of seal pups.

[table][tr][td]
3FDE542A35D4AB5B3E68946C8E2F4A.jpg

[/td] [/tr][/table]

Contrary to popular belief, the native Inuit communities who use seals for their meat and oil only use a tiny fraction of the seal population. For the mass culling that takes place around the world, there is little commercial use for the rest of the seal, so many carcasses are simply discarded on the ice after they have been skinned. Only the seal fur is needed for use in the fashion industry, with each pelt fetching around £25 to £40($50-$80). Hunters can expect to make £2,000($4000) each in a few days.

Over in Europe, only a handful of EU states have fully outlawed the trade in seal products, and the UK is not one of them. Belgium, Holland, Italy and Germany have all introduced legislation to ban seal products. But while the British Government objects to the hunt, it has not taken similar action, as it believes the EU is close to introducing the import ban.

Still, with ports such as Rotterdam and Hamburg now closed to Canadian exporters, animal welfare groups believe there will be an increase in products sent to British ports unless a ban is implemented.

Welfare groups claim that if the EU was to forbid producers of seal products from trading within European borders, the effects would instantly be felt. In 2006, 32 per cent of Canadian seal fur exports went to the EU. If this practice was banned, Canada would no longer be able to use these European ports to access major markets in China and Russia.

[table][tr][td]
9A988F8A84EC18933BB7E76FCAB12.jpg

[/td] [/tr][/table]

UK Director of the International Fund for Animal Welfare, Robbie Marsland, will be in Canada again this year to witness what is now the biggest marine mammal hunt in the world.

He told Sky News, "I've stood on the ice and witnessed for myself the suffering as thousands of seals, mostly pups under three months of age, are clubbed or shot and skinned, often while still alive, so their fur can be used to make luxury fashion items that nobody really needs.

"Given the nature of the hunt - taking place in a large area over a short space of time - it is very difficult to regulate, and every year we see many seals clubbed but not fatally wounded before being skinned. Others are shot and injured before being either hooked and dragged aboard a boat or slipping beneath the surface of the water to suffer a slow death from drowning."

There are also fears that the huge quotas set by the Canadian government each year could have serious consequences for the future of the harp seal population. With 98% of the seals killed being young pups which will never have the chance to reproduce, scientists predict that annual hunts at this level could reduce the population by 70% in the next 15 years.

"IFAW is working to secure bans on the trade in seal products in European countries to reduce the market for seal products and to send a message to Canada that we want no further part in this cruelty. It is time for this senseless slaughter to end," added Mr Marsland.

[table][tr][td]
3D8B7A26716FCA213FC4233ECD25.jpg

[/td] [/tr][/table]

The Canadian culling comes just weeks after a cull of 35,000 baby seals in Russia was called off. In the Archangel region of northern Russia, the slaughter of thousands of seals was halted amid protests by celebrities and environmental groups, and calls for hunting to be outlawed.

Officials insisted the cull was cancelled to protect the hunters, not the seals, because ice sheets close to the White Sea were too thin to walk on. The decision, however, came at a time of heightened protests by animal rights groups. Russian television broadcast a demonstration in Archangel by a group of celebrities and prominent journalists against the practice, and 335,000 people had also signed a petition against the hunting of baby seals.

When the Governor of Archangel announced it wanted to end the cull for humanitarian reasons, the response was anger from local villagers, who claimed that the trade was vital to their survival. Fur coats remain de rigueur for most Russian women and there is no stigma attached to wearing one.

SMH at us, britain not banning seal products
indifferent.gif

when i read the title i was like, what the hell does cull mean? read the article, that's crazy,
smh.gif
at dude in the picture. i would be a hypocrite to pass judgment though because i useanimal products.

nerd.gif
waits for processofbelief to show up and comment on his mother canada
laugh.gif

Yeah, I hate this too....but it doesn't look like it is going to stop anytime soon.

People are always saying something about some animals.............Soo what if its for fur, we kill millions of cows, and BILLIONS of chickens per year, i dontsee anyone trying to save them either.

I dont see what the big deal is, as long as they arent an endangered species, its fine.

If some arent killed every year, there would probably be too many of them anyway. Its what makes the world go round.

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

eh. i dont really care. as long as they dont go extinct. animals dont have feelings.
you're an idiot.
Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

People are always saying something about some animals.............Soo what if its for fur, we kill millions of cows, and BILLIONS of chickens per year, i dont see anyone trying to save them either.

I dont see what the big deal is, as long as they arent an endangered species, its fine.

If some arent killed every year, there would probably be too many of them anyway. Its what makes the world go round.
and so are you

~BOOM HEADSHOT~ GO CANADA!!

...but really.. I dont care either way, baby seals are not very high on my list of priorities. and im sure it gives people jobs and money etc.

Originally Posted by CWrite78

eh. i dont really care. as long as they dont go extinct. animals dont have feelings.
you're an idiot.

People are always saying something about some animals.............Soo what if its for fur, we kill millions of cows, and BILLIONS of chickens per year, i dont see anyone trying to save them either.

and so are you

QFT

you're an idiot.

and so are you

Wow, how do you get off saying people are idiots without even substantiating your claim. I kinda agree with the second dude tho, we kill tons of chickens,cows, and pigs and EAT them. How are these seals any different? why is there existence so much more important that people are protesting and stuff??

Originally Posted by Cz7

you're an idiot.

and so are you

Wow, how do you get off saying people are idiots without even substantiating your claim. I kinda agree with the second dude tho, we kill tons of chickens, cows, and pigs and EAT them. How are these seals any different? why is there existence so much more important that people are protesting and stuff??
animal's dont have feelings so it's okay to kill them? c'mon, nobody with a damn brain actually believes that right? And yes, we killchickens, cows, pigs.. to eat. They actually bring something to the table. Seals are killed for FASHION. Did you read the article? It says the rest is usuallyleft on the ice. That's such a BS excuse to kill an animal. I can understand over population, but for a ##@$%#% fur coat some idiot can wear? C'monbuddy.
Also, they are CLUBBING THEM, not even shooting. They hit them in a different spot and the animal is suffering before they finally die, hell atleast one shotto the head and it's game over for the poor thing.

JDocs, thanks. Rage is
pimp.gif

Alright, I feel you on the inhumane argument , that's illegitimate.

Canada FTW!

Ok, It's terrible, but there is reasoning behind it. They have very few natural predators now, with the polar bear population at dangerously lowlevels...if not culled, they would overrun the North.

Originally Posted by Cz7

you're an idiot.

and so are you

Wow, how do you get off saying people are idiots without even substantiating your claim. I kinda agree with the second dude tho, we kill tons of chickens, cows, and pigs and EAT them. How are these seals any different? why is there existence so much more important that people are protesting and stuff??
Because these seals are living in the normal habitats and we are going out to kill them. It's different when a farmer breeds his own chickens (notsure if breed is the right word) but it's another thing to kill an animal living in it's natural habitat. And whoever said that the beating to death ofseals for fashion is "what makes the world goes around," is ignorant at best.

^^I've always understood that seal hunting in Canada is done to protect our ecosystem. If the species, in this case seals, became too abundant, they wouldaffect the fish catch, since polar bears aren't in abundance to reduce the seals numbers, thus stabilize the ecosystem. Sure it's barbaric. But ifyou're an eskimo and your livelihood was dependent on ol' school hunting and gathering, what choice do you have? You could sniff glue from a paperbag...

Peace
F Sharp005

Originally Posted by Cz7

you're an idiot.

and so are you

animal's dont have feelings so it's okay to kill them? c'mon, nobody with a damn brain actually believes that right? And yes, we kill chickens, cows, pigs.. to eat. They actually bring something to the table. Seals are killed for FASHION. Did you read the article? It says the rest is usually left on the ice. That's such a BS excuse to kill an animal. I can understand over population, but for a ##@$%#% fur coat some idiot can wear? C'mon buddy.
Also, they are CLUBBING THEM, not even shooting. They hit them in a different spot and the animal is suffering before they finally die, hell atleast one shot to the head and it's game over for the poor thing.

JDocs, thanks. Rage is
pimp.gif

eyes.gif
like the people who are eating the majority of the chickens, cows,and pigs in North America would starve without them. To me it's the same thing as making the argument that fashionable clothing is just meant to keep uswarm. I don't really agree or disagree with the whole issue, I just don't give of +%!! because there's more important @%#$ for me to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom