Denver Nuggets; JR Smith... I'm concerned

J.R. Smith is a bum.

All he can do is jack up 3s and dunk. He's like an And1/NBA Live with your boys type players.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

- laugh now but kobe used to have a game just like him. i dont think his bb iq is low, its just his ego......like it was kobe's.

Spot-on.

I think a lot of ppl in here seem to forget that JR is still young as hell. And also some players take longer to mature than others.

But yeah, Dirty Snake was pretty similar to JR at that age (in terms of mentality on-court).

JR will be fine.

I think that he would have been better off if the Spurs would have picked him up in that trade that was reported like two seasons ago.

JR is a work in progress. His skills are too good to pass up, he's worth the time it may take to refine his game. He's the kind of guy you get rid ofnow and regret later once it all starts falling into place. His "flashes of brilliance" seem to be coming more often, and he seems to be taking a fewless questionable shots. For instance, I've noticed more and more that, when he gets the ball on the perimeter, if a defender steps up to him, he'lltake a driblle in and pull up for a mid range shot. Last year, he would shoot that 3 over the defender every time (and miss fairly often). That's just asmall example of better decision making. He'll come around, and he has helped Denver win a few games this year already (like the game against Dallas lastnight where he was the leading scorer coming off the bench). People are going ot be hard on this cat but like others said, he's still so young. Plenty oftime for him to get it together.

Originally Posted by outacontrol music

Sometimes I wonder why people talk sports on here.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Of course JR right now is like Kobe in his early years... but he's also a lot like Ricky Davis.

The difference is that Kobe got it. By his third year he was an effective starter, an All-Star who could score and play on a winning team.

Players like Ricky Davis and now JR never make that transition. JR has been a work in progress for too long now. It looks more and more like he'll just beanother Ricky Davis. Obviously a great coach like Pop or Phil could force him to play right... or could get fed up with him and bury him on the bench.

SenorRoboto2k5 wrote:
Of course JR right now is like Kobe in his early years... but he's also a lot like Ricky Davis.

The difference is that Kobe got it. By his third year he was an effective starter, an All-Star who could score and play on a winning team.

Players like Ricky Davis and now JR never make that transition. JR has been a work in progress for too long now. It looks more and more like he'll just be another Ricky Davis. Obviously a great coach like Pop or Phil could force him to play right... or could get fed up with him and bury him on the bench.

- hate to bust your bubble, but Kobe didnt 'get it' until a few years ago....yeah i saidit.....TILL A FEW YEARS AGO. after he gave up on his teamates against Phoenix in the playoffs. die hard KB fans will never admit this though.
- what got Kobe through at that time was him being an NBA golden boy. also, similar to teams like the Knicks and the Yankees, the Lakers had a reputation andhad been rebuilding for a while, Kobe was the new youth so it made him untouchable. his first coaches were scared to bench him so it took him alot longer to'get it'. one can only imagine what Kobe could have done had Del Harris disciplined him early on in his career, and taught him what a teamate is firstthen a leader.

- i will say in Kobe's defense, JR has been benched and publicly humiliated by his coach and he's still out there trying to show the world what he cando. so idk. maybe JR is a Ricky Davis and will never get it. and maybe if Kobe would have gotten the same discipline as JR early on maybe he wouldnt havegotten it either......

He was better than Kobe when both were age of 19-20 (both came off highschool)

But he hasn't improved a lot since then.
- hate to bust your bubble, but Kobe didnt 'get it' until a few years ago....yeah i said it.....TILL A FEW YEARS AGO. after he gave up on his teamates against Phoenix in the playoffs. die hard KB fans will never admit this though.
- what got Kobe through at that time was him being an NBA golden boy. also, similar to teams like the Knicks and the Yankees, the Lakers had a reputation and had been rebuilding for a while, Kobe was the new youth so it made him untouchable. his first coaches were scared to bench him so it took him alot longer to 'get it'. one can only imagine what Kobe could have done had Del Harris disciplined him early on in his career, and taught him what a teamate is first then a leader.
Spot-on.

I think a lot of ppl in here seem to forget that JR is still young as hell. And also some players take longer to mature than others.

But yeah, Dirty Snake was pretty similar to JR at that age (in terms of mentality on-court).

JR will be fine.
If he would have stuck it out with Byron Scott, he'd more than likely be 3x the player he is now. Dismissing the fact that he was =/+ thanKobe was at 19-20 is ridiculous. It's like everyone's said... he just hasn't progressed as much as anyone would like and he still doesn't"get it".

This is SPOT ON. I don' think he could be better than Kobe (I just hope)... I just see the potential. I also see him on the end of the bench behind theinjured players...

The nuggets are missing one part to make them truly a contender. Maybe he could be it...?

I just have such high hopes.

