Damn, Melo Done Goof'd

All im saying is for me personally i would rather have Bill russells legacy than karl malones when it comes to the actual game

Last edited:
Make 20 mil and win a ring coming off the bench

OR

Make 200 mil and never win a ring while being a premier player in the league

Anyone that says they're not taking the extra money is a damn liar 

Thats kinda extreme

Ill rather take 70 and be dwade or bron circa 2010 than have 90 or 100 and be harden or greek freak -present day

Last edited:
Yeah....I mean, Melo could've taken like a 18mil per year deal....and been on a contender when he hit FA a few years back....on a shorter deal, where he'd be eligible to sign a bigger deal like last year if he hit FA with all the TV money.

So he could've potentially got a ring or some more deep playoff success as well as earned some bread down the line. But he chose to be locked in to that long term contract with the knocks. I don't think Melo even has a top 10 annual salary right now.

Bron
Conley
Beal
Derozan
Horford

Offf the top of my head....make more than Melo annually.

But Melo REALLY goofed when he decided to take that extra year on his contract when it was time for extensions after the rookie deal in 2006. Bron, Wade and Bosh took the 3 year deal. Melo took the 4 year extension. He didn't wanna "leave money on the table."

Bron, Wade and Bosh got to hit free agency in 2010. A year before the collective bargaining agreement was set to expire. They were able to lock in contracts under the old CBA. Once Melo saw those guys team up in Miami...he wanted to form his own super team in a "big market"....problem is....there was a looming lockout and uncertainty about contracts going into the 2011 offseason. So Melo forced his way outta Denver....signed under the old CBA for a longer deal...and crippled the knicks franchise.

Everything g that's happened with Melos situation is due to his inability to look at the potential long term...and NOT take the money on the table. Every time he was presented with the opportunity to take the money on the table...he took it. And it hurt his flexibility.

That decision in 2006 basically altered the future of the NBA. Melo could've been on the heat if he took the shorter extension.

Last edited:

OR

Thats kinda extreme

Ill rather take 70 and be dwade or bron than have 90 or 100 and be harden or greek freak
It's extreme on purpose to drive home the point of the relative worthlessness of a ring.

Wade and Bron are top 5 all time in their positions. They're freak generational talents. Everyone would like to be them. 

Bron is a prodigy who was already better than over half of the players to ever play in the NBA before he could legally drink 
laugh.gif

Giannis is like a decade younger 
laugh.gif
 We have no idea how his career will go yet, but if it's not as great is that really a bad thing? 
laugh.gif
 Cmon man 
laugh.gif

That's the problem with so many basketball discussions. We compare everyone to the greatest people to ever touch a basketball and then criticize them for not matching up.

It's extreme on purpose to drive home the point of the relative worthlessness of a ring.

Wade and Bron are top 5 all time in their positions. They're freak generational talents. Everyone would like to be them. 

Bron is a prodigy who was already better than over half of the players to ever play in the NBA before he could legally drink 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
 We have no idea how his career will go yet, but if it's not as great is that really a bad thing? 
laugh.gif
 Cmon man 
laugh.gif

That's the problem with so many basketball discussions. We compare everyone to the greatest people to ever touch a basketball and then criticize them for not matching up.
Ill do you better..I would rather be Kawii than Rusell Westbrook

View media item 2411687

Outta reps but i got u when i re up.

Makes sense. I definitely overlooked that, theyd be spending less on players so total expense would be less.

Yup owners Act like they GAF about winning. The bottom line is profit.

Donald sterling, been finessing the league forever. The Oakland A's. The 49ers made more money being in Santa Clara then they had during the glory years. make money without spending it.

The patriots been doing this too have they not? except theyve been winning with inexpensive players

Last edited:

Donald sterling, been finessing the league forever. The Oakland A's. The 49ers made more money being in Santa Clara then they had during the glory years. make money without spending it.

thats evident with jimmy haslem and my browns..dude finessed Pilot J airlines and now is running my team into the ground even more

And aside from a decent season here and there, Jerry Jones stay eating. The revenue that franchise generates is clearly not indicative of that teams success over the last 20 years.

Last edited:
The patriots been doing this too have they not? except theyve been winning with unexpensive players

The patriots also have one of the highest ticket prices in the league.

The patriots are willing to give up their first round picks for 4th round picks and some cash because 4th round players cost a lot less. And the pats just have a winning formula.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Cmon man 
laugh.gif

Ill do you better..I would rather be Kawii than Rusell Westbrook
That's much better. I'd rather be Kawhi too and have a better team, coach, system and FO, while being a transcendent 2 way player. 

Quote:

OR

David West would disagree...
He didn't turn down 180 million dollars 
laugh.gif

Joe Johnson is the Revis of basketball. Son stays getting checks.

He didn't turn down 180 million dollars :lol:

Correct he didn't, but just based on principle he has turned down a significant amount of money by comparison for the chance to get a championship. It was a pretty big sacrifice considering he probably missed the last window he had in his career to land a nice multi-year multi-million dollar contract.

To some dudes, winning a 'ship takes precedent at some point.

If you are transcendent

Kobe. Lebron. Jordan. Jeter. Brady.

Then yes. Rings.

But money is the bottom line.

Back
Top Bottom