Christopher Nolans INTERSTELLAR (Nov 7, 2014) - Run Time = 2hrs 49mins

Wow IMAX 70mm is definately how this movie should be watched. The movie was great and i'm not sure what all these critics have problems with tbh.

If i had to nitpick ...

i could not hear anything Michael Caine was saying on his deathbed and some of the dialogue was a tad bit hammy at points

Just got back...

The ending was AWFUL. There were like 3 huge plot holes that virtually ruined the movie.

really sad to see Nolan putting no effort and thought into the last 30 minutes...

71% on RT is fairly accurate, i give it 75%.

it does have Excellent visuals, special FX's, sound effects/track., it's worth 70MM IMAX.

Last edited:
Just saw it at Grauman's Chinese Theater; definitely worth the admission for IMAX 70mm

Wormholes, black holes, extra dimensions, I love it all

Last edited:
Just got back...

The ending was AWFUL. There were like 3 huge plot holes that virtually ruined the movie.
THIS

Just got back and I felt the first 1/3rd of the movie was sooooo good. Honestly up until when they visited the first planet and ended up costing them 20 odd years, **** got real after that. They should have built on that. The struggle of time with your kids aging :smokin

2nd planet sequence was okay, I could have done without the long "Don't dock the ship" segment.

The movie gradually got worse as it went on though. The last part was awful. :smh:

Last edited:
I usually hate most movie endings. But I liked this one.

I thought it wrapped everything up pretty well. A lot of stuf, when it happened I was like wow this is nonsense.....but then an explanation came so I was like aiight.

My only thing that has me bugging, without spoilers, there is a character that survived that CLEARLY should have died lol. I understand th explanation, but fudge that!! That character must a secretly had all the Infinity Gems or all 7 dragon balls or something

The movie had its ups and downs, but overall it was solid.

There are some moments where the acting, editing, and score all come together masterfully - when Matt leaves, when Matt sees the tapes of his kids and how the music drops out before his daughter appears, his end conversation, and a few others I'm forgetting.

There were some clunky moments around the third act. I thought the "explain it all" scene wasn't that great, the dialogue was overloaded and the visual aspect was kinda corny.

One of my favorite things about Nolan's movies is the notes that he ends his movies on. It felt like this one was trying to do the same and was shooting for it the entire movie, but fell a little short. It was getting in the territory of feeling forced, but it wasn't bad. It just could've been better if it was more focused or something.

Overall, there was a great sense of wonder, TARS was great, and they did a great job with all the "science talk" (for lack of a better word) without making it seem like blabber to the general audience.

Last edited:
Movie of the year for me.

The emotional weight of the story made the movie really connected with me and the MIND = BLOWN moments within the Black Hole.

Bruhs, I had the feels when he saw Murph again in the end of the movie.

I am still trying to figure out if I liked this movie or am disappointed in it.

I feel MM had to carry this movie with his great acting ability and the writing was a bit B grade for someone of Nolan's standards; I am as far from a Nolan fanboy as they come but I can be honest with my movie reviews.

Right now I think the movie was solid but far from great although I would give MM major props for his character of Cooper.

Rather than amending my review, I'm just going to post this video from Mark Kermode of the BBC. I agree with 99% of this thoughts. Especially with the fact that Interstellar was not as good as Inception, The Prestige and Batman Begins.

Inception is my favorite movie (not favorite Nolan film, just plain favorite) and I can't see Interstellar surpassing that, but after only one viewing I can't really say that it's not as good as the other two. After a few more watches I'll be able to better gauge it.

Nolan films ranked imo

TDK
Inception
The Prestige
BB
Memento
TDKR
Interstellar (as of right now, I might appreciate the film more in the future)
Insomnia
Following
Following all the way down there? I love that movie, definitely have it top 5 out of all the Nolan flicks :pimp:.

Last edited:
Ol' black dude waited for them for 23 years though?
Maaaaaan.

Matt Damon. Douche.

4/5.

The emotional weight of the story made the movie really connected with me and the MIND = BLOWN moments within the Black Hole.

Bruhs, I had the feels when he saw Murph again in the end of the movie.

As with most Nolan films, it ran a tad long. Definitely had the audience intrigued the whole time though. Almost no one even got up during the movie.

Must see again.

Following all the way down there? I love that movie, definitely have it top 5 out of all the Nolan flicks :pimp:.

I based my ranking on how the film just got me emotionally hyped after and wanting to see it again and again. Not at all saying Following was a bad film becuase it is far from that.

Last edited:
Saw it in IMAX last night. I loved it. I thought the love transcends all stuff what cheesy initially. But man, I was getting a little choked up in the end. Had to keep those man tears at bay. My friends and I all felt that the movie could have gone for at least another thirty minutes with absolutely zero complaints.

The movie had its ups and downs, but overall it was solid.

