DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Catching some now before I head to bed, bruh it even has humor. Minor details where the dialogue makes sense and the scenes connect. The hell happened on that cutting floor :lol:.

OK so it's no wonder why Schnepp who despised the movie completely looks at the Ultimate Cut as pretty damn good. I know I'm repeating everybody who's already discussed it but it's really night and day. Off the top of my head here's what was done that improves the movie:

Provided more context for Superman's alleged murders in Africa--in the theatrical release, we're all like "why the **** would they blame him for killing people with bullets"--what happens is they ended up cutting a scene where they dump a huge amount of the bodies in a pile and torch them, and then torch some of the others scattered around. It looks like Superman flew in and just washed everybody. This was a huge plothole to me and it was resolved nicely.

It turns out the African woman who claimed her family was murdered by Supes was a LexCorp plant. Don't want to ruin too much of what happens there but it inadvertently brought the lulz :lol:

People complained about Superman not seeing the bomb, but the movie explains it was lined with lead, which most people guessed.

A lot of people complained about Clark's lack of lines, well say no more. There's plenty of lines, Clark being a reporter, and most importantly his investigation of the Batman provides more motivation for the conflict, especially regarding the "being branded is a death sentence" situation.

Lois Lane's subplot with the bullet is remarkably less stupid because we understand that she's wondering why the hell there's a bullet just sitting around at the site of an alleged Superman heat vision massacre.

Lex Luthor's plot to kill Superman (up until Doomsday but I'll get into that later) is very solid and airtight.

Snyder is beast in the cinematography and visuals game still

Now, there are still issues that are just a result of the C+ script and no amount of editing can fix, and they mostly revolve around the third act:

Like I said, Lex's plan works and is great, RIGHT UP UNTIL Doomsday. Actually, we get a little more of Lex's motivation for wanting Superman dead, but it's not enough. A little bit of the classic "Lex hates the idea of a god-like superhuman", but it's not fleshed out enough. Just a poorly written character overall. I still like Jesse's performance, I just prefer a little less jitters next time.

Batman and Superman's 20 minute fight to the death over a misunderstanding is still ridiculously stupid. LIKE BRUH JUST TELL HIM LEX HAS YOUR MOM. WHY THE **** DID YOU SHOVE HIM 20 FEET AWAY FOR

"Martha..." Still not feeling that.

There's still no context as to why Lex released Doomsday. Like I could understand after realizing your plot failed and doing it as a last resort but it seems like he was in the process of releasing him even as Bats and Supes were battling....wut? :rofl:

So I'm not sure why the studio pushed so hard to release that butchered theatrical cut when people would have sat in the theater for that 3 hour movie, especially now knowing it would have gotten a good reception/word of mouth. Just looking back on it the original cut is just a horrible movie. The Ultimate Cut is a good, damn great flick.

Still cautiously optimistic about JL. Just need an airtight script. And I really hope Hans Zimmer comes back. I think this was the best score of any CBM aside from Spidey 1 and 2.

All of this. It's like night and day. The movie still has it's issues but this version is what we should have seen from the jump.

Bae looking great. Wonder who will play her in the pron parody.
I nominate Aidra Fox.

She would get an audition.

740full-my-profile.jpg

D6B_8113_-_Aidra_Fox_(16245879437).jpg

Last edited:
It's a better movie, but it's not that drastic for the way folks are acting. Zack and his team are still limited in scope.

I think it's very drastic. "Night and Day" is the perfect term to describe the Batman and Superman recut :lol:

A lot of the negatives and issues that are still present now come across as a definite result of the shaky script. Still major problems in Act 3. Martha is and will always be trash. Superman and Batman's battle is flimsy as hell and it's sad because the first two acts of the Ultimate cut do such an awesome job of planting the seeds of the conflict, especially by giving us more of who Clark is.

I'll say this now: Lex's PLAN is infinitely superior to Zemo's PLAN in Civil War because it's consistent and doesn't depend on random *** contrivances. You understand completely that every action he takes is working towards the end result of Batman and Superman having a fundamental disagreement. You see the strings of the puppet master, especially when they give him and his underlings a bunch of extra little scenes that make all the difference. Little things like Snyder making sure to show us that both Clark and Bruce were invited to Lex's party seemingly out of nowhere, and Lex's goons making sure dude gets shanked in prison, make all the difference. It's clear Lex knew EVERYBODY'S identity from jump, even if I don't like the idea of Lex Luthor knowing Clark is Superman.

That said, Lex the CHARACTER was still absolutely buns. You get a little more of his reasoning, but it's not enough to satisfy the reason that he's willing to murder so many innocent people in order to have Superman defeated. And again there's no context to Doomsday at all. To dude who said that it could be a part of his communion with Steppenwolf, there's no hint of that really. It's just a random reason to have a giant monster everyone can fight. Whack. They should have spent the third act washing Lex in his battlesuit.

Again, Superman literally has no reason in the universe to get physical with Batman in Act 3. "He has my mom" could have saved all of us a whole lot of eye-rolling. But because Clark is fleshed out so well in Act 1, you actually end up invested in him and you feel the sacrifice a bit more. Although killing him in his second movie was also a dumb idea. :lol:

I think the poor script is because of the late-game rewrites. The whole 3rd act just seems random and tacked on.

The movie gets good again during the resolution, the funeral/Bruce at the cemetary/Bats and Lex. To the point I got shivers on my spine when Bruce went "just a feeling"...and the music gets mad ominous and then we think back to what he heard from Lex and his visions.

This movie to me reinforces my belief that if you give Snyder a good script he'll flourish. With Geoff Johns, Ben Affleck (who as an artist will refuse to attach himself to another ****show) Terrio, and Snyder at the helm creatively I'm excited for JL.

Last edited:
looking forward to the bluray. the movie was so convoluted i fell asleep at the theater TWICE, something i havent done since the first LoTR.

Yeah there's no question that Lex knows who all 3 are and why he invited them. It feels like the theatrical version cut random words out of the middle of sentences. Lois does more, Perry does more etc etc. I guess you're right, the released version was a hack job. Zack gets a reprieve, he stayed in his lane and did what he does, but the studio and story dealt him a bad hand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom