College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

^ It will be a good look if St Johns if they can get Durand Scott. He will be a big plus at the 2 guard. They need to get this kid signed. I really like thefact that they got Omari Lawrence that is good news.

Scout's New 2010 Rankings

http://scouthoops.scout.c...c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2010

#34 .. LI!

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Finally we have made some noise in Queens baby. We picked up a verbal from Omari Lawrence today and we're close to setting up a package deal with Kevin Parrom and Durand Scott. Boy oh boy the grass is finally starting to grow.
laugh.gif
Kevin. I remember having a fight with him. What HS is heattending after he got kicked out b/c of the fight with his coach (he was provoked)?

Originally Posted by dreClark

Did he beat your *** ???
grin.gif
It was more of a scuffle. I rocked him before the parentsand team broke it up.

I couldn't go on anymore AAU trips with them b/c of it. I'm still tight that Omari ate my nachos and big gulp.

Ohio State's recruiting of big men is $*+$@%$ ridiculous. It seems they've gotten a top big man for like the last 4 or 5 years in a row now.

[h1]Stephenson spends summer getting bigger and better[/h1]

By Christopher Lawlor
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: August 20, 2008
recruit_stephenson_580.jpg

Steve Boyle/ESPN

Lance Stephenson is New York's next great hoops hope. But the standout guard from Brooklyn doesn't seem fazed by the weight of expectations.
NEW YORK -- Dawn along Coney Island Beach is when Lance Stephenson Jr.enjoys the remnants of solitude. His days are long. His time is in demand.
While slogging through the sand on Brooklyn's southernmost tip, Stephenson is alone in thought. He's focused on each step, on pushing closer togreatness. The morning run is when he envisions unleashing a killer crossover dribble, ponders where he might attend college next fall, or contemplates schoolassignments he needs to complete.

Chasing greatness begins at 5:30 a.m. on streets named Surf, Mermaid and Atlantic. After an intense hour workout, which includes pull-ups and dips on ajungle gym in a nearby playground, Stephenson heads down Ocean Parkway to school.

For the faint at heart, the rigorous daily regimen is just that; reflecting the work ethic needed to rise above the competition and atop the analyst'scharts in the high school basketball Class of 2009.

The 6-foot-6-inch guard no longer needs introductions. In the grassroots basketball universe, Stephenson is sun, the moon and the star.

The sun: players revolve around him, feeding off his energy. He's the center of the prep hoop universe.
The moon: a cold, desolate place, but one that breeds the cool mannerisms and individual drive to conquer greatness.
The star: his is shining brighter than ever.

Stargazing is the norm when Stephenson takes the court; he is the fan favorite. He regularly drains Sharpies signing autographs, but it's his signaturemoves and cocksure attitude that attract basketball aficionados.

Stephenson, like neighborhood legends Stephon Marbury and Sebastian Telfair, was earmarked for greatness at an early age. Stephenson, dubbed "SirLancelot" or "Born Ready," has grasped the Brooklyn torch with flair.

On Friday, Stephenson and 23 of the nation's elite boys' high school basketball players will compete in the Boost Mobile Elite 24 (ESPNU, 8 p.m.ET), a unique, summer-ending all-star game at the famed outdoor court at Rucker Park in Harlem.

The event's third incarnation is a celebration of the outdoor game, popularized by urban street legends. Thirteen of the 24 chosen players are risingseniors, including Stephenson.

Stephenson is no stranger to the event, having played in last year's game.

"Crowds can be tough [at Rucker] but I'm used to it," Stephenson said. "Outdoor games are about up and down court and showmanship. Peoplewant you to show them what you have. It's pretty much the same at the Gardens in Coney Island."

That's where Stephenson, the latest Brooklyn prodigy to lace them up for Lincoln High, toils and resides. He's a few blocks from the amusement park,home of the renowned Cyclone Roller Coaster, Nathan's Hot Dog stand and the New York Aquarium.