There are some moments where the acting, editing, and score all come together masterfully - when Matt leaves, when Matt sees the tapes of his kids and how the music drops out before his daughter appears, his end conversation, and a few others I'm forgetting.

There were some clunky moments around the third act. I thought the "explain it all" scene wasn't that great, the dialogue was overloaded and the visual aspect was kinda corny.

One of my favorite things about Nolan's movies is the notes that he ends his movies on. It felt like this one was trying to do the same and was shooting for it the entire movie, but fell a little short. It was getting in the territory of feeling forced, but it wasn't bad. It just could've been better if it was more focused or something.

Overall, there was a great sense of wonder, TARS was great, and they did a great job with all the "science talk" (for lack of a better word) without making it seem like blabber to the general audience.
i thought nolan's literal interpretations were interesting

like when he was watching the vids from earth and seeing his kids age, since the space craft was spinning the light from the nearest star would flash by every few seconds. it was like life was literally flashing before his eyes

and at first i wasnt a fan of the visual aspect of the third act but after going along with the whole "they build this for him so he could understand/see gravity" i thought it was pretty cool that he literally used a bunch of strings to visualize string theory

i hated that matt damon was in this movie, as soon as i saw him i knew he would end up being a **** because well.. he's matt damon 
laugh.gif

but to add to that, his character and arc brought nothing at all to the movie, i understand the whole metaphor of a character named "mann" almost dooming the entire human race but a movie with this scope really doesnt need a throw in antagonist. it was perfectly fine with michael cane being the surprise antagonist and even then you understood the reasoning behind his decision. 

the ending was really flat, after all that build up and emotion throughout the movie to go back to see his family he talks to murph for 20 seconds and ignores his 6 grand kids and 10 greatgrand kids standing in the room looking at him. he doesnt care at all about his family other than murph and they dont seem to care about him. it also made no sense that time grows exponentially depending on how close you are to the black hole, when they were on the very edges of the black hole it slowed time down so much that 1 hour = 7 years. but after spending hours in the middle of the black hole only resulted in like a 80 year jump? after all that plot convenience they dont even set up a meaningful encounter with murph

overall if there was no matt damon and the ending was either cut out entirely or if they would have redone it with him finding out that he was 1k years into the future and being told about how murph saved the human race but since there was nothing left for him in this future world he sets off to finally smash anne hathaway and repopulate the new planet 

People really need to stop caring so damn much about how this ranks in his filmography. This ***** been out for 5 days. We've had years to really digest his other films.

i thought nolan's literal interpretations were interesting

like when he was watching the vids from earth and seeing his kids age, since the space craft was spinning the light from the nearest star would flash by every few seconds. it was like life was literally flashing before his eyes

and at first i wasnt a fan of the visual aspect of the third act but after going along with the whole "they build this for him so he could understand/see gravity" i thought it was pretty cool that he literally used a bunch of strings to visualize string theory

i hated that matt damon was in this movie, as soon as i saw him i knew he would end up being a **** because well.. he's matt damon :lol:

but to add to that, his character and arc brought nothing at all to the movie, i understand the whole metaphor of a character named "mann" almost dooming the entire human race but a movie with this scope really doesnt need a throw in antagonist. it was perfectly fine with michael cane being the surprise antagonist and even then you understood the reasoning behind his decision. 

the ending was really flat, after all that build up and emotion throughout the movie to go back to see his family he talks to murph for 20 seconds and ignores his 6 grand kids and 10 greatgrand kids standing in the room looking at him. he doesnt care at all about his family other than murph and they dont seem to care about him. it also made no sense that time grows exponentially depending on how close you are to the black hole, when they were on the very edges of the black hole it slowed time down so much that 1 hour = 7 years. but after spending hours in the middle of the black hole only resulted in like a 80 year jump? after all that plot convenience they dont even set up a meaningful encounter with murph

overall if there was no matt damon and the ending was either cut out entirely or if they would have redone it with him finding out that he was 1k years into the future and being told about how murph saved the human race but since there was nothing left for him in this future world he sets off to finally smash anne hathaway and repopulate the new planet 

Ya I truly didn't understand how the 1 hour = 7 years. Seemed like inception too much.

Lol that last paragraph was so true and funny

I felt that way too. They used him for a few important things (to emphasize Caine's decision and the reveal, and also to set up the climax) but his character still felt like an unnecessary subplot more than anything.

It felt like they knew the audience would want to see the characters meet one of the OG explorers, so they threw one in but didn't totally flesh it out. They just got a big name and were satisfied.

The scene where Damon talks as he's walking away from Cooper was just weird too... like it was supposed to make us sympathetic for him, which was a near impossible thing to do given how little we've seen him in the movie.

Watched it for the 2nd time in 3 days last night.
Didnt mind, watched for free the first time.

It was better the 2nd time around.
The space visuals though. Astounding.
There was some applause with Matt Damon's final scene. Thats what ya get. Beantown.

And agree, still early to rank it into Nolan's filmography. Inception is still better to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom