Considering move from DC area to ATL. vol. The rent is too damb high

I live in NE pay $2200 for a two bedroom two bathroom. I love my apartment.

OP you should really look for a roommate. Gives you a lot more options. I was paying $700 to live in a basement in Wheaton for a bit right out of college. Was able to save a lot of money but the time I save commuting now, how nice my apartment is, and easy access to DC is worth the extra $4-500 a month I pay now.

Last edited:
I live in NE pay $2200 for a two bedroom two bathroom. I love my apartment.

OP you should really look for a roommate. Gives you a lot more options. I was paying $700 to live in a basement in Wheaton for a bit right out of college. Was able to save a lot of money but the time I save commuting now, how nice my apartment is, and easy access to DC is worth the extra $4-500 a month I pay now.

Second the roommate thing

My share of a pretty good sized two bed two bath (I have the master) on the Westside in LA is $1235.

Small studios in this same complex go for almost 1600 and 1 bedrooms almost 2000

I'm sorry but that's *** backwards to me. Why would I get a roommate here to pay damn near what a 1 bedroom is in ATL?

y'all are really trapped in the allure of DC as if jobs don't exist anywhere else :lol:

OP can get a house in Atl for 1/3 the price he pays rent and zero money down, because they are trying to grt people to move into old hoods they are gentrifying. Once again the whole "city being overratted" is bamma talk, you go where ever you have the most efficient opportunity to build wealth point blank.

Question.

As a someone with a degree, 2 years at a large consulting firm being a AA and a Analyst, is it possible to get a job at 50k?

I'm sorry but that's *** backwards to me. Why would I get a roommate here to pay damn near what a 1 bedroom is in ATL?

y'all are really trapped in the allure of DC as if jobs don't exist anywhere else :lol:

If you get a roommate:

-You still have your own bedroom
-You'll likely have a bigger common area to chill in
-You can split cable/internet and utilities/sewage&water
-You'll be paying a lot less for base rent and/or have a better location (trade off here depends on where you lived previously and where you decide to live with roommate)

My roommate works long hours and tends to visit his gf a lot on weekends. He also can't really cook so I get full reign on the kitchen. Basically feels like I'm living by myself at times.

As long as you find someone who is responsible and respectful of you and the common space there is literally no disadvantage to having a roommate. I would consider the benefits more before totally out ruling it and moving to a more "affordable" area. I don't buy the stats on cost of living besides housing. Your spending habits on food and recreation don't change overnight. Unless the rent cost is substantially lower and you make the same salary or greater, moving to save less than a grand or so a month seems pointless to me.

Last edited:
I get the benefits of a roommate but there's no way I'm trying to do that after living by myself. The freedom to do what you want, when you want >>> living in the DC area.

Don't wanna have to consult qith someone when I'm having company over, who's using the washer/dryer, did they pay bills on time. I left that back in college bro.

I think y'all are missing the point, I have no ties to DC or special reason to stay here. Its just another big city, I have a fairly regular job doing regular Analyst stuff that can be replicated pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:
I get the benefits of a roommate but there's no way I'm trying to do that after living by myself. The freedom to do what you want, when you want >>> living in the DC area.

Don't wanna have to consult qith someone when I'm having company over, who's using the washer/dryer, did they pay bills on time. I left that back in college bro.

I think y'all are missing the point, I have no ties to DC or special reason to stay here. Its just another big city, I have a fairly regular job doing regular Analyst stuff that can be replicated pretty much anywhere.
I can see the argument because I've lived by myself for a year before moving in with my cousin.

However, theres never an issue or any about the things you listed about having a roomate--personally speaking. We have similar habits, mannerisms, expectations. So there hasnt been an issue. The only freedom that you have that i dont is being able to walk naked in the entire apt. We each have our own bathroom. When breezies come through its never a problem. I'm a graphic designer and the DC area is a really good for my profession. Additionally, my folks/family lives in richmond so i'm only an hour and a half away from them, which adds to me staying here.

For you, rooming with someone unfamiliar and being in a location where you have no ties to does seem like alot just to stay. The two methods i said earlier about stacking ends both lead to the same place; which is financial stability/increase. So if you want to maintain living alone then you can go ahead and bounce. But if you like the area then the VERY least you can do is look around and see if you can't get a living situation for yourself in a safer place. Also, make sure there's no company that's based in DC that is a great resume check that you need before you go.

^Cosign the above statement.

OP you should bounce if you just wanna live dolo and stack bread. Seems like rent is your main concern and rent definitey isn't cheap here. If you don't have a career here then do it.

I've only been here for 3 years. No family or anything keeping me here. Its a good area to live in but I'm not planning on spending the rest of my life here. I plan to stick around a few more years to finish my MBA and hit my pay ceiling then I'll likely move elsewhere.

OP you should bounce if you just wanna live dolo and stack bread. Seems like rent is your main concern and rent definitey isn't cheap here. If you don't have a career here then do it.

I've only been here for 3 years. No family or anything keeping me here. Its a good area to live in but I'm not planning on spending the rest of my life here. I plan to stick around a few more years to finish my MBA and hit my pay ceiling then I'll likely move elsewhere.
my man
pimp.gif

Aye this might help you out..

I got some cats getting legal money in DC who pay around $900 for rent in some NICE *** modern apartments. I think it's some low income program where you have to make below a certain amount and they'll give you that unit (nice unit in a nice apartment complex) for a discounted rate. I think majority of DC complexes have these units. Peep tho, my mans and them are in a business where 80% of their pay is commission, and their base is only like 35 grand or so, so it's easy for them to get a letter saying that they make 30k. I guess they got that letter and became eligible for these units

I don't know how much bread you make, but if you can pull something like this, you may be able to come up. I'm talking stainless steel, 10 foot ceilings, and granite, my G.

Last edited:
Yea it's not overrated at all to imo, I liked it down there ...It got all the same stuff all big cities got so to me it's just moving from one city to another ...ppl that think it's overrated probly expecting it to be like a video down there with nothin but bad ho's , bottle poppin n the trap :lol:

:lol: spot on

Aye this might help you out..

I got some cats getting legal money in DC who pay around $900 for rent in some NICE *** modern apartments. I think it's some low income program where you have to make below a certain amount and they'll give you that unit (nice unit in a nice apartment complex) for a discounted rate. I think majority of DC complexes have these units. Peep tho, my mans and them are in a business where 80% of their pay is commission, and their base is only like 35 grand or so, so it's easy for them to get a letter saying that they make 30k. I guess they got that letter and became eligible for these units

I don't know how much bread you make, but if you can pull something like this, you may be able to come up. I'm talking stainless steel, 10 foot ceilings, and granite, my G.

Good looks, I know what you're talking about already tho. My home girl works for a apartment community so she told me about it. I actually tried to do that before I moved to where I'm at now, was gonna get a 1bedroom in the city for 1100, but they told me I make too much. Unfortunately I also don't make enough to pay regular priced rent at 1750 :lol:

I'm at the weird income level where I make too much for the 60% median income affordable housing, but not enough for 80% affordable housing or market rate.

I live in Alexandria and while it is an OK place to live for a few years I am moving back to the south. Unless you make a ton of money purchasing a home is out of the question. I purchased a condo for like 215 and its like 700 sqft. I would say the DMV is nice to live for a few years to experience it but its not as hyped us as people are making it. Home for that matter is where you want to be.

This. The areas you'd move to if you stayed in the DMV when you hit your pay ceiling and start a family are as sleepy as anywhere America anyways, may as well make that dollar stretch or be closer to family.

Last edited:
Question.

As a someone with a degree, 2 years at a large consulting firm being a AA and a Analyst, is it possible to get a job at 50k?

Yea, easy. Its typically when you have no experience you get low balled but 45-55 would be the range of pay. What type of Analyst are you?

Just wanna add I know a NTer in real life who moved from the DMV to AZ and last time I spoke with him he was really enjoying the change of pace. He had a good job though.

OP you should do it. I would move now if my career/school wasn't keeping me here.

Last edited:
Once again I`m going to stress, Making 100k means nothing if you have a ton of bills and stuff. I have so many friends who moved to LA,DMV, NYC because they were offered 60-70k, but that literally translates to like 35k in ATL. If you don't have kids, I most def recommend moving into one of the old hoods like hipster out of owners are doing. City is literally giving cats 10-50k grants (means you literally put nothing down besides closing cost on the home) to move into the city. Sure it isn't buckhead, but who the hell cares when you are in the heart of the city? The goal is building wealth, you can get a crib in the hood thats being gentrified and sell in 10 yrs if the gentrification knocks the equity up crazy (for example East Atl gentrified and homes went from being work 80-100k to 3-400k), or at the least you have a rental property and ATL has a ton of universities where you will have a constant stream of tenants. Your 20s is to set yourself up to have a breezy 30s and 40s. Dudes in other cities are literally paying 3-4 times what my mortgage payment is, lol more power to y'all on that tip, but I want no parts of that.

