Consumer Reports' 2011 Reliability Rankings

http://www.autoblog.com/tag/consumer reports
Consumer Reports has released its annual Car Reliability Study, and the results weren't kind to Ford. The automaker saw its ranking fall from 10th to 20th due to issues with three specific models: the Explorer, Fiesta and Focus. Each of those vehicles ranked below average in reliability during their first year on the market due to issues with MyFord Touch and the dual-clutch transmissions in the Fiesta and Focus.

Meanwhile, Chrysler busily inched its way up the reliability ladder. Jeep managed to jump to the 13th spot to become the most reliable domestic manufacturer while Chrysler jumped 12 spots in the study and Dodge maneuvered up by three places.

Consumer Report’s list:
  1. Scion
  2. Lexus
  3. Acura
  4. Mazda
  5. Honda
  6. Toyota
  7. Infinity
  8. Subaru
  9. Nissan
  10. Volvo
  11. Hyundai
  12. Kia
  13. Jeep
  14. Lincoln
  15. Chrysler
  16. Volkswagen
  17. Chevrolet
  18. Mercedes-Benz
  19. BMW
  20. Ford
  21. Dodge
  22. GMC
  23. Mini
  24. Buick
  25. Cadillac
  26. Audi
  27. Porsche
  28. Jaguar
Since I don't want to sidetrack another thread, let me post this here. Japanese brands dominate, of course. Better buy, better value, better quality. Simple as that.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/25/ford-falls-chrysler-jumps-in-consumer-reports-reliabilit/

Not a hemi insight of the top 10. The ninja that's hood will not be pleased.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by oidreez

the luxury cars are closer to the bottom of the list smh
They make cutting edge stuff but forget about longevity and lasting components. My stepmom just sold her Audi for an Acura, couldn't stand the constant trips to the shop for stuff breaking.

Scion is basically a Toyota no?

Bought my 09 Corolla S with 19k miles on it in april 2010
I now have 78k miles (in 1.5 years) Yeah i drive a lot.
Haven't had one problem with it.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Scion is basically a Toyota no?

Bought my 09 Corolla S with 19k miles on it in april 2010
I now have 78k miles (in 1.5 years) Yeah i drive a lot.
Haven't had one problem with it.
pimp.gif
I would hope that your Corolla didn't have any problems, its the automotive equivalent of a microwave. 

A high response rate is the key to validity. Employee
survey findings can be questioned when fewer than half of the employees respond. So how many people respond to a Consumer Reports survey? "Of over 4 million questionnaires sent this year, the magazine received responses regarding about 480,000 vehicles," according to Detroit News. If most people reported on two cars (because most families have two or more cars), that would put the response rate at a mere 6%. Even assuming one car per family - a highly dubious assumption - we have a taudry 12% response rate.
CR could work on this with e-mail reminders and follow-up cards. This costs money, but when you have the world's most influential auto reliability study, a little investment in validity makes sense, and could just be a dent in the advertising budget. If nothing else, they could try it and see if they find any of the differences which survey practitioners talk about via spot calls. Given the importance of their findings to those looking at new cars or car breakdown cover for their cars, it would be worthwhile to put some extra effort in.

Differences in the nature of car owners

People who buy different car models may also maintain them differently.
What causes a person to buy a car might also cause them to change the trans fluid frequently, or not at all. This may result in different reliabilities.

Matt Kennell also pointed out, "the sort of people who buy [brand] [may be] the same sort of people who are rigorous about preventive maintenance. This isn't too unreasonable to imagine, as it would be characteristic of the same personality type: someone who goes out and meticulously researches all the cars, and thus seems like he or she would be conscientious about maintenance."

A study on American Honda owners found that most cleaned their garage floors on a regular basis...they appeared to be meticulous about maintenance. Could that affect reliability? (Bob Meyer found this article, from 8/27/97, at the Detroit News).

A related issue: Those who select from a manufacturer may have different driving characteristics than those who select from another manufacturer! Some people drive their cars more aggressively than others, which may wear them out faster.
John Greenstreet: "the CR survey may over/understate the reliability of certain cars because the people that own them are not homogeneous. ... many people will have a subconscious need to justify their purchase of a Japanese auto over of a domestic one, and they could do this by believing superior reliability is the reason they bought it. Because of cognitive dissonance, they would tend to overlook or downplay anything that would attack this mind-set. We do see many people who vehemently defend Japan's cars' reliability and smear that of others."

The oil debacle

In July 1996, Consumer Reports tested motor oils for their readers, but instead of using normal cars, they used New York City taxis, which are normally run 24 hours a day and never allowed to cool down - which means that the most strenuous test of motor oil, the cold start (which causes most engine damage), occured rarely, if ever, during their testing. They found no difference between any of the motor oils, from the cheapest to the best synthetic, and concluded that all “natural

Originally Posted by AC4Three

Why are the results so much different than the JD Power list?

jd-power-dependability-2011.jpg

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2...dy-names-lincoln-best-b/
It's pretty interesting in fact. So check this out
This is off the JD Power site so the wording is made to favour themselves.

"What is the difference between Consumer Reports and JDPower.com?

Consumer Reports is published by a non-profit organization that focuses on testing and reviewing products in various categories. The company has a testing facility in New York and employs experts who review numerous consumer products on a regular basis. By contrast, JDPower.com provides ratings based on “voice of the customer

Originally Posted by kash55

Consumer Reports is published by a non-profit organization that focuses on testing and reviewing products in various categories. The company has a testing facility in New York and employs experts who review numerous consumer products on a regular basis. By contrast, JDPower.com provides ratings based on “voice of the customer

I don't think its fair to compare BRANDS as a whole...individual car models is the best way to determine this.

One car that has the potential to be a dud should not reflect the capability of the entire brand.

This is a vague statistic at the very least...and I'm not trying to be biased towards the more expensive vehicles in saying this.

Originally Posted by kash55

Back
Top Bottom