Did anyone just watch Clint Eastwood's speech?

Let's be real, had that speech been made at the DNC, Democrats would've been enthralled.

FALSE
You don't think there would've been the same cheering and chanting, "Say 'Go ahead, make my day!!!'" type response? Quit lying, these people, regardless of party, eat up whatever you put in front of them.

You're talking just about the people at the convention? Yeah, they would probably chuckle. I guess. Maybe

Idk though I could never see that Dems letting something like that go on at their convention.

Did you watch the whole speech though?
Why respond if you didn't read what I wrote...I said if it happened at the DNC. And if you're asking about Eastwood's speech, yes I watched it all. All of the speeches at the RNC? Hell no.

You think Democrats would've sat there and stonefaced him? No, the reaction would've been the same if he was pro-Democrat. I'm not even a Republican, I voted for Obama in 08, but it's easy to see that the purpose of these Presidential races are no longer (I can't speak about whether they were any better "back in the day") about truly addressing the issues and wanting to correct what's wrong but about trying to sway or strengthen someone's political beliefs as they see it in that candidate.

If it takes incoherent rambling from a Hollywood icon, a bunch of "Dontchaknows" from an attractive woman from Alaska or a mantra of empty promises of "Change", "Yes, We Can" or..."We'll withdraw the troops", they'll do whatever it takes to make people believe what they're seeing is real.

OK

Can we just laugh about the sillyness of the speech instead of having the same debate for the millionth time?

Last edited:
Just watched it and I actually enjoyed it. It was a well spoken speech and the stuff he did with Obama was basically just improv. Dude's an actor, he gets off on doing that kinda thing.

:rofl:

all things considered...he had quite a few jokes. He sounded a little old, obviously. Dude went in. 

He was with a hispanic hooker once in the summer of 1974. That counts doesnt it?

Ive never felt like anything but a spectator during national elections, most probably because I don't live in a swing state.

That being the case, I wouldn't be too upset of Mitt and his big money pals pulled this off and stole this election. In the long run, it may force America as a whole to reexamine the current election process sooner rather than later.

Mitt Romney in his own words: "I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it." "Roe v. Wade has gone too far." "I don't line up with the NRA." "I'm a member of the [NRA]." "I like mandates. The mandates work." "I think it's unconstitutional on the 10th Amendment front." "I supported the assault weapon ban." "I don't support any gun control legislation." "I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation." "There's no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs." "I will work and fight for stem cell research." "In the end,I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise." "I would like to have campaign spending limits." "The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates and their positions without burdensome limitations." "Detroit needs a turnaround,not a check." "I'll take a lot of credit for the fact that this industry's come back." "I'm not in favor of privatizing Social Security or making cuts." "Social Security's the easiest and that's because you can give people a personal account." "I'm not trying to return to Reagan-Bush." "Ronald Reagan is my hero"

This guy is somethubg else

And why woukd u want a business man as president? Businesses are about making money not morality. This guy was buying companies, firing everybody, and getting rich off misery

if you combine the first two letters of Eastwood's first name and the last three letters of Romney's first name...

Last edited:
  • wsj_print.gif

• November 5, 2008, 9:16 AM ET
[h1]Barack Obama: The U.S.’s 44th President (and 25th Lawyer-President!)[/h1]

[h3]ByDan Slater[/h3]
obamagrant_art_257_20081105090946.jpg

President-elect Barack Obama during his acceptance speech at Grant Park in Chicago, Nov. 4, 2008. (AP/Morry Gash)

After Barack Obama’s smashing defeat of GOP nominee John McCain in the Electoral College and his crossing of one of the most formidable racial barriers the country has confronted, even harder work begins.

As Obama suggested in his acceptance speech  last night, a long road lies ahead. Commentators, grasping for parallels, compare  his arrival in the Oval Office to Abraham Lincoln (a self-taught lawyer) encountering the Civil War and Franklin D. Roosevelt (Harvard, Columbia law) coming to Washington amid the Great Depression.

We won’t predict his success, but we will point out that Obama’s Harvard law degree puts him in the company of our 19th president, Rutherford Hayes (Kenyon College, Harvard law), the only other president — believe it or not — to hold a JD from the Law School. Below is a complete list of our lawyer-presidents.

#2  — John Adams (Harvard, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#3  — Thomas Jefferson (College of William & Mary, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#4  — James Madison (College of New Jersey — now Princeton — then read law)

#6  — John Quincy Adams (Harvard, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#7  — Andrew Jackson (self-taught lawyer)

#8  — Martin Van Buren (Kinderhook Academy, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#10  — John Tyler (College of William & Mary, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#11  — James Polk (University of North Carolina, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#13  — Millard Fillmore (clerked for and studied under New York Judge Walter Wood)

#14  — Franklin Pierce (Bowdoin College, then studied law)

#15  — James Buchanan (Dickinson College, then studied law)

#16  — Abraham Lincoln (No formal education, a self-taught lawyer)

#19  — Rutherford Hayes (Kenyon College, Harvard law)

#21  — Chester Arthur (Union College, then studied law)

#22  — Grover Cleveland (apprenticed as a lawyer)

#23  — Benjamin Harrison (Miami University in Ohio, then studied law)

#25  — William McKinley (Allegheny College, Albany law)

#27  — William Howard Taft (Yale, Cincinnati law)

#28  — Woodrow Wilson (College of New Jersey — now Princeton — then UVA law)

#30  — Calvin Coolidge (Amherst, then apprenticed as a lawyer)

#32  — Franklin Roosevelt (Harvard, Columbia law)

#37  — Richard Nixon (Whittier College, Duke law)

#38  — Gerald Ford (University of Michigan, Yale law)

#42  — Bill Clinton (Georgetown University, Yale law)

#44  — Barack Obama (Columbia, Harvard law)

NOTE:  Our 33rd president, Harry Truman, was the only president who served after 1897 not to earn a college degree. However he did study law for two years at the Kansas City Law School, now the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law. We’ll also point out that Warren Harding, our 29th president, enjoyed great success as a journalist before rising to the White House, yet, sadly, never became a lawyer.

Correction:  Earlier versions of this post incorrectly stated that Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Jackson were not lawyers. An earlier version also incorrectly included Theodore Roosevelt in the list of lawyer-presidents. Roosevelt left Columbia law school before graduating.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom