*| | Denim _ School | |*

^Nah, don't go a size up in APC's.

They stretch A LOT. Read what soulize posted up there about APC's.

I would go about 1-2 sizes down from your true waist size.

They're gonna be pretty tight at first but will stretch out to a good size.

Edit:

what do people mean when they say their jeans are done and need a new pair ? lol

They probably acquired their desired fades and want to buy a new pair to wear, in order to "create" their desired fades again.

so from what i have read, if you buy a new pair of APC and you soak them in hot water, they will shrink and that will be the end of that? will it shrink againlet's say.. the next time you wash/soak them?
what if you soak them in COLD water instead after buying them? i heard that minimizes shrinking and it might not even shrink at all..?

^They might shrink a little bit more after the 1st soak, but the 1st soak is where most of the shrinking gets done.

A cold soak is usually just to stiffen the denim up, after it becomes soft. It will hardly, if any, shrink.

Originally Posted by nikeXcartoon

^They might shrink a little bit more after the 1st soak, but the 1st soak is where most of the shrinking gets done.

A cold soak is usually just to stiffen the denim up, after it becomes soft. It will hardly, if any, shrink.
thanks for the info
happy.gif

to be honest i wouldn't even mess w/ the soak
just wear them
also
i would go w/ apcs over nudies
but thats just my taste

for APCs, and other denims that are notorious for stretching, I read somewhere (sufu) a good rule of thumb for sizing down is so you can button up all thebuttons of the flies, but you should barely be able to button the top button, or JUST not be able to a little bit. the denim should stretch otu that much andin time you'll be able to button your fly. Take that how you will...

I FINALLY copped a pair of nudies around late september, and they've been coming in really nice. but I didn't presoak. I do plan on washing them afteran extended period of time (year or however long...). I was jsut going to do a cold soak on them...is there anything I might have to watch out for?

What brand has looser fitting denim, Like Nudie Sven or a little bigger then APC rescues?

Been looking and can't really find any that i like. thanks

I want a pair of APC's but there aren't any stores that I know of In my area that carry them. Should I risk it and buy them online (sizing down ofcourse)?

^ to answer your question that are very good quality i have three pairs and the fit and durability is great. Rock and Republic are good jeans too.

^ R&R has some of the worst quaitly I've ever owned I had 2 pairs and both felt like they would rip any second. One pair ripped in the crotch afteronly 2 wears...I would never recommend buying those.

Thanks nikeXcartoon thats pretty much what I was lookin for. now just gotta save up and get a pair.

Out of my collection, the ones that have the best quality IMO are Diesels, APC, Nudies, and Earnest Sewns. Check out Supertalk for more info on denim. I thinkYamakazi can school you on denim as well.

Originally Posted by innovazn2

just wear them
also
but thats just my taste

wrong advice on the soaking part. you need to listen to soulize dp , he knows what he is talking about. quoted itbelow:
Originally Posted by soulize dp

It might not mess it up, but the extreme result would be the fading effects will be a bit off once the shrinking sets...depends how much wear you've put them through and how much they shrink form their original size. I've been rocking the New Standards for a few months as well unwashed, I wore one pair unwashed and soaked another and there is very slight difference in honeycombs/whiskers, but the soaked ones fit alot better since APC's do stretch a whole lot after you wear them. Keep in mind that honeycombs/whiskers/fading doesn't really kick in until after at least a good 6 months-1 year, so if you've only been wearing them for a few months on and off and there the fading patterns haven't set in yet you probably won't mess them up after soaking them and/or you can recreate them after wearing them after the soak.

If you soak it you'll most likely lose the sheen of new raw denim, but they'll be easier to break in and if you shrink them and then wear them then you can stretch them to fit your body.
here are pics of my STFs. the blue one is what i soaked, and the black one is the one that's not soaked. you'll see the difference. BTW, mytrue size is 32x32
8dx271j.jpg

8a1fg9d.jpg

BTW to the cats that have a pair of nom de guerre denim, how much did yours stretch out after wear? I'm planning to get another pair, but my grey pair from the previous season didn't stretch that much.

they don't stretch. most NDG jeans use a left hand twill, which make it a lot softer. it's harder to stretch out due to its soft weft/warpspacing.

craxyaznguy, I would size DOWN in the APC's, I went 2 sizes down, they stretch out alot. Everyone who has bought a pair at Nomad has sized down 1-3 sizes.
correct. size down 2. 3 if you want a really skinny fit, 1 if you want it to be a bit looser. and when i say skinnier/looser, i mean as in tenthsof an inch.

Originally Posted by wesdenzel

what do people mean when they saay their jeans are done and need a new pair ? lol
that means they've finally gotten their bath
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by shoefreak14

What jeans fit like the Levi's 514 slim??

good question. i'd imagine this would be like sizing down 3 on the APC new standards, or sizing down 1 on the new cures. there are other, more expensivebrands out there that i could point out as well, but i doubt you'd want to spend that much $ without first getting some cheaper ones to experience withfirst.
Originally Posted by nkwu11

for APCs, and other denims that are notorious for stretching, I read somewhere (sufu) a good rule of thumb for sizing down is so you can button up all the buttons of the flies, but you should barely be able to button the top button, or JUST not be able to a little bit. the denim should stretch otu that much and in time you'll be able to button your fly. Take that how you will...

I FINALLY copped a pair of nudies around late september, and they've been coming in really nice. but I didn't presoak. I do plan on washing them after an extended period of time (year or however long...). I was jsut going to do a cold soak on them...is there anything I might have to watch out for?

the APCs are just about the only ones that stretch insanely. every other brand seems to be a lot less. blame it on vanity sizing...and again, it'susually 2 sizes down where you begin to experience top-button difficulties.

congrats on the nudies, i personally don't like the glaring back pocket stitching, but they fade very nicely. somewhere around 4-5 months of steady wearand your nudies will be looking like you wore them for 2 years, relative to how APC's fade
laugh.gif
nothing to watch out for, except a bit of shrinking everywhere. it'll probably shrink a good 1 inch in the waist and half inch in the length.
Originally Posted by apwrxmd

What brand has looser fitting denim, Like Nudie Sven or a little bigger then APC rescues?

Been looking and can't really find any that i like. thanks

kicking mule workshop, atelier ladurance, or samurai. these are repro brands (except ALD), and the cuts are always very large in comparison to other qualitydenim brands. the IH634 and FH380 are not really more relaxed in the legs, from my experience they just have bigger thigh openings than rescues. but then againrescues stretch out to a pretty fat+%+* thigh if you wear them for a bit, so...yea. but the FHS500 is a really great alternative as well, along with the 3brands i mentioned.
Originally Posted by stevolatti

how do you make the black denim 501 levis stiff?

show it pr0n. jk, just spray + iron on some starch, if you really want to go through the hassle. imo, STF's aren't worth the work.
Originally Posted by craxyaznguy

Are diesel jeans really worth my $?

ok, to tell you the truth, diesel jeans really are the only mall brand jeans i would buy and wear. their denim is heavy and hardware quality is top-notch,the only downside is their ridiculous washes and ugly bootcuts. their straight fitted models with subtle washes are quite awesome.
Originally Posted by fuzynguyen

^ to answer your question that are very good quality i have three pairs and the fit and durability is great. Rock and Republic are good jeans too.

no offense, but RR is not quality denim. it's great if you love to have 2 R's on your+%+*, but other than that, you're not really paying for anyquality. last i checked their denim even incorporated a bit of that elastic spandex in their jeans. definitely for women.
Originally Posted by Klipschorn

Originally Posted by innovazn2

just wear them
also
but thats just my taste

wrong advice on the soaking part. you need to listen to soulize dp , he knows what he is talking about. quoted it below:
to be honest you don't really need to pre-soak. a lot of people buy and wear them just fine, as long as you don't care about creating yourown fades. i actually prefer darker, less contrasty fades, so for most of my jeans i wear them first without soaking. soaking is ONLY APPLICABLE if you want tohave that nice contrast.

So....concerning A.P.C's....If i have some NS's coming in a few days, am i supposed to soak them first before wearing them?...Time?...
Input would be much appreciated.

Can anyone provide step-by-step tips on how to care for them, any general rules, and what i must to do ensure they remain well?
Also, can anyone provide online websites that carry these jeans?...They are sold out of good sizes on their website.
frown.gif

Thanks.

PO

Originally Posted by PO2345

So....concerning A.P.C's....If i have some NS's coming in a few days, i'm i supposed to soak them first before wearing them?...Time?...Input would be much appreciated.

Can anyone provide step-by-step tips on how to care for them, any general rules, and what i must to do ensure they remain well?
Thanks.

PO

come on now, people don't even try these days, i've answered this 3 times now
laugh.gif
you don't HAVE to soak them, you CAN soak them. depends on what end result you want. if you really want to "work on them" like a projectand create contrast-y jeans at the very end, APC isn't the brand to do it. but anyway, since you already bought them, if you want as much contrast aspossible soak them in COLD water. then wear the jeans around until they're dried. if you can't do that, then air dry. how to take care of them? wearthem?
laugh.gif
they're not shoes, they're jeans that you're suppose to work on bywearing, you should just wear them and make sure not to run into sharp things. i'm not sure what you meant by that question.

^I would soak them in warm water for about an hour, then let them hang dry.

As far as step by step instructions, there's nothing to it but wearing your denim.

A lot of people like to baby their denim and think that if the rain gets their jeans a little damp, they're ruined.

Just try to put in as much wear as possible and you'll eventually come out with some great fades.

We should try to keep this thread going, then you and others can post your progress.

Back
Top Bottom