Does Anyone On NT Work In The Music Business?

Networking is key.

I'm trying to get on as a songwriter. And most if not all stories I've read about people getting their start has been based off who they know/knew. If you have the right material and link up with an artist who does it justice that could be your in. I think the hard part is discerning between those who are truly capable of helping you and those just making a profit off of dreams. An example would be Blazetrak. I've read and seen claims of it being useful, but at the end of the day it seems to be more of a side hustle than any real benefit. Hell, James Fauntleroy just tweeted a few days ago that no A&Rs have been responsible for any of his placements. It's a cold game. I do think with the internet it makes it a lot easier and maybe even smarter decision to be an Indie artist. Best of luck to everyone in pursuit.

the last 2 posts in here tried to change the direction of this thread smfh

anyway...

View media item 233152

we got that top banner on datpiff
still not good enough to be on complex, the smoking section, onSMASH, XXL, RapRadar, MissInfo, illroots, hypetrak, pigeons&planes, & etc...

network game skressful.

there has to be a legitimate buzz somewhere for all of those publications.
just the banner itself or co-sign itself won't create an actual buzz.

idk b... a soulja boy co-sign nowadays is kind buzz-worthy

View media item 233311

Nas' co-sign for Jay Electronica brought him a tremendous buzz.. but w/e, i'm still tryna figure it all out. the thing is onSmash and XXL used to post up Nino, so did the Smoking Section, Complex asked Royce da 5'9" about Nino, he was also on HypeTrak via a collabo that Vakill asked him to be on, not sure about the rest though. I guess taking a 2 year rap hiatus just has ppl forget about u. time to build those relationships back up.
Jay Electronica is ill so once people heard him it was a wrap. if the music ain't makin people take notice, no real buzz will happen.

Nas' co-sign for Jay Electronica brought him a tremendous buzz.. but w/e, i'm still tryna figure it all out. the thing is onSmash and XXL used to post up Nino, so did the Smoking Section, Complex asked Royce da 5'9" about Nino, he was also on HypeTrak via a collabo that Vakill asked him to be on, not sure about the rest though. I guess taking a 2 year rap hiatus just has ppl forget about u. time to build those relationships back up.
Labels are looking for someone with a movement and more importantly, music videos and vlogs that show that the artist has already marketed himself...

Would any of you guys have any advice for a producer on his own with a couple of talented but unmotivated friends... :smh:

​
Labels are looking for someone with a movement and more importantly, music videos and vlogs that show that the artist has already marketed himself...​
in regards to my team, we're not looking for a label, we just want the blog posts from the ones we're not getting posts from.
Well same thing sort of applies . . . think about how many rappers they come across

Rappers come across in combos of the following three categories

1. Conscious Rapper

2. Street Rapper

3. Ignorant/Party Rapper

So if they get tons of emails, requests or whatever from these types of dudes every day, why should they give a **** about your mans? What makes him different . . .

Would any of you guys have any advice for a producer on his own with a couple of talented but unmotivated friends...
mean.gif
I would say not to work with them and take the time to go out and seek talented and motivated artists. It takes so much time, money and effort as a producer to perfect your craft and everyone on your team has to be on point. I mentioned in a earlier post that I flew out to NYC this weekend for a showcase for label A&Rs/Managers and one of the members of my team came up as well. We were ready with cds, cards, the presentation and showed up to the studio an hour and a half early. I ended up being able to meet the panel an hour before my slated time because someone else for that spot wasn't there yet, and I got to meet with all of them longer than the given time slot because of it. One of the A&Rs noted how well I was prepared, and that's due to having a good team to back you. The host of the event invited us to a session at Daddy's House (Diddy's NYC Studio) last night, which was unexpected, but very much appreciated and got a chance to network with a lot of people. Out of all of the artists for the showcase, me and my associate were the only ones invited. That doesn't happen with having a team of unmotivated people. Surround yourself with a great team, work hard and network like crazy.

Would any of you guys have any advice for a producer on his own with a couple of talented but unmotivated friends... :smh:

I would say the same thing that Iceman said which is to not work with them. Seek out people that take their craft/careers serious because you are not going to get anywhere working with other people that bring down your work ethic.

I would say the same thing that Iceman said which is to not work with them. Seek out people that take their craft/careers serious because you are not going to get anywhere working with other people that bring down your work ethic.

This is a dope thread. I gotta question myself. As a manager how do you keep your artists motivated and on track? And what key advice would you provide a novice manager still trying to break his artist into the industry?

This is a dope thread. I gotta question myself. As a manager how do you keep your artists motivated and on track? And what key advice would you provide a novice manager still trying to break his artist into the industry?

You should not have to keep your artist motivated they should already be motivated if they truly want to be an artist in the music industry. As a manager the main thing you can do is just network and always remember a hand shake goes a long way. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and make moves because the worst they can say is no but then you just keep it moving until someone picks it up.

Before I got my full time job in the industry, I was managing a small pop artist. My partner and I picked up the phone and called the local major league baseball team and tried to get permission to film a music video in the stadium. We had no connections there or knew no one but by picking up the phone and asking they allowed us and gave us a few gigs before the games during the summer. He was the first artist to ever be able to film a music video inside the stadium and that was all just by cold calling and networking. The advice I have is get on your grind and get his music out there exposed.

I would say not to work with them and take the time to go out and seek talented and motivated artists. It takes so much time, money and effort as a producer to perfect your craft and everyone on your team has to be on point. I mentioned in a earlier post that I flew out to NYC this weekend for a showcase for label A&Rs/Managers and one of the members of my team came up as well. We were ready with cds, cards, the presentation and showed up to the studio an hour and a half early. I ended up being able to meet the panel an hour before my slated time because someone else for that spot wasn't there yet, and I got to meet with all of them longer than the given time slot because of it. One of the A&Rs noted how well I was prepared, and that's due to having a good team to back you. The host of the event invited us to a session at Daddy's House (Diddy's NYC Studio) last night, which was unexpected, but very much appreciated and got a chance to network with a lot of people. Out of all of the artists for the showcase, me and my associate were the only ones invited. That doesn't happen with having a team of unmotivated people. Surround yourself with a great team, work hard and network like crazy.

that's how you make progress! honestly need talent + drive + organization for you AND the team supporting you. as u get bigger, you get more on ur plate and being late, but as a newcomer, theres not really an excuse to waste time of any A&R or label rep, etc..

send me ur stuff iceman, id love to check it out

Any advice on someone trying to come up on the production side of the business?
A good way to get exposure are through beat battles, such as iStandard Showcases or Red Bull. I did one sponsored by iStandard and that definitely gained some exposure for me and I plan on doing more this year. Also, going to different cities and hitting up studios and having sessions will help, especially in major cities like NY, LA, ATL and Miami. Having a manager that has connections is always helpful as well. Sound-wise, whatever user-interface you use, learn the ends and outs of it and perfect your sound. I good mantra that I work off of is I literally get pissed when hearing new music/production from great producers (IMO) like the Neptunes, Timbaland (when he's motivated), Ryan Leslie, Bink, 'ye, etc., and say I wish I thought of that beat. That motivates me to make music to piss off (and inspire) others to want to make the sound that I'm making. Hope that helps.

EVERYTHING iceman said is great advice - I gained most of my exposure through beat battles.

ALSO - Find out who the top artists are in your city or town and reach out to them - A humble approach asking if they are looking for beats and what projects they are working on will get you at least a starting point. (an email to send beats to) - I have made a lot of great contacts this way via Twitter

Do your research on these cats - they will probably mention what producers they are currently working with via Twitter and whatnot - Listen to their latest work and make beats in that lane but better - it will get you noticed if you send them heat, in the very least it will make you a better producer.

Be present in the music scene in your city - (im not saying go to every single open Mic) but what I did when I was very first getting started was do a random google search like "Beat battle in washington DC (or wherever you are from)" you will get results of past events that can give you an idea of people to follow on twitter/ link up w/ in the future....

finally

peep websites like dynamicproducer.com - istandard is great also - depending on who you ask PMPworldwide.com is either the devil or a great platform to get your name out there and submit to high level industry opportunities.

Man this is great life advice in general. Salute :pimp:

Just saw this thread. I'm in law school right now with the hope of working in the music industry when I'm done.

I've interned at a few music publishers, worked a couple jobs at Sony Music and am currently interning with Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts in NYC helping people with music and arts-related legal issues and questions. This summer ill be working at a prominent law firm within the industry. So, if anyone has any questions I'd be glad to talk to anyone about general legal advice pertaining to the music business. Just know that I'm not a lawyer but I do know a few thangs.

My initial advice is to meet people. Be passionate about your stuff to other people, don't just sit in your bedroom or on tumblr with a record you think is hot. I've gotten opportunities simply by calling the right person who put me in touch with the right person.

this thread is 
pimp.gif

to GHOST, u seem to grind hard, hope things look up for u in the future. in my opinion i would tell homie drop the bless and stick to nino. the "nino bless" doesnt have that "it" ring to it. again just my opinion. i always wanted to make beats but never had the funds or even kno how to start 
tired.gif
 i have a question.

how do producers get paid off beats? is percentage of sales?up front?

Producers who have some clout usually will charge a flat fee just to use them, but all producers take some of the writing credit on the song and end up making percentages of the royalties from performances (live, radio, stream, etc.) as well as sales (single, album, ringtone, etc)

Good thread.  I believe that you can make somewhat of a buzz with mediocre talent and lots of money at your disposal.  Talent is coming back around to helping people make it but that does not come without the grind.  The Internet is loaded with numerous tools to help build a fan base / buzz.  Its a level playing field right now.  Talent & hard work go a very long way.

I've done music for a very long time.  Started out in a group and was able to gain good experience but the group soon fell apart.  Ive recently released some solo material that would be considered horrorcore.  Its gotten good responses.  Most recently I released a song that is not so horror core and have gotten some nice response from it as well.  One thing I learned when I was younger is never to thing that music was just going to pay my bills.  The whole "Im going to blow up" mentality can make for disappointment.  I've always maintained an education and formed a career out of that.  I will never stop doing music.  If I were to become successful in it that would be awesome  if not I have no problem with that either.

Back
Top Bottom