Car insurance help!

Hey guys, my sister got in an accident yesterday. Its a one lane street and apparently the guy left his girlfriend house and accidentally ran into my sisters car. My sister got his name, phone number and made an agreement sign on paper that he will cover the damage as long as we do not report his insurance. Being a nice person she agreed to do it because his license was suspended. She did not take pictures or get his insurance which is a big mistake. At the time it was just two of them that was involved and no one was there to witness the scene. He called earlier today that he knows a body shop that we can go get our car fix. Right now we are worried that he will not stand by his words. What options do I have now to make sure my sister car will get repaired at his expense. I think maybe we can find his insurance online.

The signed paper might be enough for small claims court. Call your insurance company and just ask them these questions, they should tell you what you'll need for them to go after him if he flakes

That paper will not hold up. He's screwed. Get your insurance company involved, although she already goofed by not doing that in the first place.

Me, I would have just told him he had 24 hours to cough up the dough OR I would be calling his insurance company, but it's too late for that because you didn't get his info. Oh well.

View media item 305353

I am pretty sure theres a way to find his info online somewhere if i have his name, phone number and possible the type of car he has.

Good luck.

If you don't have his license number or insurance company, you'll be looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe you can trust a stranger though. We'll see.

I mean his girlfriend lives down the street from my sister house..but now that i think of it. i dont think she has his license plate number. i was wondering why it would be too late to report an accident? and how much would that effect the case. Btw thanks for answering some of my questions.

Because in some states a police report is needed and proof that the damage happened due to the accident. It could be a her word verses his situation at worse.

Not saying you're lying, but whose to say she didn't damage the vehicle due to her negligence or was at fault now? Now the burden of proof may fall on you.

Last edited:
Just go to the repair shop and get the estimate and ask for the cash before the repairs.

That paper will not hold up. He's screwed. Get your insurance company involved, although she already goofed by not doing that in the first place.

Me, I would have just told him he had 24 hours to cough up the dough OR I would be calling his insurance company, but it's too late for that because you didn't get his info. Oh well.
Call your insurance company. 

so you didnt even get his license plate number? If he doesnt stand by his word what are you gonna do? What is the purpose of your sister paying insurance if she's not gonna use it?

Back
Top Bottom