DISCUSS: Is your girl wrong for not making the plate?

Im also Nigerian and the women prepared my plate every single time. I have never seen anyone else prepare my fathers plate besides my mom. Its just something that we do and men have their roles and expectations.

If your family goes to a buffet does your mother fix your fathers plate there?

I don't need my girl to fix my plate, but I appreciate it. I'm not fixing plates for anyone except mom dukes though. Maybe some of my aunt's but that's bout it. Maybe if my girl was like my baby momma and was holding my kid I'd fix her a plate, but outside of that nah.

Your hands broken? Why can't you fix your own?

Some of yall think so ******* *** backwards. :smh:

So if you're with your girl hypothetically and her car has a flat so she pulls into the gas station, you're gonna let her fill up her own tires?

Some people value traditional gender roles still.

So if you're with your girl hypothetically and her car has a flat so she pulls into the gas station, you're gonna let her fill up her own tires?

U serious right now? :lol:

Comparing fixing a plate to filling up tires.

Only on NT. Yall on something else today :lol:

Yeah bad example. I think most here use your gf inviting to a cookout and she makes you a plate or something. Not like you're at Thanksgiving and you want her fix you a plate and place it front of you.

Yes. My girl got upset that I ate her friends food because she served it to me. I was hungry, and damn sure wasn't turning down a plate :rolleyes

Is this a question from 2015 or the 1800s?

It's one thing if someone is getting food and asks "I'm getting food, you want anything ?", but this just sounds like a lazy chauvinistic mentality

Last edited:
I'm making my own damn plate. I want it just how I want it, ya dig.

Exactly. I hate when people fix my plate and end up skimping on ****. ***** I'm not a damn 5 year old. You better give me that extra drumbstick and scoop of baked mac.

Scenario:
You and ya shorty are at a cookout, and you say that you're hungry. You let your girl know that your hungry, but she's not the type to go around "fixing plates" for dudes so she ignores you. Another woman overhears this and steps up and says "I'll fix his plate". She prances away and comes back with a plate for you. With extra meat. Does your girl have a problem with this?

Discuss
If you already know she isn't that type of girl, then why even ask? lol

Knowing that info, I'd save time and get my plate of food myself.

Wow. I dont even...

Next hes gonna say the woman should have to go half on a wedding ring..

You know you can only campare two things that are the exactly the same.

ESPECIALLY, when you prove someone wrong.

EDIT: I see why women want to be men now. MEN dont want to be men.

Last edited:

How is that different though? They're both something that both people can do. Theyre both a gesture one can do for their mate

I thought, if not all, most women did this. It must be a cultural thing. In my experience, my lady always got me a plate, n kuz she knows what I like, it was always right. If she was unsure, she'd ask what I wanted. I'm not gonna force her to do it, tho sometimes I'm sure she felt obligated kuz the women in my fam :lol: , but it was never a big deal. I don't understand this being a big deal. N for the record, I've fixed their plates until they felt comfortable enough around the fam to venture near the women :lol:

Also, the tire example is comparable kuz both tasks are tied to traditional gender roles.

Ya in certain cultures the woman might fix a plate for her man or whatever, but what OP did was drop clues that he wanted his girl to fix a plate instead just asking.

I don't know of any culture where a man plays mind games with his girl  to do something as simple as fix a plate. That's a woman's trait. 

No disrespect OP.

How is that different though? They're both something that both people can do. Theyre both a gesture one can do for their mate

:lol: How do you not see the extremes here? It's like you're trying to be dense.

I'm not a child, I can get my own food. Don't need my steak cut up for me either.

Yo soy Mexicano. I don't see it  like a woman should or shouldn't. They just do. When I dated my Eritrean chick she would do the same. 

Last edited:
Ya in certain cultures the woman might fix a plate for her man or whatever, but what OP did was drop clues that he wanted his girl to fix a plate instead just asking.

I don't know of any culture where a man plays mind games with his girl  to do something as simple as fix a plate. That's a woman's trait. 

No disrespect OP.

This

Yeah its basically what's taught in your culture. I know for some, if you visit a household the women are expected to at least ask the matriarch if she needs help in the kitchen or with anything else. Otherwise you'd be looked at weird or disrespectful.

For me, I wouldn't be dropping hints to make a plate. I honestly prefer to make it for myself. If my girl says "hey, you want me fix you a plate?" or "let me fix you a plate", then yeah she can go ahead and fix me one.

I wouldn't care if someone else is making me a plate (or her) as long as they getting it for both of us. Like if a lady brings me a burger and hot-dog and my chick is right next to me empty handed, that can be an issue. Or if dude on the grill gets my girl some chicken and I have to go back to request it.

For my situation it would depend.

We're both west indian so within a family cookout context she would fix my plate.

If it's like a friend cook out then she wouldn't. She just not the type. She just not wired like that.

I've learned relying on her for certain comforts is a waste of time so I'd fix my own plate but if another girl, whether she a friend to both of us or just a friend to me (especially when its just a friend to me) and they offer I would let them make it cuz I'm not terribly picky.

She would be salty but she cant act on it cuz she didnt offer to make my plate in the first place. 
nthat.gif

But to directly answer the question a girl is not wrong for not making a plate. Just dont be mad if someone else does or if you get scolded by an older woman for not doing so.

Edit:

I can't lie. She's so used to not acting "traditional" its actually awkward seeing her try to be around her family. It's like watching a parent make her 10 year old do something she doesn't want to. She not smooth with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom