Canon or Nikon?

As you can see OP, you're going to get a lot of mixed responses. I recommend to you try out both cameras and see how they feel. Like someone people alreadyhave said, it comes down to personal preference most of the time.

Nikon to start, canon later. I've got a d90 right now and love it, but I eventually want to move up to a markII in a couple years.

honestly i love both companies i think its a personal pref. cannon lens are more interchangable but nikon is alot more smoother to navigate (imo) so its whatyou want really

Originally Posted by TmAk15

Nikon to start, canon later. I've got a d90 right now and love it, but I eventually want to move up to a markII in a couple years.

why would you want to start on one brand only to switch in the future? seems like a waste of money and time to me. having to sell all your gear and learn a newsystem seems like a side step vs. a step forward...but that's just me

i personally have an xsi and i love it. the biggest determining factor was that my friends all shot canon and therefore i had access to more lenses/equipment.i would suggest trying out both of em before making a decision to see which one feels best to you

blah!

I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

*mass kudos*
laugh.gif

I went to a few big stores today and the associates aren't exactly the most helpful but I'm leaning towards a Canon right now. Too bad that bundle onSlickdeals.net expired, but I will most likely get a camera + 2 lens bundle from somewhere.

I was going to roll with the Canon, but Nikon makes good products as well... I guess whichever one has the best deal at the time!

My college professor ask students to only use canon camera's in Photography I + II.

I don't know if that means anything to you.

Nikon makes very expensive lens. Its not a cheap alternative if anyone is thinking that.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Sorry, I misread the Max ISO on the page. It says Max ISO with best quality.
That comparison is fairly unfair because entry-level cameras are being compared with mid-level ones.

I'm also fairly shocked that so many of you Nikon-supporters are recommending the D90 as a starting DSLR.

I remember wanting a DSLR this past holiday season and thinking the D5000 was the best entry level camera in my eyes, I don't really know how I came tothat conclusion at this point though.

I see I'm gonna be calling on NT for a lot more help when I actually do end up buying my camera, still working on the funding right now though.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

That comparison is fairly unfair because entry-level cameras are being compared with mid-level ones.

I'm also fairly shocked that so many of you Nikon-supporters are recommending the D90 as a starting DSLR.

I used to own a Nikon D40 and the main reason why I would recommend the D90 over the D40(x), D60, D5000, D3000 is that it comes with a AF servo. A D5000 withthe kit lens will be around $600-$700, but you can now find a D90 body for around around the price (probably closer to $800), but if you believe that you willbe in it for the long haul, IMO going for the bigger and better camera would be a smarter choice. Personally I'm not a big fan of the kit lens and Ialways suggest to buy the body and buy a 17-50mm f/2.8. I know this investment will be well over $1200 but its worth it.

As for the price of the lenses, the only lens that matters Canon wise are the L lenses and those aren't cheap as well. But Nikon lenses are justridiculously expensive...that's the reason I went 3rd party on most of lenses. Tokina, Sigma, and Tamron FTW.
tongue.gif

^ Look at his original post. With his budget he can only afford an XSi or XS. Also, all Canon cameras including the entry-level ones have AI Servo. You have torealize that this is going to be his first SLR appears to be new to photography. Features such as servo, fixed aperture lenses and a bigger body should not bea concern for him. Also, I disagree with L lenses being the only ones that matter for Canon. The EF-S 17-55, 50 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 are all excellent non-Llenses. I don't mean to keep disagreeing with people in this thread but people really need to realize that he's looking for any entry-level camera andshould not be recommending cameras besides the D40, D40x, D5000, XS, XSi and T1i.

its a personal preference.

either way the technology is relatively the same for lower end DSLRs.

its what you feel most comfortable with. specifically where the "controls" are. best way is to go to a store and try the two you want. or you caneven rent them.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

Look at his original post. With his budget he can only afford an XSi or XS. Also, all Canon cameras including the entry-level ones have AI Servo. You have to realize that this is going to be his first SLR appears to be new to photography. Features such as servo, fixed aperture lenses and a bigger body should not be a concern for him. Also, I disagree with L lenses being the only ones that matter for Canon. The EF-S 17-55, 50 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 are all excellent non-L lenses. I don't mean to keep disagreeing with people in this thread but people really need to realize that he's looking for any entry-level camera and should not be recommending cameras besides the D40, D40x, D5000, XS, XSi and T1i.

IMO i would go with canon. I would also check around on craigslist for an older body (ie. XTi, XT, Xsi), and with the money you save you can get an extralens/speedlite/etc.

Back
Top Bottom