Does the good in life outweigh the bad? Vol. Are some risks really worth taking?

iblink

Banned
This is geared to the more mature NT'ers... preferably those married with a kid or two, but anyone can give their opinions.

Lately I've been thinking about the risks people take in life. Say you have two people, for the sake of reasoning we'll call them person A and personB.

Person A is a man on his way to living out the dream; wife, kid on the way, nice place to stay, good job, etc.

Person B is a man who's only living for his own perception of happiness. He's not married, but he dates multiple women. No kids. He has an okay deskjob, but since there are no significant others in his life, his can spend his earnings on himself.

Person A has taken more risks in life than Person B. And while it may seem as though Person B is missing out on things, some those risks taken by Person A canprove to be detrimental in the long run.

He risked his heart by falling in love with a woman and taking her to be his wife. But there are factors involved in his life that can lead to the marriagefailing. Person A's job, though a good one, requires a lot of his time and effort that could other wise be devoted to his wife and upcoming child. Once hischild is born, that can lead to the wedge being driven even further between him and his wife seeing as they'll both have a new priority. Person A has toworry about maintaining his marriage, his job, and his child. And god forbid his child were to end up becoming a social deviant later on. He took another riskby bringing a new life into this world without any concrete evidence of how his child would turn out. So the things that would seem to be "ideal" inlife are never a sure thing. Are they really worth the risk?

Person B, on the other hand, has none of these issues to worry about. All that plagues his mind is trying to advance in his job, and who he can take out todinner for a nice evening later on. He can settle done in a small condo and live the life of a bachelor for the rest of his days, but he'd never experiencethe joys of life. But when you analyze some of those "joys", they're comparable to risks that you can't go back from. So is he really losing?

imo id rather be person a anyday. theres only so much partying and dating you can do. no one wants to die alone i would assume. i cant wait to get married andhave children.

Originally Posted by ZEEN1NE

it all depends on what you want

Say you want HAPPINESS in the most basic meaning of the word.

Do you stand a better chance of obtaining happiness by taking risks like person A, or taking it one day at a time like person B?

It's highly subjective.

What I'm trying to get at is the notion of whether some risks are worth taking to obtain happiness. Because when it's all said and done, none of thoserisks guarantee happiness.

I believe its up to YOU. I would like to be Person A, but I can't say Person B will be happier b/c
they have less room for failure.

What I'm trying to get at is the notion of whether some risks are worth taking to obtain happiness. Because when it's all said and done, none of those risks guarantee happiness.
NOT risking anything doesn't guarantee your happiness either though.

...inaction is just as apt to lead you down the path of misery than taking risks.

and Re:
He risked his heart by falling in love with a woman and taking her to be his wife. But there are factors involved in his life that can lead to the marriage failing. Person A's job, though a good one, requires a lot of his time and effort that could other wise be devoted to his wife and upcoming child. Once his child is born, that can lead to the wedge being driven even further between him and his wife seeing as they'll both have a new priority. Person A has to worry about maintaining his marriage, his job, and his child. And god forbid his child were to end up becoming a social deviant later on. He took another risk by bringing a new life into this world without any concrete evidence of how his child would turn out. So the things that would seem to be "ideal" in life are never a sure thing. Are they really worth the risk?

yet you don't consider the upside..

where by the man lives a full life with his wife and children. They grow to have children of their own and create a super large and close family

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

What I'm trying to get at is the notion of whether some risks are worth taking to obtain happiness. Because when it's all said and done, none of those risks guarantee happiness.
NOT risking anything doesn't guarantee your happiness either though.

...inaction is just as apt to lead you down the path of misery than taking risks.

and Re:
He risked his heart by falling in love with a woman and taking her to be his wife. But there are factors involved in his life that can lead to the marriage failing. Person A's job, though a good one, requires a lot of his time and effort that could other wise be devoted to his wife and upcoming child. Once his child is born, that can lead to the wedge being driven even further between him and his wife seeing as they'll both have a new priority. Person A has to worry about maintaining his marriage, his job, and his child. And god forbid his child were to end up becoming a social deviant later on. He took another risk by bringing a new life into this world without any concrete evidence of how his child would turn out. So the things that would seem to be "ideal" in life are never a sure thing. Are they really worth the risk?

yet you don't consider the upside..

where by the man lives a full life with his wife and children. They grow to have children of their own and create a super large and close family

pimp.gif
I would personally rather be person A over person B. Actually I'vebeen person B and I'm moving towards being person A as I get older. First child on the way due in October. Not married yet but in a serious relationship...Loving life....

Good point Dirty, no point in arguing against that. I did take into consideration the thought of everything panning out well for Person A, I just didn'tinclude it in the paragraph.

As far as the inaction of person B, one can also say that he is taking an active role in life, just avoiding somecomplications. Keep in mind that he is a productive member of society who does seek relations with other... things just never escalates for him.

Originally Posted by ZEEN1NE

it all depends on what you want
yea right now Person B is where Im trying to be. However I can see me transforming into Person A in 10 years.

at this point the bills are piling up, and no jobs are calling me back......I have all the time in the world to "chill", and I got the girl i wantedfor the last year....but it going at the rate i want it to.....uhhh, when im drinkin is the only time im happy with life more then note.

Great thread...

YOU and only YOU determine your outcomes based on happiness.

Like people mentioned already, lack of risk taking prevents the discoveries of many opportunities----whether good or bad or emotional or logical opportunities.

Taking risks is the only way you are going to achieve some sort of emotional feeling----happiness, depression, intellegent, confident...whatever.

With either scenario in your personA v. personB case---without taking a risk, one will never grow----you have to go through the pains of risks, to acheivegrowth. Apply this to ANYTHING in life.

Why do you think people who get physically strong working out their muscles?---because taking risks of exerting or using their muscles beyond their normalcomfort level causes soreness and pain, but over time, their muscles grow and become stronger.

That's why taking risks in important. I believe the good will always outweigh the bad when you take calculated risks. It can only make you stronger andwiser.

I'm going to be person B until like 25 or so, but im definitely getting married.

People have different desires in life; I would like to travel learn and explore before starting a family. Everyone knows its less likely to happen after youstart a family. Being single your whole life cant be good, unless your like a scientist that devoted his life on some lives work, even then he will probablydie with a bitter heart.

Life is a pointless waste of time. A practice in futility if you will. May as well have as much fun before you end up 6 ft into the crust of this @#$%holerock we call Earth.

Right now i am person A and everything in my life is slowly falling apart. At the moment i am lost and i dont know what to do. I am scared that i am going tolose my family. I love my daughter to death but i feel that since me an my girl fight constantly and i am always working i might lose her. I have so much on mymind that its killing me. But i do not regret any of my decisions because my little baby girl is my life and is the only person that truly makes me happy.

At the first gut, sub-conscious level... majority of the time its always right.

Sometimes we all need to say ourselves in the right circumstances: What do I got to lose?

Back
Top Bottom