Do you get angry when people

try to be funny with a stereotype even if its not about your race?
The other day we were in class discussing different forms of research, and one of the forms of research were interviews,
so my teacher was like "If you wanted to find info on Latinos or Hispanic people where would you look?" and then some
kid was like just set up a taco stand, they'll come.. and everyone was like
laugh.gif
but also
eek.gif
like did he really just say that?
me i was like
indifferent.gif
than
smh.gif
than i got real heated for some reason i wanted to get out of my chair and throw it at him

can you guys relate?
I'm brown btw

I get real heated when ignorant white people think every one who speaks spanish is mexican.
Theirs mass other countries who are hispanic.

Man one time I almost felt like shooting this kids. I swear.

Not really. I'm kicking back and enjoying it. In sociology, a lot of people (white) are getting exposed for how they view a race because all they know iswhat they see on television. Just the other day in SOC discussion, some kid the colonization of Africa was development. I was like
eek.gif
smh.gif
and proceeded tokick knowledge. My TA is from Zimbabwe so she had a little to say also.

Sometimes. I agree with Cuse, some people use a Sociology class or Psychology class when you're talking about other cultural groups to just throw all kindof racism and xenophobia out there. In my Developmental Psych class, this guy stayed just throwing out nonsense. He was talking about how black children have alesser capacity to develop knowledge because of evolution and the darker skinned individuals are lesser removed from being monkeys. He claimed white brains arewired toward domination and Black/Middle Eastern/Latinos brains or wired toward material gain through any means necessary, crime being the only most arecapable of. He ended up dropping, or either just decided to stop coming or maybe the professor even kicked him out of the course because she used to getheated. of course, it's ok because he always prefaced it with, "Not to be racist but.... I mean, I got a [insert group he generalized] friend."

Originally Posted by Los Benjaminz

I get real heated when ignorant white people think every one who speaks spanish is mexican.

Same with asians.. everyone thinks asians could speak chinese..

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Sometimes. I agree with Cuse, some people use a Sociology class or Psychology class when you're talking about other cultural groups to just throw all kind of racism and xenophobia out there. In my Developmental Psych class, this guy stayed just throwing out nonsense. He was talking about how black children have a lesser capacity to develop knowledge because of evolution and the darker skinned individuals are lesser removed from being monkeys. He claimed white brains are wired toward domination and Black/Middle Eastern/Latinos brains or wired toward material gain through any means necessary, crime being the only most are capable of. He ended up dropping, or either just decided to stop coming or maybe the professor even kicked him out of the course because she used to get heated. of course, it's ok because he always prefaced it with, "Not to be racist but.... I mean, I got a [insert group he generalized] friend."

I truly hate people like that. Seriously.

I hate when chinese people discriminate their own race just for a few petty laughs in class
smh.gif
.... It wasn't even funny, The class just had to laughbecause the kid is popular in class. I can't stand my Chinese class, Class is so boring there that we will laugh at anything... Still smh at people.

Not even gonna lie, me & my boys make jokes bout stereotypes all the time. We are all different races though. I'm black/white and the crew ismexican/italian, german, native american/black, korean, & white . we just do it mostly to clown on each other though.

one time in my Comp class, this dude was getting me real pissed off when he said that majority of Muslims believe in jihad as in terroristic acts. I was heatedbecause except for 2 people (myself included) out of 28 students thought that !$# was funny. and the 26 that did were all white
indifferent.gif
. I take offense to stuff like that because I got family that is Muslim.

I crack stereotype jokes all the time..but only to ppl who I have known for a while. I keep it tame to my classmates and those who I don't know too well.

youd be surprised at how much racist
69d35c6be00e5fc4932f9fefb06bc341133e760.gif
our white "friends" and acquaintances say when us minorities aren't around
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by itsmexyp

r138396_472631.jpg

too soon
tired.gif
tired.gif

I could care less if it's about my race or anyone elses it's a waste of my time and energy to get upset.

laugh.gif

The irony and ignorance in this thread....

youd be surprised at how much racist
69d35c6be00e5fc4932f9fefb06bc341133e760.gif
our white "friends" and acquaintances say when us minorities aren't around

Ya'll seriously think that only "White" people are racist,
laugh.gif
. I'm Mexican, hung out with people of all races/ethnicities and most thinkthat all Latin people are Mexican, until I school them. A lot of black people that I come across referr to Latino's as Mexican. Some of it is innocentignorance and all you have to do is drop knowledge instead of sitting in your seat fuming. Most of them get the
embarassed.gif
, face and apologize and thank me for letting them know. Someone onceasked me "What part of Mexico is El Salvador in?", I just laughed and told that person that El Salvador is not a part of Mexico, and is located inCentral America. It isn't right to tell a person from El Salvador that they are Mexican, it is offensive to many. You can refer to them as Latino sinceEl Salvador is in Central America and is a part of the region known as Latin America (Mexico, Central America, South America, DR, PR, etc).

That is the problem with people nowadays, all they do is stay quiet and be bitter instead of taking action and dropping knowledge. You can't blame peoplefor being ignorant when all you do is stay quiet and don't speak up.

Originally Posted by Prez T

Originally Posted by itsmexyp

r138396_472631.jpg

too soon
tired.gif
tired.gif

Not really. I think its been long enough for the attempt, even though ittakes L's at just not being funny.

I don't get angry, but I'm filipino and whenever my boys try to make fun that all asians looks alike, I just remind them that we're not the onescomplaining about being profiled all the time
laugh.gif
that usually shuts themup, but it's all in fun. nothing serious

Originally Posted by 18th letter

try to be funny with a stereotype even if its not about your race?
The other day we were in class discussing different forms of research, and one of the forms of research were interviews,
so my teacher was like "If you wanted to find info on Latinos or Hispanic people where would you look?" and then some
kid was like just set up a taco stand, they'll come.. and everyone was like
laugh.gif
but also
eek.gif
like did he really just say that?
me i was like
indifferent.gif
than
smh.gif
than i got real heated for some reason i wanted to get out of my chair and throw it at him

can you guys relate?
I'm brown btw

Whats wrong with liking tacos???

taco.gif

They're delicious

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DCaz102

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

Sometimes. I agree with Cuse, some people use a Sociology class or Psychology class when you're talking about other cultural groups to just throw all kind of racism and xenophobia out there. In my Developmental Psych class, this guy stayed just throwing out nonsense. He was talking about how black children have a lesser capacity to develop knowledge because of evolution and the darker skinned individuals are lesser removed from being monkeys. He claimed white brains are wired toward domination and Black/Middle Eastern/Latinos brains or wired toward material gain through any means necessary, crime being the only most are capable of. He ended up dropping, or either just decided to stop coming or maybe the professor even kicked him out of the course because she used to get heated. of course, it's ok because he always prefaced it with, "Not to be racist but.... I mean, I got a [insert group he generalized] friend."

I truly hate people like that. Seriously.

yea, me and dude wouldnt have got along at all
eyes.gif

Yea I don't know how to tell one Asian from another (Korean/Chinese/etc.), nor the Latin Americans. I wouldn't attempt to call you one if I didn'tknow though, like I wouldn't call you "Hey Chinese guy," not knowing if you were Chinese or not, that's rude on so many levels.

And it's easy to drop knowledge on something as minor as being like, "I'm not Korean, I'm Japanese," but when it comes to racialsterotypes and things, to undo all the pontification of the Bill OReillys/Ann Counters/Glenn Becks/etc. and what their parents may have taught them and thenwhat they've seen on tv.

Only time I've ever really said something was when I told the lady at the Dollar Store in Vegas I don't need to steal anything from a store whereeverything is a dollar, and logically wouldn't be in one of the more expensive vacation districts in the country if I did. And one time I told a girl shecan loosen up, I'm not going to steal her purse and paid 1000$+ to be in this classroom just like she did.

I'm always low key about it though, I don't spazz out and start yelling. People seemed to be scared enough of me already.

I hate when people do that kind of stuff too as well. Maybe if it's just your close friends joking about each other it's all good. But inside aclassroom or just people you don't know is a big no no.

Also this might be off topic, but...

I really hate when I see/hear people calling each other the N word even though they're both of the same racial background. I find it quite ironic that I asa white man would get my butt kicked if I called somebody that (which I wouldn't do cuz I hate that word) but it's all a laughing matter if it'stwo black guys saying to each other.

IMO - That is like insulting yourself. Why would you wanna degrade yourself. I can't comprehend that. By you saying that word you are just enforcing andagreeing that you are actually what you are saying. That's how I see it at least.

Also the other thing that makes me mad is that since I'm white, everybody wants to blame slavery or racism on me. Not EVERY white person had slaves norwere they racist. Yes lots of people are today, and there are lots of other ethnicities who are quite racist too.

I had this one lady out of nowhere call me a racist. I couldn't believe what I heard. My best friend is from AFRICA for crying out loud. In fact 90% of allmy friends are not even my own ethnicity. I claim at least 3 of them as my brothers, and their moms are my mom too. I got a friend who I never even address asmy friend. Even out in public I introduce them as my brother. Sorry I got a lil off topic and turned this into a defensive statement.

Bottom Line - Everybody is a person and deserves to be treated like one. Respect each other and learn to broaden your horizon and start standing up for what isright. People can be different AND co-exist in the same world. It's possible, just takes some work. Peace . -abernja-

had this one lady out of nowhere call me a racist. I couldn't believe what I heard. My best friend is from AFRICA for crying out loud.

I chuckled.
laugh.gif

I feel what you're saying on the N-word though. I'm trying to dead it from my vocabulary.

Back
Top Bottom