Considering move from DC area to ATL. vol. The rent is too damb high

All this talk about wealthy I feel you will be well off more than wealthy.

I define wealth as something I can pass down and future generations can live off of as long as they maintain it. You can have 100 degrees and a job paying 100k but when you die, you can't pass your job down, and having that job doesn't guarantee your kid will be able to survive when you're gone. Once again I`m not against having a job, Im just about using what ever income you have to build wealth. Often times we base our level of success on how much we can consume something, in all honesty I don't buy shoes any more and rarely buy clothes, the only non essentially items I spend bread on is probably tech stuff but then again I work in the industry. I feel once I have kids I won't have time to switch into build wealth mode, so I rather switch the flip now, like I said I want the whole corporate thing to be an option in my 40s, something I can do because I can do it if I want, not something I do because my kids won't eat without that check from work.

I know the difference in both terms of wealth was just saying well off you can still provide for your future generations. (was kind of a general statement my bad)

I understand making sure your kids have a bright future. Just know I'm not ready for that transition just yet outside of putting money into a 529 plan.

I'm sorry but that's *** backwards to me. Why would I get a roommate here to pay damn near what a 1 bedroom is in ATL?

y'all are really trapped in the allure of DC as if jobs don't exist anywhere else :lol:

Chuch. I was madd fortunate to have never had a roommate, even in college. I'm too much of a neat freak and too careless about throwing my credit cards on the bar, etc to have someone I just met around my personal things y0. Being able to come home and do WHATEVER the F you wanna do without some guy or guys telling you that it's your turn to load the dishwasher or having your lady come over for a quiet Friday night, but roomie wants to freestyle over Drake's new mixtape with his Boston Acoustics at full tilt.

I have a feeling that the OP wants to advance his life setup and moving to a higher end area of DMV and finding a roommate that he can fully trust, just to stay in DC is going 10mph in reverse. Serious Up. That's with any city. Gotta look towards the future with the quickness and set that foundation down in a city/region that you can grow in, otherwise you'll be playing catchup with other young professionals and still rolling in that '99 Civic.

What it comes down to is this. Every Single major city in this country has it's perks and minuses. Hitting the nightspots Friday and Saturday nights with your people is what makes your time in a city worthwhile. If a city you're debating on whether to move to is in the top 20 in the link below, you're set as far as "things to do". Even if it's at the bottom, the people around you make the weekends Sick, not the city.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html

I'm sorry but that's *** backwards to me. Why would I get a roommate here to pay damn near what a 1 bedroom is in ATL?

y'all are really trapped in the allure of DC as if jobs don't exist anywhere else
laugh.gif
More jobs here than ATL shawty

Yea, easy. Its typically when you have no experience you get low balled but 45-55 would be the range of pay. What type of Analyst are you?
"Business" Analyst. Work in sales operations department, I dont do sales though. Basically my team keeps all the sales territories in line, analyzes the best ways to distribute them through our accounts, and set up goals they have to achieve.

I'd explain further but I'm.on mobile but yeah, been there a year and a half now, so I'm over the initial "no experience" hump and its a fairly large and recognized company. Still thinking about getting into IT security soon tho.

But yeah, I'm trying to own, def. Not rent forever. Even the hoods being gentrified in DC gonna cost you a pretty penny for a home like 300k starting. The semi decent areas going for at least half a mill. Dudes out here needing two incomes and they whole savings to cop a crib. I'm not with it.

Plus the weather sucks, wind chill was -5, almost called out work lol

Join the NT Charlotte mass exodus. Just seent my dream bachelor pad warehouse loft for 230k, apparently they filmed parts of the bachelor there.

"Business" Analyst. Work in sales operations department, I dont do sales though. Basically my team keeps all the sales territories in line, analyzes the best ways to distribute them through our accounts, and set up goals they have to achieve.

I'd explain further but I'm.on mobile but yeah, been there a year and a half now, so I'm over the initial "no experience" hump and its a fairly large and recognized company. Still thinking about getting into IT security soon tho.

