Condo developers build separate entrances for lower income residents

being a doorman at these type of buildings they know everyone mostly by a first name basis. It is their job to know. They work for tips and being quick on thier feet and knowing each resident is a nice little bonus for them.

New york man. I want to move to NYC. Is there any way I can get a rent controlled apartment or are those a thing of the past? What are they exactly anyway.

So i just noticed the dates on this thread. Has there been any updates to this?

Last edited:
New york man. I want to move to NYC. Is there any way I can get a rent controlled apartment or are those a thing of the past? What are they exactly anyway.

Hard to find and get into. I only know of one person who lives in a controlled apt off E 34st in the city. She got the place through her grandparents, who passed and gave it to her. From my understanding rent control in NYC is like some sort of nepotism.

Def a thing in the past there are no new rent stabilized apartments. Rent stabilized means exactly what it implies lol they can't raise your rent even if your income changes aka the ninjahood plan. There are apartments that price your rent based off of your income though but of course there is a minimum.

So i just noticed the dates on this thread. Has there been any updates to this?

The update is on page 3, the court approved the "poor door"

Last edited:
Def a thing in the past, and it's where
The update is on page 3, the court approved the "poor door"

SMMFH. I cant man. The only reason this even gets sort of a pass is because finding apts in the city is hard. A lot of areas are being over taken and for voucher holders they are stuck. smmfh

same goes for you why would you be willing to do this? Because you can claim a "status"? So we can tell people I live in the UWS? Again, where do you draw the line if I may ask?

You're thinking about this way more deeply into this than I am B :lol:.

It has nothing to do with the UWS side actually although it is a nice area... I'd be happy to pay $1,000/month for an apt. anywhere in NYC if it was a newly built building..

I'd give no ***** about what door I have to go thru or who else lives in the building.. I have enough people I can associate with already

Last edited:
You're thinking about this way more deeply into this than I am B :lol:.

It has nothing to do with the UWS side actually although it is a nice area... I'd be happy to pay $1,000/month for an apt. anywhere in NYC if it was a newly built building..

I'd give no ***** about what door I have to go thru or who else lives in the building.. I have enough people I can associate with already

again, where do you draw the line? Your logic is "I wouldnt mind being treated like a second class citizen as long as I could get a deal in a really nice area of Ny Im not wanted in."

again, where do you draw the line? Your logic is "I wouldnt mind being treated like a second class citizen as long as I could get a deal in a really nice area of Ny Im not wanted in."
Situation A: You have to enter your apartment at a specific entrance, but you pay 1000$/monthly

Situation B: You can enter your apartment wherever you want, but you pay 1500$/monthly

Take your pride, my poor self will take the 500$/ month

The requirements for your applications to even get looked at for this apartment was you have to make close to 40K. They're "poor" though. It's rational that a person making a honest living above poverty has to go to different door to appease young Becky whose mom sent her to NYC to go to Columbia for journalism :lol: :x

EXACTLY minimum is 40K the average american salary is at about 28K if i'm not Mistaken... this isn't about some family of people who are chilling in the crib all day smoking weed getting some ridiculous discount. These people work just as hard if not harder than people who make double the salary yet they have to be treated as if their inferior.

Situation A: You have to enter your apartment at a specific entrance, but you pay 1000$/monthly

Situation B: You can enter your apartment wherever you want, but you pay 1500$/monthly

Thing is these rents are between 1800-2000 for the poor people alone.... Not to mention i'm not really one who cares much what neighbors think of me as long as any kind of situations ain't brought up, but something tells me that the "wealthy" people in this building will get very prevalent authority over the "poor" in this building and there will surely be discrimination against those in the poor (AKA 1800+ a month) apartments.

So in all honesty having a separate entrance/ amenities may actually be a way to try and discourage the sure altercations that will take place. Because i could only imagine the reaction of the wealthy man if i was waiting on the same elevator with my music playing in my headphones :rolleyes.

My problem isn't really the segregation as much as the separation of amenities & the guaranteed difference in priority that the two sides will get in maintenance, rules, security etc etc.

City has major issues & residents cosigning this garbage :rofl:

Good luck when you're priced out of the city & end up on your ***

EXACTLY minimum is 40K the average american salary is at about 28K if i'm not Mistaken... this isn't about some family of people who are chilling in the crib all day smoking weed getting some ridiculous discount. These people work just as hard if not harder than people who make double the salary yet they have to be treated as if their inferior.

