CHROMECAST or RASPBERRY PI

WDTV plays everything natively no conversion necessary.

I have a pi collecting dust. Its slow and has issues with certain formats.
i thought this thread is about streaming? wdtv vs gbox ....no contest.  we can compare streams (livetv, movies, tv), see which is better.

it has to be the processor or some services that is running on your macbook taking up some resources.  i haven't had any lag after watching 720p vids via xbmc.  TIP of the day....please please please....download SHOWBOX and VideoMix for your android box.  mind blown.
I thought that too. I checked the CPU load and it was under 50%. I hope it was just a problem with my internet connection or something. I have a 30mbps connection so that should be enough, especially if it's already buffered. 

As far as the app recommendations, the Fusion Hub install for XBMC provided everything you need to replace cable.

I thought that too. I checked the CPU load and it was under 50%. I hope it was just a problem with my internet connection or something. I have a 30mbps connection so that should be enough, especially if it's already buffered. 

As far as the app recommendations, the Fusion Hub install for XBMC provided everything you need to replace cable.
Have you tried clearing out the cache on xbmc?? 

if you have Comcast you don't need the Chromecast.  Check this before you buy...

messing around on my tv tonight and found that Comcast added a new feature called "Send To TV"

it basically does the same thing the Chromecast does. Broadcast anything from your computer, phone, etc without having to hookup you laptop to the tv

to your tv.  It gives you the same youtube app as the PS3. There are a couple other sites that are optimized for it too

gonna tinker with it some more tomorrow.
Naw the thing is you have to have a wifi tv  or else it will not work, that is where chromecast come in to play it is for non wifi tv's

Last edited:
Ill just leave this here...

(Someone tell me if this is an issue and Ill delete it promptly."

if you have Comcast you don't need the Chromecast.  Check this before you buy...

messing around on my tv tonight and found that Comcast added a new feature called "Send To TV"

it basically does the same thing the Chromecast does. Broadcast anything from your computer, phone, etc without having to hookup you laptop to the tv

to your tv.  It gives you the same youtube app as the PS3. There are a couple other sites that are optimized for it too

gonna tinker with it some more tomorrow.
Naw the thing is you have to have a wifi tv  or else it will not work, that is where chromecast come in to play it is for non wifi tv's
it works fine for me (though I rarely use it now) and I don't have an internet connected tv, I have the newer comcast X1 boxes that are wifi

I can broadcast pages just by clicking that tab and choosing which of my boxes I want to send it to

Last edited:

Have you tried clearing out the cache on xbmc?? 
Yea. It works fine after that. I thought the unlimited cache mod made it so you didn't have to clear the cache? I tried Ouya with XBMC but had the same situation, thats why I think it may be my Internet Service Provider causing the issue. I may just grab a G-Box Midnight MX2... Unless there is a new product coming out soon with better specs.

Last edited:
Today is the first time I've heard of Gbox. Within the next few months ill be cutting the cord and need a great device for streaming etc.

Should I go with this? I NEED to be able to stream and/or access flash based websites.

Can I "beam" video files from my pc to the Gbox?

I kinda know a bit about the other stuff, the apps etc that it uses.

Thanks.

Today is the first time I've heard of Gbox. Within the next few months ill be cutting the cord and need a great device for streaming etc.

Should I go with this? I NEED to be able to stream and/or access flash based websites.

Can I "beam" video files from my pc to the Gbox?

I kinda know a bit about the other stuff, the apps etc that it uses.

Thanks.
If you get the right repos and apps, you can cut the cord no doubt.  With XBMC + NAVI-X, you can watch live streaming cable channels!  You can airplay a tablet or phone running xbmc onto your android xbmc, so YES you can push everything from table,pc, phone with no restrictions.

If you get the right repos and apps, you can cut the cord no doubt.  With XBMC + NAVI-X, you can watch live streaming cable channels!  You can airplay a tablet or phone running xbmc onto your android xbmc, so YES you can push everything from table,pc, phone with no restrictions.

nice. I know i can cut the cord just by my lifestyle. I'm not home a lot. I just want the absolute best system for doing it.

I was thinking of modding one of my old tower pc's into an all in one, but for $100 bucks why not just buy the Gbox. I also want ease of use and this looks like it can.

The only thing I'm concerned with is audio out. I want to use either my surround sound, or sound bar. BOTH have optical ins and aux ins.

This doesn't look like it has an optical out. Researching now for that :lol:

well it looks like theres adapters for optical to spdif audio inputs. I shoulda known. :lol:

Looks like Gbox Midnight 2 for me. Thanks!

nice. I know i can cut the cord just by my lifestyle. I'm not home a lot. I just want the absolute best system for doing it.

I was thinking of modding one of my old tower pc's into an all in one, but for $100 bucks why not just buy the Gbox. I also want ease of use and this looks like it can.

The only thing I'm concerned with is audio out. I want to use either my surround sound, or sound bar. BOTH have optical ins and aux ins.

This doesn't look like it has an optical out. Researching now for that
laugh.gif
I hear ya man. This box is insane bro, just make sure to youtube all your questions.  The answers are all there.  You can go to the matricom.com forums for support as well.  My current setup is GBOX--->HDMI--->ONKYO Receiver--->HDMI OUT---> SONY 52 LED.  Vids and Audio is awesome!!  Also, I can stress this enough....since you are going to be streaming, you will need a FAST internet connection.  The support forums recommend atleast 5mb down, but I'd say 10mb+ and you're golden. Good luck man....keep us updated in this thread, and let me know if you have any questions.

Probably a silly question that's been answered already, but does the chromecast come with a built in Netflix app?

If not, how does this work in regards to watching netflix?

I saw it today at walmart and contemplated buying it. Netflix would be the only thing I use it for though. Enlighten me, bros.

Last edited:
Probably a silly question that's been answered already, but does the chromecast come with a built in Netflix app?

If not, how does this work in regards to watching netflix?

I saw it today at walmart and contemplated buying it. Netflix would be the only thing I use it for though. Enlighten me, bros.
Its not preloaded. You just sign in netflix.com. Pic a video. Before it plays, it'll ask you to chromecast it or you can just hit the chromecast button, and boom.

All you have to do is set up your Chromecast on your wifi network, then through your computer or smartphone on the same network just log on Netflix and find whatever video you went and there will be an option to send it to the Chromecast. That's it. Your phone and/or computer is your remote control and interface.

i love when watching sports, and theres a chromecast icon on on the player..its like christmas day...only thing my internet kind of sucks so sometimes it lags

Chromecast x SB has changed my life.
SB?

i would guess that its showbox

how do you cast it to your tv? do you screen mirror your phone/tablet? or use a video app to cast it? if you do, which app? i skimmed through this thread...seen avia thrown around...but is there something free? i have an s4 and screen mirror sometimes, but then it makes my phone unusable and doesnt feel as clean. i use videostream for files on a pc though. happy with it, except for my internet lagging.

Back
Top Bottom