Denver Nuggets (10-4) 2023-24 Season Thread: 11/22 @ Magic

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

I'm really liking the depth this team has.
o yea. i've forgot about this team because the LA's and Thunder. this team will make some noise in the playoffs.

Originally Posted by aepps20

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Until the Nuggets were up 20+, I was dreading the GK collapse. Nice win tonight.
pimp.gif

I have a feeling tonight's game will get rescheduled.  The roads are scary and my office was closed today (never happens) so I really question if the game will happen.

GK and this team need to have a long look in the mirror after their performance in the last 5 games. Just pathetic!

Awesome. 
indifferent.gif
(Stoneface does not apply for Brewer; condolences to him and his fam)

Benjamin Hochman @nuggetsnews
Also Nene, Afflalo and Mozgov are all injured and likely won't play vs hou

George Karl said Mozgov (ankle) will likely miss all 3 games this wk
Sad news: Corey Brewers dad passed away. He won't be with the team today.
No lie - to keep his bench rotation in tact, Karl will likely start Julyan Stone and Faried (along w Ty, Gallo and Koufy)

Nuggs should've never paid Nene or AAA. They have been terrible this year and Nene is always injured.

Terrible game tonight. Way too many missed free throws and turnovers.

Nuggets
[h1]Nuggets' Gallinari could miss up to month with ankle injury[/h1]
Posted: 02/07/2012 12:24:51 PM MST
Updated: 02/07/2012 01:44:40 PM MST
By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post

Nuggets' top scorer Danilo Gallinari said he will likely miss four weeks following a left ankle sprain suffered Monday. X-rays also found a chip fracture in his left foot, an injury doctors determined that occurred before Gallo played professional basketball.

Gallinari will remain in a walking boot for three to five days. Treatment will be for a significant ankle sprain.

"Four weeks -- if it can be faster, it's better," he said today, "but with these kind of things, you want to take your time and have it heal in the right way.

"I don't want to rush it - I want to take care of myself and make sure it heals in the right way, so I don't have other injuries when I come back."

It could have been worse. In late January, the Bucks' Andrew Bogut suffered a similar injury to Gallinari - landing on his left ankle and fracturing it. Bogut is out for 8-12 weeks.

The Nuggets have a home back-to-back beginning Wednesday against Dallas, then Thursday against Golden State.

After starting out slow, Gallinari found his touch and became a force for the Nuggets, one of the feel-good stories of this NBA season. The small forward averages 17 points per game and 5.2 rebounds this season — and in the past 10 games he had averaged nearly 19 points per game.

Asked who will pick up the slack in Gallinari's absence, coach George Karl said today, "I think until we get Corey Brewer back, it will be kind of by my feel of the game."

(It's unclear when Corey Brewer will return - he is with his family, following the passing of his father.)

"Once I get Corey back," Karl said, :I think you're going to see him get at least a 20-minute hunk of that. I think he's earned that opportunity. But the other 10, 15 minutes and 35 minutes tomorrow I don't know. I mean, they all should be ready to play. Dallas gives us an interesting team and can I go to Julyan Stone?

"I actually thought about playing Jordan Hamilton last night for the 3-ball. Jordan can make a 3. We weren't going to make one last night, but you know, all our rookies are ready to go. But Nene will come back hopefully tomorrow. And how I'm going to take the game is always a guessing game for me. I think Al, Kosta and Nene are going to get the first shot and Bird and Kenneth got to be ready for anything that comes after that."

In regards to other injuries, guard Arron Afflalo (ankle, toe) is expected to return for the Nuggets on Wednesday, while big man Nene (heel) is a game-time decision.

Center Timofey Mozgov (ankle) is likely out for this week. He is out of his walking boot and is improving.

The 23-year-old Italian has become a key figure in the organization - Denver recently signed Gallo to a four-year, $42 million contract.

"He's a 6-10 person who gets into the lane, gets to the basket and also can create for others," point guard Ty Lawson said. "So for him to go down, it's going to be tough for us right now We've got to all come together and make sure we keep one another up.

Guys need to step up. AAA and Nene need to stop playing like Bums and Rudy needs to start making shots.

Are Chandler And Brooks Stuck?

Many of the players who signed overseas during the lockout were still under contract to their NBA team, but were able to receive necessary FIBA letters of clearance as long as their overseas contracts allowed their return to the NBA once the lockout ended. As a result, players such as the Nets’ Deron Williams played part of the Euroleague/Eurocup season, and then were given their release to return to the U.S. in time for the start of the NBA season.

But most of the players who signed in China during the lockout are still there. The Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) allowed its teams to sign NBA players, but did not permit escape clauses letting those players return to the NBA when the lockout ended. As a result, Chinese teams could only sign NBA free agents during the lockout, and not players who were under NBA contracts. Any players who signed in China had to play the full season there, and could not return home early.

As such, several NBA free agents – most notably Aaron Brooks, Wilson Chandler, and J.R. Smith – are awaiting the expiration of their Chinese contracts before they can return to the NBA. Each is bound to his team until its final game, either regular season or playoffs. The CBA regular season ends on February 15, with the playoffs scheduled to start on February 22. Postseason play could last as long as March 30.

This poses an additional problem for Brooks and Chandler, who are restricted free agents. Under normal circumstances a restricted free agent can sign an offer sheet with the team of his choice, and the player’s prior team is given the opportunity to retain the player by matching the principal terms of the offer. If the team fails to match the offer (the time limit is three days), the offer sheet becomes a contract with the new team.

But restricted free agents can’t sign offer sheets after March 1 of any season, and this season is no exception. So Brooks and Chandler likely won’t be eligible to return to the NBA until after their eligibility to sign an offer sheet expires.

Both Chandler’s Zhejiang Guangsha and Brooks’ Guangdong Hongyuan appear poised to make deep playoff runs, which means neither player is likely to return to NBA before the March 1 deadline for signing an offer sheet. If Chandler wants to play in the NBA after March 1, his only option will be to return to the Denver Nuggets. Likewise with Brooks and the Phoenix Suns.

This begs the question; do their previous teams want them back? For instance the Suns might feel they are fine at point guard with Steve Nash, Ronnie Price and Sebastian Telfair, and may decide against adding Brooks for just a few games. Even if they decide to re-sign him, they could realize that they are literally bidding against themselves, and lowball their offer.

A sign-and-trade arrangement, in which one of these players is signed by his previous team and immediately traded to a new team, is out of the question. The new collective bargaining agreement prohibits sign-and-trades after the season starts.

There are just three possibilities that could allow Chandler and Brooks to play for another NBA team. First, if either player’s team’s season ends before March 1, he will be free to return to the NBA and could sign an offer sheet with another team before the deadline.

Second, their Chinese teams could release them prior to March 1, even though they are still playing. But even if Brooks or Chandler is granted his release, obtaining a FIBA letters of clearance is uncertain. For example, Kenyon Martin was released by the Xinjiang Guanghui Flying Tigers midway through the Chinese season, but was only granted his letter of clearance when the Flying Tigers failed to respond to FIBA’s request in the allotted time.

The last possibility is if Brooks or Chandler return to the NBA after March 1, the Suns or Nuggets could renounce them, making them unrestricted free agents. They would then be free to sign with any team. However this would require a measure of goodwill on the part of the teams, since either team could reclaim its rights to restricted free agency by submitting a new qualifying offer by June 30.

So if these players return to the NBA after March 1 and don’t sign with their previous teams, they likely must wait until this summer – when they again will be subject to restricted free agency. It’s potentially a no-win situation for both.

385201827%20-%20Copy.gif

Originally Posted by aepps20

Guys need to step up. AAA and Nene need to stop playing like Bums and Rudy needs to start making shots.
I ain't holding my breath.

Not feeling optimistic about tonight's game, at all.

Denver Nuggets @denvernuggets
Nene and @Arron_Afflalo expected to return to lineup tonight for #Nuggets. Karl leaning toward starting Birdman.

Denver Nuggets @denvernuggets
Brewer still unavailable for #Nuggets, so 11 will suit up tonight. Probable starters: Ty, AAA, Nene, Bird and Stone.

One good things to take away from this melt down after post Melo honeymoon phase...GK doesn't look so awesome now 
pimp.gif
 even though he'll get the benefit of the doubt because of injuries but at least he can't hide behind the wins.

This is exactly why GK is an overrated coach. We all knew he should've utilized the bench more earlier in the season to get guys more use to playing and to keep guys healthy but that's not how he rolls.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
pathetic!

Back
Top Bottom