The post of the article was amazing! Who ever posted that about how JR and Karl's relationship is improving THANK YOU!

Originally Posted by caLiwestcoast1

Originally Posted by Refuse2Lose24

you had me until u just blurted out that jr smith can be better than kobe

give me some of what ur smokin

co-sign...then i stopped reading
roll.gif

Shidddddddddd, if you waited til then, you already done read the whole paragraph lol.

SenorRoboto2k5 wrote:

Players like Ricky Davis and now JR never make that transition. JR has been a work in progress for too long now. It looks more and more like he'll just be another Ricky Davis. Obviously a great coach like Pop or Phil could force him to play right... or could get fed up with him and bury him on the bench.

- hate to bust your bubble, but Kobe didnt 'get it' until a few years ago....yeah i said it.....TILL A FEW YEARS AGO. after he gave up on his teamates against Phoenix in the playoffs. die hard KB fans will never admit this though.
- what got Kobe through at that time was him being an NBA golden boy. also, similar to teams like the Knicks and the Yankees, the Lakers had a reputation and had been rebuilding for a while, Kobe was the new youth so it made him untouchable. his first coaches were scared to bench him so it took him alot longer to 'get it'. one can only imagine what Kobe could have done had Del Harris disciplined him early on in his career, and taught him what a teamate is first then a leader.

- i will say in Kobe's defense, JR has been benched and publicly humiliated by his coach and he's still out there trying to show the world what he can do. so idk. maybe JR is a Ricky Davis and will never get it. and maybe if Kobe would have gotten the same discipline as JR early on maybe he wouldnt have gotten it either......

You're REALLY reaching with this one.

Kobe didn't get how to play unselfishly until the Lakers landed Pau Gasol, but just because he didn't "get" how to play like a complete teamplayer doesn't mean he didn't "get" how to play on an NBA team. JR Smith doesn't even get the latter. Kobe may not have gotten the rightdiscipline to curb his selfishness, but he could still "get it" to the point where he could adjust his offense, learn new skills, score effectively,and most of all, play an ALL-STAR role on three championship teams. JR doesn't get how to do that; he just knows how to chuck up the same predictableshots.

There are plenty of players that don't "get it" like you say, and play unselfish team ball, but are still successful NBA players on good teams. Ijust watched Joe Johnson hog the ball throughout the last minutes of the fourth quarter against the Celtics. He doesn't "get it" like you say,and there's no one disciplining him for taking bad shots, but he's still a leader that does a lot of things on a solid team. The difference with JR isthat he doesn't get any of that, which is why he hasn't been a good NBA player yet.

I don't even know how Kobe really got into serious discussion here. He's been an All-Star and a champion and JR hasn't come close to anythinghe's accomplished. JR has the athletic skills to do the things Kobe or MJ did, but look how much that really means.

I apologize if I sound like I'm hating on JR if you're one of his fans, but it's hard to disagree with the fact that he doesn't get how to playon a team; he just knows how to do nice dunks, stroke a shot, jump high (but can't apply it well). Until he does, he won't be a consistent player or avery big piece of any team. I will say, if he does get how to play well, he'll be fun to watch.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

I gotta come in here and defend Ricky Davis.

Ricky Davis is certainly uncoachable, but that doesn't mean he has a low basketball IQ. He plays the passing lanes on defense, has put together multipleseasons of averaging 5+ assists from a wing position, and is a career 36.2% 3-pt shooter while only shooting 2.2 threes per game -surprisingly disciplined shot selection. Ricky Davis's problem is he's a headcase with a personality that won't allow him to be coached, but he hasan solid understanding of basketball - probably in the top 25% of NBA players.

J.R. Smith, on the other hand, has one of the lowest basketball IQs in the league. His game hasn't changed much since his coming out party atMcDonald's HS All-American game - it's still dunk if he has an open lane, otherwise launch a 3-pointer no matter the situation, defense, or openteammates. So a fitting comparison should be a player with unbelievable talent, athleticism, and range, but an equally unbelievably low basketball IQ andimmature state of mind. Enter J.R. Rider.

See for yourself, eerily similar right down to the lack of interest in learning how to play team defense and general lack of interest in defense. If somecellar-dwelling franchise acquired J.R. Smith and made him a main option, his stat line would easily scale up to J.R. Rider's.

Isaiah "J.R." Rider
[table][tr][th=""]Season[/th] [th=""]Age[/th] [th=""]Tm[/th] [th=""]G[/th] [th=""]GS[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]RB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TO[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1993-94[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]79[/td] [td]60[/td] [td]30.6[/td] [td]6.6[/td] [td]14.1[/td] [td].468[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td].360[/td] [td]2.7[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td].811[/td] [td]4.0[/td] [td]2.6[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.4[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]16.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1994-95[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]35.3[/td] [td]7.4[/td] [td]16.7[/td] [td].447[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]5.3[/td] [td].351[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td]4.5[/td] [td].817[/td] [td]3.3[/td] [td]3.3[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]0.3[/td] [td]3.1[/td] [td]20.4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1995-96[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]MIN[/td] [td]75[/td] [td]68[/td] [td]34.6[/td] [td]7.5[/td] [td]16.1[/td] [td].464[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td].371[/td] [td]3.3[/td] [td]3.9[/td] [td].838[/td] [td]4.1[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [td]0.3[/td] [td]2.7[/td] [td]19.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1996-97[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]POR[/td] [td]76[/td] [td]68[/td] [td]33.7[/td] [td]6.0[/td] [td]12.9[/td] [td].464[/td] [td]1.3[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td].385[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td].812[/td] [td]4.0[/td] [td]2.6[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [td]0.3[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]16.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1997-98[/td] [td]26[/td] [td]POR[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]66[/td] [td]37.6[/td] [td]7.4[/td] [td]17.6[/td] [td].423[/td] [td]1.8[/td] [td]5.7[/td] [td].321[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [td]3.6[/td] [td].828[/td] [td]4.7[/td] [td]3.1[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.3[/td] [td]2.5[/td] [td]19.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1998-99[/td] [td]27[/td] [td]POR[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]29.5[/td] [td]5.3[/td] [td]12.9[/td] [td].412[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td].378[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td]3.1[/td] [td].755[/td] [td]4.2[/td] [td]2.2[/td] [td]0.5[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]2.0[/td] [td]13.9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1999-00[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]ATL[/td] [td]60[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]34.7[/td] [td]7.5[/td] [td]17.9[/td] [td].419[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [td].311[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td]4.3[/td] [td].785[/td] [td]4.3[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]19.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2000-01[/td] [td]29[/td] [td]LAL[/td] [td]67[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]18.0[/td] [td]3.0[/td] [td]7.0[/td] [td].426[/td] [td]0.5[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td].370[/td] [td]1.1[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td].855[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]0.4[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]7.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2001-02[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]DEN[/td] [td]10[/td] [td]1[/td] [td]17.3[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td]8.1[/td] [td].457[/td] [td]0.6[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td].400[/td] [td]1.3[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td].765[/td] [td]3.3[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td]0.3[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]9.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Career[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]563[/td] [td]424[/td] [td]31.7[/td] [td]6.4[/td] [td]14.4[/td] [td].443[/td] [td]1.2[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td].352[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td]3.4[/td] [td].812[/td] [td]3.8[/td] [td]2.7[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]2.5[/td] [td]16.7[/td] [/tr][/table]
J.R. Smith
[table][tr][th=""]Season[/th] [th=""]Age[/th] [th=""]Tm[/th] [th=""]G[/th] [th=""]GS[/th] [th=""]MP[/th] [th=""]FG[/th] [th=""]FGA[/th] [th=""]FG%[/th] [th=""]3P[/th] [th=""]3PA[/th] [th=""]3P%[/th] [th=""]FT[/th] [th=""]FTA[/th] [th=""]FT%[/th] [th=""]RB[/th] [th=""]AST[/th] [th=""]STL[/th] [th=""]BLK[/th] [th=""]TO[/th] [th=""]PTS[/th] [/tr][tr][td]2004-05[/td] [td]19[/td] [td]NOH[/td] [td]76[/td] [td]56[/td] [td]24.5[/td] [td]3.9[/td] [td]9.8[/td] [td].394[/td] [td]1.1[/td] [td]3.7[/td] [td].288[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]2.1[/td] [td].689[/td] [td]2.0[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]10.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2005-06[/td] [td]20[/td] [td]NOK[/td] [td]55[/td] [td]25[/td] [td]18.0[/td] [td]2.6[/td] [td]6.7[/td] [td].393[/td] [td]0.9[/td] [td]2.5[/td] [td].371[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]1.8[/td] [td].822[/td] [td]2.0[/td] [td]1.1[/td] [td]0.7[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]1.0[/td] [td]7.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2006-07[/td] [td]21[/td] [td]DEN[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]23.3[/td] [td]4.5[/td] [td]10.2[/td] [td].441[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td]6.1[/td] [td].390[/td] [td]1.6[/td] [td]2.0[/td] [td].810[/td] [td]2.3[/td] [td]1.4[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [td]0.1[/td] [td]1.3[/td] [td]13.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2007-08[/td] [td]22[/td] [td]DEN[/td] [td]74[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]19.2[/td] [td]4.2[/td] [td]9.1[/td] [td].461[/td] [td]2.1[/td] [td]5.3[/td] [td].403[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td].719[/td] [td]2.1[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [td]12.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2008-09[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]DEN[/td] [td]24[/td] [td]0[/td] [td]25.0[/td] [td]4.8[/td] [td]10.8[/td] [td].438[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]4.7[/td] [td].357[/td] [td]1.9[/td] [td]2.8[/td] [td].697[/td] [td]4.0[/td] [td]2.4[/td] [td]0.8[/td] [td]0.2[/td] [td]1.7[/td] [td]13.1[/td] [/tr][/table]

J.R. Smith doesn't have enough talent to ever develop a game comparable to Kobe's, but he has the skills to become a Top 50 player in the NBA - areliable 2nd option and borderline all-star. Unfortunately, he right there with Gerald Green as guys who might have the lowest basketball IQ in the league.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

SenorRoboto2k5 wrote:

- i will say in Kobe's defense, JR has been benched and publicly humiliated by his coach and he's still out there trying to show the world what he can do. so idk. maybe JR is a Ricky Davis and will never get it. and maybe if Kobe would have gotten the same discipline as JR early on maybe he wouldnt have gotten it either......
You're REALLY reaching with this one.

Kobe didn't get how to play unselfishly until the Lakers landed Pau Gasol, but just because he didn't "get" how to play like a complete team player doesn't mean he didn't "get" how to play on an NBA team. JR Smith doesn't even get the latter. Kobe may not have gotten the right discipline to curb his selfishness, but he could still "get it" to the point where he could adjust his offense, learn new skills, score effectively, and most of all, play an ALL-STAR role on three championship teams. JR doesn't get how to do that; he just knows how to chuck up the same predictable shots.

There are plenty of players that don't "get it" like you say, and play unselfish team ball, but are still successful NBA players on good teams. I just watched Joe Johnson hog the ball throughout the last minutes of the fourth quarter against the Celtics. He doesn't "get it" like you say, and there's no one disciplining him for taking bad shots, but he's still a leader that does a lot of things on a solid team. The difference with JR is that he doesn't get any of that, which is why he hasn't been a good NBA player yet.

I don't even know how Kobe really got into serious discussion here. He's been an All-Star and a champion and JR hasn't come close to anything he's accomplished. JR has the athletic skills to do the things Kobe or MJ did, but look how much that really means.

I apologize if I sound like I'm hating on JR if you're one of his fans, but it's hard to disagree with the fact that he doesn't get how to play on a team; he just knows how to do nice dunks, stroke a shot, jump high (but can't apply it well). Until he does, he won't be a consistent player or a very big piece of any team. I will say, if he does get how to play well, he'll be fun to watch.

- reaching huh? says the guy with Kobe in his avy.....dont worry i wouldnt expect you to understand.

- and im a fan of neither. im an old Laker fan that sees alot of similarities in both players early attitudes.

- oh and, for the record i wouldnt say Joe Johnson doesnt 'get it' either. i dont know what your definition of that is but mine is J.R. Smith and Kobe.

Originally Posted by PRETTYPLAYA

Yea, really though his talent level is on par with carmelo.

He's listed 6'6 but seems like more of 6'5 6'4. He's doesn't look that long either. Short arms.

But he can shoot like no other and probably the most athletic player in Denver.

And that's special.

He was better than Kobe when both were age of 19-20 (both came off highschool)

But he hasn't improved a lot since then.

He can be an allstar, but he needs to understand the game of basketball more imo.

JR and Mayo are very comparible at this point. They have similar body, game, and skillset.

But the thing is Mayo has "it," wanting to be the best... I don't know about JR.
no way this punk jr smith at the age of 19-20 was better than kobe in his 19-20...you realize that kobe at this age was all-star statusalready?!...kobe wouldve roast this punk...kobe at the age of 19-20 was giving dudes like grant hill(pistons) and penny hardaway in their primes...i remembergrant hill in '98 said that this teenager(kobe) is killing me...cant put kobe and jr punk smith in the same sentence not gonna happen

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

J.R. Smith is a bum.

r._smith-arton21182-240x240.jpg

[table][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]

ive heard enough of this non sense

Kobe is a student of the game. He respects the history and tradition of the game and he learns from others. He's like Mega Man and just takes otherplayers moves and add it to his game. Kobe is a relentless competitor. He is a champion.

JR Smith is a AAU bum with a whole lot of flash and no substance. JR is not smart on or off the court. While Kobe is watching game film of Jerry West in theLakers practice facility JR is watching Sponge Bob. Lets be serious JR has no D, no mid range, and no handles. He will never be a Superstar. He might put ittogether for a season down the road and make a AllStar team but thats it.

Who cares its JR's life, who cares if he killed a man with his car, who cares if he cant stop shooting 3's, who cares if he plays for horriblecoaches(Byron Scott, and George Karl) and cant stand them. Who cares cause in the end JR is going to be who HE wants to be. A shade above average player withelite physical skills.

Back
Top Bottom