Sounds like you're already settling down for life in the ATL with a mortgage on a house and stuff. Honestly I would rather travel and take jobs in different major cities in my 20s when I have less commitments (wife, kids, demanding career, management position where I have to oversee employees or own my own business I have to tend to). If that means I have to pay 3-4x time rent in those bigger cities then that's fine with me. As long the opportunity (like NazDrowie said) is there and it is advancing my professional worth and my salary is increasing as well. It would be ridiculous to take a salary cut in any circumstance as a young adult just based on locality adjustments because that salary is your bargaining chip for the next job. So I would argue that making 100k does mean something when you are in a competitive field and can prove your worth and DEMAND that salary or higher from your next employer. If your plan is to build wealth then that starts with investing in your work and career. The amount to gain from building your career and salary is exponentially better, in the long run, than living in a more affordable area with less opportunity and taking a pay cut or making the same. This is all dependent on your age and what you do for a living though.

Don't get me wrong you make good points but it seems like a reserved approach to building wealth very slowly and steadily instead of being ambitious as a young professional and seeing how far you can climb and build your worth.

Once again I`m going to stress, Making 100k means nothing if you have a ton of bills and stuff. I have so many friends who moved to LA,DMV, NYC because they were offered 60-70k, but that literally translates to like 35k in ATL. If you don't have kids, I most def recommend moving into one of the old hoods like hipster out of owners are doing. City is literally giving cats 10-50k grants (means you literally put nothing down besides closing cost on the home) to move into the city. Sure it isn't buckhead, but who the hell cares when you are in the heart of the city? The goal is building wealth, you can get a crib in the hood thats being gentrified and sell in 10 yrs if the gentrification knocks the equity up crazy (for example East Atl gentrified and homes went from being work 80-100k to 3-400k), or at the least you have a rental property and ATL has a ton of universities where you will have a constant stream of tenants. Your 20s is to set yourself up to have a breezy 30s and 40s. Dudes in other cities are literally paying 3-4 times what my mortgage payment is, lol more power to y'all on that tip, but I want no parts of that.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're already settling down for life in the ATL with a mortgage on a house and stuff. Honestly I would rather travel and take jobs in different major cities in my 20s when I have less commitments (wife, kids, demanding career, management position where I have to oversee employees or own my own business I have to tend to). If that means I have to pay 3-4x time rent in those bigger cities then that's fine with me. As long the opportunity (like NazDrowie said) is there and it is advancing my professional worth and my salary is increasing as well. It would be ridiculous to take a salary cut in any circumstance as a young adult just based on locality adjustments because that salary is your bargaining chip for the next job. So I would argue that making 100k does mean something when you are in a competitive field and can prove your worth and DEMAND that salary or higher from your next employer. If your plan is to build wealth then that starts with investing in your work and career. The amount to gain from building your career and salary is exponentially better, in the long run, than living in a more affordable area with less opportunity and taking a pay cut or making the same. This is all dependent on your age and what you do for a living though.

Don't get me wrong you make good points but it seems like a reserved approach to building wealth very slowly and steadily instead of being ambitious as a young professional and seeing how far you can climb and build your worth.

You will never be wealthy as just someones employee 8 times out of 10. ATL has what I need career wise, and investment wise. I`m all about multiple streams of revenue and getting to a level eventually where I am producing something that can be passed down generationally. ATL has enough fortune 500 companies where If I want to continue to work for someone else it isn't an issue. In cities like NYC/LA you pretty much have to already have a ton of wealth to pop off your own stuff, while ATL has is a tad different with the cost of living being less you can use your "job money" as seed money to get your own thing popping off. Plus me having a home and mortgage does't mean I`m stuck in ATL forever lol, I can rent the place out if I want to live elsewhere, but for what I want to do ATL is the place to be. I`m in my 20s with no kids so even with a house I still have room to be flexible if opportunities arise elsewhere, I`m trying to get to a point where I can leave corporate America in my 40s, or at least having a corporate gig will be an option and not a necessity. I don't knock other cities, but I`d rather make 110k in ATL than make 250k in NYC.

Move to the suburbs in PG.. Bowie, Laurel, and Largo (the gated ones off Harry S Truman) are good areas.. Low crime, not much ratchetness, and diverse thots of all races. Rent is reasonable... well.. depending on what your version of reasonable is

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom