DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

Just purchased the Ultimate Edition; setting it up on my Roku right now

Will be back in this thread with a long review in about 4 hours
laugh.gif

OK so it's no wonder why Schnepp who despised the movie completely looks at the Ultimate Cut as pretty damn good. I know I'm repeating everybody who's already discussed it but it's really night and day. Off the top of my head here's what was done that improves the movie:

Provided more context for Superman's alleged murders in Africa--in the theatrical release, we're all like "why the **** would they blame him for killing people with bullets"--what happens is they ended up cutting a scene where they dump a huge amount of the bodies in a pile and torch them, and then torch some of the others scattered around. It looks like Superman flew in and just washed everybody. This was a huge plothole to me and it was resolved nicely.

It turns out the African woman who claimed her family was murdered by Supes was a LexCorp plant. Don't want to ruin too much of what happens there but it inadvertently brought the lulz
laugh.gif

People complained about Superman not seeing the bomb, but the movie explains it was lined with lead, which most people guessed.

A lot of people complained about Clark's lack of lines, well say no more. There's plenty of lines, Clark being a reporter, and most importantly his investigation of the Batman provides more motivation for the conflict, especially regarding the "being branded is a death sentence" situation.

Lois Lane's subplot with the bullet is remarkably less stupid because we understand that she's wondering why the hell there's a bullet just sitting around at the site of an alleged Superman heat vision massacre.

Lex Luthor's plot to kill Superman (up until Doomsday but I'll get into that later) is very solid and airtight.

Snyder is beast in the cinematography and visuals game still

Now, there are still issues that are just a result of the C+ script and no amount of editing can fix, and they mostly revolve around the third act:

Like I said, Lex's plan works and is great, RIGHT UP UNTIL Doomsday. Actually, we get a little more of Lex's motivation for wanting Superman dead, but it's not enough. A little bit of the classic "Lex hates the idea of a god-like superhuman", but it's not fleshed out enough. Just a poorly written character overall. I still like Jesse's performance, I just prefer a little less jitters next time.

Batman and Superman's 20 minute fight to the death over a misunderstanding is still ridiculously stupid. LIKE BRUH JUST TELL HIM LEX HAS YOUR MOM. WHY THE **** DID YOU SHOVE HIM 20 FEET AWAY FOR

"Martha..." Still not feeling that.

There's still no context as to why Lex released Doomsday. Like I could understand after realizing your plot failed and doing it as a last resort but it seems like he was in the process of releasing him even as Bats and Supes were battling....wut?
roll.gif

So I'm not sure why the studio pushed so hard to release that butchered theatrical cut when people would have sat in the theater for that 3 hour movie, especially now knowing it would have gotten a good reception/word of mouth. Just looking back on it the original cut is just a horrible movie. The Ultimate Cut is a good, damn great flick.

Still cautiously optimistic about JL. Just need an airtight script. And I really hope Hans Zimmer comes back. I think this was the best score of any CBM aside from Spidey 1 and 2.

Interested in what Seamanup and Osh Kosh Bosh have to say about this cut.

Last edited:
Waiting for the Blu Ray...but I'm not sure if I can wait that long lol

Interested to see if the people who didn't like it will like this version more...Schnepp doing a big flip is a great sign.

To Frosty's point about feeling bad for Snyder, I get it but Snyder should have already known they would cut it to 2.5 hours and should have prepared for it prior to post...this guy did the same thing with Watchmen

My understanding to the whole Doomsday thing was Lex communicating with the ship/Stepphenwolf/Darkseid....not sure if it was meant to be way or portrayed that way in the ultimate edition

I'm going to buy the Blu-ray. I can't wait! It's cool that people who were genuinely excited for BVS and didn't like the theatrical like this cut. I like BVS and my major quarrel was the flow and this seems to rectify that. I don't know if this cut will appeal to the most outspoken haters of it though.

And i'm here for all of it. I been saying from day 1 that WB is to blame and not Snyder.  

Idk dude...If Snyder really did have full control then he should have had a better theatrical cut prior to even shooting the movie. Sure, he may have got his legs cut off after production from WB, but a rough estimate on run time should have been discussed at some point prior to shooting

Last edited:
I don't know if this cut will appeal to the most outspoken haters of it though.
Schnepp was the biggest BvS hater who was a public figure and he's been completely turned to the dark side after seeing the new cut. He literally said most of the negatives are still there but are minor complaints due to the smoothness of the plot and excellent characterization.

Dude said "I'm glad I got to see it in the theater".

Last edited:
Schnepp was the biggest BvS hater who was a public figure and he's been completely turned to the dark side after seeing the new cut. He literally said most of the negatives are still there but are minor complaints due to the smoothness of the plot and excellent characterization.

Dude said "I'm glad I got to see it in the theater".

People online are apologizing to Zack Snyder :rofl: this is delicious
And i'm here for all of it. I been saying from day 1 that WB is to blame and not Snyder.

I'm just saying. Don't be surprised if people still don't like BVS or Zack Snyder. Even after watching the ultimate cut. :\

hmmm wonder if i should buy digital or get the blu ray for 5 bucks more

bluray you get a digital copy anyways

Back
Top Bottom