Dave Chappelle on Letterman

Im tryna remember.. when was the moment Dave became great though? Like he was just another dude in minor roles in movies.. when did he become a contender for the goat? Which special?
I think his status was boosted after he left during his "prime"

It's kinda the same with other media figures that leave when their hitting their "prime" in the spotlight.

What could have been had he stayed on?

A good comparison would be the Boondocks. The show had 2 great seasons, came back for 3rd and it was left at that, but the fans wanted more.

The problem is that the Boondocks actually came back for a 4th season and it's just not good.

Fans didn't get to see Dave and other famous people start to fall off or decline so they are still viewed as they were before they left in their "prime" or whatever.

Last edited:
when did he become a contender for the goat?
Contender for goat? How did you jump to this from him just being highly respected by his peers. Nobody in their right mind and knows anything about comedy would utter Dave and goat in the same breath. Richard Pryor is considered the goat in everyone's opinion who matters. Dave himself has reiterated this many times.
Pretty much this.

Dave may be considered one of the best/greats living doing it now but no GOAT.

Contender for goat? How did you jump to this from him just being highly respected by his peers. Nobody in their right mind and knows anything about comedy would utter Dave and goat in the same breath. Richard Pryor is considered the goat in everyone's opinion who matters. Dave himself has reiterated this many times.
Lets not forget George Carlin either 

hes definitely up there

Lets not forget George Carlin either 

hes definitely up there
13 dirty words.... Dude pretty much came up with half the degrading raunchy words we still use for penis, vagina, oral sex, and anal.... Plus he was introverted and had a see things for what they were....he was a crude rude intellectual dude.

I don't think Dave is a comedian's comedian or a legend. I don't think I've ever heard any comedian say that about him. He ended his run too prematurely but he definitely was well on his way up. Patrice definitely had more respect among stand up comedians than Dave. 

Last edited:

I don't think Dave is a comedian's comedian or a legend. I don't think I've ever heard any comedian say that about him. He ended his run too prematurely but he definitely was well on his way up. Patrice definitely had more respect among stand up comedians than Dave. 
I'll take Chris Rock's word for it over yours... Read the full article Mr. Fongsterr originally posted. 

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201406/dave-chappelle

FTR - I prefer Rock's standup, and in my opinion what solidified Chappelle as a Legend was the way he up and left the spotlight with his dignity intact, like a straight up G. The aura that that move created boosted his fame like nothing else he could have done. 

Last edited:
No, no, listen to offwhitewhite, he is comedy authority. His posts crack me up.
It's just my opinion, you're free to disagree without being a tool. I like Chappelle, I have all the seasons on DVD and went to a few of his shows at the cellar. I just think he's a tad bit overrated. 

For me Chappelle Show is the funniest sketch comedy show to ever be put on TV, even over In Living Color. I mean every skit was hilarious and quotable and just flat out incredibly written. He's also a great stand up comedian. Not GOAT for sure, but dude is great. It's just the way it all ended has tarnished him from here on out. It was taken from us so abruptly, but not because of some big tragedy. If he would have died right before season 3 he would be WAY more revered.

To each his own, but Chapelles Show did not age well. A lot of comedy was juvenile.

To each his own, but Chapelles Show did not age well. A lot of comedy was juvenile.

People like to pretend it does though. People seem to forget all of the bad sketches.

Last edited:
i met dave chappelle in seattle last october. it was dope. we chilled, a group of friends and I, even smoked a cigarett with him. We were staying in a hotel for a friends bday, and when we were in the lobby at the bar, hotel1000 , and whos tour bus should pull up at the perfect time?! dave chappelle. talked to him about traveling and just life. was a very admirable and down to earth guy.

He used to be on Conan's 1230 show all the time. I think him and Marc Maron were called in when someone bailed on them. The last time I saw him live he was up for like 3 hours just saying whatever, It was interesting but it wasn't great. I'm sure a tight new hour would be really good from him but I don't even think he cares to do that. I like Louis CK and Hannibal Buress but different strokes for different folks. Michael Che and Jerrod Carmichael I'm starting to like too.

Bad sketches? Honestly, ill wait.

I know comedy is subjected and all, but the political/racial/social humor was so on point I couldn't see how people couldn't like it, unless they hit to close to home. Clayton Bigsby? Rick James?Prince? Like come on, Racial draft? Roots? PLAYERS BALL?!?!?! 'Rosy O donnell looks like she wears panties with ____holes on them.'

i met dave chappelle in seattle last october. it was dope. we chilled, a group of friends and I, even smoked a cigarett with him. We were staying in a hotel for a friends bday, and when we were in the lobby at the bar, hotel1000 , and whos tour bus should pull up at the perfect time?! dave chappelle. talked to him about traveling and just life. was a very admirable and down to earth guy.

I met him in a bar in Miami two years ago. Just my group of 5 friends, him and his friend, and two ladies. I think he saw us staring when we realized who was over there and came up to us and said "fellas whats up, just please no pictures" :lol:. Guess he was still kind low key there. We all pounded him up and my friend gave him a light for a cigarette and that was that. Later in the night as we were leaving he was outside in front on an outdoor couch. We sparked a doobie and tried to get him to get on it with us but he kindly declined. Then we got told to walk down the block. Great guy though

Back
Top Bottom