Dave Chappelle on Letterman

Loved the interview. Dave just being Dave here.

Become rich and famous yet maintaining some self respect and integrity. Anything else said is either ignorance or something Dave has already admitted himself.

No need for clown comments

Running away from the most successful show on Comedy Central isn't maintaining self respect of integrity, that's actually the complete opposite. He left a lot of people jobless.  He could've dealt with this in a mature way but instead he burned ALL of his bridges and will never have a show or movie again. 
Self respect and integrity. He left the show due to his principles.

Who says he won't have a show or movie again? Who says he wants either again? Maybe you should rematch the interview or any other time Dave has discussed his life post Chappelle show.

I'm sorry but you gonna need to provide some evidence that the ppl that worked on Chappelle Show are still jobless. Cuz your point is moot if you're just talking about being unemployed temporarily. Those same ppl would've been without a job had the show been canceled or if he dealt with the situation in a "mature" way and ended it before S3 was over.

I don't know how it happened cuz I aint read like 4 pgs in this thread but Kevin Hart isn't funny. Not sure why we talking about him now but son isn't funny so why does he matter?

I got to see Chappelle last year at Spreckels.  I don't know if it was due to my expectations but I wasn't blown away.  It seemed like he lost a step or two, which makes sense considering how long he's been away from the game.  

One thing for sure though is the dude got jacked.  I think he was joking that he could no longer pull off Tyrone Biggums :lol:

This is how stand up is though. I have seen close to 20-30 shows and no one is consistent enough to have a good set all the time. I have seen Chappelle twice and the first time was so damn good but the second was sort of a let down. I have seen Bill Burr as well and he was okay but I know he's better. Also seen Kevin Hart and he wasn't that great either. Carlos Mencia gets tons of crap but the time I saw him, he was awesome. Russell Peters was sort of a let down too but I know he's good.

Anyways....majority of the times, stand up shows are fun regardless, although Whitney Cummings was flat out bad.

Running away from the most successful show on Comedy Central isn't maintaining self respect of integrity, that's actually the complete opposite. He left a lot of people jobless.  He could've dealt with this in a mature way but instead he burned ALL of his bridges and will never have a show or movie again.
So taking the extra $40 mil to essentially become a puppet is mainting a self respect of integrity? If you were in his shoes, why sacrifice years to do something you're not in control of? Sure there's money involved, but if you're financially set for the rest of your life why should you have to maintain yor own integrity by pursuing something that you're no longer in his hands? That's the kind of stuff that messes you up mentally. The bridge has been burned if your ideas and materials are no longer accepted. Sure $40 mill is a whole lot, but if it's something that you don't want to do or can't do, then why do it? Just because it's alot of money? Dave has a different view on life and I'm glad he declined. Sure there's a slight tone of remorse in his voice, however he brought himself to where he is today and he for sure doesn't look like he's struggling one bit. And that's all that matters, just to live day to day, doing what you want to do and Dave is the epitome of that
pimp.gif

So taking the extra $40 mil to essentially become a puppet is mainting a self respect of integrity? If you were in his shoes, why sacrifice years to do something you're not in control of? Sure there's money involved, but if you're financially set for the rest of your life why should you have to maintain yor own integrity by pursuing something that you're no longer in his hands? That's the kind of stuff that messes you up mentally. The bridge has been burned if your ideas and materials are no longer accepted. Sure $40 mill is a whole lot, but if it's something that you don't want to do or can't do, then why do it? Just because it's alot of money? Dave has a different view on life and I'm glad he declined. Sure there's a slight tone of remorse in his voice, however he brought himself to where he is today and he for sure doesn't look like he's struggling one bit. And that's all that matters, just to live day to day, doing what you want to do and Dave is the epitome of that
pimp.gif
Every single actor goes through this, Hollywood loves testing and messing with people to see if they will break. I do feel like half of it was him over thinking and being paranoid and I feel like half of it was the Hollywood dudes messing with him.  My problem isn't that he walked away, it's HOW he did it. Weren't him and Neil mad close? I'm sure if he just sat down with Neil and they had a real heart to heart talk, things would've changed. You think Comedy Central would've let Dave walk if he talked to them? Probably not, because at the end of the day they only care about making money. It just sucks because I bet the dudes he walked away from are still hurting from this and won't let it go. They will go out of their way to make sure Dave never gets a show on T.V again.

so you've just decided to completely disregard his reason for leaving and create your own idea of what happened 

without giving any credence to his version

Neil threw Dave under the bus. He said Dave 'wasn't being himself' when asked where Dave was. Neil a [garden tool] in my book. Plus, his stand up special wasn't funny, they couldn't even edit in a laugh track for that wack ish.

And before you say I'm hating, go watch it, people werent laughing.

Last edited:
Kevin represents nothing of a black comic, so why is he the comedic role in all our recent movies?

You seen him put into ANY movies geared towards other culture crowds? NO.

They gonna use his Lil *** to sell until he ain't worth a ****. When I say they I mean HollyWood.

Because I can't turn on my TV without seeing that *****. Tired of this Kevin Hart and his token black dude act
If that's the case why isn't his name brought up in every thread on the first pg? :lol: I just don't see the connection from Dave Chappelle popping up on tv in an interview with Letterman has to do with Kevin Hart of all ppl.

Is it really just cuz they're black and comedians and did movies/tv?
Kevin represents nothing of a black comic, so why is he the comedic role in all our recent movies?

You seen him put into ANY movies geared towards other culture crowds? NO.

They gonna use his Lil *** to sell until he ain't worth a ****. When I say they I mean HollyWood.
I'm sorry but the first problem for the most part is watching movies with Kevin Hart in them. I haven't come across a movie I've seen him in that I'd be interested in seeing. So I wouldn't even get to talking about him representing a black comic or not. He's just a black comedian I don't see why he now has to represent all of them.

The reason he's in a lot of movies or on tv is cuz his comedies tend to make money. That's it. It's never really deeper than the money.

Last edited:
Because I can't turn on my TV without seeing that *****. Tired of this Kevin Hart and his token black dude act
If that's the case why isn't his name brought up in every thread on the first pg? :lol: I just don't see the connection from Dave Chappelle popping up on tv in an interview with Letterman has to do with Kevin Hart of all ppl.

Is it really just cuz they're black and comedians and did movies/tv?

I wasn't the one who brought his name up, just venting some frustration. And his name has been mentioned in several threads on the front page

Dave is a living legend. Dude is so respected among his peers. Dude is the comedians comedian.

Dave is a living legend. Dude is so respected among his peers. Dude is the comedians comedian.

Im tryna remember.. when was the moment Dave became great though? Like he was just another dude in minor roles in movies.. when did he become a contender for the goat? Which special?

Im tryna remember.. when was the moment Dave became great though? Like he was just another dude in minor roles in movies.. when did he become a contender for the goat? Which special?

Imo... The very fist Chappelle Show... I don't think I've ever laughed out loud Tha much...

Killing Me Softly. Great stand up show but honestly still not the best but great nonetheless. His fame really did kick in after his show though. All the movies he was in, he was just a side character and not even funny.

And people caught wind of his show at the end of the 1st season and definitely the 2nd season.

Last edited:

I'm gonna say that the special that solidified his "legend" status was For What It's Worth, but he really started gaining steam after the 2nd season of Chappelle's Show.  

P.S.: Kevin Hart's name isn't even worthy of being mentioned in a thread about Dave.  Kevin Hart will never reach Dave's status, nor will he ever be as respected.

Killing Me Softly. Great stand up show but honestly still not the best but great nonetheless. His fame really did kick in after his show though. All the movies he was in, he was just a side character and not even funny.

And people caught wind of his show at the end of the 1st season and definitely the 2nd season.

He was great in Half Baked.. And dirty deeds too...

when did he become a contender for the goat?
Contender for goat? How did you jump to this from him just being highly respected by his peers. Nobody in their right mind and knows anything about comedy would utter Dave and goat in the same breath. Richard Pryor is considered the goat in everyone's opinion who matters. Dave himself has reiterated this many times.

Back
Top Bottom