Cleveland Cavs Season Thread- No Market Incentives in new LBJ/Nike Deal...pg.27

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers guard Delonte West, facing gun possessioncharges, is expected to report to Cleveland's training camp Monday.

West was arrested on Sept. 17 after police said he was carrying twoconcealed handguns and a shotgun when he was pulled over on athree-wheel motorcycle near his Maryland home. Carrying an unlicensedhandgun is a misdemeanor in that state.

The Cavaliers have had little to say about West since his arrest, butgeneral manager Danny Ferry confirmed Sunday that West will be at campon time.

West suffers from a bipolar disorder. He was excused from camp for several weeks last year to get treatment for depression.

He faces a likely suspension from the NBA, but commissioner David Sternwill not likely hand one down until the criminal case against West isresolved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4509928

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4509928
Remember Color Settings?

Yes No

Gradient Format:

Full Text Per Line

Prefix Text:

Suffix Text:

Live stream of media day today from 1:30-2pm

http://www.cleveland.com/...edia_day_-_live_str.html

Will Shaq's starpower brighten Cleveland Cavaliers' title plans? Or overload the system?
By Brian Windhorst
September 26, 2009, 6:09PM

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- As Cavaliers fans are about to find out, everything Shaquille O'Neal does is big.

What the team is specifically concerned about is the size of hisimpact, both positive and negative. Though the Cavs sold the trade toget O'Neal as a low-risk, high-reward deal, there is indeed some risk.And certainly the potential of supreme reward.

Here is a look at both as the Cavs are set to begin training camp on Monday.

The potential rewards:

• A true low-post presence.

O'Neal is one of the best centers in NBA history and also one of thegame's most efficient scorers. He has a career shooting percentage of58 percent and was better than 60 percent last season with the Suns.

Offense in general operates much better when plays can develop frominside out. Over the last several years, Cavs coach Mike Brown has beenencouraging a drive-and-kick offensive system to mimic this actionbecause the team didn't have a good low-post option. O'Neal will have amassive size advantage on most opponents and if he scores at his usualclip, then teams will have to either double team or help on him, whichshould open up shots for everyone. It has worked for nearly two decades.

• A one-man defensive island.

Last season, the Cavs had some serious problems when they matched upagainst the Magic and Lakers. They had trouble controlling DwightHoward and keeping him from getting low position. He would either catchthe ball too deep and get a dunk or a foul or he would find his 3-pointshooters when the Cavs double-teamed him.

Against the Lakers, the Cavs had issues dealing with their multiple7-footers. If Pau Gasol wasn't beating them, then Andrew Bynum or LamarOdom did. Often when they had to help one of the Lakers' three big men,the other was there to take advantage on the weakside via a pass orrebound.

O'Neal is not spry and does have problems handling the pick-and-roll,but he will never give up position due to size. He will not need helpguarding his man, be it Howard, Gasol or Bynum. This will enable theCavs to play straight up defensively and eliminate the trick defensesthat failed them in the Eastern Conference Finals.

With Zydrunas Ilgauskas to help him, the Cavs can chose to play big if teams like the Lakers opt to use two centers at one time.

O'Neal does not move nearly as well as he used to and therefore can'tbe as good of a basket defender when it comes to blocking shots, but1-on-1 he is still as good as it gets at the position.

• A motivated big man.

O'Neal missed the playoffs last season for the first time in his careerand had to watch former teammate and uneasy rival Kobe Bryant tie himwith four championship rings. He has been issued a challenge by Howardas the heir to his throne. And he's fighting to prove that he still canbe a champion.

During his career, O'Neal has been at his best when he's beenmotivated. With his stated goal to reach a fifth championship beforeBryant and with a new contract on the line, there's no questioning hismotivation. Which is exactly what the Cavs want and need.

The potential risks:

• The contract issue.

O'Neal made no secret when he arrived in Cleveland that he wants acontract extension of at least two seasons. He mentioned it three timesduring his introductory press conference.

He has been earning eight figures per season since 1996 and this yearwill make $20 million. But this is the first time he's faced having toprove he's worth getting another deal that pays him those eightfigures. It is obviously on his mind and he's never been afraid tospeak out when he thinks it will be to his benefit.

If the season isn't going the way he wants it, if he's not getting asmany touches as he wants or not putting up stats he thinks will helphim in his negotiations, it could become a distraction. Even if theCavs are doing well it is possible O'Neal could not be happy and thatis not a situation the team wants to be in.

• Sharing the spotlight.

When he came to town, O'Neal made a big splash by saying his goal wasto "win a ring for the king" as he lauded new teammate LeBron James. Healso said that "this is the time in my career where I can fit in. I'mnow in the security business. My job is to protect the king, and that'swhat I'm here to do."

But words and actions are two different things. O'Neal teamed up withBryant and Dwyane Wade to win titles, but left both with troubledrelationships. There were rumblings of problems with teammates inPhoenix after his departure. There's no doubt O'Neal is a winner, butthere is a question as to whether he can fit into the team dynamic. Ashis role changes there are questions how well he will deal with it.

• Relationship with the coach.

In the media, O'Neal is perhaps most famous for giving himself variousnicknames over the years. But he's just as prolific in another area. Hehas never been afraid to openly criticize his coaches or formercoaches, even the profession's elite in Phil Jackson and Pat Riley. Hisrant about former Heat coach Stan Van Gundy last year, when he brandedhim the "master of panic," will not soon be forgotten.

Unlike Riley and Jackson, Brown doesn't carry a championshipreputation. He also operates differently, selling his players onphilosophy and getting them to take ownership in a process, especiallyplaying defense. In other words, Brown does not carry or demand thesort of respect as some of O'Neal's previous coaches. Which means Browncould be an easy target if the big man so chooses.

Again referring to the first press conference, O'Neal took severalswipes at Brown's defensive strategies in the Eastern Conference Finalsloss to the Magic. O'Neal knew about them first hand, he was sittingcourtside for one of the games in Orlando. He may not be afraid to takeshots at Brown if things get rocky, which certainly may carry unsavoryeffects.

All-in-all, the Cavs have themselves one big weapon in O'Neal, butespecially with the stakes of this season he also is one big variable.

Dribbles: According to a source, as of Friday Delonte West was expected to be with the Cavs when they start training camp on Monday. Theteam has said nothing about the guard following his arrest last weekfor gun possession in Maryland. Because it is an ongoing criminal case,it is doubtful West will say much about the incident to the media. Muchof the concern is over West's mental state, which is a highly privatematter.

Meanwhile, James is excited about a movie project he has signed on todo called "Fantasy Basketball Camp," a comedy in which he will playhimself. It is scheduled to be filmed next summer. That could havesignificant effects on his schedule. One, with filming occupying hisoff-season, James may look to wrap up his free agency decision quicklyin July. Which will probably be somewhat a relief for all partiesconcerned.

Second, it puts his status with USA Basketball in question. Team USA isgoing to take part in the World Championships next September in Turkey.They were counting on James to play, but it isn't clear whether thetimeframe will enable him to shoot the movie and get his preparationsin with Team USA. The movie is set in Las Vegas and that is where TeamUSA will prepare for the event, so it is possible James could work bothinto his schedule.

One thing James' marketing company, LRMR, aims to do is to mergemultiple interests together. They seemed to be successful doing thatthis summer in promoting James' soon-to-be released documentary "MoreThan A Game." James went on a world tour set up by Nike to pitch hisnew signature shoe and tacked on promotion for the movie. Now, StateFarm has a new commercial with James that promotes the film.

He wants to blossom: In an interview with the Houston Chronicle, Trevor Ariza said the reason he picked the Rockets over the Cavs in July was because the Rockets offered him a bigger role. With Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming recovering from major injuries, there is room for Ariza to be a star in Houston.

"I chose to come here because I thought in Cleveland I would be thesame type of player," Ariza said. "I thought if I would leave a place,I might as well get better and try to find a role."

Anniversary season: This season the Cavs will wear an "XL" -- the Romannumeral for 40 -- on their uniforms to mark the team's 40th season. Thefranchise launched in 1970 and the 40th anniversary isn't until nextfall, but this is indeed the 40th season.

http://www.cleveland.com/..._starpower_brighten.html

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index.ssf/2009/09/terry_plutos_talkin_about_the_5.html
About the Cavs ...

1. Shaquille O'Neal has been in town this week and has been scrimmagingwith the Cavs, and the big man looks in good condition and seemsexcited about a new season. O'Neal has told coach Mike Brown and othershow Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade both needed O'Neal to win their firsttitles. He wants to do the same for LeBron James.

2. Between stops on his book and movie tour, James also has beenworking out at the team facility. The players meet the media on Monday,and James won't be the entire focal point with O'Neal around. Jameswill probably enjoy that, as he has spent the summer with the mediaselling his new movie and book.

3. The Cavs are saying nothing about Delonte West's situation. He has notyet been working out with the team, but might be in town for Monday'sopening of camp. The questions hanging over West mean it's even moreimportant that Mo Williams continue to grow as a point guard. The Cavsexpect a better year from him because he knows the system, especiallythe defense. He now has been through a real playoff grind, and thatalso was new to him.

4. J.J. Hickson and Darnell Jackson have both impressed in pickup games,and there is playing time available for at least one of these young bigmen. This also is a important training camp for Daniel Gibson. He nowis healed from his turf toe injury -- which has bothered him in partsof the past two seasons. If West is out for an extended period, Gibsonwill have to handle the point guard duties when Williams rests.

5. Two guards in camp are expected to be Coby Karl and Andre Barrett.Karl is the son of Denver coach George Karl. He played 17 games withthe Lakers in 2007-08, and since has played in Europe and theDevelopmental League. He is a true point guard at 6-5, and the Cavs areintrigued by him. Barnett is a 5-11 guard from Seton Hall who hasplayed briefly with several NBA teams and in Europe.

Fox Sports Ohio latest schedule lists 2 preseason games as being televised.

Tues Oct 6 vs Charlotte (7:00 PM)

Mon Oct 12 vs Athens (7:00 PM)

J.J. Hickson finally healthy again
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- Last winter, when J.J. Hickson's lower backstarted hurting, hampering his ability to play, the Cavaliers' youngbig man's first instinct was to keep his mouth shut.

At 20 and gifted with excellent size, quickness and spring-loaded legs,he had never really been hurt before. He didn't need to wrap himself inice after games like his older teammates. He could run and jump allday, go to bed and do it again the next day. He didn't exactly to knowwhat to do.

So for a while, a couple weeks in fact, Hickson bore it silently evenas his head coach would scream at him about making mistakes and even ashis playing time dwindled. When he did finally speak up, the next thinghe knew he was getting rolled into an MRI machine and the 'team doctorwas explained a complicated diagnosis with a treatment plan that ishard for an itching NBA rookie to hear.

Shut it down. Complete and total rest for weeks. No basketball activities.

"When it started giving me problems I didn't say anything, not becauseI was scared but more because I thought it was just a tweak and itwould go away," Hickson said after completing a workout Wednesday atthe Cleveland Clinic Courts, one of his final ones before the Cavs kickoff training camp next Monday.

"I'm not saying I took things for granted, but I was always justexpected to have my athleticism and when my back started hurting it wastough to not be able to run and jump. It was hard for me."

The tests showed Hickson had a stress reaction, which actually in thegrand scheme was good news. It means the injury was caught before itcaused significant damage. He would not need surgery, but he could notplay for weeks. As it was early April, his rookie season waseffectively over.

The injury ended up lingering. When Hickson had a few setbacks in hisrecovery, which is normal, he was held out of summer league in July.The flip side, Hickson says, is he is now 100 percent and has beenplaying 5-on-5 and doing workouts for most of the last two monthsleading into training camp.

"It's not giving me problems anymore, I feel really good," Hicksonsaid. "I'm at the point where I am confident I'll be able to surpasswhat I did last year."

Last season, Hickson averaged four points and 2.7 rebounds in 62 games.The talented power forward had his low moments that some fans willremember, notably forgetting to box out Lamar Odom twice in a home lossto the Los Angeles Lakers. But he also had a couple of games thataffirmed the Cavs' belief that he's going to be a significant part ofthe future, including a 13-point, seven-rebound game against the Magicin Orlando, an 11-point, four-rebound game against the Lakers in LosAngeles and a 10-point, five-rebound effort at Golden State.

Those were all high-pressure situations on the road and among thereasons the team left a rotation spot for him to win. Shaquille O'Neal,Anderson Varejao and Zydrunas Ilgauskas will get their minutes, butwith Leon Powe out with knee surgery the Cavs have minutes available ifHickson wins them.

He has his fans, especially LeBron James, who worked out with Hicksonthroughout the summer -- including some two-a-days. That and a healthyback is giving Hickson confidence as he prepares to start his sophomoretraining camp.