Thing is these rents are between 1800-2000 for the poor people alone.... Not to mention i'm not really one who cares much what neighbors think of me as long as any kind of situations ain't brought up, but something tells me that the "wealthy" people in this building will get very prevalent authority over the "poor" in this building and there will surely be discrimination against those in the poor (AKA 1800+ a month) apartments.

So in all honesty having a separate entrance/ amenities may actually be a way to try and discourage the sure altercations that will take place. Because i could only imagine the reaction of the wealthy man if i was waiting on the same elevator with my music playing in my headphones :rolleyes.

My problem isn't really the segregation as much as the separation of amenities & the guaranteed difference in priority that the two sides will get in maintenance, rules, security etc etc.

I feel like the people in the show the leftovers, "Don't waste your breath." They have already said, "Hey if I can save money I would do the same. I dont mind being treated as inferior and second class." :rofl:

City has major issues & residents cosigning this garbage :rofl:

Good luck when you're priced out of the city & end up on your ***

Which residents are cosigning this? When the story originally broke last year, many were against it. It's our corrupt politicians that allowed something like this to happen so they can live up to campaign promises of affordable housing. I don't know about you, but $1800/mo isn't affordable housing. It's the reason why many are leaving the city and those who are coming to the city, are crammed 3-4 to an apartment. If you can qualify to pay $1800/month, you're not poor which is why the statement released is more incendiary because these are hard working people being lumped with society's lowest class.

Do you think it's pride? I see an injustice. I confront the injustice. But hey thats just me. I am different from everyone else. Saving money is not that high of a priority to me. Telling my daughter no sweetie we have to go in this side of the building because we do not make as much as the people who have to go on that side is what motivates me to speak out about this.

I feel like the people in the show the leftovers, "Don't waste your breath." They have already said, "Hey if I can save money I would do the same. I dont mind being treated as inferior and second class." :rofl:

don't get me wrong i do see the appeal of wanting to live in one of those buildings if you have confidence that relations with other tenants are going to stay respectful. If it was a guarantee that i was going to be able to come home after a long day and just enjoy myself in the comfort of my home without any other distractions from neighbors and lies about what i'm doing there, then i would really consider it.

A studio apartment in an much less attractive area can cost the same price... so i get the draw.

My problem comes in when i take into account the pettiness & small mindedness of people in the world. I can pretty much guarantee that people having a different entrance, view & exclusive rights to the amenities wouldn't be enough for them and i would still be facing issues with other tenants & not getting fair treatment from management

so disrespectful.... 

their money is good enough, but their character isn't 

why the hell would you rent to "undesireables" in the first place --- rent to people that pass extensive vetting and call it a day... good/bad tenants come from all income brackets 

so disrespectful.... 

their money is good enough, but their character isn't 

why the hell would you rent to "undesireables" in the first place --- rent to people that pass extensive vetting and call it a day... good/bad tenants come from all income brackets 

AMEN!!!! I have this **** Air force captain renting one of homes and i swear i get complaints left and right from my neighbor. He drinks his *** off and likes to verbally abuse his wife. His lease is up 1 Sep. Thank you lord!!!!

So my question is where does it stop for you? where do you draw the line? would you let someone smack your mother for money? would you let someone sleep with your girl if he paid you? So lets take away your dignity for gain or profit, because hey its only a small proce to pay right? Smh.
same goes for you why would you be willing to do this? Because you can claim a "status"? So we can tell people I live in the UWS? Again, where do you draw the line if I may ask?

What's this dignity you speak off?...those people walking through the "poor door" are living better than I am paying 1300$ a month in mortgage in a 1BR apartment :rofl:

You truly expect me to feel sympathy? To feel sorry for them?...they aré living amongst millionaires Bruh...

Do you think it's pride? I see an injustice. I confront the injustice. But hey thats just me. I am different from everyone else. Saving money is not that high of a priority to me. Telling my daughter no sweetie we have to go in this side of the building because we do not make as much as the people who have to go on that side is what motivates me to speak out about this.
This is where me and many of the low-income differ with you.

"sweetie, you see these men we live with? They're the top 1% of the world. We live in the same building."

This is where me and many of the low-income differ with you.

"sweetie, you see these men we live with? They're the top 1% of the world. We live in the same building."

Then finish the statement to her, "But because we are clearly not in the same social class or tax bracket baby, we cannot walk through the same door as them. But we live amongst them, which makes it better." Im actually going to rep you because that was truly funny to me. lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom