DC Studios THREAD - GunnVerse Begins - Chapter ONE: Gods & Monsters

I know of orion and the gremlin looking guy, kalibak.
Your right. Desad was his right hand man, kalibak was his son. But from what I understand, isn't Orion Darkseid's biological son? Because he and Highfather exchanged sons as part of a peace treaty.

Both Kalibak and Orion are Darkseid's biological children and both appeared in Superman and Justice League. Correct on Orion being traded to Highfather for Scott Free.

Y'all don't think the character's going to change with the shaving of his head? I think the intention was for us to go along for the ride as Lex goes from what he was to the supervillain he becomes.

The way he played it was so bad, though. Only good moment was the Jolly Rancher.:lol:

I'm hopeful that going forward he isn't hopping and giggling all movie.

Stop it. :lol: That was probably the moment where a lot of people realized they were in for a bad time.
I was half serious. that wasn't a good dramatic moment or anything, just the only time I chuckled because of how ridiculous it was.:lol:

Zoom was a bad mofo though. Before he was unmasked, but even after they had dude murking his own damn self multiple times. Vicious.

Flash was cool but season 2 got confusing at some point. Dont think I finished after the mid season.

Character Details Have Been Released. May be spoilery to some so read at your own discretion.

Deadshot

“I mean Deadshot’s a no-brainer, because he’s just a core element of that team… he’s a supervillain. I mean, he’s a bad guy. They’re all bad guys, that’s the beauty of this… I think Will’s incredibly versatile and can handle any kind of role you throw at him. He’s definitely… it’s funny because none of the normal words apply. I wouldn’t say he’s the father figure of the team, because it’s like herding cats. They don’t care. But he definitely has that the leadership quality, and it’s a great character for him.”

Harley Quinn

“With Margot, you know, [her homework was] books about psychopathology. She’s supposed to be a psychiatrist, she’s a trained person. Harley is this kid who grew up in Brooklyn, poor family, her dad was in and out of prison, and all this stuff. So these are all layers to research, and what is the core of this character, and then how do you build up from there? So she should understand all these things. I mean she went to hospitals and things like that, everybody got really deep into their work.”

“She’s funny, she’s sexy, she’s crazy. The spectrum in which she gets to go through the movie gives her a lot of shapes and a lot of colors and… unpredictability is probably the best word to encapsulate what this character is. And that’s one of the great things about her, because you don’t know what she’s going to do from one moment to the next. Whatever it is, it’s totally true to who she is because she really does have all those shades within the character itself.”

COLONEL RICK FLAG

“Joel Kinnaman is a great actor… being really the ‘straight man’ of this group and the kind of wrangling he has to do. He, like the rest of the Squad, doesn’t necessarily want to be here. But he works for Amanda Waller, which means he has to do whatever Amanda Waller says. So not necessarily an A-level assignment on the surface, but he’s playing the parent to the sort of class of clowns and the unruly kids, and Joel plays it beautifully. He’s just got an incredible presence and has to deal with each of them in their own way… He has to be able to manage all those relationships and personalities… in a way that ultimately will get the job done, which makes his job very difficult.”

“He did a ton of training. He really did. David, obviously, coming from a military background, it was very important for him to get the military aspects of Flag’s character correct, and obviously the other military aspects in the movie. So we had real Navy SEALs, that are actually in the film as well, that worked with Joel and did a full immersion for a few nights in the middle of nowhere. Sleeping out in the cold, and not sleeping, and working out every day.”

“With Joel, he’s playing like a Tier-1 crew military officer, you know, in the special forces community so I really loaded him up with material that could kind of give an understanding of the mindset and lifestyle… There’s this book by Charlie Beckwith about Delta Force, a great, great book and really inspirational… about the constitution of this sort of person."

Boomerang

“It is a lot of fun to see Boomerang, Captain Boomerang… who is sort of the most villainous of all these characters. And it’s just been a blast creating this absolutely kinetic, out of control force of nature with Jai. You know the character paradigms – he’s like ‘Evil Chaotic’.”

“This character is like… You can just look at him, and I’m sure the way you would describe him without me telling you what he does in the movie would probably be very close to what I’m about to say. He is a wise ***. He’s kind of a punk, to a certain extent and he’s got an incredible wise cracking sense of humor. But at the same time, he is equally dangerous, and has these very dangerous boomerangs… He’s just a fun character that shakes things up and also has a level of unpredictability as well.”

“I think it is somewhat of an amalgamation [of the comic versions of Boomerang], is probably the fairest thing to say. I was curious about that… but we haven’t set something up that we are bound by. David and I had a discussion about that early on. So, who knows? Within this property, I guess that leaves room and freedom, in a sense, to kind of go either way. But at this stage it is not necessarily specified.”

Enchantress

“Yeah. Cara Delevingne, Enchantress. I think this is, you know, it’s a little bit of a different Enchantress look than the comics, of course, but Cara’s obviously… she was our first choice for the role and I think it makes a lot of sense. She plays both June Moon and Enchantress in the movie. Both looks are extremely different, of course. But this was a look that we were all really excited about. I think it really embodies her character in the movie and it’s something different, unique.”

“RS: Once we decided, and David felt that the Enchantress should be part of the movie… you’re embracing what comes along with her. It just sort of naturally happened…  and as soon as David said ‘I want her to be a part of the movie,’ the qualities and the attributes and the abilities that she has come along with her.”

“AH: It is [an evolution]. And I think… she is a witch. Sorcerer’s another way to describe her, but at the end of the day she’s a witch, and I think, what would a contemporary modern-day witch look like? And so, for us I think trying to sort of take her old look… and ‘contemporize’ it and make it a little bit darker and a little bit more witch-like, I think. A little more grounded, a little more real. So this is what we came up with.”

Joker

“He’s a business man. He’s crazy of course, and he kills people, but… he’s running a business. If you could imagine the head of any successful corporation, he runs his business that way. He just happens to be a psychopath. He’s very, very conscientious of his business and he’s also very conscientious of the way he dresses. Style is a really big part of this Joker. It would be important to him to know what next year’s Prada would be like because he may want to have it a year before everybody else.”

“I think that’s the biggest thing with David, is about ‘chasing the real’ and what that means in David’s world, so that’s been a big journey and a very organic one… When I first met him he wanted a very gritty, urban world. That if you think of all the Suicide Squad related in some way in this underworld, in this urban kind of environment, then Joker and Harley are like King and Queen of that.”

Katana

“It helps a lot when you know the backstory of her character because… in this movie I don’t think you see much of that, but bringing that and knowing that at the back of my mind really helps with playing the character… Not only just the mental part in doing the research behind the character in terms of comics, but also physically. Like, looking the part and also being able to do all the stunts.”

“She’s the protector of Rick Flag. So I’d like to think she’s still one of the only characters that’s so-called ‘good’ or, you know, heroic. She has her own moral code, and she has… it’s a Japanese word called giri-ninjo which is… I don’t know the technical meaning of that so you can look it up [laughs]. But you know, her oath to give back to who she owes it to. And I think for this movie it’s Rick Flag. Along with Amanda Waller… but who knows what she’s thinking.”

“She’s a character of few words. Her entrance into the movie is quite cool, in the way she is introduced to everybody and to us… She’s definitely a mysterious character, but we’re not suppressing anything that the character from the canon would’ve brought… the whole story with the Soultaker and how her dead husband is trapped in the sword, and she speaks to it. It’s really, I have to say, emotional. It’s really wonderful.”

Killer Kroc

“He’s a boy that’s been tortured, humiliated, ostracized, ridiculed… Waylon Jones, his backstory in the comics. Obviously, in my research that’s what I used to kind of establish who Waylon was as an adult. But definitely all of that….because ultimately – and any of the characters you will notice, but ultimately in Croc – he just wants to be loved. But because he’s been ostracized, he’s made that work for him.”

“David was very insistent on making it very real… He’s not crocodile, he’s a man. So we wanted to show that in as many aspects as we could, from the skin tone, to not using [contact] lenses, and even to his attire… in the world of Gotham, this is a super villain that was really going toe to toe with Batman and about to take over. After we really analyze and evaluate that history, it was like, “Well, he wouldn’t really just be hiding simply under there depressed.” He’s owning that world… It was very important for David and I to have him celebrate that world and literally reign in the sewer. That is his kingdom, the underground.”

Diablo

“RS: Jay’s a fantastic actor and goes through a pretty amazing transformation and it’s a great character. He’s got obviously his own [superpowered] abilities and even just looking at the design of his jacket was something that was very, very particular about what David wanted. David having grown up in East LA and all the details, from the jacket design to the tattoos…

“AH: …Inspired by what the logos [of real L.A. gangs] look like, and how they wear things. It’s all, I mean everything about it, his tattoos, and his logo, even the 213 on his hand for the East LA area code, it’s all very real.”

Slipknot

“Adam Beach. One of the nicest human beings on planet Earth. Slipknot is one of those characters not a lot of people know about, but he is cool. He’s got some serious abilities and I think his outfit, which I think took a little bit of back and forth to figure out what he was going to look like because I think his outfit in the comics is pretty goofy. It really is. We knew we had to stay away from that and figure out a contemporary, cool version of that. I think this was it. I think everything that he wears and he uses is very utilitarian. It’s all useful and you get to see him use it and how he uses it, and he’s a very cool character. Mysterious character. You don’t know a lot about him.”

Amanda Waller

“What’s so cool about [Viola Davis] is, because she’s so nice and so friendly and so warm and giving, that when she has to play Amanda it’s like you watch another person come out of nowhere. The best way I can put it, she’s just a bad motherf***er. I mean, honestly, you just do not want to cross Amanda Waller.

“As bad as she may be, and I say the word ‘bad’ because she’s forcing people against their will, she also has a very distinct point of view and she’s doing it for what, in her mind, is the right reason. Which is a unique take on… I hate to say bad guy, but she’s a great character that is so counterpoint to the rest of the cast. You don’t f*** with her because the consequences are worse than what she was asking you to do.”

http://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-movie-characters-explained

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tay1  

Joker

He’s very, very conscientious of his business and he’s also very conscientious of the way he dresses. Style is a really big part of this Joker. It would be important to him to know what next year’s Prada would be like because he may want to have it a year before everybody else.”
I love Pimp Joker. It's a great way to distinguish from Ledger's greasy/unhygenic Joker.

Last edited:
The character descriptions has me more excited than I was. The trailers gave off a corny vibe to me. But I'm not worried about the Joker at all. Most excited to see him. Probably wont ever be sold on Willshot.

Watching J.K. Simmons in this MLB celeb game and he doesn't look as jacked as that Twitter photo. He looks basically as big as he was in Whiplash.

Slipknot is barely in the trailers and promotional material. He's always been the most likely candidate to catch an early fade in SS. Someone has to get faded so the rest of the squad knows the severity of the situation.

I hope no one hoped the guy who's power is being good with rope was going to live through the movie. :lol:

"Adam is such a nice guy" they apologizing to the actor for how little he's in the movie
laugh.gif
Never saw him in any of the TV spots, so you know he's catching the L immediately when they land down in the city.

Never saw him in any of the TV spots, so you know he's catching the L immediately when they land down in the city.

The shot of him shooting his rope to go up the bulidng is him escaping, boom they blow his head off :lol:

I like Adam beach dude is a under rated actor but man he caught the short straw.

Saw some **** that Michael Pena was Ayers choice for Diablo ( he worked with end of watch and fury) but his Marvel contract prevented him. Pena been salty every since with rumors Diablo gonna be in the sequels.

The shot of him shooting his rope to go up the bulidng is him escaping, boom they blow his head off
laugh.gif

I like Adam beach dude is a under rated actor but man he caught the short straw.

Saw some **** that Michael Pena was Ayers choice for Diablo ( he worked with end of watch and fury) but his Marvel contract prevented him. Pena been salty every since with rumors Diablo gonna be in the sequels.
To be fair, Pena probably saw the "safer" route with Marvel.

Still, he deserves better than being Scott Lang's goofy sidekick.

To be fair, Pena probably saw the "safer" route with Marvel.

Still, he deserves better than being Scott Lang's goofy sidekick.

Hindsight is always 20/20'for sure, but seriously Idris, Pena, and Bobby Cannavle are too good of actors to be side characters.

Pena though hurts, Idris at least got powers :lol:

Marvel won't let Idris go because they know he'll flourish elsewhere. And they can't cast him in their universe as anyone else (although they should).

They really goofed casting him as Hymen-dall though.

String is still in good shape and the John Stewart role will be half CG like Iron Man and RDJ is like 50.

Let's get Idris Elba for John, Jake Gyllenhaal for Hal, and lemme think about Guy and Kyle.

Marvel won't let Idris go because they know he'll flourish elsewhere. And they can't cast him in their universe as anyone else (although they should).

They really goofed casting him as Hymen-dall though.
I expect after IW he's being recast.

Also if Idris wants to leave he can after his contract is up. Marvel can't stop that. Given the character he's playing I'm not sure he signed some 9 movie contract like the rest. I almost feel like he re-upped at some point.

Back
Top Bottom