[Discussion] Downsizing/Minimizing Sneaker Collection or Quitting Collecting - WITH TIPS/RESOURCES

Speaking of having a certain number of shoes, I was recently talking to my friend about what my 3 shoes would be to keep if I went back to the simpler times during high school when I only had 3 shoes throughout my entire Senior year. I had the LeBron 4s from Jr year, LeBron 5 for the start of Sr year and a pair of all-white Puma Romas for about a little over the final semester and I rotated those 3 for that entire year. Good times.

Anyway, the list was fairly easy: the Infrared Air Max 90s, the Hyper Grape Air Huaraches and the Jordan 3 Fire Reds from last year. These are the 3 shoes I just love having. It took time, but I realized that I was searching for my next "it" shoe constantly and that my "it" shoe is actually my Infrared 90s, which I love and wear so damn much everywhere. Then comes the Huaraches for being one of the most comfortable retros I've ever had on top of being worn everywhere. The Fire Red AJ3s is my 3rd favorite and it doesn't just only serve as a great casual shoe to wear from time to time, but it somehow serves a purpose where if I get tempted about some hyped or limited release on that day, I put these on and it just erases all the temptations away basically all the time. I don't know how to explain it nor do I know what it is about the AJ3s, but it just does.

Great video for when those types of temptations pop up.

Hilarious, wise and 100% real all at the same time. Of course, the full original video does include fuller conversations about the shoe prices, but the end result remains the same for 50.

EDIT - I forgot the video's uncensored, so here's the direct link to the video, which is a YouTube Short of 50 Cent and G-Unit going sneaker shopping in one of the earlier seasons/episodes of Sneaker Shopping.

Last edited:
Damn, I've been looking for a thread like this lol. I'm trying to figure out whats a reasonable amount of shoes to have lol.

DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFESTYLE HONESTLY.

WHAT DO YOU DO DAILY TO WARRANT X AMOUNT OF PAIRS?

FOR ME, I PROBABLY HAVE A TOTAL OF 50ISH PAIRS. MY NUMBER HAS SLOWLY CREPT BACK UP WITH ME TRYING TO ADD NB’S TO MY COLLECTION, AND DOWNSIZE NIKES. BUT I WORK 8-16HRS 5 DAYS A WEEK AND I WEAR BOOTS.

WHEN IM OFF, IM IN CROCS/FLIP FLOPS, MINIMAL SOCIALIZING.

I MAINLY WEAR MY KICKS WHEN I TRAVEL, AND I TAKE 3-5 TRIPS A YEAR FOR A MINIMUM OF 3 DAYS EACH TRIP, SO ON A 3 DAY TRIP I’LL HAVE 1 PAIR ON AND 1 PAIR IN MY BAG.

WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE, MY COLLECTION WAS CRAZY, I WORE A DIFFERENT PAIR EVERYDAY. :lol:

NOW MY FEET HURT IN DAMNED NEAR ANY NEW PAIR BECAUSE THEY ARENT BROKEN IN. 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤣.

BUT LIKE I SAID, IT JUST DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFESTYLE AND DAILY LIFE. NO SET NUMBER.

4th of July weekend passed, and so did I with all those sales that were popping up. Might've been way easier this time around since I had nothing I was 100% interested in. Anyone else had the same situation here?

4th of July weekend passed, and so did I with all those sales that were popping up. Might've been way easier this time around since I had nothing I was 100% interested in. Anyone else had the same situation here?

Yeah, but not this past weekend. This is what I call "the epiphany moment" when you see stuff on sale and you don't pull the trigger, where in the past one may have bought for the sake of buying. My moment was when I could have gotten the yellow Jordan 35 Chinese New Year shoes. Just sitting on NDC, my size and I couldn't hit "purchase". I waited until later to see if the want would return and it did not! That was when I knew my excessive collecting days were done.

Other than the Mac's that I got an Oop on, and if I can eventually find the OG Flight Huarache for something reasonable, I don't see anything coming out until the Fab 5 Flight Huaraches.

- Watching the dejected look on my toddler daughter's face after I yelled at her for stepping on the toe box of my NBs
This is me.
When picking up my kids, I see them running at me for a hug and immediately go for a wider stance to prevent them stepping on my shoe lol smh
Or when they do step on my shoe, I'm just trying to play it cool, but inside I'm like the Arthur Fist meme.

I have this option turned on and still had an offer that didn’t pay the other day. It’s so frustrating. Only thing worse is the constant messages with just the word, “lowest.”

I got a question. I've only sold one item on eBay which was something that I shipped. But if I have someone who lives close to me and wants to pick it up, how do it set it that the shipping isn't added in to the final total (just want him to be able to pay his offer he submitted)? I'm can't figure it out. I have "local pickup" toggled on, but it doesn't remove the ship. Is it that I have to refund him the $$$ when he picks it up? Thanks for the help.

I got a question. I've only sold one item on eBay which was something that I shipped. But if I have someone who lives close to me and wants to pick it up, how do it set it that the shipping isn't added in to the final total (just want him to be able to pay his offer he submitted)? I'm can't figure it out. I have "local pickup" toggled on, but it doesn't remove the ship. Is it that I have to refund him the $$$ when he picks it up? Thanks for the help.
Not sure. Sorry.

You should be able to edit the shipping costs when you send the invoice. Look for the "Send Invoice" option.

DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFESTYLE HONESTLY.

WHAT DO YOU DO DAILY TO WARRANT X AMOUNT OF PAIRS?

FOR ME, I PROBABLY HAVE A TOTAL OF 50ISH PAIRS. MY NUMBER HAS SLOWLY CREPT BACK UP WITH ME TRYING TO ADD NB’S TO MY COLLECTION, AND DOWNSIZE NIKES. BUT I WORK 8-16HRS 5 DAYS A WEEK AND I WEAR BOOTS.

WHEN IM OFF, IM IN CROCS/FLIP FLOPS, MINIMAL SOCIALIZING.

I MAINLY WEAR MY KICKS WHEN I TRAVEL, AND I TAKE 3-5 TRIPS A YEAR FOR A MINIMUM OF 3 DAYS EACH TRIP, SO ON A 3 DAY TRIP I’LL HAVE 1 PAIR ON AND 1 PAIR IN MY BAG.

WHEN I WAS IN COLLEGE, MY COLLECTION WAS CRAZY, I WORE A DIFFERENT PAIR EVERYDAY. :lol:

NOW MY FEET HURT IN DAMNED NEAR ANY NEW PAIR BECAUSE THEY ARENT BROKEN IN. 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤣.

BUT LIKE I SAID, IT JUST DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFESTYLE AND DAILY LIFE. NO SET NUMBER.
If you’re in boots for work, flip flops/crocs otherwise, and sneakers for trips…. Sounds like you need like 10 pairs bro lol

You should be able to edit the shipping costs when you send the invoice. Look for the "Send Invoice" option.

Is that on the listing page before they pay? When I make the listing up? I don't want to make him pay when there is no way to adjust it if I ask him to complete the offer. Thanks so much.

Is that on the listing page before they pay? When I make the listing up? I don't want to make him pay when there is no way to adjust it if I ask him to complete the offer. Thanks so much.

Not sure exactly, I'd have to look deeper which I honestly won't be doing. You might just have to simply refund him in person.

I think if it goes through the Authenticity Guarantee process, you might need to find a workaround. Before all of this, there used to be an option for local pick-up when you made the listing. You probably still can do it, but you'd have to recategorize your listing likely.

I think if it goes through the Authenticity Guarantee process, you might need to find a workaround. Before all of this, there used to be an option for local pick-up when you made the listing. You probably still can do it, but you'd have to recategorize your listing likely.

Thanks guys, I'll just make it that is anyone wants to pick up locally, I'll have the "local pickup" marked yes, and then just bring cash to refund them when we meet up. 👍

Sold 10 pairs so far this year. 12 more still listed, however, I have a feeling it could take awhile to move them all. Wish it were a faster process, but what can you do. I have some pretty valuable (not hyped shoes, but some going for well over retail) pairs on there at VERY reasonable prices compared to what others are listing theirs for, which are much crappier condition. Oh well; it is what it is.

Still good progress pwguy pwguy !

So I was kinda hesitant to share this because it's fairly detailed, but one of the inspirations for me making this thread is also this moment in particular.

Last year from June 15th - July 15th, I just went off on shoes because of the combination of stress, emotions, boredom and influence (social media and from the Asian streetwear that I kept seeing when I was in Richmond BC [Canada]) and I just snapped. This is one of the few "episodes" I had last year in 2022. There were 2 other shoes I bought that I already had sent back at the time of this picture and I had 7 more pairs a few days after I took that picture. I only kept 2 of the 25 pairs of shoes that timeframe: the Air Max 1 By You dedicated to my dog who passed that year and some indoor trainers. Everything else was gone within the following month or just some time well before the end of the year.

20230706_183820-COLLAGE~3.jpg

Fast forward to this time from June 15th to July 14th - SIGNIFICANTLY tamed. Maybe could've gone with just one of the pairs and hold off on the Reacts as they don't work well for my feet, but it's still good progress. Much clearer mindset, a lot more aware, a lot less tempted, and just much better planning to really enjoy these pick-ups.

My friend asked me earlier this year, "How many shoes did you think you bought in 2022?" I thought she meant just purchased in general; it didn't matter if I kept it or not. After looking through pictures, email receipts, and bank statements... I counted 115 pairs with a total of ~$16,000 spent. SIXTEEN THOSUAND DOLLARS! I only kept 11 of all of that by the end of 2022. Everything else was short-lived pairs to get that quick "high" before it wore off, and/or it was just pure impulse, so they were just returned and sold off. It got extremely bad. It also made me realize that some of us buy way more shoes and spend way more money than we think we do.

Halfway through this year and I made 20 purchases (with only about 4-5 pairs kept). February was my worst month from indecisiveness and impulsiveness and I don't know why I thought having 4 pairs of the Big Bubble Air Max 1s was a good idea in March. If those situations didn't happen, that number would be reduced to 8 or 9 pairs. With that all said, it's still progress.

16k in one year for shoes is insane. Impulse buys got me at times too in the past. I’ve been pretty good this year. Bought about 5 pairs of shoes and selling between 5-10 pairs.

16k in one year for shoes is insane. Impulse buys got me at times too in the past. I’ve been pretty good this year. Bought about 5 pairs of shoes and selling between 5-10 pairs.
That's really good. That's my goal one day or hopefully very soon: to buy so little or little enough in moderation like that to where it's basically a become a non-issue.

Yeah 115 pairs in a year is crazy. You were wildin. 🤣🤣

I can’t say 16k isn’t wild b/c I’ve def spent that much in a year, but not on that many pairs. Which now that I type that may be even worse lol.

Skip eBay all together to avoid the fees

Glad this thread came up.

Been buying less and less shoes in general. I dont have the I NEED these emotions anymore.
Rarely buy clothes anymore forreal. Gave a ton to my brother and goodwill tryna get rid of stuff.

Looking at my closet is kinda stressful to be real. Too much ****. Shoe wise half or more of the shoes I got feeling too tight or uncomfortable so they just sit and sit.

I really wanna get rid of most of it and buy some new staples on the minimal aspect. I want more outdoor and practical wear.

Its such a weird emotional attachment to materials.

Comfort is king nowadays tho. I think its time to cash out all things that arent serving me proper.

Back
Top Bottom