"To be with Bron working out and to see the high expectations he has ofme is a real confidence builder," Hickson said. "Last year I felt likeI was playing on pins and needles but this year I'm already feeling alot more comfortable and my game is developing more."

Delonte just finished his media day interview. He looks like he's in good spirits.

Says it's a breath of fresh air to be back in Cleveland and having a routine (which he got out of this summer) is important to him.

This thread feels lonely.

I'm here to hang out with ya'll OC. You're welcome.
happy.gif

let's get down to business.

3rd place in the Central.

#8 seed.

Call me crazy.
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

CP
laugh.gif

but for reals though wheres all the cavs fans at?!...did Lebron leave already?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

i really wanna see how shaq does on the court...as far as pregame rituals
laugh.gif

Good to see OC making Cavs threads again...I'm already pumped for this season to start.

Going next Tuesday to the preseason game, not because I'm interested in the game
laugh.gif
but I just want to see all these guys on the court already.Delonte's legal trouble all but ensures Anthony Parker a starting spot, which I'm fine with. Even if Delonte misses around 10 games as long as he comesback in-shape that's fine. I think the bigger issue with him, however, is going to be getting his depression under control.

Where are the other Cavs fans (gAbEgramZ stay home)? Good to see you OC...

With The Browns being an expansion team again, The Cleveland Indians being a Single A team, this is our only hope left, lets get it Cavs

Bout time you got back on the clock Chester, the hel lyou been?
grin.gif

How we doin this year? What you think? Should we start West, or start Moon? Think West legal issues will cloud his play early on?

Do we keep doin the ridiculous camera pose thing before each game, knowin full well we'll get clowned cuz we didn't win @#$% last year?

Shaq and Z......play em together?

Is AV still out on the streets throwin money up in the air laughing at mangement?

So many questions.......so much time to think about them.
happy.gif
pimp.gif

Not long now.

I keep forgetting that Shaq is now a Cav. He could be really useful if he keeps his ego in check. It will be really interesting how they play him and Z too -could be effective having 2 good centers on the same team.

laugh.gif

Come on man, just tryna make some dudes smile. Last I saw ya'll, was tears in your eyes and @#$%, people lookin at knives, their wrists, knives again.

All bad.

But it's ok. We here for ya. We can still hang out, and have a good time, laugh and enjoy basketball.......

......in the regular season.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

app4794431254166154.jpg

Good to see the Cavs fans again

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]

damn they got lebron in the woods and %+@@? spent all their money on sideshow bob, can't afford to have press conferences indoors?

[h1]Cavs' West misses practice with unexcused absence[/h1]
Posted Sep 29 2009 2:20PM

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio (AP) -- Troubled Cavaliers guard Delonte West did not show up for Cleveland's first practice and his absence was unexcused.

Cavs coach Mike Brown said West did not participate in the team's first workout of training camp on Tuesday and he did not know if West would be at the evening session.

West was recently arrested for gun possession in Maryland after police pulled him over for a traffic violation and found three concealed, loaded weapons -- two handguns and a shotgun in a guitar case on his back.

West, who has battled mood disorders for years, was in good spirits on Monday and said during the team's media day that he had resumed taking his medications.

Brown said general manager Danny Ferry was handling the situation.

Uh-oh. He's on thin ice to begin with. I hope he gets his ##!! together.

said during the team's media day that he had resumed taking his medications.
He stopped taking his meds and that's what caused that whole incident?

I've been a fan of him since St. Joe's, but damn, somebody needs to get him some help.

Ever yesterday he didn't sound all there...

We've got to respect the legal process," West said. "I understand there's a lot of questions a lot of things you want to know about the situation. Right now I want to focus on this team and playing basketball."
West was asked what he can say.

"Once the details come out surrounding the situation, you'll see that it's not as big as some are making it," he said. "There's a lot going on with a lot of athletes in the news and it was just bad timing before training camp, unfortunately. That's going to handle itself."

How are some making it bigger than it is? You cut off a cop with 3 guns, 1 of which was a shotgun in a guitar case. I'd like to know the"details surrounding the situation" that required him to be strapped like this.

step one of a terrible season for the cavs

But in all seriousness, I hope he gets his stuff together. The mind is a very delicate thing. Being bi-polar is NO joke. Hope he gets in a routine and gets hislife back in order.

Back
Top Bottom