Killer workout

The mist usually lifts from the shores of the Atlantic shortly after sunrise. By that time Stephenson and his father Lance Sr. or "Stretch" (aname derived from a six-inch summertime growth spurt as a teen) have completed the "killer" workout.

Running, pushups, pull-ups, proper stretching and jump shots comprise the daily routine. (Stephenson and his father complete it in an hour, allowing both tobe on time for school and work.)

The workout is patterned after the one created for Telfair by his half-brother, Jamel Thomas. Stephenson began running the beach with Telfair when he was12.

"At first, Sebastian just sprinted in the sand leaving me way behind," Stephenson said. "But to be the best that's what I needed todo."

Running in the sand gives athletes a tough workout in a short distance; in Stephenson's case the route lasts 22 blocks (approximately two miles) on thesand, followed by a return trip on the boardwalk.

The back and shoulders benefit greatly from running on sand, because balance is stressed. Quadriceps (four muscles in the front thigh) bulge. Fast and slowtwitch fibers generate short bursts of speed and strength, giving the legs their spring. Training in the sand cushions the knees, saving on wear and tear ofthe joint and surrounding soft tissue.

"After running on sand when I run the boardwalk it's like running on air," Stephenson said, grinning.

After that it's off to the Surfside Houses, a 15-story housing project, where Stephenson runs five sets of stairs. Translation: He sprints 15 flights ofstairs to the roof and back, equaling a set.

As if that wasn't enough, Stephenson interweaves 500 push-ups between runs.

No wonder Stephenson has packed on nearly 20 pounds since the end of the high school season in March. He nowcarries 225 pounds on his sleek frame.

His defined body would send Praxiteles, an ancient Greek sculptor, scurrying for a chisel and hammer.

Stretch Stephenson says the blue print for "the perfect basketball body" took form when he saw LeBron James at the ABCD Camp in 2001.

"That's the body type you need to absorb the punishment," Stretch said.

Dwayne "Tiny" Morton, Lincoln's coach said: "I've seen [Stephenson] play around the neighborhood this summer and he's bigger;more [muscle] definition. He's nearly unstoppable down low and his outside shot is going down; that's against experienced players. Imagine whenhe's back at Lincoln."

Summertime blues

Stephenson and his father remained tight this summer. Stretch coached Raising Champions, a club team featuring Lance and several New York prospects.

Lance toyed with the nation's top-rated point guards at the Nike Steve Nash Skills Academy in June in New Jersey, then he attended the LeBron JamesSkills Academy, where 80 of the country's top prep players congregated in Akron, Ohio.

[+] http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3544231&story=3544469','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">Enlarge
http://sports.espn.go.com...?id=3544231&story=3544469','Popup','width=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;">
recruit_a_stephenson_200.jpg

AP Photo/ Joe Lippincott

Lance Stephenson is the latest in a long line of talented preps to play at Lincoln High.
Last weekend, he played in outdoor tournaments at Orchard Beach (City Island in the Bronx) and the famed West Fourth Street Court in Greenwich Village.Tuesday he competed in a Marbury-Telfair sponsored event at the Gardens, just five blocks from home.
Stephenson ended the summer as the No. 7 prospect in the ESPN 100 player rankings. The knock on Stephenson was not necessarily his shooting ability, it waswhen and where he takes his shots. So instead of shooting racks of balls, Stephenson needed to understand why his shot was off target.

Enter Jerry Powell of Basketball Results, who has trained Stephenson weekly for the past three years. Powell reprogrammed Stephenson, drilling him inballhandling skills, shooting and flexibility.

When Stephenson began, Powell noted he was "too stiff."

"Lance, like many athletes, did not know how to properly warm up or stretch," Powell said. "If your muscles aren't warmed up properly,you'll lose range of motion. Stretching properly before and after a workout helps prevent injuries."

It also helped Stephenson to become in tune with his body.

"Lance knows if he misses a jumper what we needs to do next time," said Powell, who currently trains NBA players Ron Artest, Al Harrington,Jermaine O'Neal, Mike James, Rajon Rondo, Marko Jaric and DahntayJones.

"The key is to make the adjustment immediately."

Stephenson has worked tirelessly on his long-range jumper -- he knows pundits question his shot's consistency. Powell continuously articulates why thedrills will work.

"There is no offseason; Lance can't take anything for granted," Powell said.

Stephenson hasn't, and neither have the Lincoln Railsplitters. Last season, Lincoln (29-4), No. 11 in the ESPN HIGH Elite 25 final rankings, captured asixth New York PSAL AA city championship in seven years (and third straight) and a second consecutive New York State Federation title.

Before he closes out his illustrious prep career, Stephenson will choose a college. He won't tip his hand but hinted programs such as Memphis, Kansas,Texas, St. John's and Southern California are in the mix.

Two decades ago, St. John's might have been a no-brainer for a Brooklyn kid (see Chris Mullin or Mark Jackson). Despite the Red Storm's recentstruggles, Stephenson is intrigued.
"I'm looking at them hard," Stephenson said. "It would be great to bring back New York and rebuildone of the great programs. It's close to home; my family could see me play, but I'm interested also in seeing new places and going away."
College will likely last only one year before Stephenson declares for the NBA draft in 2010.

Stephenson, though, won't fast-forward his upcoming senior season. Lincoln will make three appearances on ESPN as part of a tortuous national schedulewith stops in Oklahoma, New Jersey and Florida.

"You put together a schedule like this to test your players," Morton said. "The nation will see what we see every day."

That's Stephenson at his best.

No wonder Stephenson has packed on nearly 20 pounds since the end of the high school season in March. He now carries 225 pounds on his sleek frame.
smh.gif
smh.gif

Beast.

Kid just needs to get his head right.

Hopefully he does...Cause I think a lot of people wanna see him fail...

I don't think anybody wants to see him fail...I just think people (myself included) are tired of these supposed "superstar" kids coming out ofNew York who've been getting hyped since they were 10 years old...with huge egos thinking they're God's gift to basketball because they got a buncha yes-men around them referring to them with corny %#% nick-names. Then they hit the big stage and realize they aint as hot as they thought they were.

That's why I like the kids coming out of my area...because we make them WORK for everything they have. We not anointing them "gods" while theystill teenagers with mini documentaries and #+!$.

I think if he wasn't from Lincoln it'd be different...

But it was Steph, then Bas, now Lance...

The hype is gona be there. And I don't think it would be as such at another HS.

Y'all don't think the hype, attention he's getting is warranted by his talent????

nerd.gif

And I'm not really worried about Lance falling on his face....AS long as his head is on correctly...

Yeah, he's got the talent..personally I still think he's better than where people have him slotted (7,8,9)

But I just think hype in HS for the most part has been unwarranted recently for most.

Unless you're LeBron.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Yeah, he's got the talent..personally I still think he's better than where people have him slotted (7,8,9)
True. I used to think he was >> John Wall.

Now, after watching more of Wall's vids, I don't think that's the case. I think InMyMind had been saying that all along tho...
nerd.gif

Yeah, the hype can be OD sometimes...But it isn't like their hyping Miles Plummee or some $*#$...

At least he's legit....

eek.gif
Lance's workout and the 20 lbs gained
I hear he is legit, so some hate criticism is to be expected. I'll have to keep my eye on NY sportsnews feeds.

Lance will be fine.

like Dre said he just needs to keep it wrapped tight and he'll be more than fine

I can't see too many players who have his upside and talent. I just can't. He's suffering the same fate OJ did, its the fact that we've heardhis name for so long you tend to get tired and want something fresh. Which leads to people waiting and watching for every single flaw.

The kid is gonna kill wherever he ends up.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Sidney, I believe.

Huh?
nerd.gif

Inmymind's guy for 09.

Scout has us on Harrison Barnes list?
nerd.gif
...nice.
Na I had Wall at the top of my list with Favors and Sidney behind him. Don't know about Sidney any more though...he's another one of themdudes that carries himself like he's god's gift to basketball and hasn't backed it up yet.

Back
Top Bottom