Drake says he's the first person to successfully sing and rap...

808's success had nothing to do with So Far Gone; Drake had been building a big buzz well before 808's
I am not arguing Drake is the first to do it; I am arguing with all the clowns who jock rode Drake two years ago and now try to clown his every move which to me is just a sign they feel like he became too big for them

Not sure I agree. Below are the first two reviews I found after a quick Google search.

New York Times:

My, how quickly the values of Kanye West’s “808s & Heartbreak” have been mainstreamed. On the mixtape “So Far Gone,” the Toronto rapper Drake follows Mr. West’s cues to a tee: singing in a chilly, digital coo, and rapping at the intersection of modesty and peacocking. “When my diamond chain is on/Still nothing’s set in stone,” he raps on “The Calm.” “To make everybody happy/I think I would need a clone.” Released last month, this is one of the year’s best hip-hop projects. (It can be downloaded free at octobersveryown.blogspot.com.) And it’s not only Mr. West that Drake has his sights on. Turns out that Drake — formerly the child actor Aubrey Graham, of “Degrassi: The Next Generation” — is as adept at many styles as his mentor, Lil Wayne. There’s “A Night Off,” a woozy collaboration with the tender R&B singer Lloyd; an astral reimagination of “Little Bit” by the Swedish indie pippin Lykke Li; and on “November 18th” a tribute to DJ Screw, the pioneer of Houston’s chopped-and-screwed rap, who died in 2000.

Pitchfork:

And yet So Far Gone still scans as one of the most compulsively listenable mixtapes of a great year for mixtapes. Blame Kanye. Drake isn't just a post-Kanye artist; he's a post-808s and Heartbreak artist, possibly the first. On that album, Kanye drifted lazily from rapping to singing over a bed of rippling lush-but-sparse electro that still gets better every time I hear it. Drake does much the same thing on So Far Gone. He's a singer/rapper in the Missy Elliott mode, and he even pays Missy tribute by swiping the beat from her "Friendly Skies" for "Bria's Interlude". When he swings from rapping to buttery teen-idol singing, it feels organic and effortless, like he's just doing whatever makes the most sense at any given moment.

Musically, Drake favors a very specific sort of sugary but spacious electro-soul; nearly every track makes heavy use of organ sustain and sparse heartbeat drums. He uses tracks from Swede-pop types like Lykke Li and Peter Bjorn and John, the sort of thing that seems forced and gimmicky when most rappers do it. In Drake's hands, though, those songs make sense in close proximity to, say, Jay-Z's "Ignorant ****" or Kanye's "Say You Will". And it helps that he actually interacts with his source material. With "Little Bit", Drake doesn't simply rap over Lykke Li's original. Instead, he structures it like a duet, he and Lykke slowly circling each other and admitting their crushed-out feelings. It's cute. My favorite track on the tape is the DJ Screw tribute "November 18th", wherein Drake pulls off something that I've never heard any actual Houstonians manage (sorry, Big Moe): He turns Screw's slow, woozy sound into loverman R&B. The lyrical conceit is goofy as hell ("Tonight I'll just **** you like we're in Houston"-- slow, get it?), but Drake's angelic falsetto floats beautifully over the smeared-streetlights track, and it just sounds right.

And then there's all that price-of-fame stuff. Again, blame Kanye, because somehow this comes out sounding slippery and interesting rather than petulant and unbearable. See, Drake's figured out that the way to brag backhandedly-- to brag without bragging-- is to complain about all the awesome **** that you get to endure. So here he is on "The Calm": "Look what I became, tryna make a name/ All my first dates are interrupted by my fame." Other rappers talk big about getting mobbed every time I hit the mall; Drake complains about those masses making his candlelit dinners a little bit more awkward. Or: "My mother embarrassed to pull my Phantom out, so I park about five houses down." You learn he has a Phantom, and you also learn that it's the source of some family strife that doesn't even make sense. Crafty. And now that Drake is really, truly famous, he should really have some **** to complain about.

And for the record, I actually like Drake's music, but claiming to be the first artist to successfully sing and rap is absolutely ludicrous. Let's not live in the moment too much.

Last edited:
50 Cent singing a few fixed hooks on his record doesn't make him a singer :lol:
now tell us why Drake won't be relevant in 10 years; you still seem to be avoiding answering it

You didn't read dudes entire post you just quoted? He clearly explained why :lol:

It is really hard to predict if someone will sustain a certain level for 10 years....a lot can happen in 10 years and no one stays the same forever. People get bored, people branch out/grow and may want to try different things. He might go back into acting or decide he wants to form a label of his own or try his hand at producing.

But someone actually said.....Nelly > Drake. Oh word?

The same reason how NT turned on Drake, is the same reason why nothing in today's society stays relevant. Of course theres exceptions.

Another reason is that all popular culture for the most part is geared towards and supported by the young.

Especially in hip-hop.  The tendencies of it's largest demographic are inherently erratic. 

NT likes to make it seem shameful to be trend conscious or to have been susceptible to them

at some point.

Last edited:
Another reason is that all popular culture for the most part is geared towards and supported by the young.
Especially in hip-hop.  The tendencies of it's largest demographic are inherently erratic. 
NT likes to make it seem shameful to be trend conscious or to have been susceptible to them
at some point.

There is nothing wrong with being aware or conscious of trends....but to have your foundation based on them is not a good look. If you are always busy runnning around following the next trend.....when do you have time to formulate your own likes/dislikes?

All I am saying is....like Drake because YOU like Drake.....or dislike Drake because YOU dislike Drake. That simple.

yeah, Drake sucks... i dont care what 12 million prepubescent girls and "sensitive dudes w/ class" think.

Every time the Motto comes on the radio a piece of 2pac's legacy fades into bolivian

There is nothing wrong with being aware or conscious of trends....but to have your foundation based on them is not a good look. If you are always busy runnning around following the next trend.....when do you have time to formulate your own likes/dislikes?
All I am saying is....like Drake because YOU like Drake.....or dislike Drake because YOU dislike Drake. That simple.
But like I said, consider the audience.  Teenagers, they're all over the place, it's understandable and expected

for young people to like what's popular.  Its a large part of adolescent devolpment on the way to figuring out who you are.  

Shifting between hairstyles, music, clothes etc.

I'm not saying this is a definite reason for why people like a particular artist or why people feel like the tide is turning on that artist

but when you look at the demographic it would be unreasonable to not expect peaks and lulls in popularity.

Last edited:
yeah, Drake sucks... i dont care what 12 million prepubescent girls and "sensitive dudes w/ class" think.
Every time the Motto comes on the radio a piece of 2pac's legacy fades into bolivian

:lol: My dude hates Drake so much no dambs were given.

Last edited:
Pitchfork also gave Ye's MBDTF 10/10 :rolleyes, but anyway back to the conversation at hand

:lol: I still remember the day "Over" dropped and the Drake slurpage going down on NT...fickle bunch so fickle; it just proves you guys like artists like you like shoes

couple wears and they are for sale to buy something new...it's todays youth

hate the kids "nasal" flow, always have tho lol
he seems more nasely now then before, i alway liked drizzy, even tho he does some suspect ****, he actually has bars, and i dont mind the singing if im faded

Back
Top Bottom