But yeah, I'm trying to own, def. Not rent forever. Even the hoods being gentrified in DC gonna cost you a pretty penny for a home like 300k starting. The semi decent areas going for at least half a mill. Dudes out here needing two incomes and they whole savings to cop a crib. I'm not with it.

oh yea, def a ton of companies in the A as IT and Healthcare are BOOMING, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get a gig. With 2 yrs you could probably worst case get a Jr. Analyst/ Analyst 1 role somewhere, or could maybe finesse into a Senior role ( those tend to ask for a min 4-5 yrs experience though). Biggest thing is getting your foot in the door somewhere. If you don't have much debt you can live in ATL comfortably on 35k, you just may have to thug it out and not splurge on unneeded things. Me personally I`d never do a roommate again, but when you're grinding you gotta do what you got to do.

Where are you basing this off of? Seriously. Bring some documentation to the table because your comments are straight up null bro. A quick search and I pulled this off of google from Yahoo Finance...

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/top-...-for-high-pay-and-low-expenses-195126305.html

lol ATL isn't Texas but it def has a healthy job market, hell Benz just announced its moving its HQ here from NJ. ATT wireless and Coke are ATL based and those two along employ TONS. The thing about ATL is entry level jobs (this can be said about any city), are hard to get, but if you have experience, you will eat.

oh yea, def a ton of companies in the A as IT and Healthcare are BOOMING, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get a gig. With 2 yrs you could probably worst case get a Jr. Analyst/ Analyst 1 role somewhere, or could maybe finesse into a Senior role ( those tend to ask for a min 4-5 yrs experience though). Biggest thing is getting your foot in the door somewhere. If you don't have much debt you can live in ATL comfortably on 35k, you just may have to thug it out and not splurge on unneeded things. Me personally I`d never do a roommate again, but when you're grinding you gotta do what you got to do.

No debt, no car note, year+ of rent and expenses saved. Don't go out often. If I could get a spot for 900 I'd easily survive off 35k.

No debt, no car note, year+ of rent and expenses saved. Don't go out often. If I could get a spot for 900 I'd easily survive off 35k.
Yeah 900 a month in ATL is fine. If you can find a 35k a job month in ATL, you'll be fine. But I would say use the cheap living expenses as a way to save to better your future(school, business or whatever dream you want to pursue)

Last edited:

you won't actually be in ATL, but you can get something for that price in Cobb or Dekalb EASY. I had a spot with a roommate a few yrs ago in Smyrna and we paid 850 for it (425 a pop), spot had a gym, pools, and all that stuff, and Smyrna is 15 min from downtown ATL. You can find tons of cheaper rental property via craigslist, but imo I`d take 3k (this would just be for closing cost, and anything you may need to buy for the crib) and just buy a house in the "hood" with the grant money they giving away.

you won't actually be in ATL, but you can get something for that price in Cobb or Dekalb EASY. I had a spot with a roommate a few yrs ago in Smyrna and we paid 850 for it (425 a pop), spot had a gym, pools, and all that stuff, and Smyrna is 15 min from downtown ATL. You can find tons of cheaper rental property via craigslist, but imo I`d take 3k (this would just be for closing cost, and anything you may need to buy for the crib) and just buy a house in the "hood" with the grant money they giving away.
You had a roomate in Georgia? Its far too cheap to be having roomates bruh

You sound like a ***** that can't keep a job. :lol:

@lucky: good stuff, but you lost me at "110k in atl >>> 250k in new York"

That's just a reach.. Other stuff was good though.

I still can't believe dudes in here talking about "just get a roommate"

Ain't nobody got time for that if you can afford to be on your own...

You sound like a ***** that can't keep a job.
laugh.gif

Because I said more jobs in DMV? Man you sound like a dude who ain't got a job

My best friend stays in Arlington off Columbia pike and can look right into the city great view. Dude makes 6 figures and has a roommate. And where he stays they call it nice for what they pay. What he paying up there would cost 650 here in Raleigh. N's are getting straight strongarmed in Virginia and DC.

Last edited:

Yeah I'm not pressed to live downtown. I live 15 mins from Downtown DC now and its never an issue. Hell apartments 30 mins outside DC are going for 1500 for a one bedroom.

I'd probably want to take a year and rent just to get to know the area then buy a crib. But buying would definitely be in my 1-2 year plan.

Can you get a brief breakdown of the "hoods" these homes are at though? Not very familiar with the geography outside of Buckhead, Midtown,College park, etc.

Last edited:

160 to 110 is maybe a better comparison, but either way in NYC tons of unnecessary cost that you dont worry about in ATL, and NYC is just a dirty city to me so I`m really straight on it.

160 to 110 is maybe a better comparison, but either way in NYC tons of unnecessary cost that you dont worry about in ATL, and NYC is just a dirty city to me so I`m really straight on it.
Have you even been there before? If so where and how long where you there?

Yeah I'm not pressed to live downtown. I live 15 mins from Downtown DC now and its never an issue. Hell apartments 30 mins outside DC are going for 1500 for a one bedroom.

I'd probably want to take a year and rent just to get to know the area then buy a crib. But buying would definitely be in my 1-2 year plan.

Can you get a brief breakdown of the "hoods" these homes are at though? Not very familiar with the geography outside of Buckhead, Midtown,College park, etc.

Vine City, English Ave, West End, Castleberry Hill, Ashview Heights, Washington Park, Pittsburg, etc, pretty much Zone 1 and Zone 3 of ATL they are giving away money to be in. The crime in these areas have been pushed to the burbs, so the only thing left are bandos and old burnt out junkies., but there are a lot of historic homes/ new homes built/being built in these areas. All of these areas you are minutes away from the heart of the city. Keep in mind though many of these areas are in the early stages of gentrification, so you get in now at dirt cheap prices and see the ROI in at least 10 yrs, but once again even if you dont want to flip the home you have a good rental property on your hand due to proximity to GA Tech, GA State, AUC, etc. Like I was going to the post office one day and saw a white lady jogging with a poodle on streets they filmed the movie Snow in da Bluff lol. Urban Pioneering is easy when your young since you dont have kids so school system is important, and I would assume you're "street smart" so you`d be fine, but different people have different taste and overall visions on what they want in life.

What unnecessary cost though?

I would think it would just be taxes and housing.

I rock with 99% of the stuff you say on NT but on this, not really

Dudes are just telling OP that if he doesn't like living in the area that another option could be to change his situation in the DMV instead of moving to whole other state.

Which I don't think is that unreasonable

The jobs is another issue. It is not like dude is already got a job lined up. Which would change my opinion on things almost entirely. If you got a job offer, got no ties to your current city, and don't like living in your current city, by all means leave. It would probably be a dumb decision to stay

But that is not the case. True if you're talent/skilled enough in the right field you can find work in most major cities but him being an analyst, he probably has tons more options within in DMV than Atlanta. If he plans on moving then he should really figure out the job situation first, and start to think long and hard about the trajectory of his career. Because moving into a worst job market shouldn't be taken lightly.

So all the DMV dudes is showing him his options

-He could move to different part of the DMV to save money
-He could get a roommate to save money
-He could look for better work to offset the higher rent

Or he could roll the dice on another city. But I don't like those suggestion are that out there

Last edited:
grin.gif
C'mon fam. You know the weather don't suck. We have an equal distribution of all seasons.
I'm not and I rock with 99% of the stuff you say on NT but on this, not really

Dudes are just telling OP that if he doesn't like living in the area that another option could be to change his situation in the DMV instead of moving to whole other state.

Which I don't think is that unreasonable/

The jobs is another issue. It is not like dude is already got a job lined up. Which would change my opinion on things almost entirely. If you got a job offer, got no ties to your current city, and don't like living in your current city, by all means leave. It would probably be a dumb decision to stay

But that is not the case. True if you're talent/skilled enough in the right field you can find work in most major cities but him being an analyst, he probably has tons more options within in DMV than Atlanta. If he plans on moving then he should really figure out the job situation first, and start to think long and hard about the trajectory of his career. Because moving into a worst job market shouldn't be taken lightly.

So all the DMV dudes is showing him his options

-He could move to different part of the DMV to save money
-He could get a roommate to save money
-He could look for better work to offset the higher rent

Or he could roll the dice on another city. But I don't like those suggestion are that out there
Everything. DMV just giving you options.

Back
Top Bottom