Delete.

With the emergence of the other thread, if the mods don't mind, this can/should be deleted.

1st
pimp.gif

Yes I realize we need a point guard, but IMO, Monta at point with added rebounding would be better for this team than a new point guard and playing small.

Well, all I know is, we'd still need at least a better back up than CJ Watson.

Yes, I hate CJ, and don't think he's very good. I will concede that, when he stopped shooting in volume, he looked much better.

I don't want PG by association, nor do I want that position to be a revolving door either.

Originally Posted by daprescription

[h1]Warriors season mercifully ends[/h1]

Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, April 16, 2009

(04-16) 04:00 PDT Phoenix - --

As Golden State's season came to a merciful eWnd here Wednesday night, its drastic dip on the relevancy meter could not have been on fuller display.

Not only did these Warriors bear almost no resemblance to the "We Believe" team of two years ago, but they were barely a shadow of last season's 48-win squad.

Their injured principals - Stephen Jackson, Monta Ellis, Corey Maggette and Jamal Crawford - were not around.

The locker room, once a hub of music and wise-cracking, was silent and nearly empty an hour before tip-off.

An unheralded cast of C.J. Watson, Kelenna Azubuike and rookies Anthony Morrow and Anthony Randolph - with assistant Keith Smart again given the coaching reins- was left to close out a miserable season with a 117-113 loss to the Suns.

It was only fitting, then, that 23-year-old Andris Biedrins was the team's unofficial spokesman. The longest-tenured Warrior at five years, he was the only player qualified to reflect on Golden State's rise-and-fall - how quickly it all happened, and hopefully, how quickly order will be restored.

"I've kind of been in this situation before my first two years, (when) we had a lot of bumps in the road," Biedrins said. "But eventually, we'll get out of it because we have a great team.

"I think next year will be a really good opportunity for us to finally prove to ourselves and our fans that we're a much better team than we were having all these injuries."

A season that began with Baron Davis bolting and Monta Ellis crashing a moped, followed by countless injuries and in-fighting, officially ended Wednesday with a 29-53 record, the Warriors worst since going 21-61 during the 2001-02 season.

As Jackson said last week, all Golden State can do is take this season for what it was worth, and the biggest gains were clearly in the development of its youngsters.

Morrow became the first Warrior to lead the NBA in three-point shooting, hitting three more in five attempts en route to a game-high 33 points and 12 rebounds.

Second-year guard Watson set another career-high with 12 assists to go along with 20 points.

And forward Randolph added 14 points and eight rebounds in 35 minutes. Yet for all the electrifying blocks and thunderous dunks he's delivered this season, Randolph says he's most proud of something he didn't do this year: Go south after getting iced out by head coach Don Nelson and the coaching staff.

"I could've handled it a lot of different ways, and it could've ended up way worse than it was." said Randolph, who cited communication as the biggest key to his turnaround.

"You tell me what to do, I'll do it, like you're seeing toward the end of the season. All I needed was somebody to tell me what I had to do, what not to do, or what to work up to."

For the Warriors, that's getting back to the playoffs - with whatever cast of players returns next season after Nelson and Jackson predicted a summer of change.

"There's nothing guaranteed here," Biedrins said when asked if he thought he'd be back. "You can't be 100 percent sure. But I'm pretty positive that I'll be here."

[h3]Numbers Game[/h3] [h3]2[/h3]
Nonplayoff teams in NBA history with at least 46 victories ('08-09 Suns, '07-08 Warriors)
[h3]29[/h3]
Lowest Warriors win total since 2001-02
[h3]79[/h3]
Most games played by a Warrior (Ronny Turiaf)

Fixing the Golden State Warriors

spacer.gif

By: Travis Heath Last Updated: 4/16/09 12:25 AM ET | 611 times read

Adjust font size:

Losing your star point guard to free agency and then losing the young stud who was supposed to replace him for the first three months of the season as a result of an ankle injury after an ATV accident isn't exactly a recipe for success in the NBA. As such, it's not surprising the Golden State Warriors finished with one of the worst records in the Western Conference this season.
Even despite Golden State's struggles, though, the team has plenty of young talent and will get a lottery pick in June's NBA Draft. Will it be enough for the Warriors to interject themselves into the Playoff conversation next season?

MORE BY TRAVIS HEATH

spacer.gif

Nuggets Clinch NW Division Title: The Denver Nuggets clinched the NBA's Northwest Division title with their...
J.R. Smith Sets Team Record: Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith put on his most impressive shooting...
5 Things We Learned In The NBA This Week: A whirlwind six months for Allen Iverson... The best bargain in the NBA... ...

View Travis Heath Archive
Let's take a look.
What Went Wrong: Monta Ellis' injury and subsequent suspension after signing a six-year and $66 million set the wrong tone for Golden State's season. It was absolutely the worst thing that could have happened to Golden State after Baron Davis returned home to Los Angeles after opting out of his deal with the Warriors.

Ellis was far from the only problem, though. Al Harrington and head coach Don Nelson butted heads early in the year, which led to Harrington demanding a trade. This certainly wasn't great for Golden State's chemistry early in the year, either.

As the year progressed, the Warriors had a hard time staying healthy. Yes, the Warriors probably weren't a playoff team even if completely healthy, but with key pieces such as Ellis, Stephen Jackson, Andris Biedrins, Marco Belinelli, and Corey Maggette all missing substantial time due to injury the Warriors really never had a chance to achieve any semblance of chemistry.

When considering the situations and circumstances surrounding the Warriors' season, it's pretty easy to see why Golden State won only 29 games.

What Went Right: Rookie Anthony Randolph spent most of his time on the pine early in the season, and at one point Nelson seemed to be campaigning to get rid of Randolph. However, after the All-Star break something really seemed to click for the kid from LSU. He put up some monster numbers down the stretch and has the look of a player who could be special for the Warriors in the future.

Ronny Turiaf was another reason for Golden State fans to smile. Some said the Warriors overpaid for his services this summer when the team signed the LA Lakers restricted free agent to an offer sheet. As it turned out, though, Turiaf was worth every dime. His energy, as expected, was off the charts. The defensive presence he evolved into as a shot blocker, though, was somewhat unexpected. To put things in perspective, Turiaf blocked 60 more shots this season in the same number of games he played last season in LA.

When a season produces as much disappointment as Golden State's did, it's always nice to unearth a diamond in the rough that could pay dividends in the future. The Warriors appear to have found exactly that in Anthony Morrow, an undrafted rookie from Georgia Tech. Morrow surprisingly emerged as one of the best long distance marksmen in the NBA shooting over 46 percent from beyond the arc.

Where Do The Warriors Go From Here: Golden State is a virtual lock to have a top 10 pick. However, in what is projected to be a weak draft by many, it remains to be seen whether or not the Warriors can get a true impact player. If the Warriors end up fortunate enough to have some ping-pong balls bounce their way, though, like we saw last season with the Chicago Bulls, Blake Griffin could be the type of presence that could instantly change the fortunes of the franchise.

Expect the Warriors to resume their efforts to try and trade Corey Maggette this summer. The team signed him as a reactionary move after losing Davis to the Los Angeles Clippers and his propensity to shoot the ball and do little else didn't always sit well with some of his teammates. The Warriors would love to get out from underneath his contract and a playoff-caliber team in need of an extra scorer could very well bite.

Finally, the Warriors have to decide what to do with Ellis moving forward. Ellis played pretty darned well when he returned from his injury/suspension, but his camp has quietly let it be known on a number of occasions that he wouldn't mind starting over somewhere else. Should the Warriors look to shop Ellis, there would likely be some interested suitors. And at the end of the day, Ellis is probably the only player on Golden State's roster the team could trade who would return any significant value.

I felt last off season's thread was a success.

And this could help pose less clutter than multiple.

If they want to wait til after the Finals, I guess that could be ok. Its up to Ska or whatever.

TK, MT2, and others will keep us with enough ammo though.

Class. Yuck. Like work after the 15th party last night.
frown.gif

Assuming nothing changes (which I know automatically makes this post a waste of time) I want to see a starting lineup like this:

PG: Monta
SG: Jack
SF: Randolph
PF: Wright
C: Biedrins

They have to get more defensive minded at some point, so three legit rebounder/shotblockers in at once would make a huge difference. Then they still have a tonof offense off the bench with Maggette and Crawford (Morrow and Azubuike as well). They can sub Crawford and Maggette in for Jack and Wright, and sub Turiaf infor Biedrins. They still would have instant offense off the bench and still have a defensive/rebounding presence as well with Randolph and Turiaf.

Pretty much I am tired of seeing Buike and Maggette at the 4. I want two big men in at all times so they are a more balanced team.

I contend that AR is a better fit at the PF spot though. He obviously needs to gain some muscle, but in our offense, he fits better there. He doesn't getpushed around on the block as much as you'd expect, either.

The upside to Monta as a PG is he's like 23. So obviously room for improvement. This summer will be important for him for a lot of reasons, to me, they areas follows:

a) Get out of the bay area, get away from your agent. Focus on your rest for a bit.
b) When you pick up a basketball after some down time, focus on improving your handles.
c) The Jumper is there, so aside from your regular practice, he should start to add a shot off the dribble as opposed to coming off a screen (as in years pastwhen he was a 2).
d) Study video from both a PG and SG perspective. You can do this in fine comforts of southern living for all I care, but this is an area he can obviouslyimprove on since it'll help his all around court awareness (which, actually I think has improved more than I thought it would)
e) Learn some defense for Christ sake. Regardless of who our coach is, the effort simply is not there, say compared to belli.

I really think adding a veteran PG could do this team good. Leadership aside, it can at least help a 23 year old learn the position on the fly.

I got a feeling that Wright or Bellinellli won't be W's next season
frown.gif

I also agree that AR is better at PF. I'm not sure he's fast enough to guard the SF position. He has the athletic ability to do so, there's nodenying that.

Marco still brings something no one else really does. He's the only player on the team (ugh Jack) that really creates for others. He's just really slowand that hurts him a lot.

Supposedly new uni's are actually on the horizon. One can hope. I'm mad they didn't have any hardwood classic nights with the 90's uniform.Maybe that was Rowell's way of giving another F U to Mully.

I agree with you DP, on Marco. I like Marco and I like the lasagna dubbed after him at Umbria, but unfortunately, with Morrow's emergence he could be theodd one out. I don't want to lose BWright either, but these guys have some trade value.

seems like out of belinelli, crawford, and wright, 2 of them will be gone. just hope we dont waste their trade value. im happy our bench positions have beenfilled for the most part.

I thought new uniforms was a known fact already. It's pretty much the reason they have the team store on clearance.

You can continue to post in that till this or that one is locked.

I'd imagine its cleaner to have the "off season" stuff in this thread and start it from the get go.

[h2]Warriors final-phase review: About as defenseless and hopeless as expected (excluding Randolph)[/h2]

Back on Jan. 27, with 37 great Warriors games left to play, I tossed out some realistic benchmarks for them to either hit or utterly miss as they galloped to end of this lost season. Emphasize: REALISTIC.

At the time, if I recall correctly, the SAPAs were saying that the Warriors would inevitably go 25-12 down the stretch (or whatever RR wanted them to say) because everybody was getting healthy, Don Nelson is a genius, everybody is great, etc., etc.

But it's actually better and more productive to set normal goals instead of exaggerating the talent, setting false expectations, then having to lie about what you really thought when the Warriors, as always, fail to come close to the goals and fans get ornery.

(Pretty difficult to keep lying and back-tracking and lying again to fans for 15 years, but geepers, I guess the Cohan/Rowell folks have decided that's the perfect way to go.)

Anyway, I put down the benchmarks those many months ago in order to look at them again today, after last night's season-ender in Phoenix.

One note: I didn't mention Anthony Randolph much back then, 'cause we just didn't know what the coach was going to do with him. Turns out the coach had to play him, and Randolph was very, very promising-I know, in a typical Warriors just-wait-'til-next-year thing, but Randolph was good.

Now let's go through the set from Jan. 27 (and thanks to the e-mailer who reminded me)…

* FINAL RECORD/

On Jan. 27, the Warriors were 14-31, with Monta Ellis just back into the line-up, but there were various other bumps and bruises on the roster that, to some, seemed like the natural coalescing of pending domination.

My realistic benchmark: Given a fairly difficult remaining schedule, the Warriors' realistic goal should be 30 victories but they were more likely to finish with one or two fewer.

My predicted finish: 15-22, to get to 29-53.

-Actual finish: 15-22, to get to 29-53. Hate when that happens.

With Ellis coming back and then going away and then coming back again and then going away for good, and with Stephen Jackson going away for good and various other injuries (geez, players actually get hurt throughout the season, and not just at the beginning? Wow!), this was about as much as the Warriors were going to get this season.

That's what happens when the franchise (and coach) goes into "quit" mode. Anthony Randolph, Kelenna Azubuike, Anthony Morrow and Ronny Turiaf played very inspired ball, no doubt.

But this is the time when many top players decide it's not that important to play any more, the healthy players try hard but realize it's for naught, the front office gets the TV folks to tell the fans how great it is to finish 19-25 over the last 44, like that's supposed to guarantee a playoff spot next year.

(Ignore/dismiss that 10-28 start! Referee conspiracy!)

Too bad it's the Warriors' worst record since 2001-2002. Yep, all they need now is to hire Eric Musselman, hired in 2002 and-give him credit-never fell below the 34-victory line in two seasons.

* HOME RECORD/

On Jan. 27, the Warriors were 10-11 at home.

My realistic benchmark: Finish 11-9 on the home schedule.

My predicted home record: Didn't really make a prediction, but I said 21-20 would be good.

-Actual final home record: 21-20. Oracle Arena performed its wonders, including a ridiculously large 19,000+ home average, and I go from saluting the loyal fans to wondering what the hell they're all thinking.

* ROAD RECORD/

On Jan. 27, the Warriors had a 4-20 road record.

My realistic benchmark: Win 5 of their final 12 road games to get to 9-32 for the season.

My predicted road record: Didn't really make a prediction.

-Actual final road record: 8-33. Not so good. Tied for the third-worst road record in the league, a true sign of lousiness and I don't care who was injured for how long.

* POINTS ALLOWED/

On Jan. 27, the Warriors had given up an average of 111.6 points per game, worst in the league and bordering on historically bad.

My realistic benchmark: Give up 107 points or fewer over the final 37 games-since 107 is about what the next-worst team was giving up at that point.

My predicted total: Didn't predict.

-Actual season-ending points allowed per game: 112.3, one of the worst in decades and 4.5 points worse than the next-lousiest defense (the Knicks, at 107.
glasses.gif

That means the Warriors gave up 112.5 points per game in the final 37 games.

Pathetic. Just pathetic. You want a sign of a team that, in its heart, quit? That's it.

* FG DEF/

On Jan. 27, Warriors' opponents were shooting 46.6% from the field.

My realistic benchmark: Hold opponents to 46% or lower. (I didn't write this at the time, but it makes it simpler if the benchmark would just for the Warriors to get the season-ending number under 46.6%.)

My prediction: Didn't make one.

-Actual season-ending FG% defense: 46.76%, so it got worse over the last 37. Not surprising. Nice that Don Nelson focuses so much on defense, as he told us.

* REBOUNDING DIFFERENTIAL/

On Jan. 27, the Warriors were grabbing an average of 4.9 fewer rebounds than their opponents per game, which was the worst differential in the NBA.

My realistic benchmark: Cut that down to -4 in the remaining games.

Made no prediction.

Actual reb-diff over the final 37 games: -5.4 per game. Terrible. And that's with Randolph in there scrapping and flying for everything he could.

Season-ending reb-diff: -5.1 and last. By a lot.

If you can't play defense and can't rebound, you're a lousy team and the coach usually gets fired. My question to the SAPAs: How does a full season of Monta Ellis help the defense and the rebounding?

* INDIVIDUAL PLUS/MINUS TOTALS/

Since most of my benchmarks included players who got hurt soon after, I'll pass over this category.

* MONTA ELLIS/

On Jan. 27, Ellis had been back for two games.

My realistic benchmark: Put up similar stats to last season, prove he was the same guy as he was pre-scooter incident.

-Actual Ellis performance: 25 games, 19.0 points per, 45.1% shooting, 35.7 minutes per and he had a run in February where his totals were very similar to his monster 20.2/53.1% totals of a year ago.

He's not a point guard, though.

^ Do you think there's any value for 2007 Becker CPA Review Books? Just the books, the CDs have expired.

I've been trying to sell them but not sure how much I should charge, or if anyone would actually buy them.

Back
Top Bottom